• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

emilioasis

Nov 1, 2017
Colo-Colo, Chile´s biggest football club, is probably gonna be relegated this year. We are dead last, scrapping for points on every single game. I haven´t seen a worst version of this team in my lifetime.

But weirdly I'm not mad. The sum of terrible and awful decisions made by the "owners" this year are finally paying off in the worst way possible. It´s like I'm happy that every single bad decision is having a bad outcome. I know there´s not gonna be accountability, but as a fan I can tell them to fuck off forever and ever (Chile Football teams are owned mostly by private corporations since the 00's and that's whole other can of worms).

I should be sad. I should be mad. But I´m not. It's like I'm waiting to tell the owners "I Told You So!"

Maybe when Colo-Colo is finally relegated I'll cry like a baby. But I don't see that happening. At least not right now.

Did that ever happenned to you?

UPDATE: We did it. Holy shit. We did it. After a nerve wrecking final match Colo-Colo continues to be the only Chilean Team to not be relegated. What a year.

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
There's a weird acceptance when a team you support is deservedly relegated - when that happens it's usually after a season full of poor results, so fans have plenty of time to come to terms with the fact that the team is terrible compared to the competition. If a team has been going downhill for some time it might sometimes even mean long-needed changes have a chance to happen.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Only in this thread thanks to Ted Lasso.

GL to your team, maybe they'll be able to solve their issues if they are relegated.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
IybKO8i.jpg

I don't like football so i'll just post this, I always use it with my best friend who's a hardcore Colo-Colo fan.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
My team (Shamrock Rovers) have been relegated and nearly went kaput but they were saved by their fans. This season they became "invincible" league champions.

I can understand you are not mad. Acceptance comes quickly in football I think and hope springs a new with (hopefully) a fresh start.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I was bawling my eyes out when Man City scored against AFC Richmond to knock them out of the premier league. In the long run I know it'll just make their return next season more compelling.

Babyshaq90

Oct 28, 2017
Reading this reminded me when Chivas played them in the Libertadores back in 06. Had to look it up it's been a while lol..

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
At least you have memories of good times. I'm a Scottish Raith Rovers fan. We are a lower league side who like to spend our time yoyoing between leagues. We won the league last year with an assist from COVID so we will probably get relegated again this season (although currently third after a strong start). It's the way of life when you support your local team tbh. Makes the glory days all the sweeter.

It's still one of my favourite memories of all time watching Jurgen Klinnsman destroy our defence when we had a wee run in the UEFA Cup. It was otherworldly watching the wee team I went to see week in week out come up against one if the greatest Bayern teams of all time and actually give them a decent game to the point we took the lead in the away leg.

Oct 25, 2017
I think for some fans it becomes a relief, relegation escapes can be fun and all, and matches against the biggest teams, but when a whole season is just treading water and repeat humiliations it can be nice to have a reset on the horizon. But I hope your clubs shitty owners get the fuck out of there OP

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I wish North American pro sports had the relegation system. There'd be very welcome wake-up calls for franchises that have been stagnating for decades,

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
After years of bouncing along just above the relegation zone I think a lot of fans end up accepting relegation. Unfortunately I think there is a lot of wishful thinking involved, people often convince themselves that they'll regroup and bounce right back and that can be really tough. One of my friends when I was younger was a Leeds United supporter and he was convinced they'd come back up after being relegated in 2004, instead they got relegated again and only got back to the EPL after 16 years.

Nothere

Oct 26, 2017
My father is going through that right now, with his team playing on "Série B" ( Cruzeiro Futebol Clube, from Brasil, for sure OP knows it).
It breaks my heart to see it. I take it as two different things... first, his IDEA of the team and the concept for being a fan.... second, the team as an enterprise, not as an institution. Team owners are all about power and money... no different from regular politics. But die-hard fans have a hard time separating those two sides and they suffer badly from it...

.... i only wish my father still had those weekly matches to look up for during the pandemic... guess 2020 ain't having that.
<=0(

OP
OP
emilioasis

emilioasis

Nov 1, 2017
It means they go down into the second tier league. Imagine if an MLB team came in last they got sent to AAA and the winner of AAA got brought up to MLB.

worst part is, that I'm sure that if we are relegated, we are going to spend YEARS in the second tier league. I don´t expect a quick comeback

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
We? Do you own the team or play on the team? If not just cheer for another team.

It's ok to like different things.
I'm not sure how tongue in cheek you're being, but the notion of "just cheering for another team" in much of the world is a non-starter. Folks live and die by their clubs, hence the usage of "we."

Just picking a different team is a very North American concept, I feel.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Colo Colo is one of the oldest (95 years) and most popular club in Chile, never in the B-League. Going down is like, I don't know, something that no one ever believed it could happen, and it may happen folks.

Club even planted a rue plant behind the goals to spook bad spirits. I'm dead fucking serious. After they did, they won one match lol

Colo Colo es Chile

Last edited:

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how tongue in cheek you're being, but the notion of "just cheering for another team" in much of the world is a non-starter. Folks live and die by their clubs, hence the usage of "we."

Just picking a different team is a very North American concept, I feel.
Live and die?

You dying for your team. Like you literally dead.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Historic team? Terrible owners? Threats of relegation?

MY GOD THAT'S NEWCASTLE UNITED'S MUSIC!

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
People scoff at the use of "we" but it's normal tribal behaviour. People love their clubs. They pay for merchandise and to see games. They support the team beyond just cheering for them.
Especially if it's not one of the top clubs in any given country. Like if your family goes back generations as die-hard supporters of Leyton Orient or Auxerre, for example. Sometimes you'll win a big cup match and knock out a giant, and sometimes you'll get close to the top, but it's away trips to Morecambe most of the time.

Oct 27, 2017
We? Do you own the team or play on the team? If not just cheer for another team.

It's ok to like different things.
You are definitely not a sports fan. I've been a tortured fan of the Seattle Mariners since 1977 and would have it no other way. People that flit from team to team based on results are pathetic and feckless.
Having said that, I don't say "we" since I'm a fan and not a member of the team or its owner.

Last edited:

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
That's a fun name for a team.

Anyways OP, that's a good attitude to have, and relegation doesn't always spell out doom and could be seen as a good reason to clear out the muck if the heads of the team are smart enough.

River Plate got relegated and then came back and won the cup 2 years later.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
the world is upside down, even with regards to sports.
A lot of the greatest teams are the worst, and visa versa, this year...

It's weird and may need an *

My team is Barnsley, so at least I don't expect much.

Flanker358

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I don't know much about Chilean league, but Colo Colo is the only club I heard of. Hopefully this is a wake up call for the owners.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are definitely not a sports fan. I've been a tortured fan of the Seattle Mariners since 1977 and would have it no other way. People that flit from team to team based on results are pathetic and feckless.
Having said that, I don't say "we" since I'm a fan and not a member of the team or its owner.
"Through the end of the 2020 season, the franchise has finished with a losing record in 30 of 44 seasons."
Yeah that's totally not a waste of time and money.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Thats normal and a healthy relationship with a football club imo.

I feel this way about the Turkish club I support, and the Turkish league in general. Its quickly descending into absolute trash tier and I will not support the decisions my club and the league make until significant changes are made to the way things are operating....and it looks like none of that will happen until the league reaches rock bottom...

Deleted member 35740

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Only in this thread thanks to Ted Lasso.

GL to your team, maybe they'll be able to solve their issues if they are relegated.
The big clubs from Santiago don't deserve luck. It's about time karma did its thing with Colo Colo.

I hope they are relegated. As a fan from a team from outside the capital it's funny seeing this play out.

Deleted member 35740

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
"Through the end of the 2020 season, the franchise has finished with a losing record in 30 of 44 seasons."
Yeah that's totally not a waste of time and money.
Outside the US, a sports team is usually representative of the local population and culture from where it hails from. The team is almost a part of the fans cultural identify, it goes way beyond just sports... therefore, not a waste or time. Backing your local team it's just what you are supposed to do.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outside the US, a sports team is usually representative of the local population and culture from where it hails from. The team is almost a part of the fans cultural identify, it goes way beyond just sports... therefore, not a waste or time. Backing your local team it's just what you are supposed to do.
So if your team is shit. You have to give them money and support because . . . reasons?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
The day Corinthians was relegated I put my shirt on and went to the typical Sunday night shopping walk. I had never seen so many Corinthians shirts around.

In the end being relegated was actually good, we played and won the Série B in 2008 (runner up in the Brazilian Cup that year as well), in 2009 we signed Ronaldo (Il Fenomeno) and won the Brazilian Cup (2009) , we then won the Brasileirão (1st division) 3 times after that (2011, 2015, 2017) and the Libertadores (undefeated, 2012) and the Club World Cup (2012, against Chelsea, last time a non-European team won the competition).

We are currently playing like shit and sitting in one place above the relegation line so I am not really expecting much from our team...

petszk

Dec 20, 2019
Doesn't the Chilean league use a weighted average based on the last couple of seasons to determine relegation, rather than just finishing at the bottom of the table in a single season?

In that case, Colo-Colo is safe from relegation, as they're currently in 6th place out of 18 on the weighted table...

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
As someone who "hates" said club (despite having friends & family who are supporters):

nah, you're not going down. There are worse teams imho and you're just stuck in a rut at the moment. I'm not a betting man, but if I were... I'd say you're gonna be safe from the drop a couple of weeks before the end of the tournament.

And if, if, somehow the performances and results don't improve and you're still in the relegation zone, I think there's gonna be some last-day shenanigans just so your club avoids the drop by a miraculous single point :P

And if, if, somehow Colo Colo does end up relegated... hey, at least we're gonna have a clásico once again, for the first time in years! :P Cobreloa supporter here :P! Primera B fucking SUCKS and I fucking hate it but I hate even more how my club has been mismanaged for years. So, in a way, I feel your pain. And as a supporter from a rival team, I do feel your pain. It really hurts seeing the team you love in said situations

OP
OP
emilioasis

emilioasis

Nov 1, 2017
Doesn't the Chilean league use a weighted average based on the last couple of seasons to determine relegation, rather than just finishing at the bottom of the table in a single season?

In that case, Colo-Colo is safe from relegation, as they're currently in 6th place out of 18 on the weighted table...

The last team is relegated automatically. The second to last team has to define the 2nd relegation spot with the last team of the weighed table... Either way, we are in really bad spot

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Oh man they were second last year? I think a team consistently hovering around the relegation spots is more depressing than actually getting relegated, but that's a tough year-over-year change. Regardless, if the ownership is rotten I hope getting relegated would result in some changes and not just a freefall down the divisions

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
You get used to it when you support a team whose mediocre at best.

Yeah, it's totally different supporting a team that doesn't compete for championships or promotions and are just surviving month to month. My club's survived a couple of bankrupcies and relegation a number of times. But are in a much better place right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
The sports I watch don't have relegation, but I sometimes want the teams to do bad so that a coach or general manager will get fired (or so they'll get a better draft pick) so I kinda get it.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
I've only ever been in a situation like that myself once really, my team where close to relegation for much of the first half of the year and there was a points deduction possible if the club went into Administration too.

Thankfully for us we rebounded with a new manager, perhaps you can do the same? Your only four points off safety and you still have a game in hand so your certainly not down and out yet.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
My local side was in the second tier of the english leagues when I first started attending matches as a nipper. After that followed a rapid descent all the way to non-league(5th tier) where they stayed for 5 or 6 seasons. Now they're back into league football doomed to mid-table obscurity I honestly can say I enjoyed non-league games much more. At least in that tier we were fighting for promotion most seasons.

Mr Coopz

Jul 21, 2019
My local side was in the second tier of the english leagues when I first started attending matches as a nipper. After that followed a rapid descent all the way to non-league(5th tier) where they stayed for 5 or 6 seasons. Now they're back into league football doomed to mid-table obscurity I honestly can say I enjoyed non-league games much more. At least in that tier we were fighting for promotion most seasons.
Which team do you support if you don't mind me asking ? I'm trying real hard to think of a team in league 2 that's that's just come up recently that used to be in the second tier many years ago but it's escaping and annoying me as to who it is lol.

As to the thread, been a Leeds fan since I was little and first started going in 2006, up until Marcelo Bielsa our coach I've only ever known misery and disappointment bar a few memories.Getting told stories of past glory and success whilst I've had to suffer used to grate me but as time has passed you became used to it. The pain of it all eventually goes away and you accept where your club is until hopefully one day it changes like it did for Leeds 2 years ago and we're now finally back in the premier league.

Last edited:

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
It's still one of my favourite memories of all time watching Jurgen Klinnsman destroy our defence when we had a wee run in the UEFA Cup. It was otherworldly watching the wee team I went to see week in week out come up against one if the greatest Bayern teams of all time and actually give them a decent game to the point we took the lead in the away leg.

I'm not a Rovers fan but I still remember that tie.
O0By4w5T_o.jpg