• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

petszk

Dec 20, 2019
The last team is relegated automatically. The second to last team has to define the 2nd relegation spot with the last team of the weighed table... Either way, we are in really bad spot
Oh, I see how it works now.

Well - in a worst case scenario they'll be relegated, and the next season (probably) do very well and win promotion to get back to the top.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It's all fun and games until your team gets stuck in the 2nd division for the next decade and you stop watching football altogether as a result

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I'm seen my team, Cadiz CF, go up and down different divisions so much I don't care at all. I love the team and I'll always be there.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a Rovers fan but I still remember that tie.
O0By4w5T_o.jpg
How did you hack my pc and steal my background picture?

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Maybe you ran out of fucks to give for them
Personally I'm trying to not base my feeling on some entertainment things

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
I'm a Newcastle fan. The first time it happened, it was tough to swallow. The 2nd time it happened, it was much easier to accept

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a Newcastle fan. The first time it happened, it was tough to swallow. The 2nd time it happened, it was much easier to accept
Having Rafa around definitely made it easier to accept. I enjoyed our football in the Championship under Rafa than any of this under Bruce.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I came here expecting this to be about Schalke lol

But yeah, my bad for not reading correctly, they've been relegated before. Still, Schalke finally might be Meister again in 2022.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
At the very least it should be a nice kick in the pants and should be a wakeup call to do better.

This is something I'd like to see in NA Sports but I know it'll never happen. At a minimum, baseball should have relegation as too many teams are content to be mediocre and rake in those revenue sharing funds. At least the the threat of regulation would get them to care a smidge about competitiveness and outright tanking wouldn't be a reliable strategy.

tht.fangraphs.com

Exploring MLB Expansion and Relegation

What if baseball expansion went beyond Portland and Montreal?

Off Base: Kickin' around an idea

Maybe teams should earn their major league privileges. Baseball could follow soccer's lead and relegate the losers to Triple-A.

Think I'm gonna give this a run in OOTP

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Which team do you support if you don't mind me asking ? I'm trying real hard to think of a team in league 2 that's that's just come up recently that used to be in the second tier many years ago but it's escaping and annoying me as to who it is lol.

Grimsby Town. We had a decent stint in what is now the championship from 98(ish?) to '03 and then kinda fell off the deep end. The team has great support, especially at away games but the running of the club has always been pretty dreadful, especially when it comes to the board.

Mr Coopz

Jul 21, 2019
Grimsby Town. We had a decent stint in what is now the championship from 98(ish?) to '03 and then kinda fell off the deep end. The team has great support, especially at away games but the running of the club has always been pretty dreadful, especially when it comes to the board.
That's the one, should have remembered. One my dads best mates is a Grimsby Town fan and has being going since the 80s to pretty much every game. Think you were in the second tier for Pretty much all of the 90s as well bar one season if I'm correct. Shame about the running of the club, all football fans deserve a competent ownership. Here at Leeds I'm still not used to having one myself lol.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
At the very least it should be a nice kick in the pants and should be a wakeup call to do better.

This is something I'd like to see in NA Sports but I know it'll never happen. At a minimum, baseball should have relegation as too many teams are content to be mediocre and rake in those revenue sharing funds. At least the the threat of regulation would get them to care a smidge about competitiveness and outright tanking wouldn't be a reliable strategy.

tht.fangraphs.com

Exploring MLB Expansion and Relegation

What if baseball expansion went beyond Portland and Montreal?

Off Base: Kickin' around an idea

Maybe teams should earn their major league privileges. Baseball could follow soccer's lead and relegate the losers to Triple-A.

Think I'm gonna give this a run in OOTP
Baseball is probably the american sport where relegation would be hardest to implement, because the major league teams also own the minor leagues.

It will never happen in any US sport, because making sure rich people stay rich is the most important thing in our society, but it should. Imagine how much better our sports would be if the Knicks or lions could be relegated.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
It could be worse, your team's double relegation could be immortalized in an award winning Netflix documentary, for you to relive the heartache and failure all over again.

For anyone in this thread that doesn't understand relegation or wants to understand how much of an impact it can make to a city, go watch Sunderland 'Till I Die on Netflix right now.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
When Leeds went down I was young and naive enough to assume we'd just go straight back up again. 16 years later it's fair to say I have a fair greater appreciation for and sense of perspective on where we are right now.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
So if your team is shit. You have to give them money and support because . . . reasons?

You should really watch Sunderland 'Till I Die if you want to understand the symbiotic link between a football club and the local area. It does a good job of relaying how ingrained in the local culture the football club is, its a difficult phenomenon to explain if you don't live in the region of the world where this is the case.

First time relegation can actually be fun as a supporter, as you may start to see your club winning again and as long as you go back up within a couple of years (and aren't financially ruined in the process) it can reignite that spark again. Suffer a double relegation and then get completely stuck in the 3rd tier of football just a couple years after spending a decade in the top flight though? That's a different story.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Baseball is probably the american sport where relegation would be hardest to implement, because the major league teams also own the minor leagues.

It will never happen in any US sport, because making sure rich people stay rich is the most important thing in our society, but it should. Imagine how much better our sports would be if the Knicks or lions could be relegated.
Read the fangraphs article, it deals with the minor league affiliation issue in a pretty good way. Triple A is mostly useless at this point anyway as far as development goes so making that the base of tier two works for me.

carlosrso

Oct 27, 2017
Ipatinga, Brazil
Colo-Colo, Chile´s biggest football club, is probably gonna be relegated this year. We are dead last, scrapping for points on every single game. I haven´t seen a worst version of this team in my lifetime.

But weirdly I'm not mad. The sum of terrible and awful decisions made by the "owners" this year are finally paying off in the worst way possible. It´s like I'm happy that every single bad decision is having a bad outcome. I know there´s not gonna be accountability, but as a fan I can tell them to fuck off forever and ever (Chile Football teams are owned mostly by private corporations since the 00's and that's whole other can of worms).

I should be sad. I should be mad. But I´m not. It's like I'm waiting to tell the owners "I Told You So!"

Maybe when Colo-Colo is finally relegated I'll cry like a baby. But I don't see that happening. At least not right now.

Did that ever happenned to you?
Cruzeiro was relegated from the Brazilian first division for the first time. Also due to really bad management and debts. We are now rebuilding the team, but it seems that it won't be possible to be promoted this year.
It was painful but at the same time in the end it was so clear that we were being relegated that the feeling was the same.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Become an NFL Fan, the New York Jets won't win a game this season, will stay in the NFL since there's no lower league lol...

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
So if your team is shit. You have to give them money and support because . . . reasons?

Where are you from? I've found that some countries (like the USA) don't have a sense of local culture that even compares to what some of the European/South American countries have.
Tell us where you are from so we can explain it to you with your own local examples. Because right now it just sounds you don't understand the concept at all.

Catilio

Nov 7, 2017
Colo Colo is the oldest (95 years) and most popular club in Chile, never in the B-League. Going down is like, I don't know, something that no one ever believed it could happen, and it may happen folks.

Club even planted a rue plant behind the goals to spook bad spirits. I'm dead fucking serious. After they did, they won one match lol

Colo Colo es Chile

My sweet summer child. Colo-Colo is not the oldest football team of Chile.

Football started (in Chile) in Valparaiso. "Valparaiso Football Club" was the first football team created in Chile, in 1889. Santiago Wanderers in 1892, Union Espanola in 1897, Magallanes 1897, Rangers de Talca 1902, Everton 1909.

---EDIT: I see now other have pointed this out----

But yeah, this is the first time this great team can go down to 2nd tier league. Probably will win it easily if it comes to that.

It is never easy to see your team playing the worst they can. It happen with my team in the 2011 finals (El mitico cotillon de la Cato por la chucha).

And for the user saying just cheer for another one, buddy...that is not how Football is experienced outside US.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
well, we had him as the head coach of the National Team here in Chile for three years.

Miss him everyday
As another Leeds fan, I am dreading the day Bielsa is no longer our head coach. We owe him so much.

Incidentally, his Chile team was the first time I'd really taken note of him as a coach. I think we just need to count ourselves lucky he ever graced our teams.

Dec 15, 2017
Yep. Independiente fan, been there. Any chance you can pull an 80s Boca and make the ANFP change the relegation rules?

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a Wolves fan, I used to think that it's better to be competitive in the second division than to be relegation fodder in the first.

Nowadays, I know that nothing beats coming back up and really competing.

OP
OP
emilioasis

emilioasis

Nov 1, 2017
Yep. Independiente fan, been there. Any chance you can pull an 80s Boca and make the ANFP change the relegation rules?

No. I mean, last year Universidad de Chile was in a similar position but the ANFP had to end the tournament abruptly because of the riots of October 2019 so the rules were changed that year. So, unless we burn the country to the ground again, Colo-Colo is gonna be relegated.

BTW, Colo-Colo is losing 0-2 against Curico right now. lol

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember Colo Colo being a strong side in the 80s/90s. Watched them beat a solid Boca Juniors side in Libertadores, if memory serves me correctly. As a River fan, it was glorious.

Also as a River fan, I've felt the pain of relegation which I never considered possible as a kid.

Oct 25, 2017
Alianza Lima (club Mario Salas also managed this year) just got relegated, doesn't bode well for Colo Colo.

Has any other manager been in 2 big clubs from different countries in the same season and both clubs ended up relegated?

Oct 25, 2017
So today Colo-Colo will be playing against Universidad de Concepción. Winner stays in Primera A, loser gets relegated. Who ya got? and how are you doing, OP?

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Saw that 'Win or We'll Kill You' that the Ultras put up at their training ground. That's..uh...certainly motivating.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
When I first got to travel outside the US and see a soccer match in England, Fulham became my team I supported over there. They got relegated the next season and I couldn't watch their games on TV anymore haha

Then Dempsey came and played for my US squad, the Sounders, which was rad as hell

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Just read the "win or we kill you" motivator. Football fanatics showing once again there's no group more crazy than them.

KingOfIceland

Oct 28, 2017
Iceland
My team Þór got relegated back in 2014 and we've been perennially 5th in the 2nd division since then. It's certainly not the end of the world and you'll probably win a lot more games there but if you get stuck there without any inkling of how to get back up that's really demoralizing.

We haven't got close to promotion in almost 7 years now, and it's really starting to wear on me.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Saw the dead threats and came here. People are crazy and this will not help the players at all.
My team has been playing like crap but we are still in the top 3-5 clubs in our league right now, I can't imagine how I would feel if they were being relegated.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Colo Colo must be thankful that UdeC must be the most cold blooded that I have seen in the year