• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
This has been the discussion on the thread about the system update in general, but I think this deserves its own thread - if you use PSN party chat frequently enough with your friends, chances are the current update has been incredibly frustrating, even when it is working (which it currently is not)

Before FW 8.00, you could make parties whenever. What I can tell, from both my own experiences as well as reading others' reactions to the update, is that folks were accustomed to just making a party, and if they had a friend group that they regularly played with, just joining whoever's party was made first. You could have it private, so anyone that joined wouldn't be disturbed, and if you were playing something that required communication like Destiny 2, or FFXIV, you could just invite a person to the party, and once it was disbanded you'd be good.

Now you're forced to use parties tied to message groups. This was already an option, where you could have text chats with friends through PSN that you could also access on your phone, and you could join a party through the message group. It's a nice feature, and my group used it every now and then, but we didn't want to have to invite everyone that wanted to join our party to our "IRL Friends Group", and so we would normally just use the traditional parties. Now it's the only option, though, and while we still can control who joins our parties - it's much more complicated, it's not nearly as conducive for co-op with randos, and overall it's messy as hell. For example - if we wanted to do Destiny 2 raids with a group of randos on PS4, now we'd have to make an entirely separate message group for it, invite them, and then delete the message group once we were done. Before, literally all we had to do was invite them to a party, and that was it.

I don't know how on earth this got past the planning stage, because the removal of the standard Public/Private party system is so incredibly dumb. Revert the system, Sony!

Last edited:

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
All of this comes off as being designed by a committee that doesn't actually use the console.

I'm hoping there's something I'm missing because this is several step backwards. The existing systems could use refinement but an overhaul? Why?

When you're competing against other platforms that make connecting with other players and voice chat very easy, you're hurting yourself unnecessarily. Bizarre.

Nov 1, 2017
Anybody else find that Sony has been making some weird, baffling decisions lately? I don't know how to explain it but I'm not liking this new era of Sony ever since Jim Ryan took over.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the party thing wasn't working earlier for me, but I don't really understand what it was trying to do lol.
Like, I don't get what was wrong with clicking create party, picking who I wanted to invite, then making said party. Now it's going through messages and group messages???

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Leave these feebacks to Sony on Twitter as well so hopefully they will revert this crap back.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
for our group/groups of friends the best use of a party was that whoever is first online, opens a public room. Then anyone can join and talk about whatever, easily. Now everyone must be manually invited which creates a hurdle and an additional step of sending a message everytime "invite pls" and then you might not even want to bother with that etc.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Supremely stupid. It doesn't add anything and you could make it private so I don't understand the change. Hopefully they see how much people hate it and change it back. It wasn't broken before.

nath999

May 7, 2018
Funny enough the Broken party system on Xbox One at launch is what ended up driving me away to Sony who had a functioning system.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Party chat being a nightmare for the past few years is one of the main things that has been pushing me to Xbox for next gen. I can't believe they are making it worse.

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
Yeah, I don't see any benefits to this new system. At all. We already have custom groups through the friendlist as well so inviting a certain clique of friends was never an issue.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I've used party chats only a handful of times, but it has been relatively easy and smooth. These changes sound baffling, and I seriously hope this isn't representative of the PS5 when it comes to online gaming.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Anybody else find that Sony has been making some weird, baffling decisions lately? I don't know how to explain it but I'm not liking this new era of Sony ever since Jim Ryan took over.

Yep it began at the point when they forced some kind of shortcut "app" into the personal games list which links to a sale. incredibly annoying to have some kind of app invading your list of games, when i want to buy something i will look in the store, i don´t need a forced shortcut in my row of games.

and yes this "new" Sony comes off as if the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

Yes all the games coming out this year on day one are a sign of bad things to come for sure.
Insomniac deal happened on his watch as well.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to at least make a solo party so I can't hear people in MK11 online since that game doesn't have a mute option...

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I didn't even realize the messages app was being merged until I just opened it. Nice it'll be back in the same app but I wonder why this change. I really hope they add the ability to voice chat via your phone in a party cause that's one of the best features on Xbox imo. Very fun when you wanna chat with friends without loading up your console.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even realize the messages app was being merged until I just opened it. Nice it'll be back in the same app but I wonder why this change. I really hope they add the ability to voice chat via your phone in a party cause that's one of the best features on Xbox imo. Very fun when you wanna chat with friends without loading up your console.

That would be dope.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
It's a huge pain in the ass. I was trying to play with a small section of friends this morning and had to just send out one to our bigger groups. Not the end of the world but feel bad annoying everyone who wasn't online and was using their phones for work

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Totally forgot about this because I was excited for 2FA. Fuck this it's awful.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
I can see the pov of other methods being removed being frustrating however this essentially just sounds like discord-lite to me but maybe I need to check it out. I haven't been using the playstation parties that much over the last 2-3 years but I remember it being fine before

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
It's so shit and like someone above said it's clearly made by people who don't use it themselves.

Sony is actually unbelievably shit when it comes to multiplayer. Sucks that all my friends are on PSN and so I'm stuck on it too.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
It looks like parties can be saved and run directly from Sony's servers now, probably to sync between PS4, PS5, App and Web.

I would have no problem if they kept fixed parties for groups. But the option to create quick parties without the need for a group should be maintained (and be the default). The option to create private parties was essential as well.

I really can't understand why the old system was "bad". It already had the option to create parties from groups.