• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Games confirmed for Mega Drive Mini:

- Columns
- Monster World 4
- Dynamite Headdy
- Assault Suit Leynos (aka Target Earth)
- Langrisser 2 (never released out of Japan)
- Alisia Dragoon
- Road Rash 2
- Slap Fight MD (never released out of Japan)
- Snow Bros. (never released out of Japan)
- Lord Monarch (never released out of Japan)

So yeah, we're gonna be getting like 5 US exclusive games.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If Falcom was going to license one of their games, they should have released YS 3.

I don't care that much for the game, but we would have gotten the epic US BOXART of that game with Yuzo Koshiro music in the background. Genesis does what Nintendon't

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
At least my hopes for RKA and Ristar aren't completely dashed yet, since it looks like the Western line-up for the final ten is going to be very different.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Does it really matter what the final list of games is? We'll be able to add our own games in a few months time anyway. I'm just glad we're getting a competent piece of hardware and emulator.

I will definitely be adding Aladdin, Rocket Knight, and Sonic 3 down the road. Until then, the current list is fantastic anyway.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Sonic 3 was never going to be in the MD mini fwiw. They have a one game per franchise rule and they've stuck to it.

There's still hope!

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
So Slap Fight and Snow Bros. are Toaplan games. That company went bankrupt in 1994 ... I wonder who has the rights to these IPs now.

BTW, Toaplan also made ... Zero Wing. Wonder if we get that in the West. (It's a good game outside of the hilarious opening translation!)

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give them credit, they picked games that never gotten re-releases, and I always find that really neat since it means more people can experience them. Not to mention from what I'm hearing, some of these games are super expensive/rare.

I look forward to waking up & reading what the US will be getting. God, please confirm Rocket Knight Adventures....and maybe Aladdin......also perhaps throw in Alien Soldier.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Complete list? Please
JP:

Castlevania Bloodlines
Comix Zone
Contra: Hard Corps
Dyna Brothers 2: Sega Channel Special
Game no Kanzume Otokuyou

Ghouls & Ghosts
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Madō Monogatari
Musha Aleste: Fullmetal Fighter Ellinor
Party Quiz Mega Q
Phantasy Star IV
Puyo Puyo Tsu
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
Rent a Hero

Rockman Megaworld
Shining Force
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier 2
Street Fighter II' Champion Edition
Streets of Rage 2
Super Fantasy Zone
The Hybrid Front
The Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis)
The Super Shinobi (Revenge of Shinobi)
Thunder Force 3
World of Illusion
Wrestleball
Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen

plus

Columns
Monster World 4
Dynamite Headdy
Assault Suit Leynos (aka Target Earth)
Langrisser 2
Alisia Dragoon
Road Rash 2
Slap Fight MD
Snow Bros.
Lord Monarch

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Liquid Kids is the truly lost in time gem

Oooh, yes, that's another, good point.

There's probably a reasonable argument that you should trace the genre back to Space Panic, but they really blossomed around 1990ish.

Edit: In fact: Snow Bros, Rodland, Liquid Kids, all 1990; Parasol Stars and Tumblepop, 1991. They really were bunched right up. In a way it's kind of curious that Bubble Bobble is so much older than these.

Edit2: Wait, no. Liquid Kids isn't part of the genre - I think I was conflating it with the water bubbles from Bubble Bobble.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
So it's confirmed: SEGA lost the rights to resell Sonic 3, lol.

All we can hope now is that Sega does an effort to recuperate the rights, similar to what Nintendo did to regain the rights to Star Fox 2 and Donkey Kong Arcade.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised no Ristar but jesus fuck did they dig deep for this last 10.

No Crusaders of Centy though... :(

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic 3 was never going to be in the MD mini fwiw. They have a one game per franchise rule and they've stuck to it.

There's still hope!

Aside from both Sonic 1 & 2 both being on there, and both Castle & World Of Illusion. It wasn't the most out-there hope, but if it didn't make the JP list, I don't see it making the EU/US list either unfortunately.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I'm only confident about Headdy, Road Rash, and (any) Columns for the western version, even though stuff like Leynos and Alisa have English releases. Might be cool if they give us Warsong though.

I wonder if we'll just get WB in MW instead of MW4.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ristar will be in the western version, that's pretty much a lock, it's in all the compilations. I'll bet Sonic and Knuckles too.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I wouldn't expect them to be as fantastic as the JP version. They might get some games from the JP list, but I expect that the US/European versions will get some garbage like Sonic Spinball & Alex Kidd.
All I'd really like is Rocket Knight Adventures and maybe another EA game since they were able to get them on board.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Aside from both Sonic 1 & 2 both being on there, and both Castle & World Of Illusion. It wasn't the most out-there hope, but if it didn't make the JP list, I don't see it making the EU/US list either unfortunately.
The Japanese version doesn't have any sequels. The US/EU versions having multiple Sonic and Mickey games is exclusive to them.

JP Megadrive Mini only has Sonic 2 and World of Illusion.

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
Hoping for Monster World IV, Ristar, Quackshot, Decap Attack and Global Gladiators (unlikely because of the Mc license). But I'm 100% sure we are getting Kid Chameleon.

Circus Mistery would be cool too.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for RKA and Turtles HH in the western release. Between the Japanese and Western MD Mini + the Steam compilation that's an incredible collection of legally acquirable ROMs.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
JP:

Castlevania Bloodlines
Comix Zone
Contra: Hard Corps
Dyna Brothers 2: Sega Channel Special
Game no Kanzume Otokuyou

Ghouls & Ghosts
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Madō Monogatari
Musha Aleste: Fullmetal Fighter Ellinor
Party Quiz Mega Q
Phantasy Star IV
Puyo Puyo Tsu
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
Rent a Hero

Rockman Megaworld
Shining Force
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier 2
Streets of Rage 2
Super Fantasy Zone
The Hybrid Front
The Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis)
The Super Shinobi (Revenge of Shinobi)
Thunder Force 3
World of Illusion
Wrestleball
Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen

plus

Columns
Monster World 4
Dynamite Headdy
Assault Suit Leynos (aka Target Earth)
Langrisser 2
Alisia Dragoon
Road Rash 2
Slap Fight MD
Snow Bros.
Lord Monarch

Pretty damn good all things considered. Of those I've played I for sure wouldn't have:

Golden Axe
Rockman Megaworld

On my list, and Columns/Sonic 2 have been released tons already, but 35/40 ain't bad at all

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The true megaton is that it seems that the bad blood between SEGA and EA is over

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I guess I'll finally get to play Alisia Dragoon then? It's weird, I remember being really intrigued by the name and cover art - to the point that I can always immediately recall it - but I never got around to playing it back when I had a Mega Drive. I will finally sate my lifelong curiosity :D

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
These guys are great.
So it's confirmed: SEGA lost the rights to resell Sonic 3, lol.

All we can hope now is that Sega does an effort to recuperate the rights, similar to what Nintendo did to regain the rights to Star Fox 2 and Donkey Kong Arcade.

They said 1 game per series for the Japanese releases and stuck to it.

They broke the rule for the American one, and it has tons of Sonic games, so I would say you guys still have hope.