• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
Yes it is. Jeff IS the TGAs. You say they suck and you're saying be sucks. Now tell him you love him because he is probably reading and crying.
*Geoff

I'd think he'd appreciate the criticism. I'll always appreciate how much he puts into the show.

This show evolved past the Spike era into something legitimate. The last couple years dropped several bombs and left people wondering. Ending with a rough Fast and the Furious game, it feels like a large step back.

Anyway, I'm happy for From. On to E3

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It's hilariously that some producer thought any one would be interested in a shitty looking Vin Diesel lead Fast & Furious racing game in 2019.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's just.... There are so many other things that were shown earlier in the show that they could've ended the show on. The Xbox Series X would've been great, hell you could even have Phil Spencer announce what the GOTY is.

SammyMiami

Feb 26, 2019
Man that next gen Xbox reveal was weeeeeeeeeird. I think it was a decent show actually, the lack of show stopping reveal/trailer is probably what's holding it back honestly.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly really wish Geoff had actual developers presenting the awards instead of random celebreties, half of which feel like they're here only to get a paycheck

This is still one of my biggest complaints about the show. You don't have random professionals from other industries presenting artists with Emmy and Grammy awards, yet Geoff seemingly wants this to be the equivalent of those for the game industry.

I think last year I said that the preshow should be where all the reveals happen and the show itself should be nothing but awards, and I stand by that. Instead of having 2-3 awards given out in a minute in the preshow, save them for the ceremony itself instead of treating them as if they're "lesser than" (and if that's how you feel about them, don't have them as awards in the first place). It just feels really unprofessional still in certain aspects, even if it's the closest "professional" award the industry has right now.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me realize how much the announcements have been propping up the show for me. Maybe time for a little self reflection.

I think the game industry really does need a professional rewards show like this but no one is actually watching for the rewards.
I feel like the show itself treats most of the awards as afterthoughts and even those that are given a decent amount of time feel really off because the presenters have little to nothing to do with the games industry 90% of the time

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly really wish Geoff had actual developers presenting the awards instead of random celebreties, half of which feel like they're here only to get a paycheck
That's what the GDC and DICE awards are for. The Game Awards are a big dumb entertainment spectacle akin to the MTV Music awards. A dumb entertainment spectacle that I love mind you but there is a place for a more straight forward dry awards show and the industry has that already.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
My only real disappointment in terms of the show itself was the incredibly strange decision to have Fast & Furious be the final reveal.

It's unfair to get upset at the lack of big reveals, as we're about to enter the final year of a generation.

Something is wrong with Batman though.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great show! Opening up with the new Xbox and Hellblade II was amazing.

I won free copies of A Plague Tale, Her Story, and Death Stranding for having the awards streaming on Steam, too!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is still one of my biggest complaints about the show. You don't have random professionals from other industries presenting artists with Emmy and Grammy awards, yet Geoff seemingly wants this to be the equivalent of those for the game industry.
Yep. It'd add more autheticity to the awards, plus it'd also probably bring down the costs substantially which might mean we could get less shitty ads and sponsors for a better overall experience

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
This makes me realize how much the announcements have been propping up the show for me. Maybe time for a little self reflection.

I think the game industry really does need a professional rewards show like this but no one is actually watching for the rewards.

There is one and its been around for a while now. lol

People just don't watch it and that should change but TRUE BLUE GAMERS want game announcements and esports.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I think he does it to attract companies. It's probably hard to sell a gaming show to Samsung without having some stars there you can namedrop,

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
It's weird. I feel this was the best TGAs ever in terms of games being properly recognized. Almost without exception, the most-deserving nominee won for every category.

And yet I also felt like this year's TGAs were the most incredibly flat presentation and announcement-wise. Literally nothing announced excited me. Which would have been fine if this was your standard, celebratory run-of-the-mill awards show to celebrate the industry but with the majority of the awards sidebarred to Geoff rhyming off a bunch of winner names and nobody accepting anything, it wasn't that at all. A lot of great games won tonight but I feel most of the people watching at home that didn't know what these games are or brought to the table or why they should seek them out still have no clue about what makes any of them unique or special... even Sekiro. And that's a real shame.

The only award that felt like a big deal was the Indie Game of the Year award and that's 'cause Reggie made it feel like a big deal.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
*Geoff

I'd think he'd appreciate the criticism. I'll always appreciate how much he puts into the show.

This show evolved past the Spike era into something legitimate. The last couple years dropped several bombs and left people wondering. Ending with a rough Fast and the Furious game, it feels like a large step back.

Anyway, I'm happy for From. On to E3

He puts a tweet out asking for feedback and I do take the time to reply because I think there's a higher chance he'd read it compared to other folks asking for feedback. (I said I wish fighting games got more representation during the esports stuff and that they didn't cut industry icon this year)

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's what the GDC and DICE awards are for. The Game Awards are a big dumb entertainment spectacle akin to the MTV Music awards. A dumb entertainment spectacle that I love mind you but there is a place for a more straight forward dry awards show and the industry has that already.
You can have the spectacle and not have presenters who don't seem to give a single shit about what they're actually presenting

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this must be a terrible way of actually announcing your game. They played that 'WORLD PREMIERE' bumper like 40 times and I can remember maybe 2 or 3 games that were actually announced here. Just a blur of CG trailers and "exciting new fantasy worlds!".

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think he does it to attract companies. It's probably hard to sell a gaming show to Samsung without having some stars there you can namedrop,
I mean maybe, but the appearances themselves also can't be cheap so I'm not sure how it actually balances out, and it's already proven to get millions of views so if I feel like it's obviously proven successful

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

You also don't have the Emmys and Grammys putting out constant promos for upcoming movies and albums.

A very very small percentage of people watching would tune in if there was no marketing tie-in, just the sad nature of it/this industry

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Geoff you're a cool guy and I know you try you're absolute best with these things. But this showing was a big step down from the last few years.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird. I feel this was the best TGAs ever in terms of games being properly recognized. Almost without exception, the most-deserving nominee won for every category.

And yet I also felt like this year's TGAs were the most incredibly flat presentation and announcement-wise. Literally nothing announced excited me. Which would have been fine if this was your standard, celebratory run-of-the-mill awards show to celebrate the industry but with the majority of the awards sidebarred to Geoff rhyming off a bunch of winner names and nobody accepting anything, it wasn't that at all. A lot of great games won tonight but I feel most of the people watching at home that didn't know what these games are or brought to the table or why they should seek them out still have no clue about what makes any of them unique or special... even Sekiro. And that's a real shame.

The only award that felt like a big deal was the Indie Game of the Year award and that's 'cause Reggie made it feel like a big deal.

You mean the "Fresh Indie Game presented by Subway"? Of all the categories to brand...

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You also don't have the Emmys and Grammys putting out constant promos for upcoming movies and albums.

A very very small percentage of people watching would tune in if there was no marketing tie-in, just the sad nature of it/this industry
I think the announcements are fine, you can make it about celebrating the future of gaming as well as the preceding year. But the random celebrities with zero ties to the industry and random bands really take me out of it personally

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this must be a terrible way of actually announcing your game. They played that 'WORLD PREMIERE' bumper like 40 times and I can remember maybe 2 or 3 games that were actually announced here. Just a blur of CG trailers and "exciting new fantasy worlds!".

I can't even remember the name of the game, but they showed one that was like an eight second clip of a dark and maybe stormy forest that looked like it was for a UE4 demo. The name flashed, and that was it. It was from playerunknown or something. It seemed like something actually went wrong with the reveal, since it showed absolutely nothing.

edit: Oh, it was Prologue. They must have literally meant that it was the prologue of a reveal.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

World Premiere has become BREAKING NEWS of Video Games.

Used so much it means nothing now.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019

I don't blame him. Think about the bigger picture. The games industry barely has 'celebrities'. It's the general cheat code for other award shows and gets those viewers to check in. What do we have? Trailers can only do so much, but put Vin Diesel, Green Day, and Chvrches up there and you get audiences who normally wouldn't check this shit out suddenly giving it a glance.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

At the same time...do they need to? If people don't want to tune in and watch, then the industry should just stick with something a bit more closed doors that already exists like the GDC Awards. I think having constant bombardments of ads takes away from the people that the night should be about.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the announcements are fine, you can make it about celebrating the future of gaming as well as the preceding year. But the random celebrities with zero ties to the industry and random bands really take me out of it personally

Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez were there to promote a game
Green Day has DLC for Beat Saber

Nothing random about it.