• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Out of those nominated, what's your pick for Game Of The Year

• Control

Votes: 368 9.8%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 784 21.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 999 26.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 687 18.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 627 16.8%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 272 7.3%

• Total voters

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
to see control with so many nominations, just fills me with joy.
have not finished death stranding yet but so far, it deserves the nominations.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm completely out of touch or something. Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem and Dota Underlords are my top three games this year.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Is it wrong to genuinely think that Smash is incredible? Death Stranding is different and has some good stuff to say, which is great, but considering the reception, and how almost all of the conversation around it is just about how divisive it is, I feel like it's not going to have a big impact on the industry. I could be wrong, and I'll admit that if I am. It's no problem for me. However, you can't deny the impact that Smash has had and the relatively small impact of DS, I feel like it will fade more into the background as time goes on.
By all means like Smash. I'm happy for you. Hell, I like it myself.

But at times the Smash fandom approach obsessive with how much they praise the game and dismiss other games. That's what both your comments have done.

Flozuki

Nov 7, 2017
Keep my fingers crossed for Smash. But even though I haven't played all nominees all around a fantastic list (that could have been longer).

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Not gonna lie, I'm enjoying seeing all the salty people that though DS wasn't gonna get nominated. Deserved.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think that during the show Geoff will mention that he is not voting/or he is not responsible for nominees because of Death Strandig? Seems like a lot of people are putting this in front with his friendship with Kojima.
Issuing a statement before might be a good idea. I think it's inexcusable that people on ERA are parroting they conspiracy since it's been said in threads multiple times how it works, but it might help other people who actually might not know how the awards are decided

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
DS has a pretty low chance of winning GOTY from that list when its all said and done considering how universally loved RE2 and Smash were. I think it will be between those two but I'd love to be surprised and Sekiro ends up winning.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Uh oh.

I'm no RE expert, don't shoot me.
im not trying to shoot you, im just not sure if youre joking or being disingenuous. You don't need to be an expert to know that REmake 2 is nowhere near a "remaster" of RE2.

resident_evil_2_two_discs.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fkevinmurnane%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F01%2FLeon-and-Claire_DF.jpg

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean by moved? The eligibility period runs 16th November previous year to 15th November current year, otherwise you get a period with 366 days.

you are right i thought the cut off was ON the 16th last year.

in any case, jedi should've been a nominee this year, it says the game should be available before or ON November 15. Jedi was out on the 15th.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda lame Star Wars was shut out via an arbitrary cutoff date. Next year is going to be absolutely stacked, it's very unlikely it will be remembered by next fall.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Voted for Smash in every category it's in; I mean, I had to given it's the only candidate I've played (sorry, Sekiro!), but personally I'd consider anything a disservice to gaming's greatest love letter. At the very least, I'd like to think its current placement in our poll's a positive sign! (Yeah, I know, ERA bubble, but still!)

And really, as good as KH3's soundtrack was, how could I not vote for Cadence of Hyrulle for Best Music? Best surprise of the year.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
DS has a pretty low chance of winning GOTY from that list when its all said and done considering how universally loved RE2 and Smash were. I think it will be between those two but I'd love to be surprised and Sekiro ends up winning.
Yeah I think DS will likely take Best Direction, Best Audio, Best Score/Music, Best Performance for Mads, and lose GOTY.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the only DS stuff that is "suspect" are performance and the date. The nominations favor the famous folks and not Jenkins or Baker. The date thing they can't really control. Award shows almost always have a large recency bias (I'd argue it's affecting Outer Worlds too) in nominations. Not some sort of conspiracy or collusion, just the way these things work usually. Doesn't mean it'll win.

Goose Game should've been in Family Game too.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
The submission cutoff was Nov. 1st. So if you didnt submit your game before then, it wasnt allowed.

Fucking sucks...