• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pointless change that only adds an extra unnecessary step. Hope they revert back, or add the ability to create parties outside of chat groups.

Yep. Ever since Ryan took over, I haven't enjoyed this new Sony.

In what sense? Do you like games? Because this year has been and/or will be one of the better years for exclusives in PlayStation history.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Yep. Ever since Ryan took over, I haven't enjoyed this new Sony.

I think Eric Lempel is the one that oversees the OS stuff in regard of effectiveness with the market. He is the one that decides if a feature will be popular enough with the public according to their market research.

I've never liked the guy, but unfortunately he is now in the top position in this front.

Ryoichi

Sep 24, 2020
Italy
I've been reading that the friend list is also glitchy for somebody and i still have to update my system. Guess i'll wait for 8.01 so it gets at least more stable.

Boy, an user unfriendly change in a system update just a couple of weeks before next gen kicks in.

This will go down smoothly for sure!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ah ok, so pretty much like what Xbox does if they receive enough reports about a specific incident. That makes sense.
Yeah, I suppose they could be recording audio, but I still suppose it would work in the same way.

Because this is the first large scale test of a
New system, but may be that they have disabled single person parties , not as a cost saving thing, but as a "don't let PSN fall over" thing

synthplynth

Oct 29, 2017
Yep it began at the point when they forced some kind of shortcut "app" into the personal games list which links to a sale. incredibly annoying to have some kind of app invading your list of games, when i want to buy something i will look in the store, i don´t need a forced shortcut in my row of games.

This time a million.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I suppose they could be recording audio, but I still suppose it would work in the same way.

Because this is the first large scale test of a
New system, but may be that they have disabled single person parties , not as a cost saving thing, but as a "don't let PSN fall over" thing

Yeah I agree with your original point you talked about earlier, I think it definitely makes sense.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I got the update earlier today but didn't try/test it. My friends usually only pop up on weekends. This sounds awful though as described by the OP. Previous system was much better. What the hell

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind this change but it seems weird to force doing parties this way now instead of keeping it a separate option

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
What an absolutely bizarre change. Pretty disillusioning if I'm honest. The old party system was exactly what I wanted in terms of simplicity, this just feels convoluted and awkward. I guess it only really adds one step when setting the party up but still..

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Chat system was perfect. I have all my sound settings set for party chat. So I can start a chat, listen to podcasts and music alone without problems. Now I have to be with another person? fuck that. Sony needs to revert the party system because it is shit.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Chat system was perfect. I have all my sound settings set for party chat. So I can start a chat, listen to podcasts and music alone without problems. Now I have to be with another person? fuck that. Sony needs to revert the party system because it is shit.
Add a friend that hasn't been on in months

+ Just made a group that has all the regulars already invited. I'm assuming by doing this it will make it work like before.

Last edited:

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Granted I haven't used it in earnest but this seems fine. Basically how discord handles private chats.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even care about the recording thing, it's the no more public parties that is baffling. I play a lot of Destiny 2 and play with randoms on there quite a bit for LFG, and it's going to be such a headache having to manually add people to message groups, create new message groups, delete them, etc. just to fucking play with them once. It's a mindbogglingly stupid and unnecessary change. There was nothing wrong with the way it was set up before.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. When I read the beta changes months ago I knew this change would be trash. Stupid unforced error here.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this new system could work as a sort of discord-lite, as some have called it. They just need to add the option for an ad-hoc group. Problem solved.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Create a burner account and add them.
What a hilariously fucked up situation. Great job Sony.

Kinda weird how anyone that joins it spawns a new group tested it some more with 3 alt accounts. After i left with all my alts on my main account i had 4 chats with just my friend and me all different chats. Think group names and images will be key if you play with a lot of drop in drop out randos. Seems so bloated and annoying to clean up if you like your stuff organized.

iOrZ7DT.jpg
Apparently you can't set group names or images any more.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like Sony let the interns that are running the half assed store touch the main system features. Bad move.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I feel like this new system could work as a sort of discord-lite, as some have called it. They just need to add the option for an ad-hoc group. Problem solved.

Yeah, parties can be server based now, so it seems it's something that can be used on multiple platforms (PS4, PS5, Mobile App and Web) just like how Xbox does and that's great, but taking the option of simple "standalone" public/private parties is ridiculous.

VoidCommunications

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2020
Anybody else find that Sony has been making some weird, baffling decisions lately? I don't know how to explain it but I'm not liking this new era of Sony ever since Jim Ryan took over.
Yes. The corporate restructuring has had major effects on their brand. They're clearly thinking differently. People acting like this is new aren't paying attention to the news. LIke this has nothing to do with console warring - Microsoft has also made major moves and has a new marketing strategy.

But like, leadership at Sony is different than the people you're used to, and decisions like this seem indicative of it. They could still end up being way better than Microsoft, who knows. But I think that Sony's internal corporate restructuring and political battles seem to have moved some of the gaming divisions' power around. This and changing the X and O decision seems to indicate that Sony Japan is less influential. This may be good or bad, but it isn't console warring.

Sounds like Sony let the interns that are running the half assed store touch the main system features. Bad move.

That's...not how any of this works. That's not what interns work on.

Full-time employees run the store, same as every component of the service and system. Interns are only assistance for 3 months out of the year on little projects and stuff.

Last edited:

calder

Oct 25, 2017
It's a real annoyance for me playing CoD Warzone as there is a group of about 10 of us who regularly play. Having the ad hoc party groups there to show who was actively playing was a real convenience. I'm sure we'll figure out an alternative, but yeah it has to be because Sony is hosting it all now.

And the freak-outs about recording are expected and goofy. There are laws about recording other people, and it was always this way. Hell, in this thread I see people talking about turning off party chat recording, which is funny because the default is to have it off lol.

Sly

May 11, 2018
I don't like it either. Tying it to messages groups is just odd. Well, if this is a taste of what's to come from PS5's UI (I mean it looks like they are streamlining everything from PS4 to their mobile apps to accompany the PS5 UI) I'm a bit worried.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else find that Sony has been making some weird, baffling decisions lately? I don't know how to explain it but I'm not liking this new era of Sony ever since Jim Ryan took over.
yup it's making me reconsider my next-gen main console

Please list all the things you find "weird and baffling"

- this party chat change
- the decision to "remaster" and resell us PS5 ports that should get free upgrades
- no effort or care for Legacy systems and their libraries
- server support for games getting shut down, some within 12 months after launch
- 7 years on and the biggest advancement to Avatars is that they're circular now?
- no innovation or change to PSnow
- axing PS3/Vita support from the webstore
- idiotic timed exclusives (and that waste of money blowing up in their face with the Bethesda deal)
- being stubborn on the cross-play stuff

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they release this so close to the eve of ps5?
I hope its just an accident of breathtaking incompetence and will be fixed promptly

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
That's...not how any of this works. That's not what interns work on.

Full-time employees run the store, same as every component of the service and system. Interns are only assistance for 3 months out of the year on little projects and stuff.

Obviously, man. My comment is a snide remark about how awful the store is that the designers must not be getting paid and the awfulness is spreading. Not literal.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I only chat with a handful of people but this sounds annoying for people who chat with randoms or chat with a lot of different people. I hope they revert it.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I'm suspecting this is happening to align with modern social medias where most things spawn from a message group.
Likely this is a move towards closer integration with external social medias.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): hostility, multiple prior related infractions
- this party chat change
- the decision to "remaster" and resell us PS5 ports that should get free upgrades
- no effort or care for Legacy systems and their libraries
- server support for games getting shut down, some within 12 months after launch
- 7 years on and the biggest advancement to Avatars is that they're circular now?
- no innovation or change to PSnow
- axing PS3/Vita support from the webstore
- idiotic timed exclusives (and that waste of money blowing up in their face with the Bethesda deal)
- being stubborn on the cross-play stuff
Well, I didn't ask you.

- dumb indeed but not broken and will probably be changed
-you honestly don't think Spider-Man is a remaster? You must be blind.
-different priorities indeed at least we have PS4
-that is a bummer
-this is a bit silly and dramatic to "leave" a console over but whatever
-we don't know what they have in the works so pure speculation
-it sucks
-Microsoft has timed third party exclusives and will still do timed third party exclusives despite buying Bethesda.
-but not anymore? So...

Do what you want dude, there's another OT for you and a website started by former members just for you to echo your concerns.

Mod edit: edit reverted

Last edited by a moderator:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It's really insane that Sony just shut off everything for today sans the Miles GI stuff.

The update really fucked things up.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta be honest. It's much better this way now, me and my friends just created a group for us and now anytime we want to chat on PS4 while playing we just go there. It works like a mini Discord Server.

Aug 9, 2018
So... Public chat parties are no longer a thing? It seems I can't create a chat and call it "star wars shinanigans" and wait for ppl to hop in.

This sucks

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah so I can't do it with just a single person, I have to have more than one in a party with me?

Hmmm I'm not sure. I didn't try it alone, just with this one group with my friends. The friend list on PSN is really unstable right now so I'm avoiding using it lol

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I didn't ask you.

- dumb indeed but not broken and will probably be changed
-you honestly don't think Spider-Man is a remaster? You must be blind.
-different priorities indeed at least we have PS4
-that is a bummer
-this is a bit silly and dramatic to "leave" a console over but whatever
-we don't know what they have in the works so pure speculation
-it sucks
-Microsoft has timed third party exclusives and will still do timed third party exclusives despite buying Bethesda.
-but not anymore? So...

Do what you want dude, there's another OT for you and a website started by former members just for you to echo your concerns.

Do you understand the concept of death by a thousand cuts?