• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
As well as those you've mentioned, set and costume design, minatures and location filming, plus the huge marketing blitz that is expected to start in Summer.
There was a rumour that Russell Crowe is to be involved in season one, so that could account for some of that money.
Even with all of that stuff 65m and episode would be completely insane. They aren't paying Crowe 40m an episode for season 1 of a show.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
There's some funky currency rates and whether or not the $200m for the rights in included. I don't buy it. I know this will be the most espensive show ever, though.

Amazon, Netflix, Apple, all these guys are getting FLEECED by old Hollywood studios and production companies. They are all throwing big money and people are here to lap it up. A regular studio would never spend the same money (and they would get the same product at the end cause they know the game lol$. Good for them.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
The rights are less a big deal when you understand it's going to be at least 5 seasons long.

So the $450 million for the first season is basically what Netflix paid for two Knives Out movies.

I'd rather have a LOTR TV show than two Knives Out movies if I were a streamer.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Man I have a hard time believing that figure is real. Even if they all come out and say it with receipts

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's a good product with good writing and acting.

The original film trilogy was a lightning in a bottle moment, I fear.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So they're paying this level of cash in the hope of getting something maybe 75% as popular as Game of Thrones?

Imagine you're HBO and you had what all these companies were chasing and you let it be badly damaged because two guys didn't want to properly finish the story.

Also lol at people who said $10-$15 million/episode for GoT was insane. Any streaming service would gladly pay 2x that if they could have a show that was as popular at its peak.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
How do people in NZ feel about dishing out $100 mil of taxpayer money for this?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Where does it say that the $650M figure doesn't include the $250M spent on the rights? The link just has a minister of Tourism and Economic Development talking up how big the production is going to be for New Zealand; he doesn't say that figure doesn't include the money for the rights and I'm not sure he's necessarily up on the finer details of what that budget figure includes and doesn't include. And Amazon's goal is to get as large a percentage a subsidy for the project as possible, so they're going to include absolutely everything they can in the production budget for season 1. I'd wager the $250M for the rights is included in that $650M figure.

That's still $40-50M an episode, not including the initial rights, which is wild.

But in case of those movies, the budget already included marketing, right? Production only would be half of that.
Infinity War and Endgame had a lot of hugely expensive actors whose initial Marvel contracts had long since expired. Downey and Evans made huge sums on the films. The two films cost well more than $250M per film.

Including marketing the budget for the two films would have been significantly higher than a billion dollars.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least the CGI is going to look amazing with that kind of budget. I don't see how they are going to make it back. I get that they are trying to find their place in an already saturated streaming market, but it feels that it would have been better to split it in a couple of series.

This show leans much harder on practical effects than CGI.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely bonkers. If this doesn't make GoT look like some history channel show then they're doing something wrong

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't see how this is going to be profitable with costs like that.

Show will run for years/decades on Amazon as a marquee title.

It's basically the production cost of three blockbuster 2 hour movies, but this likely will help Amazon's streaming service a lot more than like three "6 Underground" type movies that Netflix paid $150 million for (the Michael Bay/Ryan Reynolds film).

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to assume that the ensuing seasons will be cheaper. This one had most of the major set pieces and stages being created and they'll be reused in the future.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean if the original films weren't all practical I don't expect this to be either so I presume it's a high cost for how many hours in a series they will be producing. Still, one hell of a gamble and those rights cost, oof.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Well...if the pressure wasn't there before to get it right, it's on now.

I really hope they can capture the same energy as the LOTR trilogy at the very least, that's all I ask.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, why are NZ paying 100m? Don't Amazon want to film there?
There are cheaper places that the show could be filmed (Eastern Europe), and New Zealand is pretty desperate to keep their status as Land of LOTR. Peter Jackson was already considering moving The Hobbit somewhere else before New Zealand bent over for them as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
There are cheaper places that the show could be filmed (Eastern Europe), and New Zealand is pretty desperate to keep their status as Land of LOTR. Peter Jackson was already considering moving The Hobbit somewhere else before New Zealand bent over for them as well.
Indeed. Scotland was in the running before Amazon opted for New Zealand.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Are they growing Orcs in test tubes for this or some shit? thats insanity for a single season. Though im guessing theyre hoping that. alot of what they build for this can be reused in future seasons, but even then... wow.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Are they growing Orcs in test tubes for this or some shit? thats insanity for a single season. Though im guessing theyre hoping that. alot of what they build for this can be reused in future seasons, but even then... wow.
Nazanin Boniadi tweeted a while ago about finishing up a shoot on a vast flooded water set, so that could indicate that they've filmed more than just events from season one.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That's genuinely an absurd amount of money for one series and a cast of mostly mid scale actors

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018

How much money is NZ projected to make back from this? I know when sports games or big events go to a city, the city makes some money back from tourists and the like. But this is a film production. What I'd imagine is a closed film production.

Are a lot of people going to want to travel to NZ to see where they filmed this? Did a lot of fans go after the LOTR movies came out?

I'm just trying to translate this into a tangible return for them besides notoriety because 100M isn't a small chunk of change.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
How much money is NZ projected to make back from this? I know when sports games or big events go to a city, the city makes some money back from tourists and the like. But this is a film production. What I'd imagine is a closed film production.

Are a lot of people going to want to travel to NZ to see where they filmed this? Did a lot of fans go after the LOTR movies came out?

I'm just trying to translate this into a tangible return for them besides notoriety because 100M isn't a small chunk of change.
LotR tourism is decently big yeah.

Feb 16, 2018
i liked the movies. looking forward to this

let's hope they spend more than 0.01% of that on writing

so many huge-budget productions just have nothing interesting going on in terms of plot / planning / story, just making it up as they go along. relative to the amount of money they spend, it's embarrassing

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
In depth details about the deal:

Stuff

"Documents seen by Stuff said the production could film five seasons in New Zealand as well as a spin-off series over the next decade. While it would undoubtedly deliver economic benefits, a production of that length would have the Government on the hook for many hundreds of millions of dollars. Amazon has been approached for comment."

www.stuff.co.nz

Amazon may be on the way to New Zealand, as Government signs subsidy deal

Officials have inked a deal worth hundreds of millions of dollars and the promise of closer ties with - and potential investment from - the world's biggest retailer.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
If we aren't already experiencing it already, we are seriously entering the golden age of movie level production tv series.

Jan 31, 2018
Are they building their own Middle Earth and creating a historically accurate race of Elves, Dwarves and Orcs? Because that's ridiculous. It's probably just being laundered somewhere.