• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Out of those nominated, what's your pick for Game Of The Year

• Control

Votes: 368 9.8%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 784 21.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 999 26.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 687 18.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 627 16.8%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 272 7.3%

• Total voters

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Oh yeah just noticed Katana Zero in the indie section, good shit.

I think it should definitely be in the music category too but oh well.

Jan 11, 2018
Nice to see Control presence is strong. Excellent Nintendo games like Super Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, and Luigi's Mansion 3 getting stiffed everywhere though despite all reviewing better than games like Death Stranding.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Damn I didn't realize Era was this divided on Death Stranding lol, I guess I haven't been on here in a while on account of me spending all of my time playing Death Stranding

the review thread was a total shitshow. But now that the game is out and everyone who is actually playing it loves it, this is probably the last big shitstorm about it we have left.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Control and The Outer Worlds need to win everything. Even categories they ain't in. Just give it to them.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I'm all-in for Baba is You and Sayonara Wild Hearts winning whatever they were nominated for.

Oct 30, 2017
Glad to see Control being nominated, very underrated.

Also sad Metro Exudes didn't get nominated at all.

Plus, FFXIV Shadowbringers didn't get nominated for best narrative and OST, lol ?

Anyhow I'm cheering for RE2 to wins GOTY, I want that message to be received hard and clear to Capcom that we want every main RE game from now on exactly like RE2... 3rd person survival horror zombies game with puzzles and exploration ect

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny how before release, I was thinking Death Stranding was likely to end up in the high 80s or low 90s for meta/open critic and get a ton of nominations/wins for GOTY but I won't like it at all and will probably be a bit salty that it gets those awards/nominations over other games as I expected the gameplay loop to be thouroughly unfun in the way I found RDR2 unfun.

But it turned out mid-to-low 80s, was divisive and is one of my favorite games of the generation and now I'm glad for all the nominations.
Same here it's bizarre, I still like RDR2 but find it to be generally more tedious than Death Stranding ever is.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I'm sorry but I really hope that Smash Ultimate gets the Game of the Year award. Its such a huge shame that it came out too late for last year's TGA. Cause now it's further away from the minds of people than say Death Stranding or Control. I honestly personally believe that Sakurai and his team deserve the award. So yeah my vote goes to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Final Fantasy XIV should be getting WAY more nominations, especially with the music. But at this point I sincerely hope it wins Best Ongoing Game!
Smash has done a good job at staying relevant to the public eye with all the DLC and whatnot.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
FFXIV might win best ongoing game this year since Fortnite got it last year, but not getting a nom for music or narrative is totala-HEE insane.

Eem

Oct 28, 2017
Control did not land with me at all. I liked some sections but the story didn't connect and the gameplay was frustrating at times

Oct 25, 2017

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

It makes comeplete sense when you realize a panel of voters doesn't consult Metacritic averages before determining how they would vote on a game.

It's an observation that requires ignoring how panels actually function in favor of propping up MC even more.

A panel member that gave a game a 9 and another an 8 isn't going to vote for the game that he or she gave an 8 to just because the latter has a higher MC average.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly boring list this year. A lot of expected picks over some more interesting and deserving choices. Really surprised to see Control listed though. I thought that game had a lot of problems and bombed.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Death Stranding is a completely new gameplay loop in an industry where AAA does not deviate from the norm that much. It's insanely in depth and well designed. The score, art direction, performances and cinematography are all absolutely superb as well. The lore is insanely interesting, and there are some story moments that people absolutely love.

it got more 10s than any other game this year. It's going to be an absolute force to be reckoned with this GOTY season, and it deserves to be for how unique, bold, well designed and polished it is.

I suggest Kojima haters get ready now🤷🏻‍♂️

I have pressed forward/accelerate to finish the parts of fetch quests after you find the items in other game to then receive loot that makes me better at it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oct 27, 2017
Any other year most of those games wouldn't even be in consideration for the accolade. 2019 has been a slog.

2020 is shaping up to be another 2017 though. I'm genuinely excited about the upcoming release schedule.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

TGA has a massive western game bias. Three Houses not getting nominated for a single category other than strategy (Outer Worlds in best narrative? Really?) is so bullshit

Edit: this was a dumbass salt-fueled post but I'm leaving it here for posterity (and also because I got quoted 100 times anyway and it wouldn't make a difference lol)

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Death Stranding is the weakest link of the GOTY list in my opinion.

I would be happy with Control, TOW, or RE2 but I think control is my favorite game this year.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Damn I didn't realize Era was this divided on Death Stranding lol, I guess I haven't been on here in a while on account of me spending all of my time playing Death Stranding

Anecdotal, but among my gamer friends, people are leaning far to the "I hate this" camp than the former.

The gameplay loop is just bad. Everything else is amazing (except the narrative), but the thing that keeps you playing is just...dull.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
When you have to specifically state a multiplayer game award... Sigh. No surprise, though, was expected.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shadowbringers should be considered for game of the year, best narrative and best music at the very least. That it's not getting nominated for best narrative is beyond me. The other nominees, as good as they are, don't hold a candle to how masterful SB was in the narrative department in my opinion.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No indie representation for goty is surprising, as is Smash being recognized at all beyond best fighting game. I don't understand what the difference is between best ongoing game and best community support when the nominees for both awards are identical

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It might be time to make voice acting and motion capture performance two separate categories.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
TGA has a massive western game bias. Three Houses not getting nominated for a single category other than strategy (Outer Worlds in best narrative? Really?) is so bullshit.
Three Houses is nommed for best strategy game, which it will probably win. Why is everyone saying it's not nommed for anything?

May 17, 2018
Big love for a lot of these games, but, it kinda sucks that, if you want to win big at these awards, you better make a 3rd person story-driven game.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Oh yea thats confusing.
This year has been terrible for Videogame name titles.

On top of the Wilds vs Worlds confusion good luck finding articles about Control. When Grounded was announced at XO19 I winced so hard because I knew I would be struggling to find that in search engines.

Even Untitled Goose Game is atrocious in so many annoying ways.

It's been a bad year for video game names.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I was all about Death Stranding being goty but then they go and throw 2018s Smash Ultimate on the list which is the greatest game of all time. Like..... Sorry Death Stranding but Smash Ultimate is what it is.