• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Also this game had some really neat extended lore thanks to a tie in novel that pretty much got thrown out of canon when they made DMC3:
latest

that they've slowly reintroduced into the "main" titles. Hell, Kamiya even reused some characters when he made Bayonetta, Enzo is originally from the DMC novel.

Oct 31, 2017
Lol, that's great.

"You can do whatever you want!"

*Comes back a few months later*

"I'm made a terrible mistake here."

Mikami is also the one who put Kamiya in charge for RE2 : even though that first version was scrapped, he still kept Kamiya on the project... I think he's always been pretty fond of him and how passionate he is when it comes to video games ! :D

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
DMC1=DMC3>>>DMC4=DMC5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DMC2

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's different, but in the best ways. The art design and enemy designs are god-tier. The former thanks to the brilliant Yasuko Shimoda. She's a trained oil painter, and you can really tell that and the Gaudi influence in her concept work.

It bums me out that she wasn't the background designer on DMC5, even though she's still at Capcom. She was a UI art designer on Iceborne. She was also one of the UI design leads on Dragon's Dogma and Dark Arisen, funnily enough.
I'm happy 5 steered the series away from 4's overly clean and brightly lit overly stylized aesthetic. Now we just need to return to gothic environments. Hopefully with her doing the job.

Despite being PS2 the environments still look great today:

This is straight up some Souls and Bloodborne-level shit. DMC1's still one of the raddest-looking games on PS2.

Last edited:

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf. Kamiya was only 30 (possibly younger) when he directed Devil May Cry? Dude was a literal genius.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
DMC1 is still my favourite. There might be a slight rose tint when saying that, but the game still totally holds up. And it does feel different to other entries.

For me, personally:

DMC1>DMC3>DmC>DMC5>DMC4>DMC2

Yes I know there's a certain entry there in a position that will upset people but deal with it.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
DMC1 is still my favourite. There might be a slight rose tint when saying that, but the game still totally holds up. And it does feel different to other entries.

For me, personally:

DMC1>DMC3>DmC>DMC5>DMC4>DMC2

Yes I know there's a certain entry there in a position that will upset people but deal with it.

Don't be ashamed. DmC is my favourite in the whole series next to 3. The definitive version is an incredible game that it underrated. Best level design, best bosses, angel and devil weapons were awesome.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Best in the series no doubt, OP hit the nail on the head.
DMC3 is great for its gameplay improvements but lost a lot of horror elements of DMC1.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Don't be ashamed. DmC is my favourite in the whole series next to 3. The definitive version is an incredible game that it underrated. Best level design, best bosses, angel and devil weapons were awesome.
Ah good. Yes I meant the definitive edition. I get people don't like the story or character design of DmC etc etc. And it needed the 60fps of the DE. But from a gameplay point of view it is a ton of fun and the level design is way, way better and more interesting than the ultra-linear corridor claustrophobia of DMC5.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf. Kamiya was only 30 (possibly younger) when he directed Devil May Cry? Dude was a literal genius.

He was 27 when he directed RE2.

Itsuno is no slouch either. By the time he hit 30, he'd directed nine games, with another two, One Piece Mansion and CvS2, out later the same year. By the time he did DMC3 he'd directed 12 games.

and more interesting than the ultra-linear corridor claustrophobia of DMC5.

Wut. You know DmC is ultra linear and full of corridors as well, right? About as much as DMC5. And was probably one of the reasons why DMC5 was so linear in the first place.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
He was 27 when he directed RE2.

Itsuno is no slouch either. By the time he hit 30, he'd directed nine games, with another two, One Piece Mansion and CvS2, out later the same year. By the time he did DMC3 he'd directed 12 games.

That's insane. He really was a prodigy to be directing games of that magnitude and importance to a company at such a tender age.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a scrapped idea for RE4 though: it was RE4.

Mikami had full confidence in Kamiya and let him do what he wanted, then he saw the game way later and was pissed or so the story goes...

I love stories about Kamiya-kun and Mikami-senpai from the early days. The idea that Mikami trusted his protege to make Resident Evil 4 and then came back one day to find this game about a rock and roll badass juggling demons with a sword is just excellent :P

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Ah good. Yes I meant the definitive edition. I get people don't like the story or character design of DmC etc etc. And it needed the 60fps of the DE. But from a gameplay point of view it is a ton of fun and the level design is way, way better and more interesting than the ultra-linear corridor claustrophobia of DMC5.

I even think the character design is good. I ended up buying the art book because I loved the art so much.

The initial reveal trailer where Dante looked like a meth addict I agree was pretty bad, but after the changes were made I think he looked way better. I honestly could care less if his hair was black or white.

Its just a consistently solid game, unlike DMC5 where when you play as V the game slows down to a crawl. You're also right about the level design being very linear and same-y between level to level.

I would rank them...

1. DmC: DE
2. DMC3
3. DMC1
4. DMC5
5. DMC4
6. DMC2

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's insane. He really was a prodigy to be directing games of that magnitude and importance to a company at such a tender age.

Mikami viewed Kamiya as his prodigy, iirc. Fun fact, a bunch of planners on RE1 went on to direct RE games later on. Kamiya did RE2, Kazuhiro Aoyama did RE3, Hiroki Kato did Code Veronica (arguably another Mikami prodigy. Later the lead designer on God Hand and Vanquish. After Vanquish he left the industry and became a farmer, lol), Koji Oda did 0, and Kazunori Kadoi, most recently, did RE2make (his directorial debut). Beyond that, system software engineer and later RE2 main system programmer Yasuhiro Anpo directed RE5, Rev 2 and co-directed RE2make and RE3make. Jun Takeuchi was one of the character modelers (his first after working on 2D games) and is now head of Capcom development division 1. Event planner Masaaki Yamada directed Viewtiful Joe 2 and Red Hot Rumble. Another fun fact, scenario planner Kenichi Iwao left Capcom for Squaresoft soon after, and later directed Parasite Eve 2.

It was a real smorgasbord of future who's who for Capcom and Resident Evil.

Last edited:

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta is as close as you'll ever get to a DMC sequel and, thankfully, those games are completely insane. I'm pretty sure if Kamiya had stayed at Capcom, Dante would've eventually made Asura look like a wimp.
I can't say I agree with this. Bayonetta is definitely its own thing and hews closer to DMC3 in tone (whereas DMC1 would never pump a pop remix of "Fly Me to the Moon" while you kick demon/angel ass and laugh about it).

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Also this game had some really neat extended lore thanks to a tie in novel that pretty much got thrown out of canon when they made DMC3:
latest

that they've slowly reintroduced into the "main" titles. Hell, Kamiya even reused some characters when he made Bayonetta, Enzo is originally from the DMC novel.

yeah, it's hilarious seeing DMC 1 Vergil who was heavily implied to be a loving brother to Dante and not the rival we got

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's different, but in the best ways. The art design and enemy designs are god-tier. The former thanks to the brilliant Yasuko Shimoda. She's a trained oil painter, and you can really tell that and the Gaudi influence in her concept work.

It bums me out that she wasn't the background designer on DMC5, even though she's still at Capcom. She was a UI art designer on Iceborne. She was also one of the UI design leads on Dragon's Dogma and Dark Arisen, funnily enough.
I'm happy 5 steered the series away from 4's overly clean and brightly lit overly stylized aesthetic. Now we just need to return to gothic environments. Hopefully with her doing the job.

Despite being PS2 the environments still look great today:

This is straight up some Souls and Bloodborne-level shit. DMC1's still one of the raddest-looking games on PS2.
"Hey how's that RE project goin-----Kamiya! WTF are you doing I said to make a resident evil game D:<"

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I definitely preferred this tone and version of Dante to the stuff that came after it. The gameplay has been significantly improved in the sequels though.

I couldn't agree more. Drew Coombs will forever be my Dante. Speaking of which, why can't I play a Viewtiful Joe PS2 remaster yet? It's the unofficial sequel to DMC1!

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I think that DMC5 might wind up being my favorite game in the series, but I've always ranked DMC1 above 2, 3, and 4. I love the tone it has, regardless of the cutscenes, and I miss it in the sequels. I'll always consider the original to be a better-paced game that is more enjoyable to play through than 3, regardless of 3's combat mechanics.

Kamiya is pretty much the master of pacing and escalation.

Outside of Okami lol

FearonDuve

Feb 22, 2020
Yeah, that definitely sound how I feel on the series. Unfortunately, I like the 1st for it's spookiness but with action, not over the action style the series has morphed into. Still great games but wish it went back more to the way 1 was.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
dmc1 honestly feels more like bayonetta 0, and much more like an arcade game or a platinum game, which isnt suprising considering its a kamiya game

in dmc1 the enemies are the real focus and understanding their attacks and avoiding them while keeping a combo going is the main thrust of the game

whereas in dmc3-5 its about your understanding of dante/nero/ect's moveset and your ability to use it to mix up your attacks and create long stylish combos

both have depth, its just that in dmc1 the depth is in using dantes smaller toolkit to solve encounters with complex enemies, wheras in dmc3-5 its about using dantes insanely massive toolkit to counter encounters with strong but simple enemies

personally i like 3-5 more but im glad dmc1's spirit lives on in many of kamiyas other games because those are very fun as well

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I can't say I agree with this. Bayonetta is definitely its own thing and hews closer to DMC3 in tone (whereas DMC1 would never pump a pop remix of "Fly Me to the Moon" while you kick demon/angel ass and laugh about it).
i dont think kamiya would want to make another game like dmc1 though. bayonetta is definitely closer to what i would expect another dmc would be from him
i think the only reason dmc has the horror elements is because he was making an RE game for capcom, originally

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
dmc1 honestly feels more like bayonetta 0, and much more like an arcade game or a platinum game, which isnt suprising considering its a kamiya game

in dmc1 the enemies are the real focus and understanding their attacks and avoiding them while keeping a combo going is the main thrust of the game

whereas in dmc3-5 its about your understanding of dante/nero/ect's moveset and your ability to use it to mix up your attacks and create long stylish combos

both have depth, its just that in dmc1 the depth is in using dantes smaller toolkit to solve encounters with complex enemies, wheras in dmc3-5 its about using dantes insanely massive toolkit to counter encounters with strong but simple enemies

personally i like 3-5 more but im glad dmc1's spirit lives on in many of kamiyas other games because those are very fun as well

Spot on, and The Wonderful 101 is this way, too. Kamiya's games always have fairly difficult enemies with large movesets that you need to be able to react to and have an answer for, whereas enemies in Itsuno's DMC games have very limited movesets and are only really dangerous in large numbers or in tricky combinations of different enemy types. Most of the enemies in DMC3 have one move each, for example; the depth of the game is in mastering Dante's abilities, not learning how to fight the enemies well.

Apr 3, 2020
Yes, but you have to reconsider this game or product of very "unique scenario/one-case" due to the origins of the game

The atmosphere is basically a Resident Evil's atmosphere, the atomsphere is a "leftover" from original project. So most likely if the sequels made by Kamiya it will be a lot different, with more brighter atmosphere (I won't surprised if even more brighter than the Itusno's sequels)

Also sequels are atmospheric especially 3, and the others to some degree.

So peronally I tend to not compare the first game with the rest, because it's unfair for both sides.

DMC is a game I really love and adore, I think it most in the series I've beated many times, people say the game is outdated more specific the movement and controlling, but I gotta tell you each time I replay the game I'm shocked how Dante movement is very responsive and smooth, and plays better than 90% current games.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spot on, and The Wonderful 101 is this way, too. Kamiya's games always have fairly difficult enemies with large movesets that you need to be able to react to and have an answer for, whereas enemies in Itsuno's DMC games have very limited movesets and are only really dangerous in large numbers or in tricky combinations of different enemy types. Most of the enemies in DMC3 have one move each, for example; the depth of the game is in mastering Dante's abilities, not learning how to fight the enemies well.

Can't say that about DMC5.

Plenty of people complain about having to fight Fury, Judecca etc., even alone. And the enemies have many moves.

It basically has ridiculous depth in Dante and Nero (and a very unique play style for V), really fun enemies (both for fighting and styling) and fantastic bosses (not a single giant crappy set piece boss in sight).

s y

Nov 8, 2017
DMCV>4SE>3SE>1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>dmc

monali

Mar 8, 2020
Ah yes, the joys of playing a shitty flying/turret/vehicle/other garbage section in a character action game with QTEs galore.

Really sells the pacing.
That's still good pacing IMO, and they weren't shitty in 2001, and throwing a hundred mini game in his games was pretty much Kamiya's signature, which I love.
What do you think about Wonderful 101?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's still good pacing IMO, and they weren't shitty in 2001, and throwing a hundred mini game in his games was pretty much Kamiya's signature, which I love.
What do you think about Wonderful 101?

Which I can't stand, especially in a character action game.

So you can imagine what I think about W101 :)

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, as someone who didn't play the game till later on, I wasn't a big fan of it. You could really tell that it started out as an RE title... And to me it just felt like it lacked much of an identity of it's own. The atmosphere was decent at times, but I really hated the combat.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I still really love the first one. It made me a fan of the series. I prefer how it has evolved over time personally, but I always still have a soft spot for DMC1, and I still acknowledge that its texture is quite different too, and when I revisit it I'm usually quite prepared for that shift. It's enough that it doesn't quite feel like a regression — it tends to, in fact, feel as OP suggests in that it feels like it comes from a completely different series. As another person pointed out, it feels right between where DMC3 re-established the series and still carries some of its RE DNA in its ambience and its gameplay feel.

I do often speculate how the series would've fared if DMC2 as a sophomore effort was a lot more refined and polished and left a generally positive impression instead of a negative one. I wonder if the series would've continued to feel weightier and darker as it went on rather than going as bombastic as it has — not that I mind, I just ponder it sometimes.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. And I'm ok with that and it staying there. I respect it for what it is, but I'm far more interested in what DMC became.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

yea! w101 is quite similar in some ways, like how only a single enemy type will show up at a time. However all enemies are equipped with enough attacks that one can pressure you at close range while u must still be afraid of a long range attack as well

i think that really stems from kamiyas background in arcade games, while itsunos ideas come from his background in fighting games instead

Apr 3, 2020

All the sequels are arcadish, 5 is most arcade game this generation, and I don't see how DMC1 is similar to Bayonetta

Is it so?
I mean I'm pretty sure 3-5's eninems are influenced by 1's enemies design and many of them made appearance in other games in a way or another

Also many enemies in 3 have their unique attributes and you should exploit their weakness or avoid their strengths

I can't speak about 3-4, but 5 higher difficulties give enemies new attacks.
i dont think kamiya would want to make another game like dmc1 though. bayonetta is definitely closer to what i would expect another dmc would be from him
i think the only reason dmc has the horror elements is because he was making an RE game for capcom, originally

Exactly!
And most likely the brighter segments and dialog of the game is his doing after he got greenlit to make it DMC

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I think DMC 3 had perfect balance of Gothic and cheesiness . DMC 4&5 went in completely different ways and I really hate Nero as a character

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
Yeah, it really is super different. In fact, the first game I played from the series was DMC3 and, when I got around to play DMC1, I didn't quite like it. It's got a different tone but more than that, its gameplay felt completely jarring to what I expected. And I think that boils down to what they were trying to achieve with the game, which (like a lot of you have already pointed out) is more in line with Castlevania and Resident Evil than with DMC3 or even Bayonetta (the latter of which I think got way more inspiration from DMC3 than from Kamiya's own DMC).

So yeah, barring the reboot and the half cooked part 2, I would put DMC1 way behind the masterful DMC3, 4 and 5. Not because its a bad game at all, but more because it's game design and combat don't really evoke what 'Devil May Cry' is to me, personally. It's really fun to see the evolution of the series though, it has seen its share of ups and downs and makes me appreciate the existence of DMC5 even more!