• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I love that Dali music. Very comforting. Makes me want to journey through magical lands.

In recent memory, the FFX-2 title screen music had me sit for ages just... feeling things.

YES THIS. This song is such a vibe. Makes me want to lie in bed at night and reflect on my life

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This one always does it for me as Red XIII learns about his father and howls into the moon. It's so full of sorrow and pride from the moment.

Yup this is it for me as well. I'm in tears and then Red XIII starts howling a I lose it. Another theme is Interrupted by Fireworks.

Cait Sith becoming sentient right at the end just to sacrifice himself always gets me.

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Final Fantasy overall is so great in this department so I can't just choose only one song.

The first one that comes to mind is Melodies of Life rendition from Distant Worlds. I love the lyrics so much. Susan is so strong is her delivery here too.

Couldn't make this without a song from the original FFVII, a game that makes me so much emotional for a myriad of reasons, even 23 years after. Hell, I am emotional just now listening to it. Tifa's theme is so pure and beautiful and had that air of nostalgia and melancholy.

FFXIII is really divisive and for some good reasons but I always find hard to argue negatively about it's OST. For me it makes justice to Nobuo Uematsu and the game came in just the right moment for me when I played it. Also, ignoring XIV it was the last FF game I was really moved. And FF at that point was still my favorite series. So yeah, Serah's Theme and it's multiple variations still hits me pretty hard

And the last but not least, this version of Memory of the Wind. I just love it. It have that old FF magic for me. I love III so much, always find it underrated along V (that could make the list too with Dear Friends).

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Song of the Stars - FFXV
"Sorrow without Solace" and "Tenebrae" close seconds.

I guess from the older games, the Opera song in VI, especially the live version. And maybe "Sword of doubt" or "Terra" from FFIX.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Jessie's theme, a new song song they actually added for the FF7 franchise (FF7R) is quite beautiful.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just started my yearly check in with FF14. Game is filled with great music. But, my first night in I was standing in a main city when I started hearing a piano version of Gnarls Barkley's Crazy.

I still don't know what was going on.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Always loved Rose of May (Beatrix's theme) in FF9.

That simple piano melody is hauntingly beautiful.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
this thread should be called "how to make you want to play all the ff games ever released".

All of these tracks are so good it's ridiculous. Though hats off to Welcome to Zanarkand for me. The game opens up with that track and right away you know some stuff is going to go down.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Final Fantasy VII's main theme really gets to me. I'm not entirely sure why, since it doesn't play in any particularly emotional moments I can remember. The 1:50 or so mark is where it really kicks in.

My best guess is a combination of nostalgia and the sweeping, genuinely epic feel of it all. Kinda inspirational.

I relate to that strongly. FF7 isn't my fave, and despite being the main theme of the game it's basically just used for world map music. But this song really gets to me.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017

Thinking about the first time I flew off the edge of the continent and discovered it was just a speck in a larger world still gives me The Feels, as the kids are wont to say.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Many of the themes in the PS1 era Final Fantasies make me feel feelings. Dali and Balamb Garden are two of the bigger ones for sure.

And of course this one from VII

I've not played FF XI all that much but I discovered this track recently and I love it.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
They don't make 'em like this any more. A lot of these tracks make me nostalgic for childhood, even though I didn't play some FF games until I was an adult.

aidangs

Jan 8, 2019

It's the Distant Worlds version if that counts, but this is still the most beautiful piece of music ever written for a video game.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Oh my god... I haven't heard the Dali theme in so long. I miss it so much! It's such a cozy and beautiful theme. FFIX has the best music. And is the best FF game of course. I've been wanting to replay it for the longest time now, but I'm too engrossed with FFXIV right now. Curse these lengthy but wonderful, wonderful games!

Aside from FFIX tracks though, gotta mention Somnus. I'm not too fond of FFXV, though I enjoyed it enough, but Somnus really hits hard whenever I hear it. It's such a powerful and emotional theme for me.

Another is Aerith's theme, which doesn't usually get me but... I couldn't stop myself from crying when I heard it in chapter 8 of the remake:

Last edited:

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Most of FFXI's music, particularly around the beginning areas. It just brings back so many memories for me, its somewhat nostalgic, somewhat something else. The time spent hanging out, sun coming up after a long night, I wish I could recapture that magic.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Terra's theme from FFVI Grand Finale soundtrack. Around the 1:45 mark when her theme kicks in, it just gets me. I remember playing the game for the first time, and watching that opening of the mechs walking in the snow with her theme playing... chills.

OP
OP
halcali

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The world is wondrous, but I'm talking about how the music makes you feel: like there's another, even more-wondrous place

Do you know where I live? And anyways, i think you guys understand what I'm trying to express: the ethereal qualities of the music + setting.

I think I always felt that these things were an extension/espression of the real world more than anything. Music and Art are part be being human, and inspired by real experiences.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Dali is a good one OP, I have definitely felt teary eyed after listening to it but

This one always does it for me as Red XIII learns about his father and howls into the moon. It's so full of sorrow and pride from the moment.

I have to go with this one, the strings of the cosmo canyon's theme which in in itself gets me emotional is retuned to be a sad medley which just broke me.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make me cry but I'll be damned if I don't feel things whenever I hear You Can Hear The Cry of The Planet. Especially with what all goes down there.

Haunting stuff

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
Interrupted by Fireworks (FFVII). Everytime. Im crying just thinking about it in FF7R.2...