• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Bookman

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
better video to show the process too

I think someone has yet to crack "lower budget" cartoony 3D animations that are convincing. You do see it in some japanese games. I'm not sure I would count Telltale's later games there, because they just feel like "worse" versions of regular high budget 3D animations that aren't mocapped, instead of overly stylized like I think would fit for MI.

Yes, whoever wants to try should practice on animating Stan.

OP
OP
Bookman

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I sold my Max Head for 65€. It paid for Fallout 4 for me.

Unavowed is a pretty good experience, but it's another one that's to linear in it's structure. It has pretty much no real puzzles, but rather just a hunt for you to click on the next pixel that allows you to progress.

Agree. And for me it was also one of those game that I really wanted to like but at the end just sort of mildly enjoyed.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I think the best thing that we could maybe realistically hope for in regards to Monkey Island would be that someone inside Disney who has a fondness for the franchise licenses the series back to Ron Gilbert for real cheap and lets him to whatever he wants with a new sequel.
I know Gilbert wants to get the ip back but we all know that will never happen.
A new sequel by Gilbert on the 30th Anniversary would be a dream.
Though I'd also take a sequel to Curse since I absolutely love that game, it's definitely just as good as the first two imo.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I think the best thing that we could maybe realistically hope for in regards to Monkey Island would be that someone inside Disney who has a fondness for the franchise licenses the series back to Ron Gilbert for real cheap and lets him to whatever he wants with a new sequel.
I know Gilbert wants to get the ip back but we all know that will never happen.
A new sequel by Gilbert on the 30th Anniversary would be a dream.
Though I'd also take a sequel to Curse since I absolutely love that game, it's definitely just as good as the first two imo.

I don't think it's very realistic to hope for someone at Disney to solve the IP for Ron out of charity. It's not really how Disney works.

And that only solves the rights to the IP, not the development costs.

What could be slightly more realistic would be if an actor like Epic or Microsoft, or similiar actor, bought the license, got Ron Gilbert on board, and funded the game for exclusivity to their platform and/or service.

But even that is just wishes to a star.

Corrupt

Oct 31, 2017
I was glad when I found a mod to replace Guybrush's hair in the first Monkey Island remaster with the superior haircut from the second one.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I don't think it's very realistic to hope for someone at Disney to solve the IP for Ron out of charity. It's not really how Disney works.

And that only solves the rights to the IP, not the development costs.

What could be slightly more realistic would be if an actor like Epic or Microsoft, or similiar actor, bought the license, got Ron Gilbert on board, and funded the game for exclusivity to their platform and/or service.

But even that is just wishes to a star.
what do you mean by "solve the IP for Ron out of charity"?
I was talking about licensing out the ip to Gilbert, not giving it to him. Licensing out, you know like when a dev gets the license to develop a Marvel game.
And Gilbert's on record stating that a new MI game from him would have the old pixel style so it's not like it would be a huge massive budget game either.
I'm sure a "Real official Monkey Island Sequel By Original Creator Ron Gilbert After 30 Years!" kickstarter would do pretty well.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Monkey Island was absolute garbage, so nothing like that please. It didn't feel anything like Monkey Island to me.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Monkey Island was absolute garbage, so nothing like that please. It didn't feel anything like Monkey Island to me.

Not really. It wasn't fantastic, but good, and very much worth playing. It suffered from Telltales reuse of character models and locactions, but still did something interesting with the IP. Chapter 3 was the best of them.

what do you mean by "solve the IP for Ron out of charity"?
I was talking about licensing out the ip to Gilbert, not giving it to him. Licensing out, you know like when a dev gets the license to develop a Marvel game.
And Gilbert's on record stating that a new MI game from him would have the old pixel style so it's not like it would be a huge massive budget game either.
I'm sure a "Real official Monkey Island Sequel By Original Creator Ron Gilbert After 30 Years!" kickstarter would do pretty well.

A kickstarter to fund both getting the IP, and funding the actual development?

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
A kickstarter to fund both getting the IP, and funding the actual development?
Disney will never sell the ip, just forget about that. I was talking about a kickstarter for the budget. Maybe it could also be for the license fee for the ip if he couldn't afford it or maybe he could do a separate one for that.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I dunno Disney seems good about licensing stuff out. Look at the Disney afternoon collection, tons of Star Wars rereleases for current gen consoles, the snes lion king and Aladdin games, arcade 1up's marvel stuff, telltale monkey island coming back To digital storefronts, etc, etc. I mean, disney cleared the use of Guybrush in Uncharted 4...If Ron Gilbert requested to make a MI game without taking ownership of the IP, I'm sure Disney would be down. Even more so if somebody like Microsoft brokered the deal and published.

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Source if anyone can?

This has been true since around when Curse of Monkey Island was in development - some pages of it are posted to his old Spudvision blog or the Sam & Max Funhouse Facebook group. He also started a webcomic for Telltale Games which didn't get to the end of the story. So there are two unfinished comics out there in the world. Both of them are referenced in the foreword to the Telltale reprint of the Surfin the Highway trade paperback as things he hasn't finished yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Steve just has to trust another video game company and be convinced they won't just abandon making Sam and Max games again.

KinseyUwU

Nov 29, 2017
United Kingdom
Max's Severed Head was a preorder bonus TF2 hat that came with Devil's Playhouse. It now fetches a rather high price - one of the rarer promo items.

OH wow, this bad boy paid for my copy of MGSV. thanks messed up TF2 hat economy!

As for a new Sam and Max, man, stranger things have certainly happened, and I think we could all use a lil' taking the piss of current events.
S&M would be the perfect goof for that.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Monkey Island 2 is one of my favorite games ever, but also the other four games are good to fantastic. Would love a new game in the series.

With Sam and Max i got kinda tired during the second episodic game. They were fine, but were very talkative and not that funny, and also felt kinda cheap imo. Still decent, but not as good as the original.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
47461fb31d6bebd761abd4dc50f9eb0a.jpg

This is what I would like Monkey Island to look like if it comes back.

Not the overly vectorized backgrounds with hideous looking characters, on top of sub par animations.
Agreed. that looks amazing. For anyone else looking, here's that painting in higher resolution (minus the Guybrush sprite):

attachment.php

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Steve just has to trust another video game company and be convinced they won't just abandon making Sam and Max games again.
I'm biased but I think it's worth saying that though they did stop after 3 seasons, they did publish 3 seasons of Sam & Max games, which was the longest anyone supported Sam & Max, and telltales second longest series after Walking Dead.
Monkey Island 2 is one of my favorite games ever, but also the other four games are good to fantastic. Would love a new game in the series.

With Sam and Max i got kinda tired during the second episodic game. They were fine, but were very talkative and not that funny, and also felt kinda cheap imo. Still decent, but not as good as the original.

Hope you give season 3 a try some time, it has a different tone than the previous two seasons.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
I love the Sam and Max games. I really hope they come back somehow. I miss the absurd, irreverent, satirical humour and equally ridiculous plots. I preferred the tone of the first 2 seasons, but still had a lot of fun with the 3rd.

I wonder what the situation is with the video game rights. Although the situation for the series is probably not any different, or if anything better, than what it was with Telltale. They were a very different company in the walking dead era compared to back in the Sam and Max era, and they didn't seem to have any interest in continuing it. They did nothing with the license year after year, besides throwing one of them into a small poker game a couple of times. I was disappointed every time Telltale announced upcoming series with no sign of them :(

Ghostswillpass

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Both of them are referenced in the foreword to the Telltale reprint of the Surfin the Highway trade paperback as things he hasn't finished yet.

This Reminds me of how amazing that Telltale store was back then, being able to get the Sam and Max original comics and TV show, not to mention the incredible special editions and memorabilia they did for their games, which would often included replicas of items you find in the game. It really felt that they cared about their audience and the games they were making.

It was great growing up during that era of telltale, it made me life long fame of pretty much every licence they touched, especially Sam and Max, Monkey Island and Graham Annable's work.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
This Reminds me of how amazing that Telltale store was back then, being able to get the Sam and Max original comics and TV show, not to mention the incredible special editions and memorabilia they did for their games, which would often included replicas of items you find in the game. It really felt that they cared about their audience and the games they were making.

It was great growing up during that era of telltale, it made me life long fame of pretty much every licence they touched, especially Sam and Max, Monkey Island and Graham Annable's work.

telltale forum, sam & max shot glasses...it was a good time

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018

I have a lot of fond memories too. Still have a lot of the old telltale game season disks on my shelf (sam and max, strong bad, monkey island). Felt like they really cared about their fans back then and fostering a community through their forum and stuff. All that changed as soon as walking dead came out and they mostly lost me as a customer (wolf among us was great).

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

Used to love that place. Got all my phsyical copies of the games, comic and tv series on my shelf back home right now. I miss old Telltale for sure

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This has been true since around when Curse of Monkey Island was in development - some pages of it are posted to his old Spudvision blog or the Sam & Max Funhouse Facebook group. He also started a webcomic for Telltale Games which didn't get to the end of the story. So there are two unfinished comics out there in the world. Both of them are referenced in the foreword to the Telltale reprint of the Surfin the Highway trade paperback as things he hasn't finished yet.

Ah, thought there might have been more recent news, but wasn't aware of all of that. Thanks for the comprehensive history!

The Telltale forum was the first forum I ever posted on. I have fond memories of speculating on there during the run of Devil's Playhouse. I treasure my physical copies dearly.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing the Monkey series again. Almost done with 3.

Last I heard about more MI games, Ron Gilbert was trying to get the rights from Disney but has not panned out (yet?).

I doubt Disney will give them up anytime soon due to not wanting conflict with their PotC franchise.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing the Monkey series again. Almost done with 3.

Last I heard about more MI games, Ron Gilbert was trying to get the rights from Disney but has not panned out (yet?).

I doubt Disney will give them up anytime soon due to not wanting conflict with their PotC franchise.

Nothing to do with POTC, they won't sell the rights because Disney have no need to sell IP
They would, I'm sure, be amenable to a licensing agreement but Ron has said if he doesn't own the rights he's not interested.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
DotT and some other point and click games are apparently free for Mac owners at the moment:

www.hotukdeals.com

Day of the Tentacle / Full Throttle / Grim Fandango / Broken Age (Remastered) - Free for Mac @ Apple Store - hotukdeals

These nostalgic games are currently available for free on Mac via the Apple Store so hopefully it helps out any Mac users on this site.Usual cost for these game
Does this depend on the region? They're not showing as free here.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
DotT and some other point and click games are apparently free for Mac owners at the moment:

www.hotukdeals.com

Day of the Tentacle / Full Throttle / Grim Fandango / Broken Age (Remastered) - Free for Mac @ Apple Store - hotukdeals

These nostalgic games are currently available for free on Mac via the Apple Store so hopefully it helps out any Mac users on this site.Usual cost for these game
Thank you for posting about this! Not just they are free, but these are all new versions of games that are 64bit updated to work on Catalina.

Katori

Oct 30, 2017
Given how down Disney was for DOTT I wouldn't be surprised to see Monkey Island return someday when the right person gets

Sam & Max will certainly return in some form too, Steve Purcell is tenacious.

It is sad, but Telltale certainly played out their S&M run for a while by the end. Maybe in a few years if the new Telltale is totally stable they could do a new take on it.

Oct 29, 2017
I need this in video game form :/

Is it possible for modders to implement the upscaled textures into the game? Like the fan-made Longest Journey HD for example.
weeeelllll...

I'm not a programmer, but I'm part of the ScummVM discord. ResidualVM, the sister project of ScummVM is what powers the Longest Journey mod, and ScummVM is a modern day interpreter for old adventure games. You *can* do things like audio mods in ScummVM, and the dev team have done things like implement high framerate modes for Blade Runner and other things. The guy who rendered this out is part of the discord and that sparked a discussion about doing something like this in ScummVM. Generally speaking it is *possible*, but would require a lot of work, and possibly re-authoring a lot of things like walking meshes and such if the upscaled art changes things. Plus a re-write of how ScummVM handles loading images to support external images.

From what I understand, The Longest Journey mod just replaces textures, something that ResidualVM (built for 3D rendering tasks) can handle well, but live swapping 2D art assets? Especially for games that might be hard coded to have certain things working a certain way? Might be harder.

It's something they're thinking about, but don't hold your breath...

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Holy hell, does TLJ look amazing with the HD mod. The AI upscaling really shines with pre-rendered graphics.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
weeeelllll...

I'm not a programmer, but I'm part of the ScummVM discord. ResidualVM, the sister project of ScummVM is what powers the Longest Journey mod, and ScummVM is a modern day interpreter for old adventure games. You *can* do things like audio mods in ScummVM, and the dev team have done things like implement high framerate modes for Blade Runner and other things. The guy who rendered this out is part of the discord and that sparked a discussion about doing something like this in ScummVM. Generally speaking it is *possible*, but would require a lot of work, and possibly re-authoring a lot of things like walking meshes and such if the upscaled art changes things. Plus a re-write of how ScummVM handles loading images to support external images.

From what I understand, The Longest Journey mod just replaces textures, something that ResidualVM (built for 3D rendering tasks) can handle well, but live swapping 2D art assets? Especially for games that might be hard coded to have certain things working a certain way? Might be harder.

It's something they're thinking about, but don't hold your breath...

Thank you for the clarification. It seems like this is much less "straightforward" than the Longest Journey HD game we saw.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
IMO these games need to be 2d pixel art or at least hand drawn.
The 3D telltale ones never appealed to me-

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
These games suck in 3D. For Monkey Island, what I'd ideally like next is a remaster of Curse by Double Fine. If Ron Gilbert can't get the license from Disney, Monkey Island should die after that.

Day of the Tentacle is one of my favourite games ever and the remaster was pretty much perfect - I can only imagine how amazing a remake of Curse would be by Tim's studio (especially if they can find all the artwork in the Lucasfilm vault like they did for DOTT).

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
These games suck in 3D. For Monkey Island, what I'd ideally like next is a remaster of Curse by Double Fine. If Ron Gilbert can't get the license from Disney, Monkey Island should die after that.

Day of the Tentacle is one of my favourite games ever and the remaster was pretty much perfect - I can only imagine how amazing a remake of Curse would be by Tim's studio (especially if they can find all the artwork in the Lucasfilm vault like they did for DOTT).

I wouldn't call the DOTT remake perfect. It was visibly quite cheap, I assume it was done on a small budget and they had to vectorise everything and add touches by hand. This resulted in the characters and background no longer totally looking like they're in the same world. They also couldn't find all the original SFX (or it was too expensive, forget which) so had to change some of them. The new clown one is pretty offputting to me.

I don't doubt they did the best they could on the budget, but it could have definitely have been better. Be a much stronger candidate if they'd gotten Peter Chan to redraw the art for higher def, but alas.

Last edited:

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of fear someone trying to revive Monkey Island. Some things should just be left alone.

But I said the same stuff when I heard about the new King's Quest game, and that was surprisingly pitch-perfect.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy a PS4 or PS5 remaster of Curse at a reasonable price.

C'mon Disney, do it! Remaster and port it to all platforms to spread the joy!

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018

I didn't know about this one! I'll have to check it out, thanks.
Thimbleweed Park left me disappointed in the end due to the self-aware ending chapter, so I'm not sure if I'd want them to keep that route in the end. I can't care about replaying it either because I know that nothing that the plot sets up will matter at all in the end. Maniac Mansion managed to have wacky stuff and alternative endings without throwing logic and tension out of the window.

But I'm weak, so I'd probably give them a chance again.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know about this one! I'll have to check it out, thanks.
Thimbleweed Park left me disappointed in the end due to the self-aware ending chapter, so I'm not sure if I'd want them to keep that route in the end. I can't care about replaying it either because I know that nothing that the plot sets up will matter at all in the end. Maniac Mansion managed to have wacky stuff and alternative endings without throwing logic and tension out of the window.

But I'm weak, so I'd probably give them a chance again.

Yeah, ending Thimbleweed Park was such a disappointment. I would gladly back another attempt of these devs (but as said befor, there's no sign of that happening), because I can feel pretty confident that they won't go down this route again with the story,

TP is still a 3/5 game, but not a very strong 3.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I wouldn't call the DOTT remake perfect. It was visibly quite cheap, I assume it was done on a small budget and they had to vectorise everything and add touches by hand. This resulted in the characters and background no longer totally looking like they're in the same world. They also couldn't find all the original SFX (or it was too expensive, forget which) so had to change some of them. The new clown one is pretty offputting to me.

I don't doubt they did the best they could on the budget, but it could have definitely have been better. Be a much stronger candidate if they'd gotten Peter Chan to redraw the art for higher def, but alas.

Yeah I get what you're saying, but the characters never really gelled with the backgrounds anyway (backgrounds were painted, characters were cartoons/flat colour) but it worked due to the low res back in the day. I thought the remastered graphics were pretty damn close to what they should have been. The sound effects are a shame, but to be honest I don't remember hearing much of a difference.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Well now I'm teetering on the edge of buying the Sam & Max complete collection on Steam for £30... just bummed out that Season 1 doesn't have a Mac version

Edit: NVM none of them are compatible with Catalina. Love not having a PC.