• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

Link.

Colorado officials on Tuesday reported the first known case in the United States of a person infected with the mutation-laden coronavirus variant that has been circulating rapidly across much of the United Kingdom and has led to a lockdown of much of southern England.

The case involves a male in his 20s who is currently in isolation in Elbert County and has no travel history, according to a tweet from the office of Gov. Jared Polis.

While the variant appears to spread more easily, it does not make people sicker or more likely to die, scientists in the United Kingdom reported Tuesday. Nor is there any sign that people who were infected months ago with the coronavirus are more likely to be reinfected if exposed to the variant, according to the report, from Public Health England, a government agency.

Scientists also believe these mutations will not allow the virus to escape the immune response incited by vaccines. But it does appear to be more transmissible.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I can't believe someone who traveled from the Plaguelands to Plague Island and back spread a new form of the plague. (Edit: Oh huh, no travel history in their part.)

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Per the report, it's important to keep in mind that the variant is NOT deadlier and it's not any more resistant to the vaccine.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Fun. It's probably all over my state at this point then. Come on vaccine. Can't wait to get one.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
*sigh* im just staying locked up in home for the foreseeable future.
nnxFL4a.gif

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Good to have confirmation but it doesnt really mean anything. This variant is likely widespread throughout the country and has been for weeks.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Do the vaccines prevent people from getting this variant?

The vaccine producers are testing it against the new variant but they believe it's just as effective. No confirmation however.

And if I recall correctly, the vaccines prevent you from succumbing to covid-related symptoms, not from getting it (although I think that's another thing that they are trying to determine: whether it stops transmission)

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
If he's got no travel history then it obviously raises the question of how far spread it already is

Good to have confirmation but it doesnt really mean anything. This variant is likely widespread throughout the country and has been for weeks.

The article mentions it as well:

The appearance of the variant in the United States is not a surprise; officials have been signaling since last week that it was likely already present, but simply undetected.

"I'm not surprised," Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Tuesday. "I think we have to keep an eye on it, and we have to take it seriously. We obviously take any kind of mutation that might have a functional significance seriously. But I don't think we know enough about it to make any definitive statements, except to follow it carefully and study it carefully."

This variant is definitely in other states.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unsurprising. Likely that shit has been here a while. Think it we had a problem with spread before? Shit is going to get way worse.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
The US was doing a pathetic amount of sequencing. This variant is absolutely widespread in the states.

It may not be "more deadly" but by it being more transmissible more people will die.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So when they say it is more transmissible, how exactly? Does it have greater surface retention? Are masks not as effective?

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
So when they say it is more transmissible, how exactly? Does it have greater surface retention? Are masks not as effective?
Epidemiologically, this variant is overtaking other variants at a rate that means increase in transmission. In PCR tests, the variant is amplifying 4 plus cycles quicker (meaning viral loads are 10-100 times other variants)!!!! People infected with the variant are likely spewing far more infectious viral particles than the other variants.

If viral loads are that much higher, I am not going to stake anything worthwhile that there isn't an increase in severity, duration, or immune response. Preliminary data suggests there isn't but substantial difference in viral loads is really worrisome.

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
Per the report, it's important to keep in mind that the variant is NOT deadlier and it's not any more resistant to the vaccine.

It is way more infectious tho, which makes it way harder to stop spreading vs the older one, not that it matters in the US I guess. But in some other countries that variant taking over might make getting out of lockdowns harder.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do we know how this spreads more rapidly? Is it just more effective, or can it infect in new ways? Do the actual symptoms differ?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada already has 6 confirmed cases so I'm guessing you guys must have 6 million since y'all don't have any restrictions on travel.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know how this spreads more rapidly? Is it just more effective, or can it infect in new ways? Do the actual symptoms differ?
More contagious basically. It's COVID with a larger spread area.

Vaccines work just as well as the original strain.

But the supposed wave of death is coming and it's gonna fucking hit us hard. Vaccines are still getting rolled out.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Can you get infected with this strain if you already had COVID within the past couple months? Still not going to take any risks, I've been pretty good with staying inside besides groceries and going for the occasional walk in the woods behind my house.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if any scientists have theorised how many infections it will take for the virus to mutate to a form resistant to currently available vaccines.

It feels like too many Western countries are playing chicken with Covid-19.