• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Not the Olympics
Not the Super Bowl
Not the UEFA Champion League Finals.
Not Barcelona Vs Madrid
Not Liverpool Vs Manchester United
Not AC Milan vs Inter Milan
Not Boca vs River

I just saw this ESPN recap from the 2014 WC and I got emotional. Nothing comes close. The WC dominates the entire world for 30 days.

I kinda torn on the new format for the 2024 WC. I think 32 teams is the sweet spot.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean aside from the Olympics all your other examples aren't a global affair so you can't really compare.

With that said, I agree with you.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Not a big soccer/football fan but I do watch the Men's & Women's World Cups and the Euros, and it always feels pretty cool and unique.

Absolutely filthy behind the scenes, of course.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
I got to agree as much as I'm excited for the College National Championship on Monday the WC is another level. You dont even have to give a shit about it but still manage to get swept up in it.

2014 was the first time I was exposed to the WC having a bf at the time who went for France. I watched with him ended up getting into it and picking to go for Netherlands with Germany as a back up.

2018 I wasnt in the relationship anymore but I still felt the desire to watch. I was watching at work and home. Its kinda crazy how much you can get into it even when you dont know fuck all about it.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
True. It's the only month where I give a damn about soccer lol. The Olympics are nice too but the World Cup brings more hype IMO

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody truly likes the Olympics. It's kind of just there and watched because it is there. People who watch the world cup are dedicated to it and watch every game.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Well, considering China and India do not usually participate in the WC (that might change with the new format in 2026), then yes, the Olympics is a bigger tournament.

China loves soccer more than most. There is a reason why there is Mandarin on virtually every single club team's kit in Europe.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Provides quality gifs for years to come too.

9BKqz1m.gif

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone say something different to you OP?

thought it was widely known it's the largest sporting event on the planet.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, considering China and India do not usually participate in the WC (that might change with the new format in 2026), then yes, the Olympics is a bigger tournament.

they do actually, they just never qualify for the finals.

their (China) greatest achievement is seems as qualifying for the 2002 World Cup.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Nope. Most important country in the world doesnt care about soccer, and therefore it's irrelevant.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Football selling out to Qatar/Saudi Arabia the last years is something to behold. Spain/Italy/WC cup and more to come.

Eh, hard to see a leader among the extremely strong contenders
Even Germany bribed FIFA to win the rights for 2006. The World Cup used to be my favorite event out of anything, but FIFA is such a shady organization I feel guilty getting excited over it.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl final has like 100 million viewers and the World Cup final has around 1 billion viewers. So... yeah?