• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strifel

Oct 13, 2021
Gears 1 had almost a nihilistic feel to it. The desolate atmosphere, the horror undertones and beautifully imagined war torn locations magnified by the daunting architecture all give the game a different feel to its sequels. I wish the entire game was just us scouring the streets of destroyed Sera and claustrophobic corridors similar to Act 1 and Act 4, it would be my favorite game ever, there's something mind blowing about exploring such a well realized version of this world in obscene fidelity. The desaturated look also fits like a glove, attempting to mimic film of the time period and portray the hopelessness of everything. I also want to heavily compliment the developers (both of the original and remake) for the level of curated detail and unique assets whether it's signage or debris.

The sequels went for bombast and traded decayed streets for tropical islands and underground caves, and gritty greyish look for more hopeful color.

FWDTVwragAAV_rw

FWDFGk_agAA7vHA

FWDFvAfaUAA4sqO

FWDGX_eaMAAiv86

FWDGu7IaUAArJBp

FWDHKzUagAAtPqL

FWDHsktaIAATGpT

Last edited:

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
The first gears tone is like an 80s action horror film.

The tone was amazing helped by the music

This track right here. So good so bombastic

This is why I hope they go in a more horror direction for a new gears since part 1 it's only something they've lightly flirted with

www.youtube.com

Gears Of War OST - Track 12 - Ephyra Streets II

Gears Of War Official Soundtrack.Track 12:Ephyra Streets II

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 1 is still my favorite because of the oppressive horror atmosphere it has. Some of 2 and 3 get close but there's just something special about the first game.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
4's atmosphere was more closer to 1 originally, not sure why it was changed in development.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
it's the fuckin music

that shits blockbuster af in ways I wish more games aspire to be

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The dark stage in 4 did a decent job of recapturing that horror feel.

Nothing will ever duplicate the first time you have to hide from the Berserker though.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
the multiplayer is also so much better. lobbies where I can pick my rooms instead of bs matchmaking. The mechanics and simplistic weapon set. My favorite MP game of all time.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
You can tell with Gears 1 how the whole Shotty Run meta was not something they even considered until it overtook them MP and then later the series en masse.

the multiplayer is also so much better. lobbies where I can pick my rooms instead of bs matchmaking. The mechanics and simplistic weapon set. My favorite MP game of all time.
This is funny to read (Not saying you're wrong). Since I vividly remember when this game having lobbies instead of matchmaking was seen as outdated lol.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Act 1 Chapter 5 of fighting the Beserker iirc was a thrilling and horrifying experience

Some posts above mine mentioned it, but the Gears 4 horror mission that has you running around the hunted mansion trying to find the Snatcher was the closest experience to Gears 1 that you'll find in a recent Gears game

I really really really want the series to go full horror on Series X with 6

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
ive always wanted a gears spinoff that goes all in on the horror aspect of the first but maybe now that like 60% of the upcoming games are going to be action-horror maybe its better to wait a bit.

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
Total agreed. Gears 1 and 2 are my favorite and the rest of the franchise just don't get to the feeling I liked about the first two.

And while we're posting music...

youtu.be

Gears Of War OST - Track 18 - Locust, Wretches & Kryll

Gears Of War Official Soundtrack.Track 18:Locust, Wretches & Kryll

youtu.be

Gears Of War OST - Track 28 - Gears Of War Reprise

Gears Of War Official Soundtrack.Track 28:Gears Of War Reprise

youtu.be

Gears of War 2 Soundtrack - Armored Prayer

Gears of War 2 soundtrack.

youtu.be

Gears of War 2 Soundtrack - Finale

Gears of War 2 soundtrack.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
4's atmosphere was more closer to 1 originally, not sure why it was changed in development.

i dont think anything changed, Gears 4 is probably the cloest the series has come to recapturing the feel of Gears 1.

While it has more light hearted dialogue and quips, the game does follow a very similiar flow to Gears 1, especially with how it starts in the light, then gets dark, then finishes in the light again. In the darkest hours of the game the horror comes out in full force, just like in Gears 1.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
i dont think anything changed, Gears 4 is probably the cloest the series has come to recapturing the feel of Gears 1.

While it has more light hearted dialogue and quips, the game does follow a very similiar flow to Gears 1, especially with how it starts in the light, then gets dark, then finishes in the light again. In the darkest hours of the game the horror comes out in full force, just like in Gears 1.
The E3 demo had a darker atmosphere. Final game is much brighter with more quips. It is hard to say how the whole game originally was i guess.

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
Playing Gears of War on release was such an experience the originality in weapons. The co op experience. Game felt so unique and huge. And multiplayer felt great. That sniper rifle and torque bow was so satisfying to get headshots with. Not sure if the series went down hill or it just couldn't replicate the experience of why I loved the first one, but anything beyond 2 isn't for me.

ravelordnito

Unshakable Resolve
May 17, 2021
Damn OP, you're making me want to replay it. Actually, I never finished the whole trilogy, only 1/Remake and stopped halfway through the second game. But yeah, I love the atmosphere of the original Gears. Gritty graphics from 2006/07/08 were awesome.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
While I enjoy the Gear series as a whole I am very fond of the horror vibe of Gears 1, especially with the Berserker segment. Would love to see a return to that in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
It definitely felt a lot different, probably why it's really the only one I truly like a lot, the others are fine but never hit the same notes that the first did.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
it's the fuckin music

that shits blockbuster af in ways I wish more games aspire to be

This is just amazing.
I also like the first one the best when it comes to overall atmosphere and horror mystery feel.
It was unique imo.

Gears 4 and 5 is great but…lost the touch the first had.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Yea, Gears 1 nailed the tone they were going for (multiplayer too, glitches and all), was such a magical game.

Loved Gears 2 and 3 as well. 4 and 5 were good, but didn't have the magic from the original trilogy.

Too bad they didn't X enhance Gears 1. Also, whatever happened to Gears of War Ultimate Edition? Thought they had advertised to enhance that as well for Xbox One X years ago. Would love to have either or both in 4K.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best gaming experiences of my life was going through the Night/Krill chapter in Gears co-op with a few folks in my college dorm. Everyone was freaking the fuck out at every moment as the horrible knife bugs rolled in. It was amazing.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Playing Gears of War on release was such an experience the originality in weapons. The co op experience. Game felt so unique and huge. And multiplayer felt great. That sniper rifle and torque bow was so satisfying to get headshots with. Not sure if the series went down hill or it just couldn't replicate the experience of why I loved the first one, but anything beyond 2 isn't for me.

Exactly the same here. Sophomore year of college. Days off and playing 8am-4am rinse and repeat. I'll never forget that launch. None of the others did that to me and my friends.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The original Gears of War is such a special game. Not a controversial statement, but it stands as a perfect example how to launch a series and deserves celebration. One of those real total package games, it just excelled in pretty much everything it was trying to do.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gears is an amazing franchise and I'm glad it's never been put to rest because there's so much room to explore.

Can't wait for whatever is next. Gears 1 still hits.

GonXtreme

Dec 13, 2017
Moscow
And this is why I don't understand that they haven't rebooted the franchise after Gears Judgment.

There's still time to get that gritty feeling back.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Hot take, but I played Gears 1 as part of a late-to-the-party replay of the Entire Gears saga last summer/fall... and was distinctly underwhelmed by it. I get it's place in gaming history, but everything I had been expecting was sort of... I dunno. I think the big setpieces and bombast of the later games was much more my speed than what we got in the fist one.

Like... I knew the Berserker. I knew how hype she was and how it was a standout moment... and literally it's pretty much two hallways, and then sky laser it. Like... once you know there's BIG SMASHY THING, the sequence was too short to actually feel tense to me. RAAM was likewise, I thought going to have actual presence--I knew he was the yardstick later Gears baddies were measured by, and he's a tough boss... but really he had a handful of cutscenes where all he really does is be tall and kill a guy we knew for one act.

Also not helped was for some reason I had a lot of trouble parsing who was speaking when Dom and Marcus talked--I never had the problem in the later games, I dunno if someone sat the VAs down and asked them to be more distinct, but for some reason both sounded way too similar in 1 for me to know who was talking half the time.

I dunno, I appreciated the added colors of 3 and the later games.

Like I think I was spoiled by coming in late and knowing the game's rep... and finding it to be a very 2005 videogame. I dunno, I enjoyed the entire Gears playthrough I did, but it seems like I cannot fully appreciate 1 because I missed the boat first time around, and IMO most of the sequels were much more fun. Was a fun trip through a post-apocalyptic landscape, but the other games built on it very well.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
I like when the guy in the warehouse falls through the floor and has a hilarious death scream.

miguelfcp

May 6, 2022
Portugal
Despite Gears 2 and 3 having a better gameplay, the first game continues to be my favourite one of the saga. Its atmosphere is brutal!

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I really really really want a game that simply works. Gears 5 was such a shitshow but you cant tell from bizarre amount of undeserved appreciation that people have for the Coalition.
What didn't you like about 5? I thought the last act and choice were awful and honestly thought it was missing an act 5. But the rest was decent.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Agreed on the aesthetics and the first one was just a blast in general. I had a work buddy at the time who was also into it and we'd have a ton of fun in multi basically every night for a while.

I played some of Gears 2 and 3 but never got into them and haven't played any others. That first game had a special magic to it.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
There's absolutely NOTHING like Gears 1. Everything about it was perfect

It went downhill afterwards and I couldn't enjoy Gears ever since

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Gears of War 1 is the only Gears I fully completed and played MP for 1k+ matches.
I remember not being engaged as much with Gears 2 and didn't even bother with the rest of the series.

I tuned in a few recent Gears esport games, seems like the core mechanics are still the same on that front.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 1 was really one of a kind. And I'm saying this as someone who loved and played GoW 2 to death.

Jacinto

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 7, 2022
I prefer the newer games but I do wish they'd make a throwback too the Oppressive tone of the first game. A gears Horror one bad night type of experience