• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 1, 2018

Hey everyone!

One year ago, we were preparing to launch Anthem – a game that represented a big leap into new territory for us as a studio. It was an exhilarating and terrifying experience to go out to the world with something new and different, and we are grateful to all the players who have come along with us on the journey. It has been a thrill for us to see the creativity of our players in designing customized Javelins, and watching them master Anthem's flying and fighting gameplay. I am so proud of the work the team has put into this game, and at the same time there's so much more that we – and you – would have wanted from it.

Over the last year, the team has worked hard to improve stability, performance and general quality of life while delivering three seasons of new content and features. We have also heard your feedback that Anthem needs a more satisfying loot experience, better long-term progression and a more fulfilling end game. So we recognize that there's still more fundamental work to be done to bring out the full potential of the experience, and it will require a more substantial reinvention than an update or expansion. Over the coming months we will be focusing on a longer-term redesign of the experience, specifically working to reinvent the core gameplay loop with clear goals, motivating challenges and progression with meaningful rewards – while preserving the fun of flying and fighting in a vast science-fantasy setting. And to do that properly we'll be doing something we'd like to have done more of the first time around – giving a focused team the time to test and iterate, focusing on gameplay first.

In the meantime, we will continue to run the current version of Anthem, but move away from full seasons as the team works towards the future of Anthem. We'll keep the game going with events, store refreshes, and revisiting past seasonal and cataclysm content – starting with our anniversary towards the end of the month.

Creating new worlds is central to our studio mission, but it's not easy. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we miss. What keeps us going is the support from players like you. Your feedback gives us guidance on how we can improve, and your passion inspires us with the courage to create. I look forward to working together with your involvement and feedback towards the best possible future for Anthem.

Casey

maybe they will finally add text chat to the PC version?

hopefully they see this. a pretty good suggestion list:

On top of the revamped loot system and end game, they also need the following if they want to succeed into next gen imo:
  • Fully open world (including the city)
  • No flight ceiling (below cloud level at least)
  • No flight timer (outside combat at least)
  • Bigger world with more environment variety, and free-form exploration
Without that, Anthem will feel far too restrictive and last gen once the PS5/Series X are out.

Last edited:

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Time to find out if Bioware can pull off a Realm Reborn or a No Man's Sky-level overhaul.

I'm doubtful, but I hope they can.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious to know just how deep the issues with Frostbite go for this game. After a year of being out, BioWare is basically saying that they need to continue to work Anthem and essentially redesign the core gameplay.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing it'll have a next-gen relaunch and most likely be F2P. I'm pretty excited. I played like an hour and got bored pretty quick, but there's definitely something there that can be salvaged into a solid game. More Iron Man combat and less mindless mob encounters, pls

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Well I'm all for them trying as the core gameplay mechanics are very satisfying and addictive.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
May play this game depending on how this goes, I don't think they'll muck it up twice and other games like this that get reworked end up ok

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
And to do that properly we'll be doing something we'd like to have done more of the first time around – giving a focused team the time to test and iterate, focusing on gameplay first.

An interesting quote that leaves room for some interpretation on who's to blame imo.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't giving up so that is a good sign

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they have been saying the same thing since launch which was over a year ago. i hope someone goes and finds their previous press releases because its literally the same thing.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they can make some vast improvements and make it a good game.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like BioWare/EA are suffering from the sunk cost fallacy. Anthem is a forever tainted franchise IMO.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Probably the best decision for the game, but maybe not the best decision for BioWare.

Anthem feels like it might have been a huge waste of money, and whilst it's obviously salvageable, if they fail again then they've not only wasted even more resources on it, but time as well. The BioWare brand isn't in a great place right now and failing to turn Anthem around would do way worse damage than just letting it go.

I mean, in my uninformed opinion of course. I'm sure much smarter people than me made the decisions.

I hope.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I did not take that away from the blog post.

So we recognize that there's still more fundamental work to be done to bring out the full potential of the experience, and it will require a more substantial reinvention than an update or expansion. Over the coming months we will be focusing on a longer-term redesign of the experience, specifically working to reinvent the core gameplay loop with clear goals, motivating challenges and progression with meaningful rewards – while preserving the fun of flying and fighting in a vast science-fantasy setting. And to do that properly we'll be doing something we'd like to have done more of the first time around – giving a focused team the time to test and iterate, focusing on gameplay first.

In the meantime, we will continue to run the current version of Anthem, but move away from full seasons as the team works towards the future of Anthem.

This part feels very Realm Reborn-like. The fact that they acknowledge that the game needs more than just a patch or expansion to "fix" the experience. But will keep the lights on the current game, for a time.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather have them put resources on DA or mass effect tbh.

They won't come back with anthem after all of this

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Is this new? Feels like I've read this before, like months ago.

Anyways I'd love if they did turn it around but this update doesn't inspire that hope. Just feels like more words.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Leave anthem behind. Take the flying to a new thing if that's the part of anthem you love so much. No reason to keep the current world going. It offers nothing new.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Over the coming months we will be focusing on a longer-term redesign of the experience, specifically working to reinvent the core gameplay loop with clear goals, motivating challenges and progression with meaningful rewards – while preserving the fun of flying and fighting in a vast science-fantasy setting.

Something tells me, we won't be hearing about Anthem 2.0 until the end of the year. On the one year anniversary of this game, we get more "Please stay tuned" messaging from Bioware. I don't know if anyone will be ready to experience Anthem 2.0 when we will be getting new AAA games and new consoles.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Man...the fact that they're not giving up here and EA still wants to proceed with the game I guess is making me hopeful. But I really don't know...

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I'll have to see it to believe it i feel like this isnt the first time a big overhaul was said to be coming, and regardless of if thats true or not i have to see how they plan on doing it while making it viable investment wise, are they gonna do a full relaunch and rerelease or try to suck their current fans dry with macro and micro transactions

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Realm Reborn-ing this game would mean that Bioware wouldn't have any major output for a long while. that's probably a worse outcome.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like BioWare/EA are suffering from the sunk cost fallacy. Anthem is a forever tainted franchise IMO.
I feel the same way. FFXIV was going to get players to come back because it is FF. Destiny functioned just was kind shallow until Taken King. No Man Sky was getting better and better updates since release with Next really attracting new players.

I'm curious to see if Anthem can garner new fans while being out of the limelight for so long. I wonder if anyone outside of the Reddit will care much.

I'll give it a a try.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, this doesn't sound like much change is coming. If it was a full blown relaunch like Final Fantasy 14 back then this announcement would be (way) bigger. At least a trailer or something. But we will see in a few months. I am not really interested in the game anymore but they can still change my mind.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
They should just Apex Legends it. Take the pieces that work and turn it into a new, more marketable IP.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
"reinvent the core gameplay loop"

giphy.gif

I mean, that's a massive undertaking

Oct 26, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it, I don't think Bioware/EA has it in them to pull off a FFXIV style situation.

Last edited:

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
Sounds like a lot of talk, but no specifics? Haven't they been saying they are gonna improve the game forever now? I'll believe it when I see it.