• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Out of those nominated, what's your pick for Game Of The Year

• Control

Votes: 368 9.8%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 784 21.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 999 26.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 687 18.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 627 16.8%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 272 7.3%

• Total voters

Artorias

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch games weirdly absent in GOTY category despite many having better overall critical reception than a lot of the nominees.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Imagine getting so worked up over a video game nomination, the same video game which you never played or had any interest of playing at any point. Never change Era.

Also, most of you should realize that Geoff actually posts on this forum. To put your tinfoil hats on when the process of nomination and votings are laid out in great deal on the website itself just makes you like a giant idiot. But I guess most of you already know that.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
It's just just a remake, remakes should never be in a goty nominee.
That discredits how much effort and hard work went into the game. It's not "just a remake", it completely revamps and changes RE2 in a modern way and does it brilliantly (with only a few flaws). Saying it shouldn't be allowed just cause its a "remake" is some weird arbitrary reason.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking more about it Nintendo were really done dirty, weren't they? The majority of their titles being pushed off to family games when they're much more than what that category suggests. Also side note, where are all the other good family games from developers that aren't Nintendo?
Seriously how is Yoshi in that category over Sony's Concrete Genie?

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My top two Goty Jedi and Three Houses are not nominated damn. Geoff should move the awards to awards season.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
I'm rooting for Disco Elysium / ZA/UM!
"Best Narrative", "Best RPG", "Best Indie Game", "Fresh Indie Game Studio", here we go!

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Please, someone reassure me that I'm not the only one who keeps mixing up Outer Wolds with Outer Wirlds.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
DS is by far my game of the generation, so really happy to see all these nominations. The last game so remarkably outstanding that I played was TW101 on the Wii U.. so I hope DS gets as many awards as possible! It is certainly not a title that everyone can appreciate, but some people should just try the game out and stop parroting memes.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Death Stranding is a game that is not even 2 weeks old, yet has over 13000 user votes on metacritic, which is more than most games ever made, with nearly half of them being 0/10 scores.

There is something about this game that just triggers the shit out of people. And I will never understand why.

Kojima is a personality that attracts a lot of fans and attention which in turn draw the ire of others (bitch eating crackers)

For the first week of DS launch people were still figuring out the game and there are plenty of reviews that were negative about it so people latch on to those as proof that this bitch eating crackers is a hack.

I think after a week and with the help of plenty of you tuber and streamers, impressions of the game is turning around. I know I personally wouldn't had bought it if it wasn't from watching Maximilian having a blast with it on stream

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
"Remakes don't deserve to win"
12310655.jpg

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Best action game feels like a formality formality this year given DMC5. (Astral Chain was pretty awesome though). Smash easily my game of the year.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima is a personality that attracts a lot of fans and attention which in turn draw the ire of others (bitch eating crackers)

For the first week of DS launch people were still figuring out the game and there are plenty of reviews that were negative about it so people latch on to those as proof that this bitch eating crackers is a hack.

I think after a week and with the help of plenty of you tuber and streamers, impressions of the game is turning around. I know I personally wouldn't had bought it if it wasn't from watching Maximilian having a blast with it on stream

So glad I went on media blackout for DS until finishing the game.

Masterpiece.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Smash bros, resident evil 2 and sekiro seem like the obvious picks. I'd sooner pick disco elysium than any of the others.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Let them have it, meanwhile almost everyone who played the game enjoyed the hell out of it and got an unforgettable experience

I knew a lot of people on this forum actually liked DS because of how big the OT is but even I'm caught off guard in this poll that DS is second to Smash and that's a good thing. Smash isn't my favorite compared to others on this list and not on this list but the effort put into Smash's content blows every other game out of the water. It deserves all the awards for the passion and effort put into creating that game. It's a videogame that represents videogames very well.

Meanwhile DS looks like a game that pushes boundaries in all the most daring and audacious ways that manages to create an experience unlike anything else made before it. I'm glad so many people got to experience content like these 2.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Its a terrific achievement and I am still in disbelief that it actually happened.
I think despite how well it thinks outside what the original game was it also failed to homage certain parts properly. The city wasn't expanded upon and it also lacked some of the tension of the original (Kendo's shop being a cutscene later in the game and not an in-game event early). The RPD was amazing and the other parts were good too, but I was disappointed by the lack of enemy variety in the sewers and lack of William Birkin appearances throughout the game before his boss encounters, which was something the original was good at.

I think REmake is the overall better remake/reimagining because it took the original in a 1:1 way and subverted your expectations. They tried to do the same here while modernizing the game format but due to cuts and decisionmaking they also bucked some parts that weren't broken replaced with something that's arguably inferior.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Kojima winning best director and Smash winning best game will be the ultimate combo for maximum salt.

I could see this happening. DS is probably too polarizing to take GOTY but I can definitely see it take best director.

Kojima and Sakurai are two of the most celebrated directors in the industry so it would be quite the sight.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I thought this year been pretty damn great for games so not surprised with some of my favorites not nominated for goty, not sure why people feel the need to try to discredit some games or think they just shouldn't be nominated for x reason. Nothing wrong with discussing the merits of each games and why you think they should or shouldn't be there but it's kind of silly to assume a game is only nominated a lot because of bias when there's a lot of factors that goes to these nominations.

Still I'm hoping Capcom wins a few awards, they had an outstanding year.

Please, someone reassure me that I'm not the only one who keeps mixing up Outer Wolds with Outer Wirlds.
I always gotta remind myself that outer worlds and outer wilds aren't the same thing so you're not the only one lol. It helps when you remember outer worlds full title is "The outer worlds".

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
"Resident Evil 2 doesn't deserve the nom for being a remake..."

What?
Link's Awakening was nominated for action-adventure and does far less to differentiate itself from the original than RE2 does. RE2 absolutely deserves a spot in the conversation.
Oh hey Geoff, can you tell us who the fifth Smash DLC character is please?
It's Geoff Keighley, the video game character from Death Stranding

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
I'm sorry but I can't find the Chiral Artist in Best Performance category. Outrageous.

More importantly and seriously, my personal GOTY is not on the list so I'm not really invested. I will be here for the announcements tho, last year really delivered, hope it will be the same this year.