• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The GOTY 2020 is?

• Animal Crossing

Votes: 800 20.4%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 519 13.2%
  • Ghost of Tsushima

Votes: 364 9.3%
  • Doom Eternal

Votes: 160 4.1%
  • The Last of Us Part II

Votes: 1,427 36.3%
  • Hades

Votes: 657 16.7%

• Total voters

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I was sure they wouldn't nominate The Origami King for best score and so it doesn't bother me. Anyway, it confirms what I think of The Game Awards.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
GOTY is FF7R for me, nothing came close to putting as big of a smile on my face for the entire duration of the game. They absolutely nailed it.

Hades/TLoU2/Animal Crossing are all extremely close runner -ups.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
If Demons Souls had released some weeks ago I bet it would be on this list too.

TLoU2 should win this easily anyway.

Alecs27

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
IMHO:

Best Performance

Ashley Johnson, The Last of Us Part II

Best Multiplayer:
Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Best Ongoing Game:
Fortnite

Best Art Direction
Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Best Score/Music:
Final Fantasy VII Remake

Best Narrative:
The Last of Us Part II

Best Game Direction
Final Fantasy VII Remake

Game of the Year
The Last of Us Part II

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
So why is Demon's Souls totally absent, but AC Valhalla is nominated for action adventure? I don't quite understand what the eligibility criteria is

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's gotta be Animal Crossing if only because it's the covid zeitgeist, tho I dunno maybe that's more a "most impactful game of the year," but "game of the year" is inherently a nebulous title. Does it mean "best"? Or is it more like Time Magazine's person of the year? If we're just talkin IMPACT it's gotta be AC, right?

Alecs27

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
I just hope FFVII REMAKE wins best score.. it was on another level compared to EVERYTHING.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's surprising to see Alyx missing out here - it's not only an important game, it's also great!
Can't say that there wasn't any competition this year.

Out of the ones nominated, I only played 3 and my vote goes to Hades from those.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably either AC:NH or TLOU 2.

I'm more inclined to say Animal Crossing will win considering its impact on the pandemic and how it actually helped people cope with COVID-19 and doing quarantines. I think it's a very important factor to take into consideration for this year's GOTY. Of course, it's still an amazing game regardless of its impact.
Every game released this year helped people doing quarantines, this narrative that only AC did is annoying.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
If there's one game in 2020 people will remember in a decade, it's Animal Crossing New Horizons. Would be a great disservice for it not to win.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Also looking through the ongoing again, I'm real salty Ff14 got snubbed. 5.3 is some of the hypest shit of the year and it doesn't get anything?

Worthless awards.

Shadow bringers also got hella snubbed last year though, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
TLoU2 is the only actual goty bait, while Animal Crossing is the most popular, so it will win if its fans cares enough about the awards. It's between those 2.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
So why is Demon's Souls totally absent, but AC Valhalla is nominated for action adventure? I don't quite understand what the eligibility criteria is
Demon's Souls didn't send out early review code, so critics just started playing it last week on release day. Nominations probably closed at the end of last week. So Demon's Souls was technically eligible, but nobody had actually played enough of it to give it votes in serious numbers. Comparatively, critics have been hands on with Valhalla for a few weeks.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
FXHNHVN.jpeg

Oh shit. Two of my games going against each other, first time ever. I'm scared.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I know nobody is really talking about best streamer nomination but come on.. they have do better with that list imo...

-Alannah? Really? REALLY?!?! Why????
-Who TF is Jay?!?!!?! Never heard of her!
-Tim and Nick? ehhhhhh.. only warzone streamers? I know they are big over the summer with warzone, but it gets boring sometimes
-Valkrae? Awesome! she blew up and i really enjoy her streams especially with Among Us. I think shes the winner here.

They have to better better on these nominations imo. As for GOTY, easily Last of US 2 is going to win. It's so obvious. Animal Crossing needs a miracle to win at this point yet I think it deserves to win.
So long as they don't give it to NickMercs, they can do whatever they want.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a disappointing list. Why no Alyx, or Ori, or Flight Simulator, or something unique like Factorio? Mostly more homogenized AAA spectacles.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
Ori is one of the best games I've ever played. Alas, I knew it would be snubbed.

Hades deserves to win. I would love nothing more than to see Supergiant recognized in an official context.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Love all the praise Hades is getting, it's a really good game. Also if Animal Crossing wins best multiplayer I'll lose my mind because it has to be one of the most frustrating multiplayer experiences I've ever had.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I know we're talking about The Game Awards here, but I wonder if Geoff's involvement with Valve regarding Half-Life Alyx played any part in it not being nominated. It could be seen as a conflict of interest.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 and Doom Eternal (alongside 13 Sentinels) are the best games i played this year and I hope TLOU takes it because Doom certainly has no chance

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
While it's great for the game, selfishly I would have preferred if 13 Sentinels didn't get a nomination. Then I could've tuned this cacaphony out entirely, as usual.
But now there will be a constant debate of the narrative between the groundbreaking 13 Sentinels and the newest, tired Naughty Dog iteration, which I doubt I can refrain from. (Seems I've already started.)

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing was the most important game of the year. Last of Us was the single player critical darling. Hades the indie hit of the year.... hmm this could really go any way.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Every game released this year helped people doing quarantines, this narrative that only AC did is annoying.
I think ignoring the ways that AC, a game structurally designed around community, assisted people who were suddenly cut off from their own communities - is also annoying.

ACNH has some enormous flaws, but it's the only game on this list that I think absolutely NEEDS to be here. It's the definitive gaming experience of the year - if not the past decade - for countless people.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Hades and Ghosts were my favorites, but they are gonna get the last and second to last votes respectively. TLOU, D:E, and AC were worse games than their predecessors, and FFVII was a sloooooooog.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
While it's great for the game, selfishly I would have preferred if 13 Sentinels didn't get a nomination. Then I could've tuned this cacaphony out entirely, as usual.
But now there will be a constant debate of the narrative between 13 Sentinels and the newest, tired Naughty Dog iteration, which I doubt I can refrain from. (Seems I've already started.)

I'd 100% consider last of us the stronger narrative personally.

The real travesty is that 13 sentinels didn't get a nom for art direction. It's such a gorgeous game that it weirds me out it's not there.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
My twitter feed was full of people who got into gaming for the first time, or for the first time since they were kids, because of AC. That's a very different phenomenon from someone who dutifully put their 30 hours into TLOU2, just like they do every other similar title.