• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand the end of year list making of Untitled Goose Game. Seen it a few times now

I get the appeal, I do. I just personally find it an enjoyable yet short term novelty product that's mostly one-note

I mean it's not been a stellar year for gaming IMO but mostly solid and more deserving candidates are out there. To each their own though of course

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't think it's all hype and "memes" that's led to UGG being in pretty much all of these lists. there's certainly something about the game that resonates with people and makes it stand out.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the end of year list making of Untitled Goose Game. Seen it a few times now

I get the appeal, I do. I just personally find it an enjoyable yet short term novelty product that's mostly one-note

I mean it's not been a stellar year for gaming IMO but mostly solid and more deserving candidates are out there. To each their own though of course

I bounced off the game incredibly quickly once I realised I wasn't that interested in it beyond the charm and humour of controlling a shithouse goose.

However my 7 y/o daughter absolutely adores it, and it's the first time I've seen my Mum engage with a videogame in nearly 30 years. Tough to quantify in terms of GOTY but, that game definitely has something about it and I'm ok with it being represented.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I bounced off the game incredibly quickly once I realised I wasn't that interested in it beyond the charm and humour of controlling a shithouse goose.

However my 7 y/o daughter absolutely adores it, and it's the first time I've seen my Mum engage with a videogame in nearly 30 years. Tough to quantify in terms of GOTY but, that game definitely has something about it and I'm ok with it being represented.

I hear ya. I went through the same type of feels with Goat Simulator and my 11 year old daughter loved that

I have no inclination to return to UGG as the novelty for me has worn off - I just wondered how many are including it in the GOTY awards due to the novelty or not

Either way I guess is fine.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I'm a bit suprised at UGG getting on any lists. You just arse about for a couple of hours and then... Nothing?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
More legit list than most of the gaming outlets lists, and also than Game Awards. Good on you, Financial Times.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Disco and Baba are on there, good list!

I also don't really get why goose game is on so many lists - It's a fun little game, sure, but I don't get how it's one of the best games of the year.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
As it's behind a paywall I can't see who wrote it, but they clearly know their stuff.

When did the FT get into gaming

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Disco is a good choice. Others are solid games too.

Though I bought Telling Lies but I didn't click with it, personally.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
'For an RPG experience with less sparkle but more depth, Disco Elysium follows an amnesiac detective who wakes up with a monstrous hangover and a murder to solve. Instead of combat the game revels in the subtleties of conversation, offering the opportunity to truly shape the nuances of your character, backed by some of the deftest writing the genre has seen in years.'

Leaving a couple of things about Disco Elysium out to trick the FT's readership into playing it, I like it.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'For an RPG experience with less sparkle but more depth, Disco Elysium follows an amnesiac detective who wakes up with a monstrous hangover and a murder to solve. Instead of combat the game revels in the subtleties of conversation, offering the opportunity to truly shape the nuances of your character, backed by some of the deftest writing the genre has seen in years.'

Leaving a couple of things about Disco Elysium out to trick the FT's readership into playing it, I like it.
It has the Light Bending Mega Rich Guy, clear GOTY.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

Don't tell them about the communist bit!

financial post's top 10 video games of 2019
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Wait, we actually take the Game Awards seriously now? I thought it was just a meme.

Well, tbf, the Games nominated and the ones that win are chosen by a committee of 80 different outlets. So you have a lot of people voting on games than your typical list.

Also I don't disagree with any of the nominees for GoTY at the VGAs. However, I am baffled that some were missing on the list like DMCV, Fire Emblem, and Disco Elysium.

As far as the list in question goes, I don't have issues with it besides Sekiro missing lol