• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Out of those nominated, what's your pick for Game Of The Year

• Control

Votes: 368 9.8%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 784 21.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 999 26.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 687 18.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 627 16.8%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 272 7.3%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone else always sense an undercurrent of disdain for any Nintendo-made titles at these award shows?

I mean, the way they shunted all the great games Nintendo has made this year like LM3 to the Family category reeks of it. Almost reminds me of the Animation category at the Oscars.....
It's more so that GotY awards tend to lean towards more mature or darker games than anything else. In that sense, it is reminiscent of the Animation category at the Oscars

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
I was kind of wondering this. I know Geoff doesn't decide who wins, but it will look kind of fixed or favouritism if Death Stranding wins a ton of awards, considering Geoff is best buds with Kojima and is in the very game nominated. It shouldn't come across that way, but I can see a lot of people having that perception.

People are tripping balls if they truly believe Geoff is not the main reason why DS is nominated for a bunch of shit, lol.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Does anyone else always sense an undercurrent of disdain for any Nintendo-made titles at these award shows?

I mean, the way they shunted all the great games Nintendo has made this year like LM3 to the Family category reeks of it. Almost reminds me of the Animation category at the Oscars.....

This has been going on for years my friend, pretty much ever since Geoff started doing these with G-Phoria 2003. These award shows are primarily focused towards the 18-30 male demographic - the exact demographic Nintendo tends to shy away from.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
So this is the year where people decided to start really caring about the the integrity of The Game Awards?

Back to not caring next year.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yoooo I heard Mads Mikkelson part in DS is awesome. Without spoilers, is this true? I have the game but I'm still in episode 2.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Astral Chain is hype as fuck. Such a unique game. Love the fuck outta it.
Agreed. I didn't like it as much as say, Sekiro or RE2, mostly because the non-combat sections are not that good, but the combat was so fresh and good that made me love the entire game. I'd put it in the list instead of DS or ToW tbh.

Yes, but said licensed songs were written for the game itself.
Really? Besides the BB theme I think the others are existing songs.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
...2019 was so trash bro WTF lol
Only watching to see if Batman shows up TBH and if Death Stranding wins GOTY (please don't)
And Fallen Order not being nominated is some BS man
Days Gone not getting a performance nom as well 😞

May 5, 2018
You know, Chris Hackney (the voice of Dimitri from FE 3 Houses) had a very humble and great response regarding FE not getting as many nominations as expected and talking to those who were disappointed to see it not in GOTY. The same can be said for any other game people hoped got a GOTY nomination or more nominations but didn't get those nominations:

After playing the Golden Deer route, I was all on the Joe Zieja train for favorite FE voice actor. But Chris seems like a legitimately great dude too.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding deserves to lose in every category for people shortening it to Destra tbh

at least shlooter was fine because looter and shooter rhymed

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I feel like Outer Worlds benefited from recency much more than Death Stranding. Death Stranding would probably have this many nominations no matter when it released. Would Outer Worlds have this many nominations if it released in, say, March?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Bummer to see Outer Wilds just got thrown in the two indie categories and nothing else.

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
Just think about this y'all; people really gave games like Control and Death Stranding a nomination for best game of 2019, but an universally acclaimed game like Three Houses didn't get anything.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's more so that GotY awards tend to lean towards more mature or darker games than anything else. In that sense, it is reminiscent of the Animation category at the Oscars
In 2017, p5, mario odyssey, and botw were nominated. Overwatch and botw won. Celeste was nomimated last year. It's not all mature story tps's. I mean smash and the outerwilds are there and days gone isn't.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I feel like Outer Worlds benefited from recency much more than Death Stranding. Death Stranding would probably have this many nominations no matter when it released. Would Outer Worlds have this many nominations if it released in, say, March?

Are you saying this because of the friendship between Geoff and Kojima ?

Death Stranding's reception is mixed and controversial whereas Outerworlds is being heralded as better than Bethesda's entire Fallout Out out put this gen.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Death stranding is legit in my top 5 games of all time. It would be a travesty if it didn't win GOTY.

Yeah it's easily one of the most memorable and unique gaming experiences I've ever had. And to think I almost didn't pick it up haha.

It completely deserves its place in this list if not GoTY.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Fallen Order will most likely not get nominated for the 2020 GOTY award if next year's big hitters deliver, unless they expand the GOTY nominees to 6-10 like the Academy does.

Well it's not charity, it's like the idea is to put Star Wars in at all cost. Maybe it didn't have a chance this year either, but there are a lot of other awards, we'll see what happens.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like Gears 5 isn't nominated besides 2 categories. I was expecting this but still surprised

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding and DMC5 better not get robbed.

Mads Mikkelsen absolutely deserves to win best performance.

Death stranding is legit in my top 5 games of all time. It would be a travesty if it didn't win GOTY.

For the first time in a long time (almost 20 years) I'm questing my no.1 game of all time after finishing DS.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
That makes it stand out more, especially since it's more a modernization of an old game and not a 1:1 remake.

How does a cartoony platforming fighting game not stand out amongst these choices?

You said Smash would be boring because the series is old but Resident Evil is even older. This is silly.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I think so, its the only relatively big western RPG that came out this year and it does have some clever character interactions and a good performance from Burch. I personally found the game really disappointing coming from Obsidian though.

I think if Disco Elysium had launched on the consoles as well it would have taken its place.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I was kind of wondering this. I know Geoff doesn't decide who wins, but it will look kind of fixed or favouritism if Death Stranding wins a ton of awards, considering Geoff is best buds with Kojima and is in the very game nominated. It shouldn't come across that way, but I can see a lot of people having that perception.
I feel like if it ever happened to be rigged this year by KojiPro in Geoff's pocket, I would be all over that controversy and I almost welcome it. It would be so ridiculous and so meme-worthy I feel like it wouldn't do any damage in the end because they wouldn't be able to get away with it. I feel like if Death Stranding even genuinely wins it's gonna have the same split reaction as the game already has and it's not the same as God of War or something like that. There are people who actually hate the premise or the first hours of the game and even players that saw it through to the end and felt it wasn't worth the wait. There are also people that love it for biased or completely neutral reasons.

Oct 26, 2017
In 2017, p5, mario odyssey, and botw were nominated. Overwatch and botw won. Celeste was nomimated last year. It's not all mature story tps's. I mean smash and the outerwilds are there and days gone isn't.
Well I didn't say that more cartoony or less serious games can't win. Just that awards tend to lean towards more mature and cinematic games, which isn't exactly untrue

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
That makes it stand out more, especially since it's more a modernization of an old game and not a 1:1 remake.

REmake 2 is much more than a remake.

Its the game that finally manages to bring the essence of survival horror to a completely modern framework.

Its a terrific achievement and I am still in disbelief that it actually happened.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Wow the colours on that site are doing something really fucking weird to my eyes, I can't really explain it, can't look at it for more than a minute.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I expect Smash to wins this, it not getting nominated last year will turn into a blessing considering it would not have won 2018 with God of War and RDR2 being in the mix.

Out of the games nominated I only played RE2, Sekiro and Death Stranding which I have not finished yet. If I had to pick my GOTY it would be Sekiro.

Last edited: