• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AC next gen setting

• Feudal Japan

Votes: 231 20.6%
  • Imperial Rome

Votes: 182 16.2%
  • China

Votes: 306 27.3%
  • Another setting

Votes: 402 35.9%

• Total voters

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed: Conquest.

Going back a bit to the "one big city" approach of the earlier games in eth series, set in the Aztec city of Tenochtitlan as the Spanish invade. Cortes is a Templar interested in the city because he believes a Piece of Eden is hidden inside a temple. The player, as an Aztec assassin, must stop him before he obtains it.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Who here does NOT want an AC game set in Feudal Japan?
*raises hand

**raises other hand

Yeah, I don't want one. I used to, but GoT did it so well from a gameplay perspective(AI is a different story) that I would almost certainly be disappointed unless Ubisoft just competently cribs their gameplay(which based on all evidence they would be unsuccessful at doing).

I'd prefer China, India, Russia, ancient cultures that get very little play. Hell, I would be cool if they just came up with some hogwash inter-dimensional theory and started creating entirely fantasy-based settings or alt-history(like if Carthage had conquered Rome and became the pre-eminent power, exploring what a world like that might be like), that build their own lore and such. They play so loose with history as it is that they might as well just embrace it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You may be up to something here...

Not only Mexico, all of Central and South America as well could provide different settings/areas, while still being under a narrow scope/timeline umbrella.

Mexico is North America :P

I think that having these amazing ancient civilisations but with the backdrop of the Europeans invading is very much along the lines of the classic AC games. Somewhere between the original game and Origins/Odyssey.

Also so much scope for beautiful colourful ancient temples and stuff that don't exist anymore.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
*raises hand

**raises other hand

Yeah, I don't want one. I used to, but GoT did it so well from a gameplay perspective(AI is a different story) that I would almost certainly be disappointed unless Ubisoft just competently cribs their gameplay(which based on all evidence they would be unsuccessful at doing).

I'd prefer China, India, Russia, ancient cultures that get very little play. Hell, I would be cool if they just came up with some hogwash inter-dimensional theory and started creating entirely fantasy-based settings or alt-history(like if Carthage had conquered Rome and became the pre-eminent power, exploring what a world like that might be like), that build their own lore and such. They play so loose with history as it is that they might as well just embrace it.
THANK YOU!

I don't feel like the only one anymore!

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
Why would you want this when GoT exists?

There are so many other interesting settings to explore. Mesoamerican societies, Russian revolution, India during Britain's colonialism, Neo-Babylonia during the captivity of the Jewish people, Iberia during the muslim conquest, so many different time periods in Africa...

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
I'm probably in the minority but I always wanted a AC set in modern times, or maybe in the future or in that alien civilization the appears on Revelations (that last part may have been a fever dream I played that game a long ass time ago, but I'm pretty sure that was some kind of advanced civilization in the lore)

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm probably in the minority but I always wanted a AC set in modern times, or maybe in the future or in that alien civilization the appears on Revelations (that last part may have been a fever dream I played that game a long ass time ago, but I'm pretty sure that was some kind of advanced civilization in the lore)
Isn't Watch Dogs basically their answer to that?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely prefer China to Japan as, as many have said Ghost has filled that void and we will get another Ghost game most likely.

Edit: I also want just a massive city more than a big open world regardless of location, not that Origins and especially Odyssey didn't have some big cities, they just aren't the same really as when it's just a big massive city.

Last edited:

Zugma

Oct 27, 2017
While I wouldn't be disappointed to see them take a crack at the setting, I think there are better time periods or locations they could use -- Ones that haven't really been given attention in games before. With GoT having just released (along with other games set in Japan) recently, I think that AC should begin to look elsewhere. GoT is likely to receive a sequel as well, so there's no need for two large open world games set in similar time periods. I would love to see AC tackle a location and time period that no one has done in games before (or has seldom been done), with their next entry

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. They missed their chance. Plenty of other places that haven't been covered by video games.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Imperial Rome is still the one I'm waiting on, but I'll trust whatever else they do.

Edit: Hmm. After reading some posts, India would be next on my list. The setting and scale would be great. There are also a lot of mythical elements that they could use.

Last edited:

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
AC Odyssey/modern day AC spoilers:
I think they should follow Cassandra in modern times. That was a pretty cool reveal when she showed up and gave the staff of Hermes to the modern day assassin woman, it would be fun to play with an existing character in a new time line. Have her and Evie Frye meet during WW1 or something

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd still like to see a Japan game for the series, even with GoT now being a thing, but as I've seen others mention I'd still really like to see Ubi revisit the settings in the side scrolling games in China, India, and Russia. Give me actual open world experiences with them.

Also, I can't stop thinking and wondering about a game set in the Wild West. It'd inevitability be compared to Red Dead, but I don't know the idea of an AC game set in the Wild West just really intrigues me.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Nah don't want Japan.
Imperial Rome would be so sick. I'd like to see it purely focused on that one city, and be a real leap-frog in terms of advancing the games scope/mechanics. I like the new game format but for Rome I'd like to see it be more personal/stealthy.

For a next-gen game in the style of Odyssey, Valhalla and Origins I'd love to see early Nazi invasion of Europe. You play a German double-agent who goes around the reich sabotaging their nazi shit. Cities would include Paris and Berlin, and open-world sections across France, Germany, Austria and Poland would also be available. The french resistance has strong ties to the assassins order, and helps provide intelligence on senior reich officials and activites.

I had similar thoughts about WW2.

Saboteur withing the third reich. Perhaps a good setting would a campaign against the v2 program.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Unless they can top Tshumima then no - they should look at another setting. Tsushima pretty much gave me everything I needed.

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
Isn't Watch Dogs basically their answer to that?
Maybe it is, but I want some melee, parkour Ac action on present day not a 3rd person shooter.
But Watch Dogs is probably a good reason why they won't do it, WD is already scratching that modern action game market itch.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see a more "modern" AC. Like WW1 or around 1900. That would be dope
They kind of did that with Syndicate and playing as Jacob's granddaughter Lydia during WW1 in London. Obviously they could do more with that setting, and though WW2 is used a lot in games I'd still like to get an AC game during that time as well.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Honestly, it would be awesome if they made an entire game in a modern setting with Abstergo in full force.

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
AC Odyssey/modern day AC spoilers:
I think they should follow Cassandra in modern times. That was a pretty cool reveal when she showed up and gave the staff of Hermes to the modern day assassin woman, it would be fun to play with an existing character in a new time line. Have her and Evie Frye meet during WW1 or something
www.youtube.com

The Lonely Island - Jizz In My Pants (Official Music Video)

REMASTERED IN HD!Official Music Video for Jizz In My Pants performed by The Lonely Island.Follow The Lonely Island:Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thelon...

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Aztec, Inca or Maya something that focuses on Central or South America would be my choice.

I feel like Japan and China already get enough material (across movies/games etc.).

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
I didn't play the colonial America one - I seem to remember that the character was part indigenous no?

Regardless, I didn't play it and I would love a lovingly made game (though probably not an AC) about some of the indigenous groups in America prior to colonization. That would be so fucking rad.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I hope not. Something focused on one of the many African Empires (Mali, Ghana, Songhai, etc.) would be far more appealing. I can't think of many notable open world games that are set in Africa, much less the eastern or western part of the continent.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
These OTs always neglect Aztec/Mayan history, landscapes, and settings. Give me that. Love Japan but other culturally rich places exist.

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling it'll be set in the Indian Rebellion of 1857
That setting is perfect for the templar vs assassin conflict.