• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
I'm just not into this narration, stressing this poster thing, it's like something the writer thought was "super cool" but is the lamest way to get at that topic...

this, too. credit where credit's due, remedy. plato's cave:

In the allegory, Plato likens people untutored in the Theory of Forms to prisoners chained in a cave, unable to turn their heads. All they can see is the wall of the cave. Behind them burns a fire. Between the fire and the prisoners there is a parapet, along which puppeteers can walk. The puppeteers, who are behind the prisoners, hold up puppets that cast shadows on the wall of the cave. The prisoners are unable to see these puppets, the real objects, that pass behind them. What the prisoners see and hear are shadows and echoes cast by objects that they do not see...

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting worried with these mixed impressions but hopefully it delivers because it's probably one of the few AAA games that I'm excited this year.

Preview impressions have been quite positive so far. It won't appeal to everyone, but most of the people who have played it have at least liked it, and sone have loved it.

Butterworth

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I won't be watching this because I want to go in fresh, but it's easily my most anticipated game releasing soon

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Not gonna lie. That was not a good opening. The concept may be interesting, but the writing, directing and dialogues seem really average.

F4raday

Jul 4, 2019
For me the gruff voicover got really old really fast. I hope they turn up the pretentious kitch all the way to 11, because otherwise the game might be just unbearable - not out there enough to be entertaining but to lame to treat seariously.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't really that interested in the game so far and that video sorta made me lose even more interest. I like the "sneaking around an empty building" vibe, sorta feels like Deus Ex or Hitman, but then the astral plane stuff is the kind of stuff I hate and the combat doesn't look very good or fun. The FMV face animations look really good but when it transitions to gameplay the faces look wrong. The world being mostly empty isn't really giving me any hype.

This feels like a game I'll play on gamepass for "free" in six months. It being very Alan Wake-ish sounds spot on, but I didn't love that game either.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The MC seems a touch stilted in the delivery of her lines, but seems likeable enough and I'm a fan of her design. The narration from James McCaffrey fits in so well to the vibe of the FBC though - glad that's in there. Combat looks wild and varied and the previews have been positive so far, so I'm expecting something solid from the final product. I think this is one Remedy is holding close to their chest. Like Kojima with Death Stranding. Both mystery boxes that I don't mind paying full price to open on day one.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Am I the only one or is there something weird about the way Remedy characters move? There was something off in Quantum Break for me and it looks the same here.

Still keen to play, just can't put my finger on what's weird about the characters.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I never watch "first minutes" videos and don't understands the it's appeal, I'd rather watch mid-game videos that properly shows the mechanics and give better idea of it.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This game will be fantastic and probably catch a lot of people off guard

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I love people saying I didn't like QB but this looks great...

It looks like a poor man's QB to me. And QB was a good idea ruined by weird execution. I'd bet this is more of the same.

Oct 27, 2017
Pro tip. Avoid the YT comments.

What's wrong with the comments? All I read are people excited to play the game.

The walking animation bothers me, as though she has a frozen right shoulder.

For me, not seeing anything that looks different from QB though - perhaps Remedy's way of getting that type of story onto the PS4?

Last edited:

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Still not feeling it. Looks very close to Quantum Break so far which was just not very good. 11 minutes of walking/cutscenes out of 13. I know it's the beginning but that doesn't bode well.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
... what? Why? Strong Finnish accent makes sense when characters name is Louhi and drops in Finnish words and even sentences here and there.

I wonder if this Louhi is based on Louhi from Kalevala, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louhi
Yeah but most Finns don't even speak english like that.
That way of talking english was mainly popularized by formula and rally drivers, it's kind of a joke these days.
But it's fine, he's supposed to be an older dude so makes sense for him to have that accent, I just find it super silly sounding.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Yeah but most Finns don't even speak english like that.
That way of talking english was mainly popularized by formula and rally drivers, it's kind of a joke these days.
But it's fine, he's supposed to be an older dude so makes sense for him to have that accent, I just find it super silly sounding.

Rallienglanti is best englanti ;)

I think it works ok for Ahti, especially If there is story to him. Also afaik actor hasn't done English roles before.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Getting some Shining vibes, but it's a bit rough around the edges. Nonetheless, still looks like a must buy for me.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Showing internal monologue of the main character is probably Remedy's way of not having much faith in the player to piece the story together themselves. Lessons learnt from Quantum break i guess which I assume Remedy thought would blow people minds.

i am not much of a shooter guy so current gameplay is just good enough for me. I am mainly in for the story.

The combat music though...is horrible.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I think it works ok for Ahti, especially If there is story to him. Also afaik actor hasn't done English roles before.
He's done little bit of acting in English before, not a lot though. https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-10844311 They also wanted an actor who could sing. I assume they are intentionally hamming it up a bit, goes well with all the Finnish phrases directly translated to English.

But yeah, I'm really excited about having Suosalo in the game and about all the apparent Finnish influences. It's from a Finnish studio afterall, so let it show. As Sami Järvi (Sam Lake) says in the interview, there's a lot of rich culture in Finland and we are often way too modest about it. So I love it that they wanted to take a bit of distance from just US popculture, it gives something unique to the game and it's world. If most people can appreciate it, is still left to be seen. I'm thrilled atleast, I take it as representation we don't usually get.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
I don't want this to sound petty but I really hope they change the subtitle font/this font is not final. The current choice is hideous and stands out very strongly.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
This looks really good, the story really has me interested. I might try Quantum Break again, I was liking the beginning but the controls got way too complicated for me, with all the special moves.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The problem I have with this is the same problem I had with Quantum Break: the character models and animation.

On one hand you have an amazing looking game visually, but then the character models, faces and their movement and animation is awful which totally breaks the experience. And I'm not expecting Naughty Dog level animation at all, as there are plenty of AA titles with decent enough animation. But it just looks off in this and QB.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
As someone that loves low-budget sci-fi movies this is right up my street. I liked Quantum Break too.

I think this looks graphically brilliant, But then, effects is where it's at. The more stuff whizzing around a screen, the better.