• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
As much as I'd like to add more names to the mix, I let people suggest names for the OT last month and these were the only ones plus I threw a bunch in (some which do work and some which are just awful imo). It is VERY likely that the title will be 'Not Outer Wilds' as that is the highest voted - unless something changes in the next 7 days.
How about a new poll, with a few new choices added in?

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
>Fallout but it's on the Unreal engine instead of Creation

giphy.gif

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I totally see that point of thinking but then it makes the 124 votes that have currently being made - null and void. If I could update the current poll with new options I would do that but I can't :(
New votes will easily reach that also tho. Even more closer to release and launch trailer etc.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I totally see that point of thinking but then it makes the 124 votes that have currently being made - null and void. If I could update the current poll with new options I would do that but I can't :(
Can't we put an updated poll on here? With new suggestions derived from this thread - On say a preview thread or something related?

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
New votes will easily reach that also tho. Even more closer to release and launch trailer etc.
Can't we put an updated poll on here? With new suggestions derived from this thread - On say a preview thread or something related?
I'd be happy to put a new poll together which has the top 5 (winners) from the last poll, along with 5 new community suggestions which people like. The OT is posted in 7-8 days so we have time.

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so wanting to wait until the switch version releases. I need a fallout-like on the switch.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Some other new footage (not the best in quality tho) I really like the voice acting of the characters. And they look great also for this type of game. Alot better then some other of these games

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Hope that the gunplay is good. Playing a lot of Destiny recently and it will be hard to jump to this if it is too janky.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I'd be happy to put a new poll together which has the top 5 (winners) from the last poll, along with 5 new community suggestions which people like. The OT is posted in 7-8 days so we have time.
I didn't see your last call for votes, and because this place moves so quickly, and things get lost in the scrum, it might be a good idea to open the OT with a poll, and a placeholder title.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

After seeing opening sequence few times I can't, but feel during development they must have axed quite a bit out of introduction to the world before dropping you to first planet. Giving little bit narrative disconnect that our character basically gets kidnapped by wanted criminal and instantly tasked by said criminal with random task to get some drugs. You as character have zero reason to trust anything he says or do his bidding yet you just... do? Also game just assumes you (character) are as anti-corporation as Welles is without giving you option to challenge him at all during opening sequence.

Seems such huge missed opportunity to start game by actually fleshing out world right off the bat, introducing Welles.. well.. at all and letting player stretch those "choices matter" legs by letting player actually interact and do decisions with Welles.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Gameinformer actually had an early section gameplay video last month, and it's more interesting. They basically killed everyone for the luls, from that lady mercenary quest giver to the guards outside of the city.

Kinda disappointed that the act didn't make the whole city goes hostile. But yeah, I guess that would make things too complicated.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
After seeing opening sequence few times I can't, but feel during development they must have axed quite a bit out of introduction to the world before dropping you to first planet. Giving little bit narrative disconnect that our character basically gets kidnapped by wanted criminal and instantly tasked by said criminal with random task to get some drugs. You as character have zero reason to trust anything he says or do his bidding yet you just... do? Also game just assumes you (character) are as anti-corporation as Welles is without giving you option to challenge him at all during opening sequence.

Seems such huge missed opportunity to start game by actually fleshing out world right off the bat, introducing Welles.. well.. at all and letting player stretch those "choices matter" legs by letting player actually interact and do decisions with Welles.

They've specifically said that you can turn around and betray Welles for the bounty within the first few hours of the game, if you want to. As for the opening sequence as shown... I don't really have any issue with how it plays out? Like, I don't see where your character would've even had the opportunity to challenge Welles - you've barely woken up, and are clearly still extremely disoriented, before he jettisons you from the ship - and you don't have to do anything he asks you to do. Now, they could've rewritten the scenario to provide the opportunity to actually talk with him, as you say, but I really disagree with your assertion that the game assumes you share his perspective. The game very deliberately does nothing of the sort.

(Also I think it's worth pointing out that he doesn't so much 'kidnap' you as rescue you from being left for dead in a freezer for the rest of time—a fate that you were condemned to by the very government that branded him a 'wanted criminal'. That's not to say that there aren't any valid roleplay reasons for your character to be dubious of Welles, of course, but the perspective of his actions you've presented is just that: one specific perspective, that plenty of players and characters won't share.)

Last edited:

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope a 2080 super can run this on ultra 4k.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I think I'd be more interested in this if it felt like more of it's own thing....it looks like Fallout in space to me.
I know they have literally made a Fallout game before but I would have liked to have seen them do something a bit different tbh.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I think I'd be more interested in this if it felt like more of it's own thing....it looks like Fallout in space to me.
I know they have literally made a Fallout game before but I would have liked to have seen them do something a bit different tbh.

Considering RPGs like classic Fallouts are a dying breed, I don't mind it

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i don't know what to make of this game. it reminds me too much of fallout. i enjoyed Fallout but i don't know what it is about this that bothers me so much.

i might pick it up but definitely not rushing to buy it. looks like a wait and see then maybe buy it on sale.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Weird that people are complaining about "more Fallout" when nobody is doing Fallout anymore, not even the series actually called Fallout

If anything "more Fallout" is exactly why im interested in TOW

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
So whats the gimmick? It looks like fallout + borderlands, or its just that? 🤔

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Would be interested if the gameplay didn't boil down to following a quest marker 100% of the time as per modern Fallout standard. As it stands, hard pass.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Everything about this looks great except for the console FOV. Looks very constrained. It's easier to watch in a smaller Theater Mode YouTube window than it probably is to play on my TV. Any idea if FOV options will exist for players?

Aside from that -- and I admit for me it's kind of a big deal -- it looks really, really good.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Like what's bringing people to play this game, can you fly to other planets? a billion guns to choose and modify? or is just the thirst for another fallout game hahah, not there's something wrong with that, just genuinely asking

Nice I guess

The gimmick is that its a new RPG made by some of the best RPG developers of all time

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Like what's bringing people to play this game
It's Obsidian making a 3D RPG, no longer tethered to the Creation engine. And the game is being co-directed by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky.

That's all I really need. And it goes beyond Fallout tbh. These guys have worked on some great non-Fallout games (Arcanum, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Diablo III, etc.)

DotHair

Oct 29, 2017
UK
User Banned (5 Days) - System Warring
Lol yeah. Year of footage and trailers and even a pre order but the first 20 min is suddenly "garbage" and pre order cancel.

That was before MS bought the developer.
I feared this would happen...looks like a low effort product with game pass in mind now.
RIP Obsidian.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Considering you probably barely ever see your character's face, I'm happy with how much they put in the character creation lol.