• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Out of those nominated, what's your pick for Game Of The Year

• Control

Votes: 368 9.8%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 784 21.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 999 26.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 687 18.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 627 16.8%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 272 7.3%

• Total voters

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
I can't say I'm excited for the meltdown. Gonna be a mess all round.
Next year is really a bloodbath for AAA for the first Time (end gen games from all big Companies )

Lou2
CP2077
Final fantesy 7
Halo
Doom
AC (maybe)
Marvel's avengers
Dying light 2
vampire The Masquerade bloodlines 2

Oct 26, 2017
That is correct. Also, I didn't say it did.
Even if you only compare it to the past 6 months of releases, it's definitely up there for most people. You not being into it doesn't change that

Not gonna lie, it kinda reminds me of 2018 where you have a big Sony exclusive going up against a landmark multiplat release (God of War versus Red Dead Redemption II). Those were the two favourites for last year that tied for nominations (eight) and I think we'll see a similar thing next year between CP2077 and TLOU2 as you say.

I just hope No More Heroes III gets some rep.
That and 2013. I mainly figure that's what's going to happen as they're the games that are most in line with what tends to win GotY. It'll be fun to see

Ehh...I wouldn't count on it. I think it looks cool but, man, is it too niche to really be able to get much recognition

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I am largely happy with the picks but these awards are Nintendo erasure.

I think I'll just have to live with the fact that my tastes diverge from the gaming press at large. Astral Chain not nominated for GOTY is one thing, but best soundtrack? And barely any mention of FE3? idk. Kinda weird.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Let me get this straight. We get 5 nominees every year but THIS year we got 6, and not only that but it we had to cut to 5, the one with the worst reviews would be left out. The one were Geoff has a cameo, huh 🤔
Last year there were 6

the panel doesn't care about Metascores

control reviewed worse than DS

anything else?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I played Smash for 380 hours over the past year and Sekiro for 140 hours.
I have good taste :)
Lol yes you do.

Side note, my vote for most underrated video game of the year goes to Astral Chain. That game deserves WAY more praise than it'll ever receive.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
So Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order can't be nominated because it came out too late and can't be nominated next year because it's a 2019 release. What. A. Sham. Further proof this is and this is really just a long reveal/trailer event They should air it in Feb/March so games releases in Nov/Dec could be nominated.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Family Genre game is basically the new best animted movie in the academy awards. Nintendo being nominated there on everything is like Pixar and Dinsney every time they have a good movie.
For one at least Luigi's Mansion can win something, on the other hand its a pity is not on the Goty list, even if it was not going to win.

Smash does deserve goty, if only because Sakurai really deserves it for his hard work.
At least is taking home the best fighting game one.

Its sad that Disco and Oter World will need to cannabiliza each other for their awards.

Its also sad Charles Martinet is not nominated for Luigi's Mansion 3, thats another person that really deserves it.

Also too much death stranding.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Let me get this straight. We get 5 nominees every year but THIS year we got 6, and not only that but it we had to cut to 5, the one with the worst reviews would be left out. The one were Geoff has a cameo, huh 🤔
There were 6 noms for GOTY last year too.

Next conspiracy theory, please.

Also Death Stranding is not the game with the worst reviews of those 6. Hint: It's not about average, but amount of top scores.

And yeah, like Phendrift said, Control is the one with the worst average, so you wasn't even right about that lmao

DStubbs

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just happy to see Control get the recognition it deserves. Was afraid it go overlooked but glad to see I was way wrong. Looks like it got nominated for a lot.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Hopefully we finally get a new trailer for The Elden Ring here. And Batman.
P-PLEASE

JUST SHOW ME ROCKSTEADY'S GAME

I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH I CAN TAKE

man-in-desert-reaching-for-water-picture-id173256386

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem has barely been nominated for anything, that doesn't seem right. I would certainly put it in goty over outer worlds and control. Same for best narrative.

(edit) no Ai the somnium files anywhere either? The hell is up with that?

Last edited:

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
MLB continues to be snubbed. It's consistently great year after year. FIFA 20 has a 79 on MC. MLB '19 sits at 86.

Also, I wish they'd expand the RPG category. I'd split it up into 3 categories - MMOs, WRPGs, and JRPGs.

Oct 26, 2017
What the heck at any Smash hate? It was and continues to be one of the biggest love letters to (Japanese) gaming out there. The sheer amount of content and new creations is out of this world. It's definitely my GotY and the game I spent the most time with this year.
It's not a big single player game so it sticks out like a sore thumb

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there's any game there that shouldn't be, it's The Outer Worlds. Certainly not DS.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
So Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order can't be nominated because it came out too late and can't be nominated next year because it's a 2019 release. What. A. Sham. Further proof this is and this is really just a long reveal/trailer event They should air it in Feb/March so games releases in Nov/Dec could be nominated.

Smash is a 2018 release and it is nominated this year.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
It was eligible, but the publisher (EA) sent copies to outlets too late or sent to too few outlets. So the fault is on EA themselves for not getting any nominations.

Edit: Wait no, I think I misunderstand. Is she saying SW isn't eligible this year because they got it late but also isn't eligible next year because of it's release date? That sucks :( Maybe my GOTY tbh.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
First year in a long time I haven't at least played every GOTY candidate (Control and Sekiro being the outliers, but I WILL play them eventually).
Of those I've played, I had the most fun with Outer Worlds, but honestly they're all really good. I have no strong opinions this year.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the reception to three houses has been so overwhelmingly positive that I wonder how its not up for GOTY

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Even if you only compare it to the past 6 months of releases, it's definitely up there for most people. You not being into it doesn't change that

That and 2013. I mainly figure that's what's going to happen as they're the games that are most in line with what tends to win GotY. It'll be fun to see

Ehh...I wouldn't count on it. I think it looks cool but, man, is it too niche to really be able to get much recognition
Yes lots of people like it. Personally I don't. I think almost anything out is better. So I gave said opinion and voted.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
No,It can be nominated for next year,just like Smash is from last year,if didn't make the cut,but no one will remember this game.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
After finishing Death stranding.... I totally expected this.

Hope Mads Mikkelsen wins performance. Loved everything on Clifford Unger story ark. It really sold the connection between Sam and Cliff at the end.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Next year is really a bloodbath for AAA for the first Time (end gen games from all big Companies )

Lou2
CP2077
Final fantesy 7
Halo
Doom
AC (maybe)
Marvel's avengers
Dying light 2
vampire The Masquerade bloodlines 2

And that's just mostly what we know. I'm expecting Nintendo to have BOTW2 and some other heavy hitters and there are bound to be a few big launch titles for PS5 and Scarlett.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What is the cutoff for this? I feel like Fallen Order was robbed of a nomination, unless it didn't meet the "year" window and is eligible for the award next year.
I think FO is past the cutoff. Though reception has been lukewarm enough I'm not sure it would have made the list, considering games like Gears 5, Fire Emblem, and Mario Maker 2 (my goty) also missed out.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019

They were not too late this year, they were eligible.

The publisher sending review copies too late is a whole different issue.
Really weird to say Pokemon and Star Wars won't be able to compete with 2020s lineup when she has presumably only played vertical slices of any 2020 games.
That's not what she is saying. She's saying there are no remaining games this year (16th Nov-31st Dec) that can compete next year.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Sekiro will get robbed. Death Stranding will win at least three awards but not make GOTY. Smash would be the least controversial choice. I imagine a brawl of the other 5 nominees stealing each other's votes while Smash just sidles up to take the trophy. It seems to be the least objectionable choice.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised at all the Three Houses love. Thought it had great gameplay, the second half time management was pointless, and a really weak narrative mixed with okay characters.