• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of the source. And "would officially become part of the already rich verdecrociato catalog". What the fuck is 'verdecrociato'? I know it means green-crossed in Italian, but it's not an English word. Something like 'Team Green' would have been better.
The source in the OP looks like one of those news sites that just scrapes other sites for news and posts it. The real source is dealreporter which is a M&A service for investors that tracks the progress of these deals.

Speculation on when the FTC approves it just comes from the rules that are in place on handling these deals in a timely manner.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
The source in the OP looks like one of those news sites that just scrapes other sites for news and posts it. The real source is dealreporter which is a M&A service for investors that tracks the progress of these deals.

Speculation on when the FTC approves it just comes from the rules that are in place on handling these deals in a timely manner.
Thanks for the clarification. Even though I understand Italian well, seeing that word thrown in so nonchalantly had me scrambling for the OED. Lol.

If the original source is reputable, I'll take it as given, even if it seems like a non-story. As you rightly pointed out, it is deduction from process.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Thanks for the clarification. Even though I understand Italian well, seeing that word thrown in so nonchalantly had me scrambling for the OED. Lol.

If the original source is reputable, I'll take it as given, even if it seems like a non-story. As you rightly pointed out, it is deduction from process.
Yea.. it's just a basic statement of fact. It is possible for the FTC to approve this soon. But I wouldn't take it as a leak or even a prediction. There's very little reason to think that it will.

The crazier thing to me is that there's a M&A-focused business publication with enough readership to justify a paywall (or maybe it needs one because it's niche.. hmm...)

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Yea.. it's just a basic statement of fact. It is possible for the FTC to approve this soon. But I wouldn't take it as a leak or even a prediction. There's very little reason to think that it will.

The crazier thing to me is that there's a M&A-focused business publication with enough readership to justify a paywall (or maybe it needs one because it's niche.. hmm...)
They don't just do M&A stuff, they have a ton of different services.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
i dont know why people were talking about concrete genie but it was a pretty cool game, if you havent you should check it out i think its ps plus extra.

Oct 27, 2017
With COD on gamepass, having it cost 70 bucks on playstation is devastating for Sony. You don't need to leverage exclusivity when a price difference is a more potent tool.
Honestly I think it will do fine on ps5. I would guess cod, even if it's on game pass, will sell 5-10M copies on PS4/PS5

If anything i tbjbk game pass will sell more copies of COD on Xbox AND PS just because of increased word of mouth and streamers encouraging lapsed COD players to try it again

Edit: my mistake, I should've put that I was discussing console sales. Of course COD does great on Pc. My 2/3 comment is about physical console sales at launch last year but I'm at a loss for more post launch data. Did not mean to upset anyone. My mistake

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This is ridiculously false.
it was a bad post i apologize. I got some numbers wrong based off physical sales last year and didn't clarify what I meant. I'm sure it's a fairly even split overal between Xbox, ps and pc, more or less. I just think $70 COD will do good still even if it's on game pass too.

Last edited:

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more of a huge benefit to Microsoft rather than being devastating to Sony. Sony will be fine, but this will help Xbox/Game Pass a ton. Everyone wins.
It's still going to be a bigger hit on Sony in the longer term. $70 on Playstation with all of the alpha/beta, exclusive launch/mode DLC stuff on Xbox first. That's a tough sell for people who only play this one game on Playstation these days.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Have honestly have a hard time believing that so far. People who are into CoD usually just play CoD, they don't care for other games. Why would they sub for a year to play only CoD? It's legit cheaper for those users to just buy the game. It will need way more than just the full game to be there to move those players. Not even counting that by the time CoD is free of Sony's marketing and able to go into GP, there will be more and more F2P options of the franchise available.

While I think there's a fair number of people who play COD and nothing else, adding COD to Game Pass is a clearly huge add that will drive additional Game Pass subscribers, I think it's reasonable to think that there's a lot of people for whom the $50 incremental expense of Game Pass would be worth it to get access to the 3-4 other AAA day 1 games releasing on the service that year, plus the back catalogue, plus the indie games.

Additionally I think there's a lot of people for whom they're interested in playing the new COD every year but not for $70. But as a value-add to Game Pass (in addition to everything else) that's enough to be the tipping point for a sub.

At the end of the day it's not about what COD does for Xbox. It's what COD does for Game Pass, and what Game Pass does for the Xbox ecosystem.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
And you comparing it to Concrete Genie was probably worse.

Ok....and whats really stopping any of that happening right now? Or do some of yall think ppl that play multi platform games on Playstation arent locked into the eco system....

Thats like saying GTA Online being free on Playstation 5 caused a shift of ppl from Xbox to Playstation. Would be interesting to see the numbers but I would guess GTA V still sells on Xbox.

Whats stopping anyone from shifting right now? Price?

If its CoD...its a good thing MS acquired AKB then.
People are shifting right now.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It's still going to be a bigger hit on Sony in the longer term. $70 on Playstation with all of the alpha/beta, exclusive launch/mode DLC stuff on Xbox first. That's a tough sell for people who only play this one game on Playstation these days.

I doubt MS is interested in doing exclusive launch type shit, doesn't seem to be the case with any of their other games that are multiplatform.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Edit: my mistake, I should've put that I was discussing console sales. Of course COD does great on Pc. My 2/3 comment is about physical console sales at launch last year but I'm at a loss for more post launch data. Did not mean to upset anyone. My mistake
Looking at physical sales when comparing Xbox vs PS is a rookie move! Wouldn't be surprised if in the US it was even closer to 50/50 for Xbox and PS for COD sales.

View: https://twitter.com/chris_dring/status/1459974265323855881?s=21&t=vUNLRkzCAk4h-9tvaWw91A

View: https://twitter.com/chris_dring/status/1460909322876198920?s=21&t=OjTfJGGT3kPZ1M0b6ZP1lQ

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at physical sales when comparing Xbox vs PS is a rookie move! Wouldn't be surprised if in the US it was even closer to 50/50 for Xbox and PS for COD sales.

View: https://twitter.com/chris_dring/status/1459974265323855881?s=21&t=vUNLRkzCAk4h-9tvaWw91A

View: https://twitter.com/chris_dring/status/1460909322876198920?s=21&t=OjTfJGGT3kPZ1M0b6ZP1lQ

90% is crazy for such a mainstream game but I guess Warzone got people more accustomed to the idea of digital.

Sep 22, 2019
where my degen investors at, seems like an easy 20% just got to hold for a month or 6 months. dont really see this merger failing but anything can happen I suppose

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt MS is interested in doing exclusive launch type shit, doesn't seem to be the case with any of the other games that are multiplatform.
So CoD doesn't do exclusive launch DLC for modes like zombies? Either way, Microsoft might not tell you this, but they would much rather take 100% of revenue than the 70% they get with Playstation players. The best way to ensure that is to incentivize people to play the Xbox version of the game, which means making it more attractive.

May 14, 2021
Someone pays for Game Pass to get COD, MS wins. Someone pays 70 to play it on PS, MS wins. If this deal closes, MS is about to do a lot of winning financially.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Have honestly have a hard time believing that so far. People who are into CoD usually just play CoD, they don't care for other games. Why would they sub for a year to play only CoD? It's legit cheaper for those users to just buy the game. It will need way more than just the full game to be there to move those players. Not even counting that by the time CoD is free of Sony's marketing and able to go into GP, there will be more and more F2P options of the franchise available.

The problem with the logic of "people who are into CoD usually just play CoD", is that if that were true.. what reason would such a user have to opt for the console that is guaranteed to never again be the default home of the IP? There would be zero benefit at all to pick PlayStation for your pure CoD needs, unlike in the old paradigm where there may have been marketing deals or exclusive content and a split playerbase, etc.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
And all the money they make on it they can invest in other gamepass deals

COD is gonna make them so much money haha, like you said they're gonna be able to fund a lot of game pass deals and create more of their own content. GaaS games like COD will fund smaller games like Pentiment, they will be able to make more games of all sizes with the monthly revenue from all the ABK titles. All the new IP will be exclusive too so not only do they get a ton of money, devs, IP (new and old) but also exclusive games.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Why do you lie unprovoked?

some great talent in terms of animation, I think the game is gonna sell well which will lead to more partnerships with Ember Labs quite like Housemarque, Sony will soon have to snag them both up
link
Sony should be buying Stadia, at least that way they'll be putting that cloud service to good use

clearly that is where MS's head is at considering they have a lack of exclusive content on gamepass, but that shouldn't come at the cost of snagging up publishers. sony should buy smaller devs like ember labs and bluepoints and others of the like and grow them like you suggested to their max potential
link
holy fucking shit! yes! YES!

they needed this and are very deserving of this!

happy for Housemarque!

emberlab shows promise, if they wish to be independent then power to them but if they want to more ambitious and don't mind being acquired then sony should snag them
link

On Why couldn't Sony be this ruthless a few years ago and acquire Atlus/FromSoft
cutthroat jimbo is pleased with your suggestion
link

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Why do you lie unprovoked?

link

link

link

On Why couldn't Sony be this ruthless a few years ago and acquire Atlus/FromSoft
link

knew you would pull this shit when you asked that question because you probably had them ready as a gotcha so let me clue you in, half of them are sarcasm and its clear you didn't get that.

I will agree with Housemarque because they have come publicly to state that they would have gone under without a partner and that happened to be Sony. I would say I am fine with smaller devs too provided they are on the verge of being closed instead of thriving. As for your Ember Labs gotcha, I literally said I am fine with them being independent so maybe read?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
knew you would pull this shit when you asked that question because you probably had them ready as a gotcha so let me clue you in, half of them are sarcasm and its clear you didn't get that.

I will agree with Housemarque because they have come publicly to state that they would have gone under without a partner and that happened to be Sony. I would say I am fine with smaller devs too provided they are on the verge of being closed instead of thriving. As for your Ember Labs gotcha, I literally said I am fine with them being independent so maybe read?
I asked a question, whose answer I knew: those after all are your posts.

I also did no qualification on the question with things like I am fine with smaller devs too provided they are on the verge of being closed instead of thriving.

We similarly have insiders who have go so much wrong, time is coming when they will be called out.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I asked a question, whose answer I knew: those after all are your posts.

I also did no qualification on the question with things like I am fine with smaller devs too provided they are on the verge of being closed instead of thriving.

We similarly have insiders who have go so much wrong, time is coming when they will be called out.

why haven't you searched for all the times I have said that I am against Platform Holders buying up publishers then huh? after all these are my posts too. stop being selective to win your fucking argument

and the fever dream of the next one has begun.....

what remote benefit does this give you? stop begging for this shit

it would be nice if you could draw the line at not acquiring more publishers

now that's been cleared. can we stop with the acquisition begging? it's getting fucking annoying now

link

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Right after the purchase goes through. It won't be everything, but they'll throw up a bunch of stuff like the Bethesda buyout.

At least on XBox. PC will probably need some more backend work, either retiring battle.net, or shorter term if that will take a while, getting a link between XBox subs and battle.net like the EA app right now.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Reasonable chance there will be a comment on how the deal is progressing in the Microsoft earnings report tomorrow.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
At least on XBox. PC will probably need some more backend work, either retiring battle.net, or shorter term if that will take a while, getting a link between XBox subs and battle.net like the EA app right now.

I think both will be missing a lot of stuff. Hell Microsoft made games are still missing, like where the hell is Age of Mythology? A lot of the modern Activision Blizzard stuff will be up pretty fast though I'd think.