• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Out of those nominated, what's your pick for Game Of The Year

• Control

Votes: 368 9.8%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 784 21.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 999 26.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 687 18.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 627 16.8%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 272 7.3%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
If sales were that important a bunch of other games would be in over Control.

Your point about the review scores is valid but I can't respect Yoshi doing the same shit that has been done a few times already in past games. Concrete Genie's drawing mechanic is sublime and does allow kids to have more creative freedom and more interesting interactions with their creations. Concrete Genie is pushing technical achievements that other games don't even bother to try. Yoshi is well designed but a very safely made game.
Perhaps they just preferred Yoshi to Concrete Genie, even if it maybe a more unique game, albeit I'm gonna raise my eyebrows at it pushing technical achievements. Maybe they just treat the Family category as the Nintendo category. Who's to say? I don't have any horse in this race, as I don't care for either game. I'm just saying that it's not exactly odd that Yoshi is on there over Concrete Genie

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Talking about the poll, my top 3 is Control, Death Stranding and RE2, in no order. It has been a good year.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I have not played DS,Control and very little of Sekiro(way too hard for me) and I cannot give RE2 and Outer Worlds game of the year status,even though I liked them very much and I dont have a Switch so yeah...guess my favorite is RE2 so I will go with that.

Also I feel Days Gone should of had a few nominations at least,mainly in game direction and story...

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
It would be quite entertaining.

If they ever did do one, which 5/6 games do you guys think would be nominated?

I think
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- The Last of Us
- Red Dead Redemption
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Dark Souls

.... wow all of those are open world except TLOU lol

Edit: added DS

That's a pretty solid list to be fair; although you could also make a case for GTA V over RDR. Either one's good though.

Also I guess if you wanted to include a game for mainstream appeal or influence something like Fortnite or Minecraft would be on there?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Fighting game award is going to disappear next year. Whats even coming out ,except new GG,KOF and Granblue ?
FGs are all moving towards GAAS model. SFV,Tekken,Smash Ultimate,MK..etc are all going to only get updated and not get new games for a long time.

I wonder if they just submit their nominees or their individual GOTYs in each category.

In that case something like Jump Force getting in makes sense. Am guessing most of them just picked whatever released.

There had to be at least 5 noms and I take it they all forgot Power Rangers BFTG existed, or never even knew about it to begin with

I think they never cared and just picked what comes up when you google " Fighting games released in 2019" lol.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Really underwhelming list for me, and missing Luigi's Mansion 3 and Gears 5. Didn't Smash come out last year? I like Control but it was a 7/10 for me and really shit the bed with the upgrade system and checkpoints. RE2 was amazing, Smash and Sekiro are not for me at all, and Death Stranding doesn't seem like a game I would enjoy either so I guess I can't really comment on those. I played Smash and Sekiro but only like 2 hours of smash before shelving it, and Sekiro I lasted like 6 hours. Gears 5 got robbed for sure though, that game is fucking sweet.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
The ubiquitous criticism of Sekiro is that its too hard (which is also linked to its most rewarding elements).

Its a reason for some to not play it, but its not a fault or legitimate criticism of the game, its intentional and its fair, it just means the game's not for everyone.

If the criticism relates to personal skillset or preference and not a fault with the game then.......well, I'm saying Sekiro is the obvious GOTY and any other opinion is invalid......IMO. :-)

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It would be quite entertaining.

If they ever did do one, which 5/6 games do you guys think would be nominated?

I think
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- The Last of Us
- Red Dead Redemption
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Dark Souls

.... wow all of those are open world except TLOU lol

Edit: added DS

Minecraft
DotA 2 (or LoL)
Breath of the Wild
Dark Souls
Splatoon
Then fill out the list with your AAA open-world RPG of choice.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm sorry but I can't find the Chiral Artist in Best Performance category. Outrageous.
7af77b72bebd4a7922b8e8f9064cc7f65b1808e2.jpg

Fuck does Cuno care?

Cuno should be the only one in the list.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure this point has been made before, but doesn't there seem like there's a clear bias during award shows toward more-recently released games? I notice this every year, but I've never vocalized it.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
Death Stranding, RE2 and Sekiro stand out for me. Two games that are 'divisive'. But in these GOTY awards the Love/Hate relationship with said games stands in their favour.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm sure this point has been made before, but doesn't there seem like there's a clear bias during award shows toward more-recently released games? I notice this every year, but I've never vocalized it.

Why do you think all the "Oscar bait" movies get released in November and December?

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft
DotA 2 (or LoL)
Breath of the Wild
Dark Souls
Splatoon
Then fill out the list with your AAA open-world RPG of choice.

Am not even disagreeing with this list. But lets be real , its going to be full of Open world and AAA Cinematic games because thats what most game journalists love. Stuff like Dota 2 , Dark Souls..etc didn't even win the year they came out.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Man some people went over the deep end with some juvenile, baseless, conspiracy-nut-job sounding accusations against Geoff in this thread. How embrassing.

At least I am happy to see so many level headed posters calling such bs out and also to see Geoff continuing to post despite such nonsense. Looking forward to the show Geoff and keep up the good work.

I think Sekiro takes this one

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure neither Dota, LoL, nor Splatoon would make the nominations, at least not above the likes of The Last of Us or The Witcher 3

You're probably right given that there's a heavy Western AAA console bias to these sorts of things. LoL/DotA deserve to be on a game of the decade list though since they're basically a new genre and they're massively popular on PC. Splatoon is more of a personal choice, but man, it's oozing with personality & creativity and it's a blast to play even if like me, you don't like FPS or multiplayer games.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I expect the awards will be very spread out. Don't think a single game will more than 2 awards.

So many developers will go home happy.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Only ones in that poll I remotely care about are Control and The Outer Worlds. Hope one of those two wins.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I'm in love with Death Stranding so far.

And RE2 was my GOTY but DS is phenomenal, nothing quite like it. It really is an experience.

I think Luigi's Mansion deserves a goty nomination, it's one of the best Switch games out.

Wish I could play Control, Sekiro, and Fire Emblem. I'm very behind.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro gets my vote. Why no Star Wars though? Too late to make the cut? Including DS but no Star Wars makes absolutely zero sense.

Oct 26, 2017
You're probably right given that there's a heavy Western AAA console bias to these sorts of things. LoL/DotA deserve to be on a game of the decade list though since they're basically a new genre and they're massively popular on PC. Splatoon is more of a personal choice, but man, it's oozing with personality & creativity and it's a blast to play even if like me, you don't like FPS or multiplayer games.
They're more than worthy games to be a nominee, won't deny that. Heck, LoL at least getting an honorary mention wouldn't be a shock to me. Really, a lot of great games deserve to be nominated but don't because they're not the type of games that tend to be acknowledged as GotY. It's unfortunate but it is what it is

Oh I really like Splatoon too. It's a lot of fun to play, looks great, and, damn, do I love the unique and varied charming characters there are in the game

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Drop the pretense and just call the Family category the Best NIntendo game

Duty

Oct 25, 2017
Am not even disagreeing with this list. But lets be real , its going to be full of Open world and AAA Cinematic games because thats what most game journalists love. Stuff like Dota 2 , Dark Souls..etc didn't even win the year they came out.

It's about the long-term run and the impact of it in the decade.

Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls wouldn't exactly shock me as a nominee. I mean, the hardcore fanbase for it mixed with it getting a ton of love from the gaming media would make it a likely candidate. Dota 2 would be the sort of game that'd get snubbed

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro gets my vote. Why no Star Wars though? Too late to make the cut? Including DS but no Star Wars makes absolutely zero sense.
Star Wars released on November 15, so it was eligible but on the very last day of eligibility.

The difference between it and Death Stranding is Sony/Kojima got copies in the media's hands basically a full month ahead of its release, whereas relatively few people got to put time into Jedi: Fallen Order before they had to submit their nominations.

This also means it's ineligible for next year. Kind of a bummer for a great game, really. EA needed to get advance copies out sooner if they wanted to be in the mix.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can I just say that it's quite awesome that these awards have garnered enough prestige by this point that people are super passionate about even the nominations? It certainly didn't have this gravitas 3-4 years ago.

Like kudos to Geoff Keighley and his team for spearheading this. It's just gotten better and better every year.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Man, Outer Worlds is the only game I've gotten to in that GOTY list, and all I can say is that my pick is definitely not Outer Worlds.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Death Stranding > RE2 > Control

I liked Outer Worlds, but it was wholly unforgettable. And I never finished Sekiro because I found the combat boring (I got to Owl). Maybe I'll give it another shot before the year's over.

GOTY: DS
Direction: DS
Narrative: I haven't played Disco yet, but heard fantastic things. So Control for me atm.
Art: Control is just too good.
Music: Weak choices IMO. Dunno.
Performance: Mads, even if he's not in the game enough. I'd like to see Die-Hardman, though.
Action: DMC5 has to win here.
Action/Adventure: RE2.
RPG: Tentatively Disco.
Fighting: lol.
Strategy: ANNOOOOO! <3

No e-mail sign in?

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

November 1st was the cut off point (outlets had to submit their nominations by then according to Greg Miller) and Star Wars review codes came in too late.

Death Stranding on the other hand had its review codes sent out super early and the review embargo lifted November 1st, so all the major outlets had enough time to play the game.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Astral Chain.

I still have to play Death Stranding. It looks like my kind of game 110%.

Sekiro is great but the console versions' performance issues seriously impact the central parrying mechanic compared to the PC version, and that's no bueno.

BTW, why no Devil May Cry 5? Seems like a glaring omission.