• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I always said I enjoyed my time with Anthem. I got my money's worth, no regrets. But at this point, I'd say just put all that effort into A2. Anyway, if big enough changes happen, I'll come back for another playthrough

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
They are not announcing anything imminent. Everything is still "months" out. A year after launch.

My guess is they want Anthem 2.0 in time for next gen launch. Probably hoping this will be the big and pretty f2p game people play on their new consoles. Next gen Warframe.

Oct 29, 2017
We're selling what happened to FF14 way short by throwing "getting the realm reborn treatment" around so much. What happened with FF14 was fucking insane and nothing compares.

Another Anthem thread, another crop of "Oh, they can just Realm Reborn it. NBD." posts. :/

I played Anthem for 100 hours, I 100%'ed it. Even if they can salvage the game, what's the point? There's nothing interesting about the story or world of Anthem. No one cares about the lore or characters. This isn't Final Fantasy. They'd be better served by starting over with something new.

Also, "three seasons of new content" is a really generous way to describe the updates that Anthem has recieved thus far.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They are not announcing anything imminent. Everything is still "months" out. A year after launch.

My guess is they want Anthem 2.0 in time for next gen launch. Probably hoping this will be the big and pretty f2p game people play on their new consoles. Next gen Warframe.
And, to be honest, if I were in charge of the business side, that's precisely what I'd do too. People having a hunger for a new game for their new system and Anthem 2.0 being one of the earliest choices would make sense.

... unless they're rushing it to meet that new deadline and it's a mess all over again.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Another Anthem thread, another crop of "Oh, they can just Realm Reborn it. NBD." posts. :/

I played Anthem for 100 hours, I 100%'ed it. Even if they can salvage the game, what's the point? There's nothing interesting about the story or world of Anthem. No one cares about the lore or characters. This isn't Final Fantasy. They'd be better served by starting over with something new.
The reason it was not interesting lore/world wise is DICE/EA just messed it up. They could have made it awesome because their ideas behind the lore could be amazingly interesting. Just reboot Anthem, flesh out the lore and world etc.

THE_W1TCHER

Oct 28, 2017
I never want humanoid flight in a Mass Effect. That shit has to be more grounded than this. Science fiction.

We have jet pack hover mechanic in Andromeda and it works well. Going to a new galaxy, they could justify the flight with alien technology. I think flying around with your companions and having vertical exploration is more fun than driving around.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Sounds like that Anthem 2.0 is still ages away and until then there won't be any new content but basically just reusing the past ~12 months of content until Anthem 2.0 drops

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have them put resources on DA or mass effect tbh.

They won't come back with anthem after all of this
I just want all hands on deck for Dragon Age, it's their best IP and the other games had their chance. It's DA's time, but it feels like it will suffer because they are juggling and trying to worry with too much at once.

Uvl877v.jpg

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Wish it was more meaty where they adress the specific problems they plan to tackle, but at least it's something. My guess is that they're aiming for a big re-release in time for the new consoles. Doubt it'll be enough to really get the game back on track considering how long they left it in a sad state, but there's potential for it to work out to some degree.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Its just perpetual negativity, I just dont think it is healthy for people. And I think we should try harder to avoid it. Changing a whole company is hard, but trying to improve yourself (not specifically, just a general term) is much easier and even more rewarding.

Im quite sure you dont, but young impressionable minds definitely do. So we as adults need to act better, so we can hope to influence younger people on the internet to also be nicer as well.

I'm not sure lying/sugarcoating hard truths is setting the best example for "young, impressionable minds" and that's certainly not how I approach parenting my own kid. When things are good, I'm honest about them being good. When they're bad, I'm honest about them being bad. EA is, honestly, mostly pretty bad. I don't see why I should pretend that is not the case because I have some vague hypothetical obligation to faceless young children on the internet.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its just perpetual negativity, I just dont think it is healthy for people. And I think we should try harder to avoid it. Changing a whole company is hard, but trying to improve yourself (not specifically, just a general term) is much easier and even more rewarding.
if EA is making claims that people doubt them for, that's for EA to fix. not the doubters. the doubt exists for a reason and there's no need to change that until EA gives us a reason to change it

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they're talking about major updates, but there just isn't enough information here to get seriously excited about yet.

Maybe they shouldn't have mentioned this yet until they had something concrete to show off? The lack of details makes it very hard for me to be excited.

Also, I kind of feel like maybe they should have pulled the current game so that they wouldn't have to split their teams up with one working on the major updates and one working on keeping the current game going. Just pull it and put everyone on the big update. Go full Realm Reborn on this.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Too many negative fucking people in here. Jesus Christ.

How about just be optimistic that they can fix it? What harm does that do? You don't have to think about it till it comes out, and if you do you can say "I hope it's good! Good games are good! I wish all games were good!" And move on with your day.

Maybe they turn it around? Maybe they don't? You should at least hope that they do, because then there will be another cool game for you to play.

Bioware doesn't really endear me

check any threads about announcement for FF7 remake, recent capcom games like Monster Hunter and resident evil, and cyberpunk and you see a lot of optimism

Hmmm, I wonder what the difference is?

I had fun with Anthem and I hope they nail it with the revisions.

I don't know how worth it is for them to turn it around as I'm not sure exactly what they'd be getting out of it. Maybe it's become a bit of a passion project and they feel they have to nail it to salvage both the Bioware and Anthem name. That way they can put out a proper Anthem 2 down the line.

Either way I'm looking forward to it. They can say what they want but I'm sure they know the proof is in the pudding and that the fans want proper results and not just words. Let's see what they can do.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! I've played a solid amount of Anthem and still play it about once a week, can't wait to see what the re-work looks like!

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to it!
There is soo much potential with the game and flying around like iron man is very addictive.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they pull it off but I feel like it shouldn't have taken a year to make publicly make that decision.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Too many negative fucking people in here. Jesus Christ.

How about just be optimistic that they can fix it? What harm does that do? You don't have to think about it till it comes out, and if you do you can say "I hope it's good! Good games are good! I wish all games were good!" And move on with your day.

Maybe they turn it around? Maybe they don't? You should at least hope that they do, because then there will be another cool game for you to play.

I see a normal, healthy amount of criticism in this thread for shipped product that disappointed quite a few people.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I see a normal, healthy amount of criticism in this thread for shipped product that disappointed quite a few people.

Yeah honestly, this thread isnt that bad. I just see so much negativity everywhere and it makes me sad.

And worse, my accidentally negative comment on all the negativity makes it all worse. Haha. Oops, my bad. Sorry everyone! :)

Oct 26, 2017
People have been shitting on EA for at the very least 5 years, probably 10. Nothing has changed. All it does it make more and more people on message boards and the internet act even more shitty, because they see it everywhere so they think it's how you "fit in".

We need to break away from this completely negative way of talking, and move to a more positive (but still critical) way of expressing our thoughts.
Changing the fundamental way of how the internet communicates is more realistic than BioWare fixing Anthem

To end on a bit of positivity: I mean I still wish them luck. But it's a hell of a tall order.

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they can really give it the realm reborn treatment.

But they should just let the game speak for itself once it's ready.
No writing about beforehand what could be but showing what has been done and let the players experience it first hand.
After the shallow release it's (in my opinion) the only thing that they could do to win people back on the franchise.

Oct 30, 2017

Also, "three seasons of new content" is a really generous way to describe the updates that Anthem has recieved thus far.
The only, only, ONLY way you would get people to suddenly care about the lore and worldbuilding of Anthem is if you retconned what was there and rebranded it as Anthem: A Mass Effect Story. Bringing the ME universe into the fold would go a long way in bringing folks back--and introducing newcomers--to the game.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
This idea undermines how much work actually went into the pipeline for that game. It has a lot of cool tech for its animation systems and sophisticated art direction, by the same guy that directed the art on the Mass Effect trilogy. It's a shlock of an IP, and a game that ended up being rushed to pick a lane and stick with it in the last 9 months but that doesn't mean no work was spent on it in the preceding 5 years.
That's a fair point. But still, it released with a dearth of content. The open world felt lifeless, the hub was sterile, and every gun looked the same. I really wanted to like it, but it ended up a directionless mess, the fruit of six directionless, messy years, by all accounts.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think this is a great approach and I wish them the best. I enjoyed my time with Anthem, and there's an incredible amount of potential in it that was untapped.

Hopefully this makes a strong comeback later this year / whenever. I'll certainly jump back in to check it out.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like BioWare/EA are suffering from the sunk cost fallacy. Anthem is a forever tainted franchise IMO.

Yeah they need to cut their losses, accept it was a failure and pull the plug. Use what they've learned from this for a new game. Even mentioning Anthem leaves a sour taste in the mouth that won't go away no matter how many times they reinvent the gameplay loop.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't Bioware had to practically move all their workforce into this game like square enix did in order to pull a realm reborn?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
The ironman style moment to moment gameplay was so fun. Everything else about Anthem was flat out fucking terrible though. Good luck yall have an uphill battle.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
If Anthem can pull a No Man's Sky, I'll hop back in. Until then, it's staying uninstalled and hidden away.

This game was the biggest buyers remorse trigger for me this gen.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
If they can make the game as interesting as the original trailer they showed at E3 2017, then yay. But I'm not optimistic.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Everyone: "it's dead jim"
Bioware: "hooooooow can I leave her? Wheeeeerr would I start?"

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Never gonna happen. You can paint a piece of shit gold a dozen times but it's still gonna be a piece of shit.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why not try and fix it?

It's not my money or time they're using. I'm not a shareholder. I'm very happy for them to try and fix it instead of abandoning it. If they can pull off another FFXIV then all the better for me.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
From the posts in this thread, it seems like the game had some redeeming qualities. Why they would still be working on it is beyond me.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
+1 on all the allusions to ARR seriously underselling how massive that change was, to the point where I'd honestly call it insulting.

FFXIV was such a reviled mess that SE had to publicly apologize for their fuck-up and threw a whole bunch of shit on hold to shuffle staff in, including getting Yoshi-P as lead director. Under him they proceeded to essentially nuke the original game from orbit and rebuilt the whole thing from the bottom up. As noted in another post, ARR is a sequel in all but name, given how much work was thrown in.

At best we're looking at a No Man's Sky scenario where it's eventually tinkered and patched into something good. Thing is, Hello Games was a scrappy indie studio that had to fix their main big game. EA and BioWare are no where near as indebted to do so.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a year already and this is all still pretty vague. How long is this going to take? I think in reality there is probably a pretty small team working on this, so expectations should be tempered.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like Sea of Thieves or No Man's Sky where there's something to it it just needs to be polished. Anthem's core is boring, just let it go and move on to something else.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure I read a similar statement a year ago about fixing the game instead of releasing updates.