• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.realmicentral.com

Microsoft and Activision Blizzard: The FTC could approve the acquisition in August - Real Mi Central

Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard could receive the green light from the FTC within a month. Read full article.
The green light from the Federal Trade Commission for Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard could come next month. A few hours ago the Redmond giant confirmed that it had responded to the second request for sending documentation by the FTC and now the US government agency has 30 days to request further information, otherwise it will have to automatically approve the operation.

Consequently, the agreement between Microsoft and Activision Blizzard could materialize as early as August, with numerous IPs, including those of Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Diablo, Overwatch and Crash Bandicoot, which would officially become part of the already rich verdecrociato catalog.

Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard was announced at the end of last February. This is a pharaonic agreement worth 68.7 billion dollars. Consequently, we are also talking about a rather delicate operation that inevitably led to a thorough investigation by the Federal Trade Commission.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
still will have EU to deal with so I expect it to take awhile.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Awesome to hear! Hopefully they can wrap this up sooner rather than later and we can get a clearer picture of what the future of ABK and Xbox looks like.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Excellent news.

Once this passes I am greatly anticipating numerous teases, possibly reveals, what to look forward to, including GamePass releases.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Some other regions need to approve which are slated for september i think but if this is true or occurs then its happening way sooner than I would have anticipated. I penciled in January To Feb 2023 in my head.

FTC is the biggest hurdle to get past. Might need to move on buying that $ACTI …..

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the FTC approves they still have to deal with EU (which are very strict) and other countries' agencies, so I believe MS is not rushing it any time soon.
But yeah, next month is on schedule by MS predictions so who knows.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: drive-by posting
I'll never understand why people here love consolidation and acquisitions.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Some other regions need to approve which are slated for september i think but if this is true or occurs then its happening way sooner than I would have anticipated. I penciled in January To Feb 2023 in my head.

FTC is the biggest hurdle to get past. Might need to move on buying that $ACTI …..
I got some a little while back, so keep that in mind when I say the price is still a bit (like $10 a share, iirc) under the eventual sale price.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I got some a little while back, so keep that in mind when I say the price is still a bit (like $10 a share, iirc) under the eventual sale price.
Yeah its $77 rn and will sell for $90 🥸 now almost a 20% ROI which is still v good. Shouldve bought when it was $74 🤪

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
so what happens if FTC says "okay fine" but Europe says "no this can't proceed" ?
Depends on the EU's objection. Could be as simple as ms/blizz selling off a few of it's EU based studios. To be honest though, considering the size of the major players in the market it'll go through pretty easy.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Going to be interesting to see how the landscape changes from here on if it get's approved. Pretty exciting given how unprecedented such a move is. Mostly from my own perspective is how subscriptions evolve over time. Much faster than I thought it would be if FTC doesn't have any issues.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
We know at the moment they can't close until at least September 15th at minimum.

Plus we don't know when EU is going to look at it and they're usually the last.

Depends on the EU's objection. Could be as simple as ms/blizz selling off a few of it's EU based studios. To be honest though, considering the size of the major players in the market it'll go through pretty easy.

Activision-Blizzard has like little to no presence in Europe.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Brad Smith made the rounds in the EU pushing for this deal to go through. I really think this deal will close quicker than a lot of us expect.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
We know at the moment they can't close until at least September 15th at minimum.

Plus we don't know when EU is going to look at it and they're usually the last.

Activision-Blizzard has like little to no presence in Europe.
Then I imagine they just rubber stamp whatever the FTC decides.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Activision-Blizzard don't, but King is Swedish and off the top of my head Infinity Ward has a Polish studio.

polish remote. Blizzard has multiple remote locations, too.

But these aren't really "assets" to sell. I guess the locations are but the teams aren't centralized there, they are centralized in the USA.

King, yes is swedish... but Microsoft doesn't really have any mobile devs so there's like zero concern with King.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
EU approved Bethesda deal one week after SEC approved it. Wonder if we'll see a similar timeline here where the EU doesn't really have a lot of claim in this deal so they just approve it shortly after its approved in the US.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Article seems like a bit of a reach, but it is technically possible
It's not a reach. It was initially reported on by Dealreporter which is a service for investors that provides these kind of updates.
seekingalpha.com

Microsoft said to have responded to FTC's second request in Activision deal (NASDAQ:ATVI)

Microsoft (MSFT) is said to have responded to the Federal Trade Commission's second request in its planed $69 billion purchase of video-game giant Activision (ATVI).Microsoft...

Homepage - Dealreporter

I guess it's weirdly worded because it says "FTC could approve...", but it's more if the FTC has nothing else to say/ask for within 30 days, it gets approved.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
It's not a reach. It was initially reported on by Dealreporter which is a service for investors that provides these kind of updates.
seekingalpha.com

Microsoft said to have responded to FTC's second request in Activision deal (NASDAQ:ATVI)

Microsoft (MSFT) is said to have responded to the Federal Trade Commission's second request in its planed $69 billion purchase of video-game giant Activision (ATVI).Microsoft...

Homepage - Dealreporter

I guess it's weirdly worded because it says "FTC could approve...", but it's more if the FTC has nothing else to say/ask for within 30 days, it gets approved.

I'm referring to this part. The whole article hinges on the FTC not responding for 30 days.

A few hours ago the Redmond giant confirmed that it had responded to the second request for sending documentation by the FTC and now the US government agency has 30 days to request further information, otherwise it will have to automatically approve the operation.