• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

variety.com

The Game Awards to Stream Live From Los Angeles, London and Tokyo on Dec. 10

Not only are The Game Awards still happening this year -- they're taking place in three different locations.

"The thing that I'm worried about more than anything is that — there's so much anticipation for the show — is that we don't have big games to announce to the fans, then that becomes a disappointment too. So I talked to all the game companies and they're like 'no, we've got great content to kind of show fans around games,' and they're really excited to show that," he says. "So yeah, it's gonna be a super interesting at the end of the year to see what comes out at the top."

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
say hello to your GOTY for 2020

HalfLifeAlyx-20200403-v2.jpg

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Hoping for a horizon forbidden west launch date if we don't already have it.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The way the first and last frames of that short video are identical is mesmerizing to me when I restart the video.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Will Cyberpunk 2077 make the GOTY deadline?

MAYBE

It also makes for an eclectic mix of potential game of the year nominees — Keighley points to everything from "Animal Crossing" to "The Last of Us Part II" to "Fall Guys" to "Ghost of Tsushima" as possible candidates in that race ("Cyberpunk 2077" comes out on Nov. 19, right on the edge of eligibility, "so we're still figuring out how that's going to work out," he notes).

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
That's neat. I guess this helps avoid having people all travel to the US to attend, which wouldn't be recommended right now. I'll be quite impressed if they pull this off.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh boy. even with him managing expectations for gamescom opening night live, it ended up being a big snoozefest so i hope this show delivers as far as trailers and new announcements go.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's a small nitpick (I am a gamer, after all) but the generally used acronym for London is LDN, not LND.

Edit: maybe it isn't? apparently LND is used too. I don't feel, as a Brit, that I've ever seen it before.

qnyyvdZ.jpg

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
Finally a chance for a showing for Elden Ring, captured from a build running on a next gen SKU 🙏🏼

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Neat. These have been getting better every year. Interested to see what it has in store for the weird calamity that this year has been.

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
Via the Variety article, seem's we're in for a treat

"The thing that I'm worried about more than anything is that — there's so much anticipation for the show — is that we don't have big games to announce to the fans, then that becomes a disappointment too. So I talked to all the game companies and they're like 'no, we've got great content to kind of show fans around games,' and they're really excited to show that," he says. "So yeah, it's gonna be a super interesting at the end of the year to see what comes out at the top."

Full article: https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/the-game-awards-2020-date-location-geoff-keighley-1234780051/

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Cyberpunk 2077:
And luckily, the gaming industry has continued to churn out products amid the pandemic, making it possible to secure some of the big announcements The Game Awards has become known for. It also makes for an eclectic mix of potential game of the year nominees — Keighley points to everything from "Animal Crossing" to "The Last of Us Part II" to "Fall Guys" to "Ghost of Tsushima" as possible candidates in that race ("Cyberpunk 2077" comes out on Nov. 19, right on the edge of eligibility, "so we're still figuring out how that's going to work out," he notes).

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
I'll be honest, it would kinda be a bit of cheating to artificially strech the GOTY nomination deadline just to fit in Cyberpunk 2077.

If Smash got GOTY nominations after almost a full year since the first launch, Cyberpunk 2077 can definitely wait until 2021. (There would also be the issue of bias due to it being rather fresh on people's mind so yeah, it could impact the process.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love the graphic design work and colours around this, though I'm not sure it necessarily screams gaming. Feels like it might be better suited to a fashion design award or something. It does stand out and look sophisticated though.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'll be honest, it would kinda be a bit of cheating to artificially strech the GOTY nomination deadline just to fit in Cyberpunk 2077.

If Smash got GOTY nominations after almost a full year since the first launch, Cyberpunk 2077 can definitely wait until 2021. (There would also be the issue of bias due to it being rather fresh on people's mind so yeah, it could impact the process.
this

it's definitely gonna happen tho