• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just salt because it's a divisive game some love and some truly hate, if Jeff wasn't in the game people would've found some other reason to disprove the win.

People should've accepted that it would win when the nominees were shown and just move on and use their energy for other things, DS honestly has no real competition this year, it's clearly the most talked about game this year and has received the most 10/10.

My advice, just accept the DS win and move on, get the negativity out of the system, then the spectacle of this show might actually be fun to watch, lots of trailers will be shown and some important industry people will be there.
The chances are really high that it won't win the TGA GOTY award. Posting stuff like "just accept the DS win and move on" so that people can act suprised tomorrow and write stuff like "Wow. It did not win. lmao." is pretty lame.
Some of you here need to relax. It's just one GOTY award out of hundreds. Chill and enjoy the show.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Curious(/hoping) we'll see a MUA3 dlc pack 2 trailer here, been dying for news and the show loves having successful games come back.
Edit: So what if Rogue Squadron Trilogy switch is announced tomorrow?

Last edited:

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Geoff said the new sales will be happening this morning, ETA would be like, what, 9AM ?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The chances are really high that it won't win the TGA GOTY award. Posting stuff like "just accept the DS win and move on" so that people can act suprised tomorrow and write stuff like "Wow. It did not win. lmao." is pretty lame.
Some of you here need to relax. It's just one GOTY award out of hundreds. Chill and enjoy the show.
Bummer, you got me, I totally said it has no competition just to set up for that surprised post.

/s

Seriously, what else can compete? For real now?

Smash? It's just fan noise at this point.
RE2? Horror game, not enough widespread appeal.
Sekiro? It's a core game for the minor hardcore gamer crowd.
Outer World? I wish! But nah, not realistic.
The rest? Not happening.

DS isn't just talked about as the best game of the year, people see it as a contender for the best game of the generation. It's doing something new. The overly negative reviews are less than a handful.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bummer, you got me, I totally said it has no competition just to set up for that surprised post.

/s

Seriously, what else can compete? For real now?

Smash? It's just fan noise at this point.
RE2? Horror game, not enough widespread appeal.
Sekiro? It's a core game for the minor hardcore gamer crowd.
Outer World? I wish! But nah, not realistic.
The rest? Not happening.

DS isn't just talked about as the best game of the year, people see it as a contender for the best game of the generation. It's doing something new. The overly negative reviews are less than a handful.
The fan votes count for almost nothing (Only 10% of the final result. 90% from the jury). So it's all about the jury and yeah...
Who has better chances than DS in my opinion, because it's all about the TGA jury? Smash, RE2 and Sekiro.

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
Smash outscored anything nominated for a GOTY by a ridiculously large margin. If it doesn't win, something is fucked up.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Can't wait to see Ghosts but it also puts a damper on the possibility of Elden Ring. I don't see them having two similar games like that in one show. I know they are not set in the same time period, but they are both open-world sword melee games. :(

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
I'm a huge FE 3H supporter too but we might as well let this go. Lol Nintendo and Intelligent Systems knows the game got alotta praise and it had great sales. Thats what truly mattera
Because not enough judges voted for it.

It's bizarre, because 3 Houses is not some tiny indie game nobody played. It sold millions and it was praised by every reviewer out there.... the same reviewers that were part of this "committee".

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
Ah, yes, the significantly large margin of two points on MC between RE2 and Smash.

Besides, aggregate scores have no bearing on what game will win the GotY award. It doesn't work that way.

That's bs. There is a strong correlation between having a high metascore and dominating GOTY lists. Now imagine a game with 12 points lower getting GOTY. That would raise some eyebrows.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
It's bizarre, because 3 Houses is not some tiny indie game nobody played. It sold millions and it was praised by every reviewer out there.... the same reviewers that were part of this "committee".

Hey, I agree that this committee should probably be closer examined but there comes a point where things just get unnecessary and tiresome. I used to be very upset that FE3H really wasn't getting the shine it deserves but its okay. I love the game and you do too. Thats what matters.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
My predictions underlined and bold:

Game of the Year
- Control
- Death Stranding
- Resident Evil 2
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- The Outer Worlds
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Best Game Direction
- Control (Remedy/505 Games)
- Death Stranding (Kojima Productions/SIE)
- Resident Evil 2 (Capcom/Capcom)
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (From Software/Activision)
- Outer Wilds (Mobius Digital/Annapurna)

Best Narrative
- A Plague Tale: Innocence (Asobo/Focus Home)
- Control (Remedy/505)
- Disco Elysium (ZA/UM)
- The Outer Worlds (Obsidian/Private Division)

Best Art Direction Presented by Samsung QLED
- Control (Remedy/505)
- Gris (Nomada Studio/Devolver)
- Sayonara Wild Hearts (Simogo/Annapurna)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Grezzo/Nintendo)

Best Score/Music

- Cadence of Hyrule (Brace Yourself Games/Nintendo)
- Devil May Cry 5 (Capcom)
- Kingdom Hearts III (Square Enix)

Best Audio Design
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Infinity Ward/Activision)
- Control (Remedy/505)
- Gears 5 (The Coalition/Xbox Game Studios)
- Resident Evil 2 (Capcom)

Best Performance
- Ashly Burch as Parvati Holcomb, The Outer Worlds
- Courtney Hope as Jesse Faden, Control
- Laura Bailey as Kait Diaz, Gears 5
- Mads Mikkelsen as Cliff, Death Stranding
- Matthew Porretta as Dr. Casper Darling, Control
- Norman Reedus as Sam Porter Bridges, Death Stranding

Best Action/Adventure Game
- Borderlands 3 (Gearbox/2K)
- Control (Remedy/505 Games)
- Resident Evil 2 (Capcom)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Grezzo/Nintendo)

Best RPG

- Disco Elysium (ZA/UM)
- Final Fantasy XIV (Square Enix)
- Kingdom Hearts III (Square Enix)
- Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (Capcom)
- The Outer Worlds (Obsidian/Private Division)

Best Fighting Game

- Dead or Alive 6 (Team Ninja/Koei Tecmo)
- Jump Force (Spike Chunsoft/Bandai Namco)
- Mortal Kombat 11 (NetherRealm/WBIE)
- Samurai Showdown (SNK/Athlon)
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Bandai Namco/Sora/Nintendo)

Best Family Game

- Luigi's Mansion 3 (Next Level Games/Nintendo)
- Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)
- Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Bandai Namco/Sora/Nintendo)
- Yoshi's Crafted World (Good-Feel/Nintendo)

Best Strategy Game
- Age of Wonders: Planetfall (Triumph Studios/Paradox)
- Anno 1800 (Blue Byte/Ubisoft)
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Intelligent Systems/Koei Tecmo/Nintendo)
- Total War: Three Kingdoms (Creative Assembly/Sega)
- Tropico 6 (Limbic Entertainment/Kalypso Media)
- Wargroove (Chucklefish)

Best Sports/Racing Game
- Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (Beenox/Activision)

- DiRT Rally 2.0 (Codemasters)
- eFootball Pro Evolution Soccer 2020 (PES Productions/Konami)
- F1 2019 (Codemasters)
- FIFA 20 (EA Sports)

Best Multiplayer Game
- Apex Legends (Respawn/EA)

- Borderlands 3 (Gearbox/2K)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Infinity Ward/Activision)
- Tetris 99 (Arika/Nintendo)
- Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (Massive Entertainment/Ubisoft)

Fresh Indie Game Studio presented by Subway
- ZA/UM for Disco Elysium
- Nomada Studio for Gris
- DeadToast Entertainment for My Friend Pedro
- Mobius Digital for Outer Wilds
- Mega Crit for Slay the Spire
- House House for Untitled Goose Game

Games for Impact
- Concrete Genie (Pixelopus/SIE)
- Gris (Nomada Studio/Devolver)
- Kind Words (Popcannibal)
- Life is Strange 2 (Dontnod/Square Enix)
- Sea of Solitude (Jo-Mei Games/EA)

Best Ongoing Game
- Apex Legends (Respawn)
- Destiny 2 (Bungie)
- Fortnite (Epic Games)
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

Best Community Support

- Apex Legends (Respawn/EA)
- Destiny 2 (Bungie)
- Fortnite (Epic Games)
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

Best Independent Game

- Baba Is You (Hempuli)
- Disco Elysium (ZA/UM)
- Katana ZERO (Askiisoft/Devoler)
- Outer Wilds (Mobius Digital/Annapurna)
- Untitled Goose Game (House House/Panic)

Best Mobile Game

- Call of Duty: Mobile (TiMi Studios/Activision)
- GRINDSTONE (Capybara Games)
- Sky: Children of Light (Thatgamecompany)
- What the Golf? (Tribland)

Best VR/AR Game
- Asgard's Wrath (Sanzaru Games/Oculus Studios)
- Blood & Truth (SIE London Studio/SIE)
- Beat Saber (Beat Games)
- No Man's Sky (Hello Games)
- Trover Saves the Universe (Squanch Games)

Best Esports Game
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (Valve)
- Dota 2 (Valve)
- Fortnite (Epic Games)
- League of Legends (Riot Games)
- Overwatch (Blizzard Entertainment)

Best Esports Player
- Kyle "Bugha" Giersdorf (Immortals, Fortnite)

- Lee "Faker" Sang-hyeok (SK Telecom T1, League of Legends)
- Luka "Perkz" Perkovic (G2 Esports, League of Legends)
- Oleksandr "S1mple" Kostyliev (Natus Vincere, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive)
- Jay "Sinatraa" Won (San Francisco Shock, Overwatch League)

Best Esports Team
- Astralis (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive)
- G2 Esports (League of Legends)
- OG (Dota 2)
- San Francisco Shock (Overwatch League)
- Team Liquid (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive)

Best Esports Coach
- Eric "adreN" Hoag (Team Liquid, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive)
- Nu-ri "Cain" Jang (Team Liquid, League of Legends)
- Fabian "GrabbZ" Lohmann (G2 Esports, League of Legends)
- Kim "Kkoma" Jeong-gyun (SK Telecom T1, League of Legends)
- Titouan "Sockshka" Merloz (OG, Dota 2)
- Danny "Zonic" Sørensen (Astralis, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive)

Best Esports Event
- 2019 League of Legends World Championship

- 2019 Overwatch League Grand Finals
- EVO 2019
- Fortnite World Cup
- IEM Katowice 2019
- The International 2019

Best Esports Host
- Alex "Goldenboy" Mendez
- Alex "Machine" Richardson
- Duan "Candice" Yu-Shuang
- Eefje "Sjokz" Depoortere
- Paul "Redeye" Chaloner

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Why was Fire Emblem Three Houses, one of the highest rated games of this year, snubbed out of a GOTY nomination?

Because it's a niche genre that doesn't fit in the story driven third person adventure that the mainstream press only vote for these kind of awards.

It's already weird enough that a fighting game is there. Everybody knows what to expect from the Oscars, this is not different...

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I like your thinking!

Geoff, please get an avatar. It would make me so happy.
I even made you one if you don't wanna look for one.

unknown.png

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
Because it's a niche genre that doesn't fit in the story driven third person adventure that the mainstream press only vote for these kind of awards.

It's already weird enough that a fighting game is there. Everybody knows what to expect from the Oscars, this is not different...

But fucking Death Stranding gets nominated. A game that had a mixed reception and it's way more niche than FE, at least as far as gameplay.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
But fucking Death Stranding gets nominated. A game that had a mixed reception and it's way more niche than FE, at least as far as gameplay.

Mixed reception yes but Death Stranding is a graphical and technical masterpiece in terms of quality. Fire Emblem isn't. Therefore, it totally deserves it. Sure the gameplay is hit or miss on DS, but everything else from story to soundtrack to characters to voice acting to graphics to cinematics are all ten times better than Fire Emblem.

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
Mixed reception yes but Death Stranding is a graphical and technical masterpiece in terms of quality. Fire Emblem isn't. Therefore, it totally deserves it. Sure the gameplay is hit or miss on DS, but everything else from story to soundtrack to characters to voice acting to graphics to cinematics are all ten times better than Fire Emblem.

How are you gonna tell me with a straight face that being a technical masterpiece is better than having top notch gameplay and level design? Goddamn. And I can make an argument that FE also has the best music of the year.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Cut the conspiracy theories, dude. Stop taking TGAs so damn seriously.

Look, man, I'm a big fan of what FE: Three Houses accomplished but Soulnado isn't gonna accept it regardless of what we saw. Three Houses was a good game and I don't wanna take anything away from that. In fact, I played it twice after Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (here's to hoping we get more DLC news tomorrow for this?) but Three Houses is no where close to the quality of Death Stranding.

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
User Banned (5 Days): Trolling Over Multiple Posts; Prior Warning for Similar Behavior; Account in Junior Phase
More people feel it's a better game. It certainly got more perfect scores than FE.

Passionate DS fans would sell their souls to trade those perfect scores for the metacritic score 3 Houses has. You know it.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How are you gonna tell me with a straight face that being a technical masterpiece is better than having top notch gameplay and level design? Goddamn. And I can make an argument that FE also has the best music of the year.
Death Stranding has top notch gameplay. One of the reasons why it already won 8 GOTY awards. And rightfully so.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, in no way something that is panned by a great number of people top-notch.
It seems to have been criticized more for its intent than the quality of its execution, particularly in terms of its gameplay. I don't think top-notch is an inappropriate description, especially when so much of the critical reception is lavish praise. The relatively small numbers of weaker scores don't change that.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
How are you gonna tell me with a straight face that being a technical masterpiece is better than having top notch gameplay and level design? Goddamn.

Congratulations, top notch gameplay and level design. I'm not trying to start a war here, I've even said in a post before this one that I enjoyed FE: Three Houses and played it twice. I have almost nothing against the game besides it's replay value being kind of worthless to me because the game grows old. A lot of the school aspects get old, the support stuff is a lot weaker compared to something like Persona 4 and 5. It's school mechanics like doing daily activities rapidly becomes old and on top of that, the story after the first playthrough is alright. However, with that being said, you can get defensive all you want however, Death Stranding has achieved graphics that no other video games have managed to accomplished this generation. Death Stranding's cutscenes are the highest quality any game has achieved this generation. Death Stranding also on top of that managed to help connect gamers around the world change a world that everyone takes apart in even while being alone in their own world while playing the game. No matter how much you fight for Fire Emblem: Three Houses to be a GOTY Nominee, it isn't gonna change the situation lol.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Ah, yes, that must be why BotW won in 2017.

What makes you think BOTW doesn't fit in that category?!

What you won't see receive a general goty award in these shows are games like Baba is you, which lack the mainstream appeal and doesn't have a PR machine behind them (and are probably too complicated for some critics...).

BOTW or DS? Yes, they fit perfectly. Even if I believe the second one is just a pretty poorly designed game.

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Passionate DS fans would sell their souls to trade those perfect scores for the metacritic score 3 Houses has. You know it.

As someone who puts DS as my favourite game this year, how about you don't put words in my mouth, think me to be some sort of loser who cares about garbage like metacritic scores among other things that you so casually assume of people who love the game, you rude person who have, in this conversation shown zero ability to empathise with another person's preference in games.