• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Geoff has really out done himself. So far this is absolutely excellent. Well written, wonderful construction to the "pages" and interactivity, and doing a great job exploring the history and going on's at Valve!

3FaxLIr.png

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just finished reading it , wow took me 2 hours.

basically, they claims that most of their cancelled projects is due to the broken Source Engine 2, but the engine is fine and stable now. At the end of the documentary, they seems to imply they are working on a hardware, possibly a better VR headset in the future.
It has tons of spoilers for Half-Life: Alyx so beware

they also said they originally want Half-Life VR to be a mere 5 hours experience with Half-Life 2 assets, and they removed a mini shooting game with reused Half Life 2 assets for The Lab VR. Also bunch of beta videos, concept arts, idea and they also mentioned that the original protagonist for HL Alyx was a new female character (her model was used in the game but for shadow).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

basically, they claims that most of their cancelled projects is due to the broken Source Engine 2, but the engine is fine and stable now. At the end of the documentary, they seems to imply they are working on a hardware, possibly a better VR headset in the future.
Its probably related to Machine Brain Interface. Its a thing GabeN talks a lot about (and that they are researching on there I think?).

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I wrote up some of Keighley's biggest reveals:

The app's biggest dirt, arguably, is its confirmation of exactly what started and stopped within Valve on the way to getting Half-Life: Alyx out the door this March. That includes Half-Life 3—and it is a much firmer account of Valve's history than what IGN reported earlier this year.

As described, however, this "HL3," which began life in the early '10s, would have been very different than what fans might have expected from a full-fledged Half-Life sequel. Inspired by Left 4 Dead, this non-VR version of Half-Life would have revolved around combat sequences through procedurally generated towers and buildings, chained together by crafted plot events.

More here:

arstechnica.com

Valve secrets spill over—including Half-Life 3—in new Steam documentary app

No VR headset is required to dive into this $10 multimedia explosion.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

It has tons of spoilers for Half-Life: Alyx so beware

they also said they originally want Half-Life VR to be a mere 5 hours experience with Half-Life 2 assets, and they removed a mini shooting game with reused Half Life 2 assets for The Lab VR. Also bunch of beta videos, concept arts, idea and they also mentioned that the original protagonist for HL Alyx was a new female character (her model was used in the game but for shadow).
Its probably related to Machine Brain Interface. Its a thing GabeN talks a lot about (and that they are researching on there I think?).

In their interview for Edge magazine, they confirmed more hardware on the way. Also the topic of Steam hardware for the lounge etc:

But, Valve has more hardware projects in the works, and that dream of living-room PC gaming might not be as dead as it seems. "We have really exciting things on our trajectory to help expand the places you can play your Steam games that are not VR-related," Selan says. "We're nnot talking about those today, but there are more things coming"

Jaysc

Oct 25, 2017
I've just finished reading it all. Absolutely amazing to read how the culture at Valve evolved over the years.

In esseance, it sounds like it was down to the scale of the engine. Numerous teams had innovative ideas that they wanted to push, but the engine wasn't there to support it all. That said, the working culture with a leaderless enviroment also caused some issues. While I agree having no decider can greatly improve innovation, sometimes you someone to give the final push. It reads like they won't change to something like that, but at least they are aware of the difficulty this sort of enviroment can bring.

Lastly, with the engine fully done, now they have the ability to continue or spin up lots of new projects that they always wanted to produce. It'll be exciting to see what things they create next.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to the latest edition of Geoff Keighley's Final Hours documentary series, The Final Hours of Half-Life: Alyx (which is excellent, by the way), we now know details of some of the games Valve worked on and canceled in the last 10 years or so. And yes, they include third entries for Half-Life and Left 4 Dead. From IGN:

Within the story, Keighley reveals that at least 5 Half-Life games (not all of which are mentioned specifcially in the text) were cancelled between Episode 2 and Alyx, along with a number of other projects - the most notable being a project officially referred to within Valve as Half-Life 3.

Here's every cancelled Valve project mentioned, and the details provided on them:
  • Half-Life 3: Created in the Source 2 engine and drawing some gameplay inspiration from Left 4 Dead, the project known as Half-Life 3 would have used procedural generation between hand-crafted story moments to create a more replayable game. For instance, the game would generate a building and an objective (such as rescuing a prisoner), then create a route through it and fill the building with enemies, meaning that section would always play out differently. The team went as far as scanning Frank Sheldon, the actor whose likeness was used for the series' G-Man [IGN is a little inaccurate here. The scan was done years before this Half-Life 3 was started]. However the Source 2 engine was unfinished, and the project "didn't get very far" before it was dropped. It was in development for around a year between 2013 and 2014.
  • Left 4 Dead 3: An open world game set in Morocco and potentially featuring featuring hundreds of zombies at a time, this was also deemed unworkable because of the unfinished Source 2.
  • RPG: This RPG project was simply codenamed 'RPG', drawing inspiration from the likes of The Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls and Monster Hunter, and was envisaged as being released in small chunks, but "never really left the conceptual stage". After RPG was abandoned, experiments went into turning it into a single-player RPG based on DOTA character Axe, which were also shelved.
  • A.R.T.I.: A light-hearted, voxel-based game that allowed for open-ended destruction and creation in the vein of Minecraft. One version included Half-Life 2 and Portal writer Erik Wolpaw voicing a character called King Kevin, who had to be broken out of prison using the game's tools. A.R.T.I. was later resurrected as a VR game, but was shelved as Half-Life: Alyx grew.
  • SimTrek: A VR game develoepd by members of the Kerbal Space Prgram team that was also shelved during Alyx's development.
  • Shooter: A Half-Life themed VR shooter that would have been a part of The Lab, Valve's VR showcase. Using only Half-Life 2 assets, it would have had players take part in short gunfights, and was designed more like a Half-Life theme park ride than an continuation of its story. However, it was deemed not to be ready in time for The Lab's release.
  • Borealis: A Half-Life VR project, led by writer Marc Laidlaw, that would have been set on the time-travelling ship mentioned in Half-Life 2. Skipping between the Half-Life series' Seven Hour War, and a time period shortly after Half-Life 2: Episode 2, no gameplay details were revealed, aside from that it included a fishing minigame.
  • Hot Dog - Another new take on Left 4 Dead, purposely codenamed so that people on the Internet wouldn't know it was a Left 4 Dead game. No details were revealed.
  • Vader - Valve's first internal attempt to create a VR headset. Vader was designed without compromise, but was scrapped when it became clear that it was too ambitious. The team estimates it would have cost $5,000 per unit if released. Half-Life: Alyx was initially conceived to launch alongside Vader.

But before you get too despondent:

As for what Valve has coming next, Keighley explains that much of the team would like to work on a full-scale, non-VR Half-Life game, but that there is trepidation over the scale of such a project. Encouragingly, however, Valve's Phil Co explains that, after Half-Life: Alyx's release and success, "We're not afraid of Half-Life no more". The Alyx team has previously told us that it wants to make more Half-Life games.

It's also mentioned that a "top secret project" is still in development at Valve, and has been since 2018 - although no hint is given as to what that might be.

More from my reading of the documentary so far:
  • Valve was working on Half-Life 2: Episode 3 in 2008, but was struggling to innovate in gameplay, problems that were exacerbated by the Source engine. Eventually, the team working on that was called in to finish Left 4 Dead and then work on Left 4 Dead 2. Meanwhile, some of the programmers took that time to build a new engine that could be ready for when the company returned to Half-Life. And thus Source 2 was born.
  • In summer 2010, as an internal demonstration of Source 2, the plantation from the Swamp Fever campaign in Left 4 Dead 2 was rebuilt in the new engine. There's a short video of the demonstration in The Final Hours.
  • Left 4 Dead 3 was in development in 2013 with a team of nearly 30 people.
  • As part of Halo-Life 3, the team ported 350 "entities" (characters, objects, and other files) from Half-Life 2 to Source 2.
  • The IGN article is a little misleading. Frank Sheldon was not scanned for Half-Life 3. He was scanned in 2010, long before the Half-Life 3 mentioned in the documentary.
  • To quote Dave Speyrer, who headed up the HL3 team. "There was no lighting solution, no save and restore, no visibility solution. A huge amount of tech was needed and we honestly didn't get very far."
  • There are screenshots of A.R.T.I. in the documentary. It is adorable and definitely reminiscent of Minecraft.
  • There are even pages from a work-in-progress script for A.R.T.I.
  • According to a timeline in the documentary:
    • RPG started development in spring 2012 and lasted until late summer 2014.
    • Half-Life 3 was spring 2013 to early summer 2014.
    • Left 4 Dead 3 was from about the same time Half-Life 3 started but was paused a little sooner, spring 2014.
    • A.R.T.I. was late 2013 all the way into summer 2017.
    • Borealis VR was early 2015 to early winter 2015.
    • HOT DOG was fall 2015 to early 2016
Ars Technica also did a write-up and included a handful of screenshots of A.R.T.I. and Shooter.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
I read 3 chapters so far. It's very interesting.

Also people there's a 3D tour of the office you can navigate through in different ways. They mapped it using photogammetry.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
www.resetera.com

"The Final Hours of Half-Life: Alyx" by Geoff Keighney is available now

As shown by our Doritos resident Geoff Keighley I am so incredibly hyped about this, not only because it’ll show a lot of stuff about the development of Alyx itself but because it’ll apparently also talk a little about what projects Valve has been working on for the previous 10 years.

I think these things are being discussed in this thread.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

In the interactive documentary, Jeremy hints that the Index is 'two years old technology' by this point, and that "the push into VR, and perhaps other types of hardware, will continue". They are definitely talking about VR. But that might also be part of the brain-computer interfaces thing that Newell is talking about.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the time to go through.
What an amazing read, really great insight into such a secretive company. Also full of hope.

BUT you got me with your cheeky Headcrab jumpscare Geoff Keighley , so I had to give it a thumbs down review, not recommended on my Curator Page, refunded the game and burnt my HDD.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20200709205517_1.jpg

Oh yeah nice jab at Artifact. Its release date in 2018 is never shown on these graphs, lol. Only the announcement.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving this virtual tour of Valve's office.

edit: Just finished it. That was great.

Last edited:

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Really nice to have some closure on what's been going on at Valve. Really seemed like an era of growing pains and wanting to spread themselves too thin and work on too many things at once. A few of those projects were shelved straight up because Source 2 wasn't finished. Now that it is, I wonder if those are what's coming next. Not super sold on that idea of Half-Life 3 to be perfectly honest but they wouldn't release it if they weren't happy with it if this 10 years of nothing was anything to go by.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda crazy how little of what was revealed in this project has permeated to other parts of the web. No-one seems to be talking about this. Am I just not seeing it? Like we just learned about multiple cancelled Valve games. Maybe people don't care that much anymore.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
It's kinda crazy how little of what was revealed in this project has permeated to other parts of the web. No-one seems to be talking about this. Am I just not seeing it? Like we just learned about multiple cancelled Valve games. Maybe people don't care that much anymore.
Im surprised I didn't see a thread either, but maybe it was just what we all assumed? They were working on stuff and when it doesn't work out they don't release it. To be fair valve has been absent for more than a complete console generation.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah, a lot of people have moved on from being interested in Valve's game output

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the most interesting takeaways I had from reading this:

- Pretty much the first thing established in the storyline was the G-man being in the vault, and the objective being to go free him. The Gordon fakeout wasn't added until really late in development.
- We had already seen some of the evolution of Jeff before this, but the whole chapter on him was really neat. I liked that we got to see an animated prototype of the Combine robot version of Jeff. Ultimately the version we got was definitely the right decision though.
- Gabe was on board with the change in Eli Vance's fate. I thought his initial reaction to that would have been a lot different.
- I still think after reading all that, Half-Life 3/whatever Gordon's next adventure is, will come sooner rather than later, like within the next two years. That ending of Alyx pretty clearly stated "It's coming", with literally handing you the crowbar as Gordon.

- Hearing someone tested positive for COVID and they spent the last few weeks developing it remotely was interesting.
- Axe RPG could have been cool. Hell an RPG about a cast of Dota heroes could have been really cool. Given their abilities with the lore and presentation in Artifact, I think they could have easily made something compelling there. Maybe make something involving Axe, Sorla Khan, and Disruptor (Axe's cousin).
- The Minecraft-like project looked weird, and I'm not sure how that would have turned out honestly.
- The replayable version of Half-Life 3 being cancelled was probably for the better. I can't see that kind of thing working out well with Half-Life, but I could be wrong.
- I'd like to see another Left 4 Dead but I definitely agree with the idea of bringing out when they have something truly new for it.
- The approach of Alyx being announced late to avoid getting Valve timed, was a good one. While it was frustrating to not hear anything about Half-Life for years, having it be announced and actually release on the promised date was really cool, and really rare for Valve. The last time I remember something like that happening was for Left 4 Dead 2.
- I had wondered before reading this if Prospero was maybe resurrected and one of the cancelled games, but I guess not. One day I'd like to hear more about Prospero. For those that don't know about Prospero: https://half-life.fandom.com/wiki/Prospero

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Just watched this summary on some of the unfinished products. The way he talks about them being cancelled, it seems like it was often a very technical reason and not anything beyond that, like 'x couldn't be figured out with Source 2' and not 'the game was boring'. Assuming that's true, I wonder if Valve just had a lot of hypothetical savant programmers or something if any of these would have ended up being released, or if there actually were non-technical reasons for most / all cancellations.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I feel like many of people calling for Half-Life 3 all these years ain't being serious. I believe a good portion of them are just in for the joke but they have never touch Half-Life games before.

Just watched this summary on some of the unfinished products. The way he talks about them being cancelled, it seems like it was often a very technical reason and not anything beyond that, like 'x couldn't be figured out with Source 2' and not 'the game was boring'. Assuming that's true, I wonder if Valve just had a lot of hypothetical savant programmers or something if any of these would have ended up being released, or if there actually were non-technical reasons for most / all cancellations.

Yes, the interactive documentary indicates that a good portion of that was due to the unfinished Source 2 engine. The engine is seemingly stable now and they should be able to go forward easier.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
So I was thinking, no mention of any cancelled Portal projects, so must mean they have Portal projects ongoing! right? riiight??

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I mean, I think everyone knew there were a slew of games that were started and never finished. Even for people who don't follow Valve and its data-mines and stuff over the years, no one though Valve literally just never worked on games for that entire time, right?