• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a clever move, best way to ensure people upgrade is to ensure the ps4 is the inferior choice in every single way, I'm expecting a lot of updates over the next 4 years that just make the ps4 slower and slower

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Well this effin' sucks, wth...

edit: we may be recorded, ahaha, what?

7hCKZ8R.jpg

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I can see the pov of other methods being removed being frustrating however this essentially just sounds like discord-lite to me but maybe I need to check it out. I haven't been using the playstation parties that much over the last 2-3 years but I remember it being fine before

Yeah my groups all migrated to Discord, so I don't mind Discord-lite. Still, this sounds a bit difficult?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's a complete mess. You should not have to make a message group with complete randoms to let them be in your party. Completely baffling that they thought this was fine.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
All of this comes off as being designed by a committee that doesn't actually use the console.

I'm hoping there's something I'm missing because this is several step backwards. The existing systems could use refinement but an overhaul? Why?

When you're competing against other platforms that make connecting with other players and voice chat very easy, you're hurting yourself unnecessarily. Bizarre.

Anybody else find that Sony has been making some weird, baffling decisions lately? I don't know how to explain it but I'm not liking this new era of Sony ever since Jim Ryan took over.

That's what happens when corporate suits take over people who are actual gamers.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Question to those using this functionality - what microphone do you use? The PS4 camera picks up every sound in my block.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
File these changes under 'what were they thinking'.

FFS. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Just dumb that they took private parties away, I feel like a lot of people wouldn't have been as pissed as they are now if they didn't get rid of those. The problem with this new update is they took more away than they gave.

People are losing their mind on twitter over the TOS line about recordings, when nothing actually changed with it

Yeah it's been known since at least 2013 and probably in their TOS since the PS3 days for all we knew.

It's like Sony tried being transparent for once and it bit them in the ass lol People going around like "OMG I can't say 'Fuck' in chat anymore????"

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
If actual gamers were in charge the gaming landscape would be a pile of ash.

I mean like people that have a love & passion for gaming, such as the original Xbox team who made the Original Xbox & Xbox 360 & the team who've made PS4.

They've all been replaced by people with awful leaderships in whom they don't care about gaming & only cares about money, such as with Don Mattrick, etc. during the middle of the 360's lifespan.

Last edited:

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
You always could, this screen is just upping the transparency. It also might dissuade someone from harassing or being a POS which is a net positive.

Welp, from the wording, it seems like randos we choose to party-up may record us, not Sony themselves?

Either way, I doubt Sony will be interested in me cursing with my friends in my native language. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
People are losing their mind on twitter over the TOS line about recordings, when nothing actually changed with it
Yeah lmao. Like not only does twitter facebook and Instagram and tik tok or whoever can pretty much look at their messages anytime. hell even Snapchat's are recoverable lol.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Corporate must have decided they wanted better usage rates on their messaging apps

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
yeah, a strange decision. we probably don't have the full picture yet, but at the same time you can't just change how things work without giving people a reason why or explaining how you (hope) it will be better

I remember seeing the same feelings in the firmware 8 beta thread.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, from the wording, it seems like randos we choose to party-up may record us, not Sony themselves?

Either way, I doubt Sony will be interested in me cursing with my friends in my native language. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, this has always been possible, but you can opt out in the settings if you don't want your voice to be captured by other users. Now they're just noticing users that their voice might be captured by other users, if that option is selected.

13-BE2411-A87-D-4972-98-E2-1-CD86-A9-B5-D2-F.jpg

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, this has always been possible, but you can opt out in the settings if you don't want your voice to be captured by other users. Now they're just noticing users that their voice might be captured by other users, if that option is selected.

13-BE2411-A87-D-4972-98-E2-1-CD86-A9-B5-D2-F.jpg

I turned that off the moment I set up my PS4 and jumped in with some of my friends, if this new highlight relates only to this, then I guess there shouldn't be any problem.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if this has to to do with keeping parity between PS4 and PS5. This is probably how it is on PS5(?)

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird how anyone that joins it spawns a new group tested it some more with 3 alt accounts. After i left with all my alts on my main account i had 4 chats with just my friend and me all different chats. Think group names and images will be key if you play with a lot of drop in drop out randos. Seems so bloated and annoying to clean up if you like your stuff organized.

iOrZ7DT.jpg

Last edited:

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Wasn't there mention of 100 person parties at some point? Maybe this update is for those and the merge to allow people to join party chat via the phone app too or something?

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 party chat is way behind Xbox One party chat and I can't believe they're pushing it even further. I've been begging for a voice overlay on PS4 forever now.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there mention of 100 person parties at some point? Maybe this update is for those and the merge to allow people to join party chat via the phone app too or something?
This scares me a bit if you look at the image i just posted above, it spawns new groups for every person when...not sure if on join or leaving or both but thats insane bloat to pass on to the user.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else find that Sony has been making some weird, baffling decisions lately? I don't know how to explain it but I'm not liking this new era of Sony ever since Jim Ryan took over.
Yes. I promise I'm not concern trolling or console warring, but I'm really seeing evidence all over the place that there are issues with Sony corporate leadership this gen, just compared to themselves last gen.

Nothing I'm going to skip the console over, but it seems clear to me that they're moving away from their former string focus on the enthusiast/hardcore segment. Jim Ryan is taking the business in the wrong direction IMO.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
This was highlighted when the proposed changes were announced some time back and yes: it absolutely sucks. On one hand, it helps unexpected people (kids) from randomly dropping into your group. On the other hand, it doesn't even help with that (to use this example: if your friend's kid already uses your friends account!).

Baffling decision. There was honestly nothing wrong with the old system.

edit: I wonder how the recording thing stands up to GDPR in Europe. It's always been around but I wonder if it was ever scrutinized under GDPR.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Kinda weird how anyone that joins it spawns a new group tested it some more with 3 alt accounts. After i left with all my alts on my main account i had 4 chats with just my friend and me all different chats. Think group names and images will be key if you play with a lot of drop in drop out randos. Seems so bloated and annoying to clean up if you like your stuff organized.

iOrZ7DT.jpg
Oh God. I hope this is just whack for right now and not permanent.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sony had plenty of opportunity to not do this, they simply decided not to listen and that everyone telling them it was a bad idea was wrong. Here we are with it officially rolling out and surprise, it's as bad as people said it was going to be. Sony really needs to start listening to their player base, their firmware testing group should be more than just "did it break the console?", they should use it to gather actual feedback.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
People are so unhappy with the update #ps4update is currently trending

Yeah and it's spreading false info:

" PlayStation 4 users are not happy about the newest update that reportedly allows Sony to record party chats for moderation purposes " when it's not Sony doing the recording, it's other users in your party that record your chat and report you to Sony.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
This is such an unforced, unnecessary error.

Their party system before wasn't perfect, but it was significantly better than what is available with 8.00.

It really feels like it's part 1 of a multi-part update that just hasn't shown up. Not sure if there is some other shoe that is going to drop, but I hope for their sake and their users sake a bunch of the lost functionality and ease of use comes back soon.

Sony is clearly making big back end changes, but without knowing where any of this is heading, this all seems rather silly.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So here is my theory :

They've switched to dedicated servers for chat, the same as Xbox did in 2013.
This is so that for stability/quality and for security/safety you are able to report voice chat- as this is all text to chat logged server side.

Now because creating a party instance is no longer P2P, there is a cost for having someone sitting in a party alone - so this has been disabled.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Twitter is crazy. So many people just spreading false info about the recording stuff including Keemstar.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, I can't just create a private party and hang in it as a catch-all to avoid randos spouting shit online anymore?

fffffffuuuuuu

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Jesus Twitter is crazy. So many people just spreading false info about the recording stuff including Keemstar.

sony could not have made it any more unclear, you shouldnt have to follow a corporation's twitter to be up to date on their console policies.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
This is the stupidest change. I don't use messages, Sony. How about putting your energy into stopping all the goddamn spam and naked women that I receive in my messages on a regular basis. That'd be swell.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
So here is my theory :

They've switched to dedicated servers for chat, the same as Xbox did in 2013.
This is so that for stability/quality and for security/safety you are able to report voice chat- as this is all text to chat logged server side.

Now because creating a party instance is no longer P2P, there is a cost for having someone sitting in a party alone - so this has been disabled.
If this is true then it might finally solve a recent voice chat issue i've been having with one friend. Sooner or later my voice would be garbled and i'd have to spend time remaking groups or having other friends start the group, all kinds of bad user experience.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's all over Twitter, people cannot read at all where it says "other users" or just refuse to.
How they will be doing that is by creating chat text logs that get moderated if a report is made.
Users don't have the facility to record and send text/audio

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Yup. And it's death by a thousand cuts. I can't point to any one decision, but on the whole there are just so many baffling decisions.

Like, this comes right off the heals of another unrelated, but still just as baffling decision to disable access to the desktop portal to their PS3/Vita/PSP webstore. Why. Why do that.

I can't even remember all of them there's just so many. It's so irritating and I'm getting more and more annoyed at my decision to go with a PS5.