• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
As someone who was ultimately disappointed with FFXV and absolutely loathe booting it up to access the latest jank-fest they've shoehorned in in the hopes it will be fun, I have to say, Hell has finally frozen over.

This was actually incredibly entertaining.

Let's look at the things it does right:
  • It's permanent. Most of the additional patch content FFXV has added has been limited, which forces players to feel rushed to finish it and also excuses the developers from implementing it in an organic way. After all, if people don't like the content they have to access through the main menu, it'll magically disappear in a month, no worries!
  • Fully voice acted.
  • Entertaining cutscene direction and animation.
  • Short and sweet.
  • Platforming, something the main game never capitalized on.
  • We get to see a Miqo'te with modern texture work, something FFXIV has been sorely lacking for years.
  • Meaningful, useful and unique rewards. FFXV's base game lacks a large variety of weapon models and the other crossovers have only given crappy gear only good for screenshots.
  • Multiple FFXIV fanservice moments that you wouldn't expect from FFXV.
The last bullet points I want to reiterate, because this last part absolutely blew me away, so I'll spoiler it for people who are still going to try this out:

You unlock a brand new summon with its own cutscene - an FFXV-remixed Garuda who deals the final blow to FFXIV's Garuda.

This is a massive reward that dwarfs any joke gear or consumable that all patch content has thus far given players.

Is the content perfect? No, it's FFXV, so of course the platforming feels like it was never meant to be a thing (it sucks in 14 too, but still), the actual quest design is kind of lazy (you're asked to open a door, but then the door is locked, so you have to pick up a key five feet from the door and then walk back to the door... maybe it's a commentary on FFXIV's go-here-now-go-there quests).

But outside of the DLC's, this is BY FAR the best developed patch content that this game has added over the course of its life.

I urge anyone who enjoys FFXIV to check this out, it's pure fanservice and the ending is fucking rad as hell.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm interesting. I might put Dragon Quest XI on hold for a while to play this.

FFXV's post-launch support has been magnificent.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
The Terra Wars one is great too. Excited to give this a go. As a huge fan of the game it's a bit bittersweet to jump back in but I'm glad to hear this turned out well

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think i'll reinstall XV to play this, it sounds quite fun and i've a lot of spare time over the coming weeks to find time to play it. I have been catching up XIV over the last few weeks too, so the timing is great.

Deleted member 2913

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to play this but steam is downloading at 157KB/s ....
Saw someone else on steam complaining about the same issue, send help.

Edit - Finally after 10+ minutes it fixed itself.

Last edited:

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the trailer. Looks cool, but the thought of downloading all those gigabytes again is way too scary. Too many other games to play right now. Might come back when I hit a drought (never).

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I've never played XIV, so a lot of it is lost on me, but I got rebought the game on Black Friday weekend (Gamestop had Royal Edition for $20) and was already re-playing XV, so I guess I'll give it a shot.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it. Garuda is one of my favorite primals in FFXIV so it was pretty neat fighting her in a more action styled combat setting. The ending seems to seriously hint at the FFXIV side happening too at least.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
The Terra Wars content is good too. Not in the quest design aspect but the battles are fun and Noctis has great chemistry with Sarah.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The Terra Wars content is good too. Not in the quest design aspect but the battles are fun and Noctis has great chemistry with Sarah.

I just did that event mistaking it for this one lol was kind of confused cause nothing looked like FFXIV but I really enjoyed that and hearing Ashley Burch is always nice. And yeah they had better chemistry.

Portalbox

Oct 25, 2017
100% agree with OP. I'm still super salty because of the DLC cancelation announcements but this patch caught me by surprise. High quality content coupled with a lot of fan service and sweet rewards for the main game certainly made the collab quest stand out.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Time to continue this on PC I guess. Been on chapter 8 for a long time, waiting those new patches. When they were cancelled I became so salty I just didn't care. Have not seen royal edition content yet either so I guess im in for a treat. Excited about that terra wars collab also, have to check it out also.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat this. I really liked it. Sort of weird that the Miqo'te at least in the ENG dub spoke regular american english rather than the old english european style of the actual game. Still really fun and I like the little tease at the FFXIV side of things.

Oct 25, 2017
There's also Hard and Extreme modes of the Garuda fight.
The Extreme mode is level 120.

There seems to be some hidden failure condition that automatically ends the battle with a "Data Incomplete" message though.
I think it's related to items. I don't know why they don't just give you a preset inventory instead of cutting off the battle if you use one too many.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
wait

if Arkeband actually likes something FFXV-related, it must really be good :O

can't wait to check it out later

btw, what did you think about the Terra Wars event? it's an integrated quest too and seemingly permanent (though they haven't officially clarified yet).

OP
OP
Arkeband

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
wait

if Arkeband actually likes something FFXV-related, it must really be good :O

can't wait to check it out later

btw, what did you think about the Terra Wars event? it's an integrated quest too and seemingly permanent (though they haven't officially clarified yet).

I actually never tried it because all of the other patch content was so underwhelming and I never got into Terra Wars so I figured it wouldn't be worth my time, but now I'm gonna go back and try it.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I did it some hours ago and for me it was sueprisingly bad. I expected something much longer considering FFXIV is also a Square IP, instead the Terra Wars dlc was even longer than this. Dialogues are pointless (not pointless as Terra Wars ones, which were straight up useless), you spend your total time in the dlc going around a desert base, killing random mobs, scooting the area and finally you beat a dumb boss. The game gives you another summon, yeah, but what's the point considering how summons work in this game and the fact the game is two years old at this point? People who wanted play it already did, and people who didn't play it maybe pick it up during a bargain sale considering the base game is 10€ in major retailers.

As usual Square support is out of time and meaningless.

OP
OP
Arkeband

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I did it some hours ago and for me it was sueprisingly bad. I expected something much longer considering FFXIV is also a Square IP, instead the Terra Wars dlc was even longer than this. Dialogues are pointless (not pointless as Terra Wars ones, which were straight up useless), you spend your total time in the dlc going around a desert base, killing random mobs, scooting the area and finally you beat a dumb boss. The game gives you another summon, yeah, but what's the point considering how summons work in this game and the fact the game is two years old at this point? People who wanted play it already did, and people who didn't play it maybe pick it up during a bargain sale considering the base game is 10€ in major retailers.

As usual Square support is out of time and meaningless.

I get what you're saying, and yeah, the way summons work in this game really tampers the excitement of the big reward, but it essentially expands the lore of this game in a "show, not tell" way.

If you're not a fan of FFXIV, a lot of this might fall flat for you. For example, the spyglass section is a direct riff on the overused new quest type in FFXIV added in Stormblood. To me, that part was super amusing because I already have a love/hate relationship with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, thank God it's permanent! I'll check it out when I finally replay this with Episode Ardyn. Miqo'te Noctis is the best thing of all time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So wait. The new summon carries over into your save file in the main game? How does it work outside of the crossover content?

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Wait... This is in FFXV?
How did I miss this?

How does one access the FFXIV content in FFXV?

OP
OP
Arkeband

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
So wait. The new summon carries over into your save file in the main game? How does it work outside of the crossover content?

It's actually integrated into the main game, it's not segregated off through some wonky title screen submenu and save file transfer shenanigans.

Wait... This is in FFXV?
How did I miss this?

How does one access the FFXIV content in FFXV?

You go to Cauthess Rest Area after Chapter 4 (I think), and a cutscene triggers, adding the quest to your quest log. Recommended level is at least 45.

Oct 27, 2017
This, the Terra Battle quest, Episode Ignis, all showed improvement one after the other in terms of the quality of the DLC. Really drives home my disappointment that we won't get to see more of this type of content now that all the DLC is cancelled...

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, platforming? Is it easier than Pitioss? Noctis controls like a sack of potatoes when platforming...

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Unlike the Terra Wars event where that just gives you Sarah's sword and puts you back outside the mission as if it didn't happen- the FFXIV event is persistent and will stay completed and there's extra stuff to do after finishing the main story for additional gear.

JoDa

Jan 12, 2018
So I tried beating the lv 120 boss and right when I was giving it the final couple of blows the game just kicked me out of the fight without awarding me the victory, did I do something wrong?

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
Won't play it even if it's great.

I'm not touching FFXV again after they spat in our faces with the dlc cancellation stream.

OP
OP
Arkeband

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
So I tried beating the lv 120 boss and right when I was giving it the final couple of blows the game just kicked me out of the fight without awarding me the victory, did I do something wrong?

I heard it has a bug with the 120 fight, I haven't done that yet because I never bothered to grind out the extra levels when they upped the limit.

My original sentiments still stand even though this seems like it desperately needs a patch.