• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Fuck it, I caved and bought it. I might pitch an article to the website I write for and do a mini-review write-up.

I retweeted his tweet about his dad doing the pixel art and he thanked me for it.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Any impressions? The game's out right?
*Ahem*
The game is out. I bought it a few minutes ago. The developer(who is rather cool)has great info on his Twitter account. https://twitter.com/shin_yeo Pretty amazing his father taught himself how to pixel art to help him out. On with the game.

-Very immersive and he wasn't kidding with the whole Shenmue thing. The beginning sets the town very well. And I was very surprised on the whole open world feel aspect of it. I ran into a Dark Souls One(When you first land on Firelink Shrine and go down instead of up) moment where I went the wrong way and the enemies were a little stronger than me. I didn't pay attention to the dialog exchanged, lol.

-The game has great pacing so far and amazing shots when introducing a new scene. Love the little touches of interaction with the world so far.

-Music(Which the developer mentioned to me)Is royalty free music. And it fits very well with the game.

-No Arcade Stick Support

-Controls are fine, but you have to use the keyboard to exit out of the game(Didn't check if I can remap it)

I'll put more time into it tonight but love what I enjoy so far. It captures the vibe and setting so well. Even the little Yakuza bits are great "I think I broke my pinky" His friend "you are going to cut it off eventually" lol.

Again, the developer is very friendly and awesome. Show him some love.

Here are a few tips. If you encounter the playground. Jump at the bars to do workouts. You get 3HP from them(The pull-up bar and the dips)The gym gives you 25hp. The clock is very important, so keep track of that to handle school stuff. By studying at your desk you lose an hour for each subject you choose. To provoke a fight you have to be in the intimidation pose(R1/RB)Talk smack with X or Square and fight begins. If you run into a random brawl you won't get hit unless you get involved. If you see someone knocked out you can check if they have money on them. To level up your moves all you have to do is keep using them against opponents. The bag in your room doesn't raise your levels from what I know so far. So far so good.
Just letting you guys know that the dev added an auto-save feature when you go to your room. So if you don't have auto-updates on Steam, download the update. It went live yesterday.
Bought it this afternoon, and I have to say that I am very impressed. The soundtrack really, REALLY speaks to me. Just oozes nostalgia and that feeling that things are going to change in your life, whether you want them to or not.

Don't know where you are Yeo, but you have probably made my GOTY. There is nothing else like this out there.

Be proud of what you've made.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Fuck it, I caved and bought it. I might pitch an article to the website I write for and do a mini-review write-up.

I retweeted his tweet about his dad doing the pixel art and he thanked me for it.
Glad you did that. This is what he posted on Steam yesterday.

ERMh8Ow.png

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
So I have a lot of the little aspects figured out, but not the fighting. How do I learn new moves? What's the point of the video store? Why does my bookshelf have something there but all I can do it turn it on or off. Not sure what it does.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I just "beat" the game, but I'm very confused. Basically ended up in an endless brawl by myself and the credits started rolling. Ok...

LeroyOctopus

Oct 29, 2017
Stumbled across this and bought it on a whim. Got involved in a random fight and knocked out on my second day. Seems pretty neat. I just want to raise this kid's grades up though.

goodsines

Oct 28, 2017
Colorado
Been thinking of buying this especially after jumping back into the Yakuza series, does anyone else have any Switch release impressions?

Oct 30, 2017
Refunded this after trying it. Guess I should've looked more into it because the videos really spoke to me (love the japanese high school delinquent setting) but the "just figure everything out on your own" nature of the game made me instantly lose interest after the opening. Shame.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
so, i finished this game last night. up until this point i was pumped to tell everyone about how much I loved Sekiro and that it was my favorite FromSoft game and my game of the year already.

then i played The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa.

i wont gush too much, but man, this game is a fucking treasure. part of me is thankful that there is no direction whatsoever - discovering the town on my own and figuring where everything was and when it was open was hugely instrumental to my enjoyment of the game. i will say i would have enjoyed a few combat hints. having said that, a few in-game weeks solves that problem and combat is actually really fucking rad once you level up a bit and learn some new moves. you feel like a genuine teen banchou badass when you drop into aggressive stance and knock a dude out with one punch to start combat, ducking and weaving and dancing around, laying these scrubs out all over the street.

i kinda love that it doesnt matter what you do in-game or what decisions you make - the ending is the same. the entire game is just super and genuinely heartfelt and sad and existential in a really refreshing way. friends growing apart, making decisions that result in difficult, adult consequences... the fact that whether or not you spend lots of time with your friends or not, theyre still not going to show up for you at the end, even when you did for them. for instance, i played as if i saw the writing of coming maturity on the wall, so i really worked hard on improving my grades, passing my tests with As, getting (and keeping) my job at the video store, working out and boxing, &c... but in the end, things wouldve worked out the same whether i chose to do those things or not.

i can see why some people might not appreciate that, and totally respect it. but i really digged on it in a big way. theres a creeping sense of inevitability and finality as the days go on, and i was fully expecting a scenario where maybe the roles were reversed, and Ringo ends up maturing out of the delinquint life: maybe finally get serious with Aiko, seeing his gambling addict friend (Masaru?) get into trouble with yakuza and "disappear", Goro just phase out of the group and go all in on school theater, Ken and Shiro doing their own thing...

...and all of those things kind of happen, except Ringo doesnt let any of the lessons hes learning sink in. instead, he regresses while his friends move on, and goes to drown in a sea of violence that we dont know he survives. the moment you get the news that Goro was beaten into a coma was that trip over the waterfall - whatever path the story was going, there wasnt going to be a middle "best of all worlds" ground. either Ringo was going to ascend or descend, and either way it was going to be crushing. the slow fade to black and the title popping up on screen as you keep fighting waves of enemies, so brutal.

HIGHLY recommend. i played it on Steam, so im sure the Switch version is improved in some ways so its even better.

Last edited: