• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I would prefer them to remove the standby/rest mode which is an environmental disaster. At least it's something I guess.
That's actually pretty good for PlayStation consoles, but it's still better to turn off the console.
The low settings consume:

Low power
  • Rest*: 0.3 W
  • Rest (Supply Power to USB Ports): 3.7 W
  • Rest (Stay Connected to the Internet): 1.0 W
  • Rest (All): 3.7 W
*Rest mode 'low power use' setting is the default standby setting on PS5

However, they raised the TDP of the console to 200W, which is quite something.

www.playstation.com

Energy Efficiency

Networked standby and standby power consumption.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Now that I think about it, I guess it was pretty eco-friendly. There was barely any material and it looked like it came right out of someone's recyling bin lol.

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
Mine went right into the recycling bin after about a month.

giphy.gif

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The bad thing is that you have the option to turn it on. Actually even worse, it's on by default. And most people are lazy and don't care about the environmental impact as long as they can save a few seconds so I'm pretty sure most people keep it on ...
I'll agree to a point, but rest power consumption is extremely low, and I have solar panels that generate my electricity.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got flak for saying that I was happy with how environmental the packaging was when it came out. I despise polystyrene. It may not look as pretty when you unbox it, but as long as it doesn't get damaged in shipment, who cares?
There are good ways of presenting cardboard packaging, though. It doesn't have to look cheap.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
The cable ties surprised me, hadn't seen that before.

Eventually it will get thrown away, by you or someone else.

They hold up really well too. I've had mine since launch and use it to wrap/secure my charge cable when its not in use. So, its been untied and retied countless times over the six months and shows no signs of faltering.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
First thing I noticed when I opened the box including the cable ties. So it's great thinking. The Series X had a more unique opening but not quite as environmentally friendly.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I keep all of my boxes for my consoles because I like displaying them, especially once I retire them.

Still have my PS4/PS4 Pro/One X/Switch/Switch Lite/PS5/Series X boxes. The OG PS4 is the only one back in its box right now due to the rest of the systems being in use.

Good on Sony for being environmentally friendly and forward thinking.

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
I have to wonder if this is really all that great since every ps5 sold has to be boxed and padded a second time because they are only being sold online :/

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Why does it matter? I stopped thinking about the box the moment I had everything out of it.

It doesn't matter. The sole purpose of the packaging is to get the thing to you in one peice. They managed to do it in a very environmentaly friendly way. That's something that should be celebrated not console warred.

Roli

Apr 16, 2018
I used to keep my boxes for whatever reason. Even when I collected I kept boxes in a separate storage bin. After going through a deep clean in my basement I threw out all of my gaming console boxes, freed up a ton of space.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
What kind of freak throws out their console boxes in the first place!?
I live in a 800 sq ft apartment (used to be 650 fq ft until recently); if kept every console box, damn near half my living space would be taken up by console boxes. I'm realistically never going to sell the thing, and if I do, I'm certainly not trying to get rid of it as a collector's item. Once the retailer's return period is up and the thing is still in working shape, out in the trash/recycling it goes.

The only exception is actually limited, collector's consoles/items. My 500 Million PS4 is still in its box, for example.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I remember that there were online comments this last November criticizing the look and feel of PS5 packaging, saying it was bland and cheap looking compared to flashy Xbox unpacking experience.

But it was clear even then that PS5 packaging is more recycling-friendly.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
"Who would care about the unboxing experience" as they post on a forum that's primarily enthusiast filled.

Regardless, good to hear about the recyclable aspect. I figured as much when I saw the Zip Ties. Would argue they probably still could've managed both but that's neither here nor there.

thenameDS

Jul 17, 2018
They included cable ties in the box? Didn't notice!

Both my XSX and PS5 boxes went straight inside the recycling bin after I got the consoles and accessories out.. never understood people who keep boxes.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can confidently say that would have absolutely zero impact on my enjoyment of a console.
And I didn't assume it would. But you said it like it was a justification for them not bothering with the appearance of the packaging, but clearly they do care about that.

Beduin

Oct 28, 2017
The inclusion of post industrial waste is not very good. There is massive amounts of greenwashing in that business.
If you run a factory that produces anything plastic you will get scrap pieces that normally should be granulated at the machine/in the factory and the reused for the same product you are producing.
Zero waste this way. But you cant advertise on your product that you are using post industrial waste.

If you instead skip the granulating in the factory and then send the scraps to another company which granulate it for you and sends it back to you. Voilá! Post industrial Waste. They get to use fancy wording and tout the enviroment aspect, when in fact it is more damaging then to reuse the plastic in the same factory.

I wish they would have gone for post consumer recycled. This is plastic that the end consumer has recycled and has huge enviromental wins.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
So you just make space around your house for a huge and totally useless carton box to help you sell a console for like $30 more dollars 7 years down the line when a new one comes out? That's wild.

Useless carton? Have you ever shipped big electronic device. Keeping the box makes packing it back up as hassle-free as it can be. Don't even care if people are willing to spend more.

Don't tell me some of you guys even throw away monitor boxes. The horror

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually have to carry my PS5 back and forth from my apartment to my parents house on occasion, and I keep re-using the packaging as a carrying case so I'm pretty familiar with it at this point. Pretty impressive how durable and well designed it is for something so recyclable.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Bingo. My exact reasoning.

The only boxes I ever held onto were apple products, and thats when I worked in apple retail. With my yearly discount I could upgrade my computer/ipad every year at no cost to me with the resale value.

Otherwise just let those boxes go ya'll. Then again I keep old cables like a dragon hordes gold