• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Statement seems pretty fluff. I'd like to play someday if they do manage to make the game a little more engaging. Lately i've been really enjoying Escape From Tarkov; going in and potentially losing your equipment as your actual player makes engagements really intense. Playing as a Scavenger to potentially get some goods without the risk is a really neat idea as well.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
that's quite the roundabout way to say "patching the existing systems to work as a f2p game that we'll never update again"

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what everyone said about No Man's Sky.

They can turn this around. But I don't think it's particularly likely.
NMS was a significantly smaller and cheaper endeavor. EA got a lot more people to please and even more people to pay. for that reason, I think it's better to move the team onto something more marketable, especially in time for next gen console launch

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I honestly have no idea how they can recover from Anthem's launch. There's so much bad press and negative sentiment in the community that they'd have to do something massive to even draw in a small audience who were inquisitive about the changes.

I am personally quite interested in seeing what they do with it though, I personally really loved the core gameplay mechanics (aka the flying) and the world (even though it was a bit small).

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You'd hope that they had a more concrete direction or roadmap by now. This just reiterated something we already knew.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Realm Reborn was more a stroke of luck and anomaly. I wish them the best of luck, I'm not sure what can be salvaged, besides the flying. FFXIV at least had for it that it's was a massively popular franchise.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm for this. There's a lot I like about Anthem and I'd love for it to become something I can play and engage with for a longer period of time.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
At least all that Christmas decoration stuff prompted them to give the players an update. I hope they succeed in fixing the game but it will be a tall order. They are going to have to actually overhaul the entire thing and make it very different. Games that have been "reborn" are very rare and when they are done they feel like completely different games not just coats of paint. They have to be to override the stigma of the game being seen as dead.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This feels more like a skeleton crew is working on the game than that its getting a realm reborn style overhaul.

Oct 27, 2017
From the reports we were getting around launch, Anthem seems to be the least of EA/Bioware's problems. They are rotten on the inside, people are mistreated, mismanaged and overworked with higher ups who don't pay any attention to what's going on. I care more about hearing how they plan to restructure into a healthy work place rather than how they want to fix this game.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm curious to know just how deep the issues with Frostbite go for this game. After a year of being out, BioWare is basically saying that they need to continue to work Anthem and essentially redesign the core gameplay.

I can't tell if the gameplay loop itself is the singular biggest issue, or the issues with the engine are part of the reason why the gameplay is the way it is.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
I don't know how you can ARR Anthem with such a bad rep in the industry and with Bioware's massive problems with its employees being mismanaged to hell.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious to know just how deep the issues with Frostbite go for this game. After a year of being out, BioWare is basically saying that they need to continue to work Anthem and essentially redesign the core gameplay.

I think BioWare and EA recognize that there is a potential Bungie\Hello Games\Ubisoft play that can be made to revamp the game and as a result, revamp consumer interest.

But this is a bet. The odds are stacked against them and they really need this move to pay off.

Kotaku had this scoop in November which provides a bit of detail into what lead to this.

kotaku.com

Sources: BioWare Plans A Complete Overhaul For Anthem

Recent silence and a couple of high-profile departures from BioWare have led fans and pundits to speculate that the studio has abandoned its most recent game, Anthem, but the opposite is true. For the last few months, BioWare and parent company EA have been planning an overhaul of the online...

But the reality is that BioWare is still putting a lot of work into Anthem. Details on Anthem Next are hazy, but among other things, the game's developers plan to overhaul the loot, the quests, the social aspects of the game, the difficulty, the progression system, and the world map. One person on the project said they're planning to change the game's entire structure. Right now, the entire world of Anthem is set on a single contiguous map; separating the map into segments would allow developers to tweak and play around with those segments without worrying that they might create bugs and glitches all across the world. "We're also looking at breaking up the need to go back to [Fort Tarsis] after every mission," said the person, "and what a mission technically is. That was always a weird disconnect. [We're] trying to integrate the disparate parts of the game together."

Oct 31, 2017
who is still playing this game?
I'm still playing it. I've maxed out the rank on all my Javelins but there's something about the "Iron Man" gameplay that keeps bringing me back. I hope they are successful with the reboot, the core gameplay is great in Anthem, it's everything outside of gameplay and graphics that sucks.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would be fucking amazed if they can turn this around. It is just hard for me to imagine that the masses return even if they succeed in totally rebuilding and turning it into something fucking awesome.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that I enjoyed Anthm so much up to endgame. It's just that once you hit endgame, its trash. But flying around and killing and grinding out was pretty rad for a few hours.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Kotaku already told us that in November last year...
A lot of "it is not our fault" rethoric here. Er, I am so sick of the "nobody is taking the blame" companies have since this new century.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any player numbers? There has got to be a point where you just cut your losses surely?

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
NMS was a significantly smaller and cheaper endeavor. EA got a lot more people to please and even more people to pay. for that reason, I think it's better to move the team onto something more marketable, especially in time for next gen console launch
I agree. I think something Mass Effect related is their best chance at being a hit.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I said this a while back but I just don't think they'll make a successful GaaS title out of Anthem like they want. Which is a damn shame because the core gameplay of flying around and shooting shit is so goddamn good.

Like, imagine if they kept the core gameplay - flying around and shooting shit, the verticality, casting dope spells, etc - but it was a single-player game with the pacing of Vanquish. I'd pay $60 for that. I'd buy an expansion too if it had good missions and bosses.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to see what they can do. Anthem has a lot of issues, but I still ended up playing a lot of it, and generally enjoyed my time quite a bit. But it can be improved a lot, so I hope they do it right.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Realm Reborn was more a stroke of luck and anomaly. I wish them the best of luck, I'm not sure what can be salvaged, besides the flying. FFXIV at least had for it that it's was a massively popular franchise.

It wasn't just that, they made the relaunch into part of the games story itself to keep the current players engaged too. I'm not sure what they have planned to keep those still playing engaged or to attempt to drum up interest.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
An interesting quote that leaves room for some interpretation on who's to blame imo.
Jason Schreier's Anthem postmortem from last year leaves little room for interpretation. Anthem's failure is 100% on BioWare. Leadership straight up failed. The fact that a hastily put together E3 demo is what actually gave the devs vision on what kind of game they were making speaks volumes.

Nov 2, 2017
We're selling what happened to FF14 way short by throwing "getting the realm reborn treatment" around so much. What happened with FF14 was fucking insane and nothing compares.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Nothing about Anthem particularly appealed to me from the very start, so they'd need a entire overhaul of the the philosophy of the game to get me onboard.

But I wish them the best.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of any real details after this long from their last statement is disappointing. More fluff and no substance. Why should players wait BioWare?

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Temper you expectations. They arent redoing the whole game like realm reborn. I would expect the same bland campaign but with an improved gameplay loop

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
It wasn't just that, they made the relaunch into part of the games story itself to keep the current players engaged too. I'm not sure what they have planned to keep those still playing engaged or to attempt to drum up interest.

Yeah. Thinking back about it it was such a major undertaking I wonder if any dev could pull somethign similar. I certainly have zero faith in modern BioWare to be able to pull this off. I really hope I'm wrong.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it would be better to scrap it. There's just too many flaws at the fundamental level. The gameplay is built around ability spam rather than shooting, the quest design is repetitive and uninspired, the loot is not worthwhile, the open world is poorly designed, etc. The jetpack traversal is all the game has going for it.

At this point you might as well pull an Overwatch and put the jetpack system in a better game.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Kotaku already told us that in November last year...
A lot of "it is not our fault" rethoric here. Er, I am so sick of the "nobody is taking the blame" companies have since this new century.

What do you want the Community Manager writing this post to do? Name & blame producers that since departed the company and who had to deal with demands of their bosses in turn? Blame the EA Board or CEO? Blame developers on the ground level who surely crunched to hell and back?

Also, how are you getting "it is not our fault" in any of this?

" We have also heard your feedback that Anthem needs a more satisfying loot experience, better long-term progression and a more fulfilling end game. So we recognize that there's still more fundamental work to be done to bring out the full potential of the experience, and it will require a more substantial reinvention than an update or expansion."
" And to do that properly we'll be doing something we'd like to have done more of the first time around – giving a focused team the time to test and iterate, focusing on gameplay first."
" Creating new worlds is central to our studio mission, but it's not easy. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we miss."

I am REALLY confused about anyone not believing this game can be turned around after years of having games of every kind and budget do exactly that - Final Fantasy 14, Destiny, No Man's Sky. How can you possibly look at what happened to a game like No Man's Sky and how it changed and then go "I don't think there is anything to salvage in Anthem"?

Turn it into a pure loot shooter built around easily repeatable quests & challenges, a semi-open world fully built around that goal, too. Turn the endgame into THE game. Funnel all your aspirations in storytelling and writers into the next big single player game instead and turn Anthem into a fast, fun and easy-to-get-into Free to Play Loot Shooter with production values no other game on the market can compete with.

Last edited:

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine this going anywhere. I was doubtful of Final Fantasy, but at the very least, it had a number of things going for it that Anthem doesn't. First, it's fucking Final Fantasy and has a built in audience. There is no great love for the Anthem IP -- quite the opposite. I think it's too late to salvage, but good luck.

SloMoBackSlap

Feb 15, 2018
An interesting quote that leaves room for some interpretation on who's to blame imo.

EA put a hard stop on any further delays and forced a launch last year. Granted, the game had been in development for a very long time, and despite their forcing of frostbite as the game engine to use, it was ultimately Bioware that spun their wheels for so long and didn't really get to work until Darrah took over.

Maybe it isn't placing any blame, but more of an admission of mistakes made.

Oct 30, 2017
Wonder if they'll do a relaunch trailer at E3. Because I have no idea how they'd successfully promote this game in order to increase their walking corpse of a player count.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
As jschreier pointed out on Twitter, there's no mention of Story in that blog. RIP those groundbreaking dialog options.

Also the site crashing is so meta.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw a lot of people saying FF XIV and No Man's Sky were forever ruined, but here we are. I'll wait and see how the game is instead of judging now.