• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Out of those nominated, what's your pick for Game Of The Year

• Control

Votes: 368 9.8%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 784 21.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 999 26.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 687 18.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 627 16.8%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 272 7.3%

• Total voters

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
GOTY will be likely RE2 Remake imo

3 favorites will be Smash, RE2 Remake and Sekiro

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I wouldn't vote for smash personally but there's no way it doesn't win with the amount of love it has in the industry. Overall I think the nominees are okay, a few mishaps here and there but overall okay.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
No DMC5 for GOTY is insane. Ace Combat 7 being robbed as well. Gears 5 and Disco should be up for GOTY too. Control and Death Stranding(lol) do not deserve those GOTY slots imo.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Three Houses was shafted. It at least deserves nominations for narrative and RPG.

And is that six nominations for Death Stranding? Really now.....

Oct 26, 2017
Death Stranding getting nominated for best narrative.... I don't know.

The general consensus is that it has one of the worst cutscenes in gaming history near the end of the game.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 got robbed hard, despite being better received than some of the games nominated a thousand times.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Putting Death Stranding on a game of the year list without Disco Elysium or Outer Wilds (or even Bloodstained) should be illegal.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The nominations for best indie game are all top notch and would almost 100% be my personal noms for GoTY (add in Sayonara Wild Hearts and it'd be perfect).

Not overly fussed by AAA this year - Resi 2 was good and I want to try Control but the rest of the noms are very so-so for me.
Are you me? Besides Smash Ultimate, you could slot in the indie games category to game of the year and I think it would be more fitting lol

Aine

May 27, 2019
I expect Death Stranding to sweep almost everything, because we do not deserve nice things.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Feel bad for all the people saying "ugh this year has been so bad". Even among the GOTY nominations alone, there's definitely something great for anyone

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Can we get a new section simply for "Best Nintendo Game of the Year Award"? because I do feel like games such as Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansions and such at least deserve the recognition plus most of these eSports categories are a snore fest anyway.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Out of these options, my vote would go to Smash, but with it coming out almost a full year ago, I don't think it has a chance to win. My money is on RE2 to secure the win. Shocked to see Control actually got a nomination, I don't recall it being that well received at the time it released.
Didn't Resident Evil come out a month and a half after Smash ?

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Calm down people, DS will win for best soundtrack only (as it should)

2019 was a good year, huh?

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Once again, The panel that selects the nominees doesn't include Geoff guys lol. If you checked out the reviews, the people who liked REALLY loved it so I'm not shocked to see it in

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I will continue shilling for this game forever but it's a shame AI: The Somnium Files wasn't nominated. It deserves something, but the marketing has been so dang quiet on it!

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Actually, if I'm going to be upset about anything it's the absence of Cadence of Hyrule from the soundtrack category.

EDIT: Oh good it is there, my mistake.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of snubs for OST of the year is staggering.

Glad Astral Chain and Katana Zero got at least one nomination.

Death Stranding obviously being nominated for everything, probably winning best Game Direction.

Smash is probably gonna win in terms of user votes. Game's a year old and yet it's been in the conversation for the entire year. I can see it taking GOTY, to be honest. It deserves it.

Control being nominated for GOTY seems really emblematic of a weak year overall.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All of y'all's level of DOOMS are too low to understand why Death Stranding is the quintessential winner of the year. I'm a level 3, I got you beat.

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 got robbed hard, despite being better received than some of the games nominated a thousand times.

Is this a reference to Death Stranding because it's not true.

DS got more 10s. That's how awards and a panel voting work. No one looks at averages on a panel, but how they rated the game.

A game with more high ratings but a lower average will resonate higher than a game with more consistent but lower averages.