• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The GOTY 2020 is?

• Animal Crossing

Votes: 800 20.4%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 519 13.2%
  • Ghost of Tsushima

Votes: 364 9.3%
  • Doom Eternal

Votes: 160 4.1%
  • The Last of Us Part II

Votes: 1,427 36.3%
  • Hades

Votes: 657 16.7%

• Total voters

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
But that's not what's happening. Again, how can you expect people to vote for something they haven't experienced? Like it shouldn't be shocking news that not everyone has a $700+ PC and a $400+ VR rig on top of that. Your analogy doesn't work at all.

I would expect a games journalist to either buy or have access to an appropriate VR system. "I didn't buy a Switch" wouldn't fly as an excuse if someone didn't nominate Animal Crossing either.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Great list for GotY. However, I would replace Ghosts of Tsushima with Half-Life Alyx.
Ghosts was pretty good but I felt like it didn't do much out of the ordinary, however HL: Alyx was something special.

Tim-E

Oct 31, 2017
I get that TLOU2 is a technical marvel, but I really didn't like the last third of that game. I thought it was too long and I just in general didn't like the direction it went in. The first game is one of my favorite of the PS3 era and I get the praise for this, but it just isn't something I'll consider to be my favorite game of the year. Give it all to Hades.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is what is happening.

This is not some organization run on pennies decided by ad hoc community feedback, these are established industry journalists deciding on nominees through a formal process. And the process they have clearly settled on is weighted heavily toward mainstream games.
Your analogy doesn't work because movies are incredibly accessible, do you really think a VR title where the base cost for entry is like a grand is even in the same ballpark? People can't nominate things they haven't tried.

I would expect a games journalist to either buy or have access to an appropriate VR system. "I didn't buy a Switch" wouldn't fly as an excuse if someone didn't nominate Animal Crossing either.
Hm, I don't really agree with that tbf, but you're entitled to that viewpoint.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
I'll be happy if Any of those wins game of the year. I've played and enjoyed all of them except Hades who is the only game I still gotta play! Hoping to see it on a sale again soon.

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017
Did Demon's Souls not make a cut off time? The new presentation truly elevates that game to another level and should at least be a nominee

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be wary of using TLOU2 MC as proof it isn't divisive. We've seen games like Bioshock Infinite and Mass Effect 3 get huge 90+ Mc but prove too divisive at the end of the year to win GOTY.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Torn for best narrative between 13 Sentinels and TLOU2. Both stood out to me in very unique ways.

Jul 26, 2018
I know nobody is really talking about best streamer nomination but come on.. they have do better with that list imo...

-Alannah? Really? REALLY?!?! Why????
-Who TF is Jay?!?!!?! Never heard of her!
-Tim and Nick? ehhhhhh.. only warzone streamers? I know they are big over the summer with warzone, but it gets boring sometimes
-Valkrae? Awesome! she blew up and i really enjoy her streams especially with Among Us. I think shes the winner here.

They have to better better on these nominations imo. As for GOTY, easily Last of US 2 is going to win. It's so obvious. Animal Crossing needs a miracle to win at this point yet I think it deserves to win.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Saw screenshots of 13 Sentinels earlier last week and I wrote it off as another generic anime game. Seeing it nominated for best narrative makes me feel like I screwed up. Is it worth picking up?

I will say that you're supposed to have that impression of it. And unlike a lot of anime games, every character has agency. Since there are 13 playable main characters, there's zero ability to have everyone's life revolve around "you", the singular protagonist. It's easily one of the best sci-fi stories in recent memory. I don't even like mechs, but they aren't actually the focus. It's the character dynamics that matter.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, the Oscars are also an inherently unfair race. They're mostly a marketing competition - if you're not spending tens of millions of dollars on an FYC campaign to host screening parties, Q&As, and mail out screeners to Academy voters - you are not going to get a nomination.

All awards shows should be taken for what they are - a popularity contest among industry/press. Which can still be extremely fun to participate in. Just remember that your tastes aren't invalidated just because you disagree with the winners.

Actually that is only half right.

Award shows are 100% a marketing tool but they lean towards two different goals. Award shows like the Game Awards lean towards selling a product (in this case games) to us the consumers. Award shows like GDC lean towards attracting talent. Award shows have long history of being used as recruitment tools and that should not be forgotten.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
So two groups? There are a huge amount that are voting, not just VICE and Giant Bomb.
I've seen a lot of critics not like it, that's just the ones I could come up with at the top of my head. Maddy Tyler at Kotaku didn't really like it either.

I've seen far more consistent praise for Hades and Animal Crossing.

I mean Alanah Pearce had a spoiler cast the day after it came out in which there were 5 people, 2 loved it 2 hated it and she was just meh on it.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
There are plenty of games journalists that don't have all 3 consoles, much less VR systems. And many of them never get around to playing games that others nominate, simply because of time.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Following your logic, League of Legends should be nominated every year.

COD, Assassin Creed or similar games are nominated each year and they are basically the same game.

This is a horrible logic.

Out of 2020 those two games have entertained me (and millions more) via Let's Play or personal experience, more then any other on that list. The exception is Animal Crossing which I return to daily due to their gameplay loop.

-

Doesn't matter anyway.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Overall, I feel most of the candidates in the categories where mostly expected, I would have liked to see Ori in the top 6 over GOTY though. Nice to see Hades in the Goty. It's my personal favorite.

I think it's between Animal Crossing and TloU2 though, and even if I did not enjoy Animal Crossing it checks off a lot of stuff and it's impact is probably hard to ignore. It probably helped more people through covid than I can imagine.

My biggest omissions are Xenoblade Chronicles and Paper Mario Origami King was not in the Score category, that's pitiful. If FFVII Remake can get nominate theb XC definitely should.

I also miss A Short Hike in the indie selection, I know it released on AA last year but that hasnt stopped nominees before.

Arent there more categories though? Or they get released at a later date?

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2

One of the most ambitious games ever made and they mostly pull it off. Unbelievably good on pretty much every level.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
This list is missing Demon's Souls, Ori and the Will of the Wisp, Half-Life Alyx and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. I'm usually pretty in-line with game awards nominee but this is the first year where I feel like it almost completely missed the mark.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Was COD: Cold War in the running this year? That game legit got no love.

Also, FF7 for GOTY is fair but art direction and narrative? The story was pretty sloppy tbh, and I don't really remember the art direction being that noteworthy.

Big question is whether Ashley or Lauren deserves to win Best Performance. They better give it to Lauren. She had the harder performance. And it would be glorious to see her on that stage with a standing ovation to throw salt at all the haters.

Laura should be a shoe-in for this award. One of the best performances in gaming, ever.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I predict this is going to be the exact same situation as it was in 2018. Last of Us will win all the Awards and Hades will win Goty.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I really loved DOOM Eternal and think it's a better game than DOOM 2016 but it's got a lot of weird story bits that don't work and can feel very gimmicky. Not GOTY material!

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Hades is what gaming is all about, glad to see it nominated and I hope it wins against the AAA competition.