• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Out of those nominated, what's your pick for Game Of The Year

• Control

Votes: 368 9.8%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 784 21.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 999 26.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 687 18.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 627 16.8%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 272 7.3%

• Total voters

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
A shame Disco Elysium, Pathologic 2, and Devotion are hardly represented but oh well...it is The Game Awards.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So when the story and the gameplay are both bad, what's the good part?

Visual Fidelity? Audio, the ost is quite good. The actors playing their parts are pretty amazing...it's just the things they say are dumb and bad.

There should have been a best character category and it would have been a real slugfest between Mads Michelson's character and Ashley Burch's Parvati from TOW.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The Outer Worlds is nomineed for GOTY but not best Direction,no way it is winning GOTY,also Outer Wilds nomineed for Direction and not GOTY,I think some folks confused the name on ballots,I think if Death Stranding wins best action/adventure over Resident Evil 2,it has high chances win GOTY,Kojima should win best Direction,and it is hard to believe he winning Direction and not GOTY,basically the game who wins Direction wins GOTY.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
DMC5 over Smash, 3 Houses, Astral Chain... in the OST category is just silly. Even Disco Elysium has a more memorable OST.

Also The Outer Worlds seem out of place in the GOTY category, both FE, Disco Elysium are more memorable RPGs this year.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
People, there was no shot in hell a game that looks as bad as Fire Emblem does was getting a GOTY nom. Zero

Maybe they should do like the Oscar's and expand it to 10 nominees. There was a lot of great games this year

DMC5 over Smash, 3 Houses, Astral Chain... in the OST category is just silly. Even Disco Elysium has a more memorable OST.

Also The Outer Worlds seem out of place in the GOTY category, both FE, Disco Elysium are more memorable RPGs this year.

DMC V got nominated for best OST purely off of one song lol.

Smash is a tricky one given the great majority of the songs are remixes from other games. I'm ok with not nominating it.

Astral Chain or FE should've been nominated though.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
My 3 personal favourite games this year have been Luigi's Mansion 3, Gears 5 and Astral Chain. What about you?

probably Death Stranding, Disco Elysium, Devil May Cry V, and Disco Elysium. But I don't have a Switch so I haven't gotten to stuff I know I'm gonna love like Astral Chain and 3 Houses (and Luigi's Mansion for that matter).

I think the year is pretty good for weird out of nowhere games. Outer Wilds, the aforementioned Disco, even expansions like Iceborne have all been great. Even stuff like Sekiro that's awesome but almost lost in the shuffle just because of how fun the year is.

TBH I would take this over something like last year where all the big hyped GOTY level stuff were open world typical AAA stuff.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
There is definite risk here for damage to Geoff Keighley's image and Game Awards show brand if this thing just hands a ton of awards including GOTY to Death Stranding. I am not saying that some haven't liked it of course, but you just can't hand Game of the Year to a game that:
  • Has only 76% of critics even recommend playing it per OpenCritic currently
  • Has significant outlets such as IGN (6.8) and Game Informer (7.0) among others that didn't give it good scores at all, i.e. not anything close to universal acclaim
  • Even many, if not most, of the positive reviews have admitted things such as tedious, 10 plus hours to get things going and so forth

lol, what

universal acclaim isn't a prerequisite to winning an award, the first wave of reviews isn't the sole barometer by which to measure acclaim, and sometimes the most beloved and/or impactful games are also deeply flawed

if enough of the people voting think Death Stranding is GOTY, such that no other game mobilizes the same level of support, then that's that isn't it

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Hoping for Smash or Sekiro to get the GOTY award.

FE3H was my GOTY but eh...ok, I understand it would never have won anyway.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't some of these gaming awards nominate the ACTUAL people involved/responsible rather than just faceless corporations?

Anyway, DMC5 robbed, obviously.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
The story nomination for A Plague Tale is deserved, but there should've been more. I guess I should be satisfied considering all the other robberies

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted. Smash Ultimate is without a doubt one of the most incredible games ever made. But at its core, it's still a familiar formula. Death Stranding is something entirely new. To execute everything it does so well on the first attempt, I think, deserves extra consideration.
Yeah, though Smash is definitely amazing and the perfect Smash game, Death Stranding will get my vote for how new and well done it is.

Innovation in the AAA space really deserves to be rewarded and recognized, that's why I'll be kinda bummed if a remake (RE2, not making the Smash port argument) wins over it for TGA. I think that's also how I'll break the tie between it and Three Houses when it's time to vote GOTY on ERA.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It's the only really unique AAA game this year and has more perfect scores than most other games.

That may be true, but I would think that it would be unprecedented for a game to win GOTY with the negative review metrics associated with it too. But it obviously has a great chance to win a bunch of things including GOTY.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But even then, why cant a game focus one one aspect and make it really standout? Those games end up being way better than games that spread themselves too thin.
It doesn't take much to do a good game story. I don't expect The Last Of Us out of every title. I mean, my favorite story in a game this year is Travis Strikes Again.

DMC5's narrative was extremely undercooked and left me dissatisfied. I also didn't care much for the music either if I'm being honest. Also I said the combat was the only good thing, that doesn't mean the entirety of the game play was good. The pacing was mundane and level design was extremely mediocre.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Gears 5 ingnored for the most part yet Death Stranding gets more nominations? Geoff's friendship with Kojima definitely shows how biased the Video Game Awards have become.
How many times does this need to be said? Geoff's relationship with Kojima has no impact on the awards.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
as someone who actually played Death Stranding, it absolutely deserves to be nominated in every category it's in. Except for maybe narrative, I havent finished the game yet.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
There is definite risk here for damage to Geoff Keighley's image and Game Awards show brand if this thing just hands a ton of awards including GOTY to Death Stranding. I am not saying that some haven't liked it of course, but you just can't hand Game of the Year to a game that:
  • Has significant outlets such as IGN (6.8) and Game Informer (7.0) among others that didn't give it good scores at all, i.e. not anything close to universal acclaim
  • Even many, if not most, of the positive reviews have admitted things such as tedious, 10 plus hours to get things going and so forth

If you want to go down this route, then it's also the game that has more perfect scores than any other game released this year.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Hahaha you are obsessed with this game. It's getting hilarious

Move on man

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
People need to stop thinking metacritic reviews are the be and end all. It doesn't work like that.

Otherwise why even have an award show. Just put a link to the top 6 highest reviewed games of the year on metacritic with the highest winning GOTY.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Like, what was the date eligibility for this? Star Wars and Pokemon have no nominations, which is a bit shocking.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem only getting nominated in one category is a crime. It should have been a GotY nominee IMO.

I'm glad Smash got in there though.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Side note, but something else I realized this year after playing FE, Disco and CONTROL: There really needs to be a "Best Worldbuilding" category separate from narrative.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hack directing bad tv show actor. Who could've seen it coming.
Ironically, I think the actual direction is pretty strong. Kojima knows how to shoot drama in a digital 3D space very well - he just doesn't have the chops to write it. And he does turn out memorable performances from other members of the cast - Reedus is just a complete nothingburger at the center of it all.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gears 5 not getting many GOTY nominations is also weird but it feels more like it got snubbed because it was a sequel and not a new IP

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Inflammatory accusations
Not surprised to see Death Stranding in all those categories given who the host is...

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Control is the one for me.

But I think Sekiro will win, based on all the conversations that happened at the time of release. It's sad to me that such a cruel game that most won't be able to finish or even experience past the half-mark will be getting game of the year award. But that's a whole can of worms.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I knew Death Stranding would have several of these nominations on lock.

Just from what I've played so far, it's easily deserving of winning several of these categories.