• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Out of those nominated, what's your pick for Game Of The Year

• Control

Votes: 368 9.8%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 784 21.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 999 26.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 687 18.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 627 16.8%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 272 7.3%

• Total voters

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

MKLeo has had an insanely dominant year in Smash as well and is nowhere to be found. But fighting games will always get ignored vs. other far larger eSport games.

It's cool he won last year but the only reason SonicFox was nominated while majority of other fighting game players get ignored is cause he has a huge personality and is very recognizable. Certainly helps for getting a nomination at awards like this

All you need to know how much fighting game knowledge the people who voted for the nominees have is to see Jump Force nominated. Hell no

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually surprised at all the Three Houses love. Thought it had great gameplay, the second half time management was pointless, and a really weak narrative mixed with okay characters.
Opinions vary of course, but I've seen plenty argue that it had the strongest plot and best realized characters in the series in many years.

I'd argue that's more to do with it not being very polished and visually appealing. Those were the biggest blemishes with the game
It's not a technical showcase, but it still had strong presentational aspects in its voice acting, music, and art direction if not its graphic detail and fidelity.

But I'm still happy to see it nominated for Best Strategy Game, which it stands a fair chance at winning.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
death stranding being nominted for so many awards is a joke. not just because of the conflict of interest with Geoff, but because DS is not a good game at all.

TXULJ

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
That entire OP is filled with fantastic games. If that's dull to you, that's crazy.

I mean for my specific taste it really is. Not a fan of JRPG's or any overly-Japan game outside of Nintendo. Smash Ultimate is good but it's really just Smash Wii U with a new coat of paint. Death Stranding is, well, Death Stranding. Outer Worlds is generic Fallout. Sure there are some interesting indie games but that's really not going to carry a whole year of gaming for me.

Edit: I'm enjoying Luigi's Mansion 3 but like I said, it's not really in the BoTW/Mainline Mario tier.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
This will be an awards show I watch with zero interest in the awards and instead only care about the debuts/videos on games coming in the future. The lack of Outer Wilds and abundance of Death Stranding is utterly ridiculous.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine looking at all the great games on this list and then voting for Death Stranding for anything.

Ok, maybe that's unfair. But I do think a lot of these other games are more deserving of a win.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
COD deserves to win Best Sound Design. Absolutely phenomenal work from Infinity Ward and co.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone has a major beef with the nominations, its Nintendo. Fire Emblem 3H, Luigi's Mansion 3, Astral Chain, SMM2, Z:LA........lots of high scoring releases on the Switch this year, an insanely high standard of quality, good sales, and some barely got mention or completely snubbed.
This year is another great reminder that no matter how great Nintendo's output is...there will always be this unwritten rule that they can't have more than 1-2 games being heavenly features. Regardless of the quality of the sales.
Just like there could only be one black characters in the early Walking Dead seasons lol.

Though it makes me wonder if Nintendo even cares that much about these awards...if they are still gonna give him BotW 2 gameplay premier.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
On Jedi missing the before November cutoff (which makes no sense)
What don't make sense?Blame EA who didn't have enough of confidence in their game,the date is given months early,and if the game is good enough will be in the next year,as is Smash,but Star Wars isn't this game,it can't have any chance against the big games next year,so much cry for nothing,the same happened every year and only now they realised this?

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Geoff Keighley
Can you explain or put the word forward that these permissions you require for Twitter login are absolutely nuts.
unknown.png

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Best Action and Best Action/Adventure nominees being mostly shooters is weird. Like, Best Action only actually has 2 action games nominated...

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
This year doesnt seem like a strong year for gaming to be honest. Next year will absolutely decimate it.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Again, as I said before, Smash's GOTY nom was just to cover up how much Nintendo got hosed this year.

I think Smash is worthy, but its mostly an iterative and content-based improvement of a well-established formula. Otherwise, yes Nintendo got hosed. If there is a bias, I think its to "mature" games and then Nintendo games get pigeon-holed into "Family" category. Its kinda the way Oscar movies treat all non-drama type of movies, like the rest are just niche and not serious.

I will say that I feel like Nintendo hit more home runs this year than anybody, but they didn't have a grand slam like BOTW. But, I think the rest of the GOTY nominees are in the same boat. I don't think there is a clear frontrunner or a choice that 75%+ are going to agree with and respect even if it isn't their personal GOTY. We don't have a clear cut choice that most everyone would respect like BOTW and GoW in recent years.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People have to mentally prepare themselves for DS possibly wining the GOTY award .it is an amazing unique new IP.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean for my specific taste it really is. Not a fan of JRPG's or any overly-Japan game outside of Nintendo. Smash Ultimate is good but it's really just Smash Wii U with a new coat of paint. Death Stranding is, well, Death Stranding. Outer Worlds is generic Fallout. Sure there are some interesting indie games but that's really not going to carry a whole year of gaming for me.
I'm sorry?

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Astral Chain not getting a nom for best soundtrack is almost as bad as Xenoblade 2 getting snubbed for the same thing last year.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Astral Chain not being nominated for best soundtrack is a joke.

Also wtf at the poll? People actually like Death Stranding that much?
Yes, Death Stranding received good reviews from critics and even better reception from fans. ResetEra has a big anti-Kojima lean, and there is a push to create a false narrative that DS was a failure. Your view of the game is probably colored by that community effort.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The argument is that the awards are timed for prime marketing dollars at the expense of giving all calendar year 2019 releases a fair shot.
Who didn't make it because of time and if they don't make it this year they will be on next year list just like smash is here now . So what is the problem?

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a technical showcase, but it still had strong presentational aspects in its voice acting, music, and art direction if not its graphic detail and fidelity.

But I'm still happy to see it nominated for Best Strategy Game, which it stands a fair chance at winning.
I don't disagree but nominees tend to be more polished and visually appealing. If not, then they're very impressive, such as Skyrim. Fire Emblem, as much as it's my GotY, doesn't quite fit in either of those

Same. I'm happy to see it get nominations

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I think Smash is worthy, but its mostly an iterative and content-based improvement of a well-established formula. Otherwise, yes Nintendo got hosed. If there is a bias, I think its to "mature" games and then Nintendo games get pigeon-holed into "Family" category. Its kinda the way Oscar movies treat all non-drama type of movies, like the rest are just niche and not serious.

I will say that I feel like Nintendo hit more home runs this year than anybody, but they didn't have a grand slam like BOTW. But, I think the rest of the GOTY nominees are in the same boat. I don't think there is a clear frontrunner or a choice that 75%+ are going to agree with and respect even if it isn't their personal GOTY. We don't have a clear cut choice that most everyone would respect like BOTW and GoW in recent years.

Well it's more because, typically, a GOTY nominee gets at least 4-5 nominations in other categories, as pretty much all the others did.

Smash got two.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine looking at all the great games on this list and then voting for Death Stranding for anything.

Ok, maybe that's unfair. But I do think a lot of these other games are more deserving of a win.
Doubt you've played a minute of it, like most of the other shit posters on here.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Opinions vary of course, but I've seen plenty argue that it had the strongest plot and best realized characters in the series in many years.

part of the issue is that right before playing it, I played Shadowbringers and nothing FE did could even compare. It was definitely better than Awakening and Fates but it never crossed my mind as GOTY worthy.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Astral Chain not being nominated for best soundtrack is a joke.

Also wtf at the poll? People actually like Death Stranding that much?

Yeah. I'm honestly shocked how much I'm into it, 50 hours in and only chapter 5 so I guess there's time for it to turn around...but instead of falling off of the game I'm just enjoying it more so far.

It's kinda funny - easy to goof on the game when Kojima said things like 'this moment will make u cry 4 real' and even when I got to that specific part of the game I was still kinda sneering at it. But I'm so much more attached to it now that those little bits where the music cuts in are having way more effect on me.

edit: that said the list might be tougher for me if Sunless Skies was on it.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
After finishing Death Stranding, seeing all these nominations do not surprise me. Deserves them all. Will not win them all but is by far my GOTY and one of my games of the generation.