• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Additionally, this year's ceremony will introduce the new innovation in accessibly award, recognizing software and/or hardware developers that are pushing the medium forward by adding features, technology and content to help games be played and enjoyed by a wider audience.

This is very good!

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Sep 7, 2020
This has honestly turned into a mini E3 for me personally. I get hype for the world premiers generally more so than the awards to games( which should obviously be championed and acknowledged for sure as devs put their hearts and souls into these games). Can't wait to see some new games. My personal wish list would be

1. MVC4 or some Capcom vs game
2. Elden Ring gameplay trailer
3. Cool new IPs
4. MGS 3 remake
5. Starfield Teaser (what is that game going to be?)
6. GOW2 gameplay trailer.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are Cyberpunk and Hyrule Warriors eligible for this by any chance? Or are they coming out to close to the end of the year?

Anyway BotW2 please.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be honest, it would kinda be a bit of cheating to artificially strech the GOTY nomination deadline just to fit in Cyberpunk 2077.

The deadline has always changed from year to year, and only one of the seven years so far has had a deadline before November 19.

Every other year has had a deadline between November 22-27.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, it would kinda be a bit of cheating to artificially strech the GOTY nomination deadline just to fit in Cyberpunk 2077.

If Smash got GOTY nominations after almost a full year since the first launch, Cyberpunk 2077 can definitely wait until 2021. (There would also be the issue of bias due to it being rather fresh on people's mind so yeah, it could impact the process.
I agree. Not to mention that only a tiny percentage of people will have even beaten the game by the time the game awards happen. Let alone the deadline for fan voting.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Are Cyberpunk and Hyrule Warriors eligible for this by any chance? Or are they coming out to close to the end of the year?

Anyway BotW2 please.

AoC is November 20th, right? A day after Cyberpunk.

Well, if they're willing to stretch the cutoff date for Cyberpunk, AoC might be eligible too. But i don't think it will have any real chance to even be considered.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
If I remember correctly, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order missed last year's deadline by one single day and that's why it wasn't nominated for any category. Curious how they'll handle Cyberpunk then.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

If Smash got GOTY nominations after almost a full year since the first launch, Cyberpunk 2077 can definitely wait until 2021. (There would also be the issue of bias due to it being rather fresh on people's mind so yeah, it could impact the process.

True but also they need to extend the deadline permanently anyway. Always been ridiculous having it in the middle of November.

This year is as good as any to move it back.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I love The Game Awards, highlight at the end of the year.

Definitely will take the Friday off to enjoy it all without dying the next day at work.

Rooting for TLOU2, a flawed masterpiece, but a masterpiece nonetheless.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Strong year for GOTY contenders IMO, especially on PlayStation. Imagine having to pick between GoT, TLoU Part 2 and FF7R...

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I figure but in the off chance I was curious.

HW1 is a legit great game.

Oh this wasn't a shot at it's quality, just that it's a spinoff in a niche genre. The "Zelda" in the title isn't a free pass for any nomination. ^^

Being honest with you, i'll probably play this game as much, if not more then Demons Souls on my by then freshly delivered PS5. ^^

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
this

it's definitely gonna happen tho

The mere fact that they are having the pre-assumption that 2077 will be GOTY worthy even before the full game comes out, this means they probably will.

If I remember correctly, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order missed last year's deadline by one single day and that's why it wasn't nominated for any category. Curious how they'll handle Cyberpunk then.

Actually it was given an honorary mention in the Fan Vote category if I recall correctly. IMO if they want to give 2077 anything, that's the right way to do so.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

They might be eligible. Only one year has had a cutoff date that would exclude them. That said, it is the most recent year.

Past Game Awards cut-off dates

2014 - November 25
2015 - November 24
2016 - November 24
2017 - November 27
2018 - November 22
2019 - November 15

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
There's no way 7 Remake is gonna win (TLOU 2 is for sure going to take it), but it won my heart and that's all that matters ;-;

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
On my birthday, huh? The day I turn 30. Just hand the big award to Part II, we all know it's the best game released in years.
Also, please show us some huge surprises, please... (Elden Ring)

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game that definitely deserves it but definitely will lose to the usual third person action-adventure genre.

TLOU2 is just not a usual third person action - adventure

Yes Gameplay Wise Alyx took bold steps but even TLOU 2 took bold steps with its non linear story telling approach backed up with amazing gameplay and presentations