• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idle Talk

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
bye.

When people throw insults at others because they're using slang or lingo specific to that community, it's incredibly homophobic. At the very least diet homophobia.

I truly hope you don't call yourself an ally with that shit.
I (and likely most others) didn't even know of the connection to the LGBT community. I personally think it's just stupid in general. If it happened to be something used in black culture, for example, I would still think it was stupid.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bye.

When people throw insults at others because they're using slang or lingo specific to that community, it's incredibly homophobic. At the very least diet homophobia.

I truly hope you don't call yourself an ally with that shit.
Nobody "throwing insults" knew that this was LGBT lingo. Nothing in the OP's video implies that this was LGBT lingo. The reactions in this thread have nothing to do with the fact that this is LGBT lingo. Get over yourself.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off with this shit. Finding dumbass crap like this unfunny or cringeworthy doesn't mean someone is homophobic or anti-LGBT. Put the fucking pitchforks down.

Oh, and another thing Link

The queer communities don't feel as welcomed on Era because of specific shit thrown at them that carried over from the old place. It's very evident in the amount of traffic those threads see now. People don't feel welcomed because of small things like giving others shit about the sub community they belong to or the slang they use. It has had a real world affect and I'm sorry your privilege doesn't let you see that.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is 30% people being 'annoyed' by the memes or whatever and 70% people being incredibly condescending.

Edit: ok, and maybe 1% people actually trying to be helpful/explain
Having browsed the thread, this is exactly what's going on. Lotta people trying real hard to turn this into "See, look you're just as bad as boomers!" in their posts.

It's a goddamn meme guys, no need to fight each other over this shit.

Also the OP video isn't very funny but this is amazing.

thefragrance

Avenger
Dec 18, 2017
I try not to care, but the fact that we have such heteronormative dominated discussions has SERIOUSLY hurt the potential of Female and LGBTQ+ communities that could have grown here.

And this thread is a reminder of it—it's like talking to a fxcking wall. But pull out Simpsons/Wrestling/Seinfeld and it's somehow comedy genius.

Clearly, the ONE thing we need more of is another Marvel or Star Wars thread.

But queer humor? Gross! Kill it with Fire! Annoying!

It's exhausting. Because people say they accept you. They say they are supportive. But then when you show them who you are, suddenly it's too much, too annoying. They don't understand. They don't want to understand.

t e a

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, and another thing Link

The queer communities don't feel as welcomed on Era because of specific shit thrown at them that carried over from the old place. It's very evident in the amount of traffic those threads see now. People don't feel welcomed because of small things like giving others shit about the sub community they belong to or the slang they use. It has had a real world affect and I'm sorry your privilege doesn't let you see that.
And you feel that immediately persecuting the people that didn't like it as homophobes is somehow constructive? That does no one any favors. Not sure why you emphasized my username, but I'm sure I'll hear about that too.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off with this shit. Finding dumbass crap like this unfunny or cringeworthy doesn't mean someone is homophobic or anti-LGBT. Put the fucking pitchforks down.
if a gay person tells you you're being homophobic, try listening to them instead of telling them to shut up.

as others have already mentioned, these attitudes killed popgaf and have driven away a lot of lgbt people from both the old site and this one.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Always weird to see clips of someone obviously making fun of something upheld as cultural decline or whatever

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
if a gay person tells you you're being homophobic, try listening to them instead of telling them to shut up.

as others have already mentioned, these attitudes killed popgaf and have driven away a lot of lgbt people from both the old site and this one.
This. I really don't think it's that difficult. Even if it's humor you don't care for, there's really no reason to go saying "Fuck this, kill this, etc." when you can just ignore it.

If it was some alt-right "meme" or something, then yeah I would totally understand hating against it.

Full disclosure I'm a straight male so if I said anything stupid please call me out on it.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
This thread seems to have been made without knowing the full context and does not seem to be generating good discussion. As such we are locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.