• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I used to be able to play video games for 8+ hours straight without eating, drinking or using the bathroom.

Now my hands cramp, my back hurts and there's no way I could go that long without eating, drinking and especially using the bathroom.

I actually tried when Smash Ultimate came out, but my back just wasn't going to let me.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
41. Had a string of random medical issues out of nowhere at that age and was the first time I didn't feel "invincible", in a manner of speaking, any more.
im not so far off from that age myself, care to enlighten us of these random maladies? not putting you on the spot, ignore if sharing too much. just curious what i got in front of me.

edit: oh and for myself, once i hit 30ish 10lbs got added to my belly and love handles, and they refuse to leave.

edit: going through the latest posts and im reminded of my acid reflux, various random transitory pains, and my knees that give out after hiking just 6 miles and biking 15.

Last edited:

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be 38 at the end of this month and I think my metabolism has finally reached it's limit.

I've always been fit and generally been able to eat and do whatever I want...but the dad bod is creeping up on me much sooner than I anticipated lol

I'm still spry but man literally everything goes to my belly. I told my wife it's time to start a diet for the first time in my life.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
At 29 I got some weird pinched nerve or pulled muscle literally just showering while scrubbing my hair, it was fucking strange. I always assumed my first random pains would come from fucking up at the gym or something or snowboarding from my injury to my knee some years back.

I've had another one of the same since at 31, that time it was literally getting out of bed and pulled something in my neck. It basically feels like when you sleep wrong and can't turn a certain way but it lasts like two weeks.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Since 3rd grade, IBS, that's had me with a severe depression since childhood all through 25 years.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
I've been more or less alright overall (*knock on wood*) at 33. Mainly:
  • Acid reflux
  • More Doctor visits due to minor issues here and there.
  • Realized I've lived and dealt with anxiety my whole life, finally getting that fixed.
I've always had a back and forth weight, so that's not new, and I still do light workouts 3-4 days a week. I can't quite stay up as well as I used to, but on weekends I usually make it to 2AM. Weeknights is 11 because I am up at 545.

Note to those in here, do yoga. Seriously.

Ruddles

Oct 17, 2018
I'll add my voice to the "turned 40, everything went to shit in a matter of months" chorus.

In the space of a year I picked up a dodgy prostate (currently not causing me trouble, thank God), a couple of months after that I wrecked my ankle (tore the peroneal tendon), and about six months after that I was diagnosed with Graves Disease, a moderately unpleasant auto-immune disorder that makes my eyes bulge out of their sockets and gives me constant shakes/ tachycardia. Thankfully it's fully controlled by medication.

Right now I'm actually feeling pretty healthy, but I'm under no illusions, my body and I are just co-habitants in the same space, we're not exactly what you'd call best buddies.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
28, stiffness all over without 20 minute stretch sessions a few times per week. I used to not workout and stay in great shape, now if I go a month I gain 20 lbs

ThePsydeFX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Came home from watching Force Awakens opening weekend and pop in my MI:Rogue Nation Blu-ray. Go to step in the bathroom and POP... torn meniscus. A couple months of discomfort later I step out of my skid steer and POP... there goes my other knee.

Oct 27, 2017
33 and still snowboarding 100+ days a year with 24 year olds.

Knees, back, hips. All fucked, always hurt, never going to get better only worse.

I can still drink a fair bit and stay up late though 🥳🤘

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
My knees started fucking up at like 24... I felt fantastic in every way before then. Used to ride my bike all over every day, hike, etc. Sucks.

AngryPuppy

Oct 27, 2017
All the usual hang-over / late night problems that have been mentioned many times over. Additionally I slipped and fell five weeks ago and broke my hip.

I'm 33.

Everyone else in the hospital with the same injury had at least four decades on me. Every doctor I've spoke to keeps asking me how it happened because a fall from standing height at this age isn't meant to do that kind of damage without some underlying bone brittleness, which they've tested me for. To be fair it was a pretty spectacular fall, right foot went out from under me while turning a corner and I was probably horizontal in the air about waist height before coming down on it.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
Age 18, when my appendix decided it was tired of being in one piece. I had a stomach ache for 5 days - which sounds alarming but I've always had a sensitive stomach so it wasn't all that weird to me... figured I'd just eaten something my stomach particularly hated that week - before my roommate found me lying on the sofa and told me I really looked like shit, and drove me to the campus doctor. Acute appendicitis; doc told me it was literally about to rupture and I needed to go to the emergency room right away. Thankfully I was in surgery that night and they removed it before it actually burst.

What a stupid fucking organ.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
I'm 29. I'm starting to have minor aches and my back gets more sore than it did while I was younger after coming in from work.

One thing that's really worrying me is a throbbing pain on the left side of my body. I've considered going home early but the pain comes and goes. I think it has something to do with something I'm eating buy I cant track down what it is.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
After having several kids, I'm realizing how quickly they can bend down/get up. It takes me seconds to bend down to sit on the floor with them, then several seconds to get back up. Seems minor, but it's just weird to realize how much longer it takes
Me: I'll hit this last set on the deadlifts and call it, got some stuff to do

My Back: *pinch*

A year later and I still couldn't pull what I wanted. Taking it super, duper slow, but I'm really skeptical that I'll ever hit the number I want to hit.
Yep, basically what happened to me at the gym. I realized I have to give up my dream of becoming a massive weightlifter and focus on fat reduction and definition.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Nothing bad yet. Id wake up with the worst pain I ever felt in my achilles and/or calves (like someone was slowly tearing my leg off) my first few years of college but that stopped as inexplicably as it started. When I was a teenager I had bad headaches every day for about 2 years but I got used to it. One day I just noticed I hadnt had one in a while and it never came back. I think that it was just something due to puberty.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
im not so far off from that age myself, care to enlighten us of these random maladies? not putting you on the spot, ignore if sharing too much. just curious what i got in front of me.

edit: oh and for myself, once i hit 30ish 10lbs got added to my belly and love handles, and they refuse to leave.

edit: going through the latest posts and im reminded of my acid reflux, various random transitory pains, and my knees that give out after hiking just 6 miles and biking 15.

Haha, nah, it's cool, BUT since it was early and I just woke up when I posted that going to have to amend the mostly random part on my medical issues. This one isn't random, and was on me, but had back pains (which put me through almost a years worth of MRI's, X-Rays, acupuncture, physical therapy, etc.) lifting something that at a younger age never would have given me pause.
I'm fairly active physically. I run, go to the gym, and do martial arts twice a week, but started noticing a significant lack of endurance across the board in all of those. And started having all of the exact symptoms of a heart attack - left arm going numb, shortness of breath, dizziness, severe chest pain, etc. Enough to put me into the hospital and go through a battery of tests. Twice. (They didn't find anything).
Noticed significantly more hair loss. My metabolism used to be ridiculously great - I'm a pretty thin guy, and never had to really worry about what I eat. Not anymore! At 41 my stomach and belly have ballooned out into a nice beer gut. Have never had that in my life and had always been trying to gain weight not the other way around.
My allergies have gotten way worse(could also be the environment though), wrinkles across my face more noticeable, and more graying hair than ever.
Like it literally seems that all of this shit just dumped on me at 41. It's nuts.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
back pain from sitting at the desk too long

10 years ago I had 12 hour WoW raids and played before and after aswell with no issues

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
At 33 my response to food has changed. Shit food leads to me being physically sick.

Sugar hangovers are real.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Right ear decided to basically go deaf, only got about 20% of hearing back (60db or greater) with really bad speech discrepancy. Oh and non-stop tinnitus for the past 9 years.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
For 29 years I ate junk food in insane quantities with no visible repercussions whatsoever, I even had a nice set of abs without ever exercising.
And then I hit 30...

Also, my back hurts.
Also, I can't drink alcohol anymore.

The good news is, at age 33 I'm getting close to looking like 29 again. But it's been a long road, lol.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Definitely the metabolism thing at 30 and then again and onward.
Workout threads are hilarious when advice comes up like " bro you should easily be able to eat 2500-3000 cals a day so long as you lift " . Yeah that's a no dawg.

Oct 27, 2017
Developed an auto-immune disorder when I was 16 called ITP which is when you body destroys your own blood platelets thinking that they are foreign. Eventually after treatment for 5 or 6 years, it eventually went away. Then I got cancer(hodgkins lymphoma) in 2012 and I kicked its ass as well. Now my right knee is starting to go and I'm getting high blood pressure :/

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
Ruptured my achilles like 5th game of basketball season back from a few year break.

One of the worst things ive ever gone through, mainly the recovery and not being able to drive/walk etc.

Also now ill never jump as high or be as fast as a pretty much fact. Im 36 but thought i was 26 still!

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Prone to random bouts of periodic paralysis, happens less than annually but when it does i can't walk, i can barely raise a smile without it quivering. I'm 28 and that started five years back.

Mainly i just need to quit smoking. Weed was easy. Nicotine is a nightmare.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It's been against me since the day I was born. I've always had some kind of medical issues.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Couple weeks ago I tweaked my back while stepping out of my car. Hasn't been the same since and I have trouble bending over for any period of time.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The last year I've had an increasing issue with digestion stuff, to the point where in the fall I was missing class due to constant needs to use the bathroom and being unable to leave my apartment.

Got a GI referral, got a colonoscopy, bunch of other tests. Meanwhile it's winter/spring. Doing basic things like moving my car for plows became a nightmare if it was during a flair up, sweating and cramping in my car praying that I could park and go back to the bathroom. Missed days and days of classes, worst being right before midterms when a flair up lasted an entire week.

Ended up getting diagnosed with IBS-D, had to drop half my classes last semester, including my only summer class this last month because new meds basically caused insane issues on the opposite end of spectrum. I was so desperate for real solutions, that I was really praying for something to be wrong with me on some physical basis, just because getting an IBS diagnosis is just getting told "well, you're kinda fucked" if you go through the usual meds / FODMAP and nothing works.

Quality of life last spring was the worst I've ever had, really low moments. Hopefully my new meds and dosage work and I can start living like a normal person again. Hard to explain to people that you cant really go out because you're stuck in your apartment suddenly spending hours and hours in the bathroom.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Biggest one I can think of:

Basic Military Training, after sleep deprivation, with Military Training Intructors walking around the room watching us like hawks, and knowing full well the repercussions of getting caught, the last thing you would ever want to do is fall asleep. And yet, despite knowing all that and not even *wanting* to fall asleep, I found my self so ridiculously exhausted that every time I blinked my eyes it was 50/50 whether they would open again. Full on body betrayal.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
In my late 20s about 4-5 years ago was helping my mom move to her new place and about an hour into the process my lower back just gave the fuck out and it was a struggle to help her. Ever since my lower back hasn't been the same. Most days are just fine. But some if I sleep wrong or have to lift heavy things I feel the strain and have to take some Tylenol.

Oct 25, 2017
Used to have beautiful skin, people would specifically comment on it. Then at 21 I got eczema on my neck especially. 22 I started balding (though I managed to stop it with rogaine).

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
On December 14th I was outside shoveling. After I finished the job I slipped and fell in the driveway, dislocating my shoulder and fracturing my ball joint. I could hardly get myself up but somehow managed to drag myself into the house and call for help on the phone (while drifting in and out of pain). Since then, I healed up well but things still haven't been 100%. Turning 30 this month.

It's the first time I haven't felt super youthful and the discomfort has lingered for a long time.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Had some kind of non-acute lower back injury from deadlifting. Felt no pain while doing my lifting workout, even did cardio afterwards and drove home. Within about half an hour of being home started feeling soreness in my lower back and by the next morning I could barely sit up or walk and had horrible pain, and it all lasted about two weeks. Never could get into the doctor and it eventually subsided though it returns in a very minor way if I lay on my side in the wrong fashion.

I probably should get an x-ray or see an orthopedist to make sure I've got nothing else going on. Ever since I turned about 37 I get the most random soreness and strained muscles.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One hair on each of my eyebrows think its an actual hair and grows long as fuck until I remove it.

Then they both come back, motherfuckers.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
At this point 3 strong cocktails = hangover.

Too much spice = upset stomach.

Getting old sucks.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I was 14 when I had my first panic attack if that counts.

Or when I was diagnosed with a colon condition at age 7.

Otherwise, probably 29 when I realized that I could no longer go to bed after midnight without feeling like I'd drop dead at any moment without 8 hours of sleep.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Used to be a maniac at punk shows in my early 20s. Dancing and moshing along with stage dives and front flips off the stage. Now I get tired after dancing for half a set.

Also I used to get home from shows at 4-5am and work at 8 in the morning. Now if I get home past 2 i'm fucked for the next day

Oct 28, 2017
Since turning 40, things like tennis elbow and constant small niggle injuries from lifting weights. It makes things harder and more painful, especially afterwards. Things I don't remember having in my 20's and 30's - but then I didn't take the exercise as seriously then. Getting older is a challenge at times.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 33 and I suppose I don't have the best stamina when I okay sports, but honestly, I never did.

Held up pretty well so far. I'm sure some shit'll go wrong soon, though.

Edit: Actually I started losing my hair at 24. Got a hair transplant though and it's bonkers good so whatever.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Like most people, being able to drink like a fish then BAM it hits you. That shit catches up with you.

Apoplectoad

Mar 15, 2019
I got a tiny cut on my ankle and then my body decided to flag my nerve that runs from my foot to my spine as a foreign body and has been trying to destroy it for years...I'm 29 and have to use a cane, probably for the rest of my life.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never.
But I did start having to get up and pee in the middle of the night around 35.