• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

www.eurogamer.net

Here's the very first trailer for Stalker 2

UPDATE 24TH JULY: The trailer is a target render and not actual footage taken from the game. "The trailer demonstrates …

UPDATE 24TH JULY: The trailer is a target render and not actual footage taken from the game. "The trailer demonstrates the level of graphics and atmosphere we are aiming to achieve on release," GSC Game World confirmed in a FAQ shared on Twitter.

FJimbonda

Oct 29, 2017
God damn it. I thought it'll come sooner.

No 1$ game pass subscription yet then. Maybe in 2023

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Stalker 2 started production in 2019...so yes.

They were "aiming for 2021" back then and still looking for a team to join the development.

so, release in 2027.

i´ve said it yesterday and i will say it again, people shouldn´t get their hopes up about this one, there are no original Stalker devs at GSC gameworld anymore and they have a track record of excessive dev times and overpromising things.

But the trailer looked in-game and was the most exciting for me:(.

giphy.gif

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
God damn it. I thought it'll come sooner.

No 1$ game pass subscription yet then. Maybe in 2023

I think you can re-do it as long as you let it expire first

either way

WHAT THE FUCK, how much did they show today was CGI, render target or "in engine"

either way, please dear god hit that atmosphere. It looked like a hell of a design.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
They also said "the trailer is in-engine. Actual game models were used to create the trailer".

This article really doesn't get that point across...

Oct 27, 2017
I think people will be in for a harsh awakening when many games will look more like Halo Infinite than all the CGI trailers the developers want to sell as "in-engine".

Raigor

May 14, 2020
www.pcgamesn.com

STALKER 2 was only announced so the devs could find a publisher

Update, May 29: Turns out that STALKER 2 announcement might have been a bit premature.STALKER 2 might be set for a release in 2021, but it’s yet to actually secure a publisher. According to Epic Games’s director of publishing Sergey Galyonkin (who you may also know as the founder of SteamSpy), t

This was back in 2018.

lol everything is CGI >_>

That's not CGI quality, it's rendered with UE4.
The trailer is not that high quality to be CGI, just look at low res trees

Raigor

May 14, 2020
might as well be CGI. This in-engine thing is the new BS

That's not the same thing and we had in-engine trailers for years.

There's a big difference between CGI and in-engine.

Explained by CA here
forums.totalwar.com

CA COMMUNITY

Official hub for Creative Assembly games. Interact with fellow gamers, learn about the latest features and earn your CA badges!

'In-engine Cinematic'
The video uses Development in Progress in-game assets and code as a basis for a video shot with cinematic camera techniques to create movie-like footage. This is representative of the themes and general look and feel of the game, but it is not the direct in-game experience you will get when you are physically playing the final game.

'In-game Cinematic'
This is the same as an 'In-engine Cinematic' except you can expect to see the vast majority (if not all) of the footage appear in the final game as an in-game movie, such as a intro or win movie for example.

'Cinematic Trailer'
This is a video that doesn't use the game engine to produce its visuals. They might use some game assets like models and audio to contribute to the making of them, but for the avoidance of doubt, please assume that nothing you are seeing is from the game itself. These are typically CGI or Live Action trailers and videos, and will be otherwise very apparent.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to claim I know more than anyone, but I'm pretty sure the trailer was showing environments they made for the game but in-engine and not real time in the game. It seemed pretty much like what it was to me, which isn't bad and I think the right thing to focus on with the game definitely still in heavy work as part of STALKERs big appeal is its environments and aesthetic.

Metfanant

Oct 27, 2017

Explained by CA here
forums.totalwar.com

CA COMMUNITY

Official hub for Creative Assembly games. Interact with fellow gamers, learn about the latest features and earn your CA badges!

They said it's a "target render" and what they are "aiming to achieve"

Saying it's "in engine" is completely irrelevant...I can run "in engine" assets on a PC with a 2080ti, turn it into a trailer and then try to sell you the game for the OG Xbox One...it ain't gonna look anything like it...

Since it's a "target render, that means RIGHT NOW...they've got nothing to show you running on an XSX that looks anything like that....so yeah, it might as well have been CGI

Raigor

May 14, 2020
They said it's a "target render" and what they are "aiming to achieve"

Saying it's "in engine" is completely irrelevant...I can run "in engine" assets on a PC with a 2080ti, turn it into a trailer and then try to sell you the game for the OG Xbox One...it ain't gonna look anything like it...

Since it's a "target render, that means RIGHT NOW...they've got nothing to show you running on an XSX that looks anything like that....so yeah, it might as well have been CGI

But it's not CGI, "saying might as well be CGI" when the trailer does not look like something from CGI makes no sense.
Go watch the trailer and tell me where do you see the CGI out there, because nothing out there looks like CGI, on the contrary.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to stop doing this. If you don't have a game to show then just fucking wait until the next event. The game is early in development and already getting a bad rep because of this.

Metfanant

Oct 27, 2017
But it's not CGI, "saying might as well be CGI" when the trailer does not look like something from CGI makes no sense.
Go watch the trailer and tell me where do you see the CGI out there, because nothing out there looks like CGI, on the contrary.
First of all...CGI literally means images created with a computer, we come to talk about it in the gaming world as completely pre-rendered bullshots that have little or nothing to do with the game.

You're trying too hard to play at semantics. The point is. It's a target render...they are literally saying

"We've got nothing to show you, so this is what we hope our game looks like when it comes out"

It doesn't matter if that video is rendered in Unreal 4 on some random PC...or if it's Pixar's latest short...it might as well be CGI because it sure isn't running real time on an XSX

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's hard to get excited about it when all the major talent that made the original game left years ago, but hopefully it all turns out well.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Animations were way too smooth, specially from that creature inside the tube

Looked a lot like those Atomic Heart trailers

To me it was obviously not ingame, but got me excited nonetheless, because Stalker

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
How do you deflate this baloon even more? :\...
This was one one of the few anouncements that got me interested.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Explained by CA here
forums.totalwar.com

CA COMMUNITY

Very rarely(maybe never) is an in engine trailer ever representative of the general look and feel of a game. Its basically what their engine is capable of if there is no concern for real time rendering. It's pretty accurate to just consider it CGI.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Explained by CA here
forums.totalwar.com

CA COMMUNITY

With modern game engines, there really is no difference with CGI or in-engine. The difference will come based on the scope and what you present to be actually achievable. A target render is one such thing.
However, rarely is a target render what the game ends up looking like. It usually will see a downgrade.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Yes it's UE4. It has been known for quite some time. I am surprised they didn't use Metro engine, or tis this anotehr company who is in charge of the sequel?

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not going to claim I know more than anyone, but I'm pretty sure the trailer was showing environments they made for the game but in-engine and not real time in the game. It seemed pretty much like what it was to me, which isn't bad and I think the right thing to focus on with the game definitely still in heavy work as part of STALKERs big appeal is its environments and aesthetic.

Thank you for being a voice of reason here.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I think the point is that it's misleading. I would even argue that CGI is better than target renders since it's obvious even among the untrained that it's not representative. Most people (including me) don't even accept "in-engine" trailers because it's one thing to create a render with controlled parameters and another thing to make it into gameplay.

Look, maybe in the end the game does end up looking like the target render or even better because the developers are great but, when talking about promotional material things shouldn't be left on the developer's good will.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
In engine doesn't mean all that much, nor is just using UE since that is being used now to make television effects. I expect the game to look impressive, but nothing much about the graphics can be infered if it is a target render. The style obviously can be tough.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then they better get close to that target render when they finish.
At least it was clarified now.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Three years would be a quick turn around. I dunno, it's hard to get up in arms as I foresee delays everywhere because of COVID-19.