• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 21, 2018
Mario 3D World/Bowser's Fury
Cyber Shadow
Persona 5 Strikers
Bravely Default 2
Monster Hunter Rise
Pokemon New Snap

Little Nightmare 2
Ghost and Goblins Resurrection
Crash Bandicoot 4
Miitopia
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy
Mario Golf Super Rush
Zelda : Skyward Sword HD

The bolded are exclusive/timed-exclusive in some way.
I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out.

I hear a lot of complaining about the Switch's lineup, especially after the recent Direct, but I'm not sure what exclusives are coming to the other consoles in the near future and this is a pretty good lineup I think that covers a lot of bases.

What new games are you planning to get for Switch soon?

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah honestly between Mario, Monster Hunter, Mario Golf and Skyward Sword, I'm gonna have plenty to play this year.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
you forgot the Famicom Detective Club Remakes but yes it is probably the strongest H1 of the switch's lifetime so far

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
3D World, Bravely Default II, Monster Hunter Rise, New Pokémon Snap, Famicom Detective Club, Crash 4, Miitopia and Mario Golf Super Rush. Not too shabby.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Too many ports is the primary issue and I don't see much to change that view.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its solid (especially given covid) but lacks a flagship title to really elevate it. I dont think people are disappointed in first half of 2021 so much as not getting a look at some of the big titles they have cooking after so long being silent.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And in the second half they also have games like NMH 3, MH Stories 2, Neo the World Ends with You etc etc.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
it's not a bad lineup by any means

but for me personally, it's a disaster. I'm starving over here

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Seems really port heavy so I can't really agree personally. Bowser's Fury was good and I'll be playing my first Monster Hunter with Rise. If MH doesn't stick, this will be a really bad first half for me.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Sadly many people only care about new Marios and Zeldas.

To me it's amazing, especially for Famicom Detective Club and Pokemon Snap.

Dablado

Jan 1, 2019
Mario 3DW and Mario Golf will be enough for me! And Zelda and NMH but those not H1, though.

Mar 2, 2020
Brazil
I think the same. In terms of quantity of exclusives it's the biggest H1 the Switch ever had.
Plus, it's the first time since 2017 with Zelda+MK8DX we're getting two HUGE exclusives with the potential of selling 10m+ units and scoring 90+ on Metacritic in 3D World + Bowser's Fury and Monster Hunter Rise.
There's also Mario Golf, New Pokémon Snap and Miitopia that will probably sell quite high numbers.
With the sole exception of January, every month has at least one exclusive or first party game.
2019, which is a year we use to acclaim, had in its first half NSMBU DX, Yoshi, Cadence of Hyrule and Super Mario Maker 2. 2020, if not for Animal Crossing and Xenoblade, would have the H1 considered dead compared to this year. And 2018 only had ports(that don't even dream of selling like a fourth of Mario), Kirby and Tennis. This year has a so much better lineup. And yet people already gave up on this year being strong.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
it's solid but the only game i'm actually playing on the switch is 3D World. BD2 and MHR i'll get when they eventually come to PC, and played Cyber Shadow on gamepass

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
It's an...okay first half for me. Which is fine; more time to catch up on my backlog.

Here's my planned Switch haul this year so far:
- Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (already beat)
- Crash 4
- Hades (physical)
- Skyward Sword HD
- Outer Wilds
- Axiom Verge 2

Maybes:
- New Pokémon Snap
- Subnautica

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo first half of the years are usually weak so this is pretty decent, honestly animal crossing on its lonesome last year alone was one of the strongest first half of the years for them bar the launch of the switch.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Second half will also likely be strong. Well atleast if we really get a new Pokemon game this year (we should?).

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Wait I thought Skyward Sword was second half of the year- like July or August? I need to get my facts straight.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've played 30 hours of Wrestling Empire on Switch in 2021 already.

You're right, first half of 2021 rules for Switch. That list is full of potential bangers.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Pokemon Snap, Skyward Sword, are the main ones I'm looking forward to.

If Mario Golf reviews well I might also pick it up.

Oct 27, 2017
Cyber Shadow
Persona 5 Strikers
Bravely Default 2
Monster Hunter Rise
Pokemon New Snap

Little Nightmare 2
Crash Bandicoot 4
Miitopia
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy
Mario Golf Super Rush

The bolded are exclusive/timed-exclusive in some way.
I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out.

I hear a lot of complaining about the Switch's lineup, especially after the recent Direct, but I'm not sure what exclusives are coming to the other consoles in the near future and this is a pretty good lineup I think that covers a lot of bases.

What new games are you planning to get for Switch soon?
I'm not buying any of these. Since I already played Mario 3DW, it's got nothing I buy Nintendo consoles for. No new Zelda, no new Mario, no Metroid, no Kart, barely any new AC, no Pikmin, no Pokemon...

It's a very weak 1st party lineup.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ghosts n Goblins, Monster Hunter Rise, Pokemon Snap, and Mario Golf is definitely a fantastic lineup for me personally. But then again I'd be saying that if it was just Monster Hunter Rise anyway.

Any disappointment I felt towards the direct was just that they'd been quiet for too long and I expected to see at least one big new thing launching later this year, but I know we'll get that eventually.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing about how people often talk about Switch's stellar 2017 is that when the console came out, there was no shortage of people being quick to complain how the console's first half was "weak", since people dismissed Mario Kart 8 as a port and BOTW being the only really substantially unique/new game until ARMS hit the console that summer, then Splatoon 2 a little bit later.

I think the first half of 2021 is off to a great start for them, they have all the potential right now to get a slam dunk of a year if they keep it up for the second half with some of the rumored games, as well as third party stuff like Shin Megami Tensei and No More Heroes.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I don't know… I'm pretty underwhelmed.

Bowser's Fury was pretty good, but there's almost nothing else I either haven't already played (either on a previous Nintendo system or another system) or am not interested in.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
And to think that before like a week ago, we didn't know about half of those.

Won't stop people from acting like the sky is falling because we don't know what Nintendo has in store for the second half of the year.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Damn, it feels like another pretty extended stretch where there's not much I'm interested in beyond one game (Mario Golf) and a couple ports I might consider which is how I felt about last year. On the other hand, 8 exclusives that are objectively solid (regardless of my personal taste), is nothing to sneeze at.

I've kinda been of the opinion that Nintendo hasn't really been pumping stuff out at full capacity, even since the pre-covid days, but it's hard to argue with this quantity compared to other first party publishers. I keep oscillating between "Nintendo's in a lull" then "oh ok I guess that is a lot" when I actually look at a release calendar.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah it's really not for a large percentage of us.

It's not abmismal, Nintendo isn't "in trouble", people need to calm down on that. But it's also not a powerful lineup. Some cool/promising titles in there- especially if you love JRPGs and Monster Hunter. but they are mostly very niche releases/spin-offs or ports of old games- and not the ports that we actually want.

Persona 5 Strikers: looks awesome. Not for me, but I'm glad we're getting it.
Bravely Default 2: I'm not sold on this yet, hearing too many iffy things. I'm willing to be proven wrong but I'm not excited.
Monster Hunter Rise: maybe this is unfair but the demo lost me, not sure if this is for me. Not excited yet.
Pokemon New Snap: looks beautiful, hopefully more meat to the game than the N64 original but I'm positive on it.
Ghost and Goblins Resurrection: waiting on reviews for this one. Not really excited yet.
Crash Bandicoot 4: looks beautiful but everyone telling me that it's "difficult to the point of not being fun" has pushed me away
Miitopia: I don't love Miitopia enough to pay $50-60 for it.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy: the worst versions of the 2000's Ninja Gaiden games. Maybe if the reviews are good I'll pick up on a sale.
Mario Golf Super Rush: waiting to see the other modes. Real story mode and super rush look fun so I'm optimistic.

It's not the greatest lineup for me personally but my backlog is massive and I still have a few PS4 games to complete. I'll be fine.

Last edited:

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Bravely Default 2
Miitopia
Mario Golf Super Rush
I already bought or am planning to buy these. Add to that the famicom detective
Club games and Outer Wilds and yeah I'm
Pretty satisfied with the lineup. I'll probably buy more games but these are the ones I pre ordered already. With H1 being this good I can't imagine how good H2 will be.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too many overpriced ports and multiplats that will be available cheaper and better on other platforms for my liking.

BD2 is the only one there I'm actually likely to consider tbh.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
It would be okay if more of these $60 games were budget titles. I am not paying full price for Mario Golf, Pokemon Snap, 3D World, Skyward Sword, or Miitopia (lmao). Even Famicom Detective Club is $60 for both games.

As it is, Monster Hunter is the only remote possibility, so I can't call this a good year so far.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
No no, don't get me wrong. I love first party Nintendo- it's why I buy their systems. I also love ports. These titles just aren't up my alley.

It's fine, I know the pandemic has made things difficult. I'm hoping to see what they do for the Zelda anniversary (I'll happily buy a new four swords or a port of Ocarina 3D) and I'm hoping they add GBA or N64 to their online catalog.

First party that would excite me: Kirby, Mario Party Online or Mario Strikers, BOTW2, Donkey Kong, Metroid, F-Zero, Kid Icarus
First party Ports that would excite me: Thousand Year Door, Kid Icarus Uprising, Zelda Link Between Worlds, Yoshi's Wooly World, F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Metroid Samus Returns, Kirby Planet Robobot, Kirby Air Ride, Mother 3 (lol)
Third Party ports that would excite me: biggies are Castlevania IGA games (GBA, DS and SOTN), Chrono Trigger/Cross, FFVI, Far Cry Blood Dragon, Banjo, there's an endless list here.

It's pretty thinly spread but acceptable under the circumstances. Some cool stuff in there. More worried about the back half of the year.
I like the way Snrub thinks.