• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Spehornoob

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'm still happy if they experiment with the series, but some here saying they always moved it that much arround are fooling themselves.

1-4 were round based,
5-9 were atb
10 was again round based.
For essentially the first 10 games, the way you learnd abailities changed (jobs, materia, Junction,...), but once you were in a battle, the gameplay was either think about you characters speed and choose your abilities befor you start, or wait till the ATB bar is full and choose an ability.

11 was an MMO (why not a spinoff? never understood that descision), 13 i dont know (never looked it up, waiting for a switch port), , 14 again an MMO (Why...), and 15 was... a clusterfuck of a battle system.
FF7 remake looks as if it will be what we thought the FF15 system will be, but done right. When you want an ARPG, then the battlesystem needs to bee evaluated as an action battle system to the same degree as an RPG battle system.
(Example: Kingdome Hearts, Tales of,...)

Im one of the people who dont think FF has lost its identity,
but because of troubled development (And baaad decisions... The Movie? The Anime? stuff that should have been in the game. Adding scenes in post? WTF?) we can say that FF15 was a mess.

In other words: Fail faster and clean up your act SE. No mainline FF MMO, no subseries instead of mainline titles (make them parallel to the next mainline, not like ff13), no needlesly splitting (FF15 side content, FF7R...) and... f***, i totally forgot 12. Well, yeah, 12 is pretty different...

A FF16, that is only that, one game with good gameplay and story, without trying to recreate "Compilation of FF7".
I like a lot of this post but I would say don't sleep on XIV, even if you don't generally dig MMOs!

Shadowbringers is legit the most satisfying Final Fantasy product in like 15 years, narrative and all.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Nah, if you draw magic from monsters as you go along you have a power curve that pretty closely resembles the advancement in any given JRPG. Draw is the core system, TT is an optional minigame with some very exploitable rewards. Many players don't even engage properly with the junctioning system let alone with TT and desynthing cards, I think it's clear that the draw system is intended to be the cornerstone of the progression system.
Well, how "much" should jou junction in a normal progression? When you see a new spell, a view times?
till you have 100? till all chars have 100?
You basically break disc 1 just by havin 100 aqua (1h of play) and junction it to strength with squall.
From the moment that balamb garden is usable, i found a view junction points for ultima
and squall got broken for the rest of the game.

I've replayed the game last year: 29 Hours, all G.F. almost maxed out, and for the last third my strategy was:
squall: Mug, make 6-8k damage.Occasionaly limit break. (maybe an aura cast)
Selphie: Heal squall.
Xell: do whatever. maybe draw? maybe attack? heal? i don't care.

And i have NOT used the card junction more than 2x (just for material for squals weapon). I played the cardgame for a view hours, but just for fun, didnt even start the quest.

The game was broken, unbalancable by default....and i love it for that. It is not a balanced game. The enemy variety is really small, only 6 characters, but it was fun to find broken combinations early on, in FF7 and 6 you had to wait for later game, and change your strategy more often.

I like a lot of this post but I would say don't sleep on XIV, even if you don't generally dig MMOs!

Shadowbringers is legit the most satisfying Final Fantasy product in like 15 years, narrative and all.
A lot of people said that. I was always more a fan of the fantasy style of 6-9 (tech, more current day flaire, ...).
Its just... to be able to have fun with the content of shadowbringer i would need to play a MMO for hours on end, alone.
I dont have the right friends for that, not the right pc (13" thin and light, maybe on switch?), and won't model my play schedule around other people.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
User Warned: Hostility
I beat VIII like three times before I figured out how you could refine cards, so yeah.

Not sure if you realize how sad this is, honestly.

If you're reading instructions and not trying to speed through the game like it's FF7, the playing card mechanic becomes obvious very quickly, as does the fact that refining cards is far, far more efficient than spending an hour drawing them from random encounters.

There's a reason those mechanics were included, and why Triple Triad is far more integrated into FF8 than Tetra Master is into FF9. The designers obviously can't plan for impossibly dense players, but I assume that's why the option to play it the "classic" way still exists, though it's not all that ideal.

That being said, the conversation has outlived it's usefulness. Enjoy yourselves.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
11 and 14 are genuinely some of the best games in the series, period. Even though I don't love MMOs much, these two games have narratives that are genuinely unchallenged.

I want the single player games to take more from them.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you're reading instructions and not trying to speed through the game like it's FF7, the playing card mechanic becomes obvious very quickly, as does the fact that refining cards is far, far more efficient than spending an hour drawing them from random encounters.

There's a reason those mechanics were included, and why Triple Triad is far more integrated into FF8 than Tetra Master is into FF9. The designers obviously can't plan for impossibly dense players, but I assume that's why the option to play it the "classic" way still exists, though it's not all that ideal.

That being said, the conversation has outlived it's usefulness. Enjoy yourselves.

I really don't have a horse in this race one or the other but thanks to you calling me 'impossibly dense' for missing out on a relatively non vital part of the gameplay (yes I was able to beat the game without card refining) I have no problem in telling you that you can go fuck yourself. Have a nice day.

OP
OP
Spehornoob

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
11 and 14 are genuinely some of the best games in the series, period. Even though I don't love MMOs much, these two games have narratives that are genuinely unchallenged.

I want the single player games to take more from them.
I think the rumor is that Yoshi-P's studio is working on the XVI. Though I don't know how directly involved he would be since he's pretty involved with XIV.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Monsters both have spells you can junction and drop items that can be refined into spells, if you discover the refining system at all which you really don't need to. Draw points, normal encounters, etc, these naturally give you more than enough to work with and smart junctioning can make your core party more than any monster can handle without exploring subsystems at all. Card Mod is not an emphasized gameplay system; the Draw system is. It's a system immediately available to you and heavily tutorialized which feeds directly into junctioning. By comparison, Card Mod is available only if you claim it, is one of many abilities that refine spells, and is completely unnecessary. Implying players are "impossibly dense" for missing it is a real bad look to be honest.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
14 system is perfect in my opinion.

They can make it slightly faster to more suit a single player FF and that would great.

Just anything is better than 15's crap ADB (animation delay battle) system

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
I feel like FF is bound together more by shared aesthetics than any sort of gameplay 'identity', and I think it's better for it. Let each game come up with its own gameplay systems I say.

OP
OP
Spehornoob

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
14 system is perfect in my opinion.

They can make it slightly faster to more suit a single player FF and that would great.

Just anything is better than 15's crap ADB (animation delay battle) system
The problem with transplanting XIV's system to a single play FF is that, for me, I really want to have some form of control over my party. And I don't think XIV's system allows for that. That's why I'm really psyched with what I've seen of VII Remake's combat system.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with transplanting XIV's system to a single play FF is that, for me, I really want to have some form of control over my party. And I don't think XIV's system allows for that. That's why I'm really psyched with what I've seen of VII Remake's combat system.
I'm with you on this, and would generally caution that while MMO combat feels great in MMOs and the specific sorts of group encounters designed around them, it generally doesn't feel great for a single-player experience. A rotation is a thing of beauty when it's being executed competitively with a large group that has to coordinate to survive, but it feels a lot like filing paperwork in a vacuum.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed.... if that mean a return of atb and more importantly control of the whole team.

Sadly ( for me ) if they were to decide for a new core gameplay identity, it's name would be "real time action".

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Agreed.... if that mean a return of atb and more importantly control of the whole team.

Sadly ( for me ) if they were to decide for a new core gameplay identity, it's name would be "real time action".
if it happens, it happens. As long as they commit to something, and dont do it halfhartedly like in FF15.
Octopath Travler was a great example for a Turn based system, Kindgome Hearts (and hopefully FF7) is a great example for Action based.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Square-Enix can handle character action, nor do I think they can handle turn-based games either. I have a deep love for FF games prior to X and beyond, but I think the days of them making magical games are gone. I'm not sure they are properly equipped to return to form as it's not even the same people working on the games.

The general reviews and reception for Shadowbringers says otherwise.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Although it's probably not what you're looking for, VII: Remake does have full party control and a mode you can toggle that plays a lot like ATB.

OP
OP
Spehornoob

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
The general reviews and reception for Shadowbringers says otherwise.
I legit felt like a kid again when I hit the end of Shadowbringers. I got the same feelings I used to get playing older FF games. Whatever they do with XVI, they should at least incorporate some of the writing team from XIV, because goddamn

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't mind everything playing like ff7:r. It's totally awesome and a great balance between real time and strategy.

OP
OP
Spehornoob

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'll concede that. I should reframe it to include that I could not and will not ever care about MMORPGs. If that becomes the company's niche, then fair play.
So please don't take this as pressuring you, because XIV won't change your mind on MMOs I'm sure, but for those of us who can stand that gameplay style, the story and narrative are peak Final Fantasy. It honestly restored some of my faith in the brand after pretty much not liking anything since XII, and its one of the reasons I'm keeping some optimism for the future of the series, starting with being a bit hyped for VII Remake.

Edit: I should clarify that it's the expansions where the narrative really begins to shine. The base game is okay, but can be a slog.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I agree and disagree at the same time.
I want the old... and I want the new.

On a larger note I think FF has lost it's identity... XV was alright but the world was just texas. with weird rock formations....
I think a bigger problem is how do you make a game more realistic without being boring.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm with you on this, and would generally caution that while MMO combat feels great in MMOs and the specific sorts of group encounters designed around them, it generally doesn't feel great for a single-player experience. A rotation is a thing of beauty when it's being executed competitively with a large group that has to coordinate to survive, but it feels a lot like filing paperwork in a vacuum.
So what you're saying is XVI needs to be a multiplayer game to succeed

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
So please don't take this as pressuring you, because XIV won't change your mind on MMOs I'm sure, but for those of us who can stand that gameplay style, the story and narrative are peak Final Fantasy. It honestly restored some of my faith in the brand after pretty much not liking anything since XII, and its one of the reasons I'm keeping some optimism for the future of the series, starting with being a bit hyped for VII Remake.

Edit: I should clarify that it's the expansions where the narrative really begins to shine. The base game is okay, but can be a slog.
No thank you. MMORPGs are not a thing I'm even remotely interested in, but I do appreciate what Shadowbringers has done for many people. It does receive a ton of Era support and praise.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For real, I'd be up for a FINAL FANTASY subscription to replace the FFXIV sub that basically gives you access to all (and funds any future) MMOs.

Basically like how MS uses gamepass money to fund the development of their games.

I know that sounds like a nightmare scenario, but it's basically what we have at the moment with XIV, except also giving access to XI.

I think that'd encourage people to keep their subs running, and encourage SE to keep supporting and running past MMOs.

OP
OP
Spehornoob

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
For real, I'd be up for a FINAL FANTASY subscription to replace the FFXIV sub that basically gives you access to all (and funds any future) MMOs.

Basically like how MS uses gamepass money to fund the development of their games.

I know that sounds like a nightmare scenario, but it's basically what we have at the moment with XIV, except also giving access to XI.

I think that'd encourage people to keep their subs running, and encourage SE to keep supporting and running past MMOs.
I'm kind of hoping they do add XI to the XIV sub as well, just because I'd like to give XI a real shot. But I also would prefer that they not make any new MMOs as long as XIV is still a huge success.

Oct 31, 2017
Also, I think I'd be fine but:

1. Don't make the combat super basic/uninteresting. I love Final Fantasy X but the combat is just so... ordinary and uninteresting. Pales in comparison to stuff like Baten Kaitos, Chrono Cross, Grandia, Resonance of Fate, Shadow Hearts, etc.

2. Don't make the gameplay heavily inspired by MMO's. Nothing like XII ever again, please. Idc what people here say, the actual combat of XII is boring as fucking sin no matter how you set it up

3. In terms of character progression, I LOVE stuff like the Sphere Grid and the Crystarium in XIII and XIII-2. Don't do anything like the License Board in XII again, or half-assed and almost useless like Ascension in XV

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of hoping they do add XI to the XIV sub as well, just because I'd like to give XI a real shot. But I also would prefer that they not make any new MMOs as long as XIV is still a huge success.
Oh yeah absolutely. But let's imagine in 10 years time when XIV is in its twilight years, and there likely is a new MMO out. I'd be way more likely to keep my sub running when I'm not active on FFXVII or whatever, if I know there'll be two more games to go back to in XI and XIV. Like way more likely.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017

It wouldn't be too difficult to have character switching or even a 12 like gambit system.

OP
OP
Spehornoob

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I would honestly be fine with duologies, trilogies are a bit much tho
I really don't expect multi-parters to become the new normal for the series. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm taking Square at their word that the narrative and world of VII are just too damn big to remake with modern production values in one game.

Unless of course the VII-R series does insane gangbusters.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those games were considered a golden age because the series was able to blend gameplay, story, and music perfectly.

It wasn't because the gameplay was the sole reason of its success and glamour. If that was the case 13-2 would be seen as one of the series best.

The argument for most modern games is the story is incomplete or incomprehensible because you need to study a encyclopedia to understand everything, the open world is cheap or linear, and other mechanics that we're used in other games don't make a return or aren't implemented in a satisfying way. That and the whole press X to win stuff people have been arguing about the games since 13.

The series is headed in the right direction where it needs to go. Final Fantasy was always fated to go from turn based to real time combat. Reverting back to the older mechanics is only regressing the series and not getting straight to the real issues plaguing the current games in series.

OP
OP
Spehornoob

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Those games were considered a golden age because the series was able to blend gameplay, story, and music perfectly.

It wasn't because the gameplay was the sole reason of its success and glamour. If that was the case 13-2 would be seen as one of the series best.

The argument for most modern games is the story is incomplete or incomprehensible because you need to study a encyclopedia to understand everything, the open world is cheap or linear, and other mechanics that we're used in other games don't make a return or aren't implemented in a satisfying way. That and the whole press X to win stuff people have been arguing about the games since 13.

The series is headed in the right direction where it needs to go. Final Fantasy was always fated to go from turn based to real time combat. Reverting back to the older mechanics is only regressing the series and not getting straight to the real issues plaguing the current games in series.
I'm not arguing to go back to turn-based. I'm arguing that some sort of base foundation of gameplay for the series should be established rather than reinventing the wheel every installment.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more disappointed by the story telling than the battle systems. Just give me a coherent complete story INSIDE the game. No expanded media. Also SHOW me when stuff happens. Don't tell me. Three houses did this a lot. I understand if you want me to play a different route but don't just off handedly tell me "hey this important battle happened and blank died or lived".

FFXIV and DQ being in such a good place really softens the blow of mediocre FF games though. Plus Bravely Default is back.

Oct 31, 2017
I really don't expect multi-parters to become the new normal for the series. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm taking Square at their word that the narrative and world of VII are just too damn big to remake with modern production values in one game.

Unless of course the VII-R series does insane gangbusters.

Ugh I just don't want them to compensate story-wise by making the games much smaller scale/having low environment variety

But it's too early to worry about that. Only FF that felt small was XV IMO

Aether

Jan 6, 2018

Good one. The games were simpler in all elementy by themeselves (well, Story was convoluted since 7), but the elements worked for the time you played. You didn't have ultra freedome, but you didn't need to.
Again, with 8: Some of the places look huge (Lunatic Pandora, Esthar City). You could not go everywhere you wanted, but you gut the feeling: ok, this is a huge futuristic city. The music was midi, but the chosen sounds, the compositions, that where the right amount ofsimple and complex. The games had rough edges, but you moved from charming moment to charming moment so fast, that you ignore them.
Only gripe looking back: speed. Some parts would take forever without 3x in the newer ports, especially if you overlooked something and needed to run back. (that happend a lot with the prerendered backgrounds and the jaggy collision in some places)

OP
OP
Spehornoob

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Ugh I just don't want them to compensate story-wise by making the games much smaller scale/having low environment variety

But it's too early to worry about that. Only FF that felt small was XV IMO
The thing is that FF used to do the "illusion" of large worlds well (via zones, world maps, etc...) and then reinforced that with strong stories and narratives.

XV just dropped you into a big empty few miles of open world that probably took a ton of resources to make and had you do everything at whatever pace you wanted.

Honestly, I don't think that level of openness is useful for the Final Fantasy series.

Kerwop

Dec 15, 2017
I know what you mean. FFI through IX feel like a coherent series. They did indeed change a lot between installments but I felt very comfortable jumping from one to the other. I played VII when it came out and went back and played VI and then moved to VIII. The combat, how the world was structured (world map, towns, dungeons), interface etc were all immediately familiar to me. Whenever this topic gets brought up I find people overrate how much changed between the SNES and PS1 games.

Nothing seems to tie together the modern entries aside from having much larger budgets than other JRPGs and having FF window dressing (chocobos etc). If someone loves X it doesn't have much bearing on how much they'll like XII. Same with XII to XIII or XIII to XV. If someone told me they love VI or VII for example I could easily recommend they give other SNES or PS1 installments a shot.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I feel like they should continue to experiment, they're the only company not afraid to do so. What they should have done is split the series into their own sub series. One retro/atb, online, and main series that continues to experiment.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm picturing something that's like FF13 but the battle menu is purely to switch classes (left/right switch character, up/down switch class) and each character has a meter and you can press that character's button to use the meter to interrupt & do special moves.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I know what you mean. FFI through IX feel like a coherent series. They did indeed change a lot between installments but I felt very comfortable jumping from one to the other. I played VII when it came out and went back and played VI and then moved to VIII. The combat, how the world was structured (world map, towns, dungeons), interface etc were all immediately familiar to me. Whenever this topic gets brought up I find people overrate how much changed between the SNES and PS1 games.

Nothing seems to tie together the modern entries aside from having much larger budgets than other JRPGs and having FF window dressing (chocobos etc). If someone loves X it doesn't have much bearing on how much they'll like XII. Same with XII to XIII or XIII to XV. If someone told me they love VI or VII for example I could easily recommend they give other SNES or PS1 installments a shot.
I'm sure everyone loved the heck out of FF8 and reminded them of FF6 and FF7

Come on...

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Can you go into detail on why you don't think they play similarly? They all use a variation of the ATB Combat system introduced in IV. The systems surrounding them change drastically, but that core combat gameplay of waiting for the ATB bar to fill and issuing a command via a menu is very similar between all of them.

That's what I mean. It's possible to innovate and experiment without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Saying they play nothing like each other is a bit of a stretch. They're all the same, except one you put magic in items, one you pull it out of a rock, and one you use normally.
I think they play similarity, they just use different styles of limit breaks and have different novelties to how you level up. 'Every FF is different' I find to be a fallacy, it doesn't excsuse throwing the name on any old crap, in my opinion.
Yep, I agree. I've been saying this for a while now. Although you're focusing on the battle system only, I think the whole series is a mess right now, and it's the reason it's become so mediocre. Sakaguchi leaving Square left FF with no identity.

VII, VIII and IX play almost exactly the same. Equipment and character progression is different, but the actual combat and general gameplay is the same.

A bar filling up seldom means it's the same system. The core elements that makes the battle systems are so absurdly different it would be calling grape wine and grape juice to be the same thing. One of the PS1 FF ditched equipment almost entirely, one teaches skills through them, another one has a materia system. The queue system, battle speed, the flow of matches, jobs are all so different.

Disgaea is the same across entries. Valkyria Chronicles is the same across entries. Final Fantasy is not and it rang true since Final Fantasy Two.

All this "similar identity" and "golden age" spiel just serves to reinforce and legitimize your favourites akin to insert a square peg in a round hole.

Is it as good as 6 or 7? no, it is clearly rushed and is flawed.
Is the hate it gets the last view years overblown?
Definitly, it was way better received back then.
I'm not saying FF8 is worse. But saying that people felt comfortable jumping from one to the other is claiming something that the truth doesn't agree on.

Oct 31, 2017
The thing is that FF used to do the "illusion" of large worlds well (via zones, world maps, etc...) and then reinforced that with strong stories and narratives.

XV just dropped you into a big empty few miles of open world that probably took a ton of resources to make and had you do everything at whatever pace you wanted.

Honestly, I don't think that level of openness is useful for the Final Fantasy series.

Ur right. It isn't, at all.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
I like FF12 and FF14 as modern FF battle systems.

FF10-2 was the best of ATB in my view but FF13's probably the final evolution of That system...