• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Out of those nominated, what's your pick for Game Of The Year

• Control

Votes: 368 9.8%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 784 21.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 999 26.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 687 18.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 627 16.8%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 272 7.3%

• Total voters

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Gears 5 ingnored for the most part yet Death Stranding gets more nominations? Geoff's friendship with Kojima definitely shows how biased the Video Game Awards have become.
I think it has more to do with Gears 5 being great, but not remarkable. Very few people had faults with it, but no one loved it enough to go to bat for it. Death Stranding has some reviewers that clearly don't like it, but for everyone of those people there's at least 1 that think it's incredible.

Oct 25, 2017
Will watch like always

Have played considerably fewer of the top games this year than in years past.

Will try to keep an open mind about things

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's the game of forever but didn't Smash come out like a year or two ago?

Also, I'm surprised if DS really turned out good. The reviewers who didn't like it made it sound like an absolute chore and I can't see getting passed that.

My pick for GOTY is Resident Evil 2.
Smash came out the day of the vgas last year.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play 4 games this year and those 4 represent a majority of the main categories, with DS in all of them

Hope disco elysium cleans up

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Geoff has no say in the nominees or the winners of the Game Awards though.

He's created a committee of major game companies, that committee assembles a list of news outlets to serve as the jury. Then that jury inputs lists of major games for each category which is assembled into the nominee list. And then finally that same jury votes on those nominees. Unless there is additional unacknowledged influence that Geoff has then he effectively is completely cut out of that process. I feel like the only damage to his image from this would be purely from misunderstanding about how the show works.
I think the problem is assuming the there can't be any deviation from the stated process if Geoff really wants to Behind the scenes, especially depending on how the jury decides (if it's a blind voting process then Geoff could for instance rig the vote and nobody would be able to know for sure unless all participants shared their votes)

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

He's created a committee of major game companies, that committee assembles a list of news outlets to serve as the jury. Then that jury inputs lists of major games for each category which is assembled into the nominee list. And then finally that same jury votes on those nominees. Unless there is additional unacknowledged influence that Geoff has then he effectively is completely cut out of that process. I feel like the only damage to his image from this would be purely from misunderstanding about how the show works.

I agree with this. I wasn't ever trying to imply that Geoff did anything wrong here, rather that because the game has been divisive (much of it due to Kojima himself at times) it could end up causing Geoff some unwelcome side effects. But I guess anyone in this position is probably used to it anyway :)

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Inflammatory accusations
Goddamn this makes me hate Kojima's ego even more. Deah Stranding shouldnt have all these nominations. Fucking Keighley and his rigged awards show.

Oct 25, 2017
I went ahead and voted for the stuff I played this year that I think deserves it:

- Death Stranding
- Luigi's Mansion 3
- Smash Ultimate
- Total War: Three Kingdoms
- Resident Evil 2

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
All the conspiracy theory bullshit should be bannable. Why is it tolerated to spread fake news about how nominees are chosen?
Don't know or care if it had anything to do with the nominations, but saying we should ban anyone questioning how many nominations a game that *has the head of TGA in it* seems a bit suspect

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I think GOTY will come down to 3 games: Sekiro, Death Stranding, and Resident Evil 2.

- SSBU is fantastic, but also an iterative improvement of an existing formula and it came out in that no man's period where it was on my Top 5 last year, not this year.
- Outer Worlds is getting consensus good scores, but probably too niche and not as much hype had it been released by Bethesda.
- Control I think hasn't been played by enough and performance issues will drag down people's scores - hard to give GOTY to a game that didn't run well on many consoles when it was released.

Of the 3 that are left, each has their strengths and weaknesses for voting.

- Sekiro is my personal heavy favorite - not to win, just saying its my favorite game this year that I've played, but difficultly turned some people off and may have caused some voters to miss it.
- Resident Evil 2 I thought was great and truly scary, but its a remake, and not an entirely original game.
- Death Stranding, is original to say the least, but also divisive to say the least.

There will be a strong counter-narrative to whoever wins it. If its Death Stranding, a lot of people are going to feel like this is Kojima-worship/hype of a "boring" game. If its RE2, people are going to complain about a remake winning an award. If its Sekiro, people will say its a lifetime achievement award and not as good as some other From games.

I'm not sure how the voting works, but I guess I'm going to predict Death Stranding if everyone just gets a single vote and its a tally. I think the people that like it, love it and they'll pick it over everything else. Whereas the people that don't like it will split the votes between the 5 remaining games. If 2nd and 3rd choices factor in to how GOTY is decided I think it will be RE2 or Sekiro, because I think they'll be in most voters top 2 or 3, whereas voters on this list will either rank DS as their #1 or as their least favorite on the list.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
I guess my post is really poorly worded as I've seen people respond with this a lot. Even if the games are produced in Japan, they're mostly designed for the western market and the western taste. Death Stranding, Resident Evil 2 and Sekiro are what comes to mind when I think about it

But anyway I'm just gonna stop replying as I'm not enjoying getting dogpiled

Nah you were looking for a pathetic reason why your favourite game was not nominated and now you look like an idiot.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly what influence is he really putting off, though? Do you think he's personally calling each juror and threatening that they better vote Death Stranding, or they might... be barred from voting in an awards show?
Depending on how the vote is conducted he could easily misrepresent the actual votes without anyone necessarily knowing

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Smaaaaash ! :D
Great list.
Would have personally swaped The Outer Worlds with either DMC 5 or Astral Chain, but still happy that Obsidian got that nomination !

I think that Resident Evil 2 will take the crown. But they are all wondeful games. It was a great year for gaming.
I voted Smash anywhere I could tho :p

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I've enjoyed several smaller games like Katana Zero, My Friend Pedro and Sayonara Wild Hearts but for AAA type games, it's been a year of disappointment for me. Games like Control, KH3 and Days Gone were the biggest shame for me.

Cool that you've enjoyed it though, not taking away from that.

I haven't played KH3 yet, is it that bad? I was never a huge fan of the original games (though I beat both) and was wondering if I should dive in without having played any spinoffs

Oct 25, 2017
Dallas,tx
Hot damn Shadowbringers made it in but LOL didn't get nominated for best narrative and OST. It's literally the two best things about the expansion. Devil May Cry V not being nominated for game of the year is a crime.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order is insane to me, unless it was a date cut off. I really love Control and Death Stranding but Fallen Order is my number one this year.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i randomly voted for those esports stuff. had no idea who those people were

woinf

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Control:
Boring main character
Does nothing new gameplay wise
Horrible performance issues
Mediocre story
No replay value

Gets goty nomination over at least 10 games that deserved it more.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Fair enough. I say stick this in the OP to avoid a lot of coming discussions over Geoff/DS.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I just realized that there's a serious possibility we'll be seeing Rocksteady's next-gen game here. Holy fuck yes please.

Any moment now

human-skeleton-swinging-on-hammock-picture-id469989746

Me pictured in November 2018 saying the exact same thing

maxresdefault.jpg

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hot damn Shadowbringers made it in but LOL didn't get nominated for best narrative and OST. It's literally the two best things about the expansion. Devil May Cry V not being nominated for game of the year is a crime.

Not being in for OST is a crime

I get narrative though. You need to look at FF14 as a whole as you can't just see and get Shadowbringers on its own without the rest. or maybe I am thinking too much into it

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want DS to win, just to tilt the people who had no interest in playing it.
People's intense defense of it here is what's doing that for me, but from where I stand it's really hard to tell if it's just Kojima bias. Why? Reviews were polarizing as hell and after watching a couple hours of gameplay, it just looks....boring and aimless. Like people said about BOTW: "Would people be as hyped on this if it weren't a Zelda title?" - I have to ask "would people be defending this as much if it weren't a Kojima title?"

Honestly I really want to try it but I can't justify spending 80 bucks on it if I don't know I'll like it. I wish every game had a demo...

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Gears 5 not nominated for GoTY is silly even though it probably would not have one. Certainly one of the best games of the year. Of the current list it is the Outer Worlds for me, with RE2 a close second.

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What a garbage year: 3 games are nominated for goty who has less than 87 on metacritic, two of them even below 84.

Astral Chain,Link of the awakening and DMC V not nominated for Goty.

Smash nominated even though they are from the previous year, remember that XV and XC2 has no nominations either, not even in soundtrack department.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
User warned: Platform warring
I feel like the poll is just going to be a measure of how much the Nintendo fanboys run ERA. Because Smash is probably going to run away with it.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think the problem is assuming the there can't be any deviation from the stated process if Geoff really wants to Behind the scenes, especially depending on how the jury decides (if it's a blind voting process then Geoff could for instance rig the vote and nobody would be able to know for sure unless all participants shared their votes)

Fucking hell are you people real life?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Game of the Year:

Best Game Direction

Best Narrative

Best Art Direction

Best Score/Music

Best Audio Design

Best Performance
I called a Death Stranding nomination in all of these categories.

As far as wins, I think it has Game/Art Direction, Score/Music, Audio Design and Performance in the bag.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Control:
Boring main character
Does nothing new gameplay wise
Horrible performance issues
Mediocre story
No replay value

Gets goty nomination over at least 10 games that deserved it more.

man you're really hurt over this lol, its kind of funny. I still think Smash should be replaced with DMCV but it is what it is lol

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Wow. You're actually suggesting this as remotely possible. Jesus.