• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Did her mother, stepbrother or any of the men who raped her prison time?

Pretty sure without them all this wouldn't have happned, and if somebody is "subhuman trash", its them.

Monstress

Sep 9, 2019
This story is horrible on so many levels. I don't have much to say, except that I don't think DP is a good answer. She never had a normal day in her life, and she deserves at least recognition of what has been done to her by her family, the educational system, police, judges, etc.

I also hope the kid is doing well and has a loving entourage.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
If a person commits a violent crime and takes the life of an innocent person then yes I am for murder
People committed violent crimes and took this woman's innocence and life from her. Society failed her every step of the way. Killing these people does nothing for anyone, fixing the problems that led to this point might.

I firmly believe no one is born evil or sadistic.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Yup she's had enough punishment

she deserves freedom..after all I'm sure you'd love to have her babysitting your kids or why not make her a teacher or something right?

How do y'all think the rest of the western world that doesn't have death penalties or "just go to prison forever" penalties handles these things? Do you think they just throw their hands up in the air, say "AH FUCK IT" and let them walk free? Can you really not even conceptualize anything but "Kill them", "Lock them up and throw away the key" or "Just let them walk free"?

Muse98

May 28, 2020
How do y'all think the rest of the western world that doesn't have death penalties or "just go to prison forever" penalties handles these things? Do you think they just throw their hands up in the air, say "AH FUCK IT" and let them walk free? Can you really not even conceptualize anything but "Kill them", "Lock them up and throw away the key" or "Just let them walk free"?
I'm firmly against any system that coddles killers and houses them in luxury resort style "rehab centers"

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Even if one were for the death penalty, her mother and rapists would be far more deserving of it than the person sentenced to it.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people are stuck in binary thinking. If you've done one bad thing, you are evil and should be treated like an evil person forever.

I'm firmly against any system that coddles killers and houses them in luxury resort style "rehab centers"
^ Like this. Perfect example.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
what's the purpose of keeping criminals alive that cannot be rehabilitated?
Thinking that people need to serve some purpose to be worthy of living is territory you shouldn't be straying into.

People who are viewed as unworthy are already herded into environments where theyre more likely to commit crimes and be executed for them. We don't need to go further down that road.

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
Some of these people are horrifying! So many people are full bloodlust that they can't even think about what they're saying. It's fucking disgusting! How the fuck can you have this kind of mentality in 2021. Era is becoming a cesspool!

We literally have posters dehumanising people with mental health problems and saying they should should be killed. Remind you of a facist government anyone?

Yes, what this women did is horrific and she should be punished and she is! The Death penalty is not a punishment though, it's a quick fix to a bigger problem and it doesn't work as a deterrent.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Her actions were reprehensible, but so was everything done to her as a child. Just a fucking tragic shitshow all around.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
I read about her crime which was subhuman.
no you didn't
at most you read the headline, cause every single report about her crime in the recent days have explicitly talked about what she went through when she was young, not the mention that the OP and title of this thread is exactly about that.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
Ok, I've read her full story now. I do pity her, but her crime was so inhumane. She does deserve help, but she also must pay for her crimes.
And that has to be death? She's been incarcerated for well over a decade so far and would be in jail for life regardless of if she was given the death penalty or not. A life for a life isn't the answer, full stop.

Read up on the case and what had happened to Montgomery wasn't even fully revealed to the jury until after she was convicted. It is also batshit insane to me that in America, the jury recommends the punishment. People with little to no legal experience, making a judgment (let's face it, emotion comes into it a fair bit) rather than people who have spent their careers being in the legal profession.

Nobody is saying she should be released straight away. She needs mental help.

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Please show us single system that coddles killers? Or houses them in luxury resort rehab centers.

Sheesh some people in here really do lack empathy. Literally everyone in her life abused her or failed her and people want her killed because of that? Even if the actions she did are beyond horrible, death penalty is never the answer.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
God damn very sad story. She committed a horrible crime of course, but what a fucking sad story sigh.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Calling someone a bad person on account of being for the death penalty is uncalled for, no one is in a position to make such a judgement about someone they know nothing about.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely hope so, it's pretty scary to think that people who think murder is okay like Magnum there are walking around amongst normal people.
I mean, a lot of countries (not most but a lot more than zero, which should be the number) still have the death penalty and have people who support it living there. I don't agree with it but I don't know that it's surprising that there are people out there who are for it.

Muse98

May 28, 2020
Please show us single system that coddles killers? Or houses them in luxury resort rehab centers.

Sheesh some people in here really do lack empathy. Literally everyone in her life abused her or failed her and people want her killed because of that? Even if the actions she did are beyond horrible, death penalty is never the answer.
Empathy gets thrown out the window when the crime involves strangling a woman and ripping an 8 month old child from its mother's womb

Stay of Execution Granted

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
A federal judge has granted her a stay of execution.
www.cnn.com

A federal judge has granted a stay of execution for the only woman on federal death row pending a competency hearing | CNN

A federal judge granted Lisa Montgomery, the only woman on federal death row, a stay of execution pending a competency hearing -- just hours before she was scheduled to die.
A federal judge granted Lisa Montgomery, the only woman on federal death row, a stay of execution pending a competency hearing -- just hours before she was scheduled to die.
Judge James Hanlon of the US District Court for the Southern District of Indiana wrote in the order granting the stay, "Ms. Montgomery's motion to stay execution is GRANTED to allow the Court to conduct a hearing to determine Ms. Montgomery's competence to be executed."
A date has not yet been set for the competency hearing.
Montgomery, 52, was scheduled to die by lethal injection on Tuesday, January 12 at the Federal Correctional Complex in Terre Haute, Indiana.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
i just read the wikipedia and yikes....to be honest I'm against death penalty just because i'd rather nobody be executed than 1 innocent person.

when it comes to this woman obviously she had a tragic life (assuming it's all true), and society does have a part to play when creating a monster but is it enough for her to avoid punishment? IDK but I think considering what she did it's kinda pushing the limits of human empathy.

She is in jail ya know

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
How do you come back from that

Assuming she wasn't born with permanent brain damage to begin with. I would have chosen death over what she went through personally. That's how fucking horrific this story is.

I am at a complete loss what we should do but I agree that the death penalty isn't the answer. Therapy and a calm peaceful existence until she dies is probably enough and though far below the justice she deserves.

She did commit an absolutely terrible crime herself but she isn't responsible for the monster she became. She was broken in half from day one.

So here is the question. Should such a crime happened to such a person, do we give the person the right to choose capital punishment of death penalty or life in prison?

I mean I'm sure that some people might not want to spend the rest of their life in prison even after Rehabilitation. If you were in her position and choose between death penalty and Rehabilitation, but stuck in prison for life without parole, what would you choose?

I know if I did such a heinous crime and I knew I was really young and was told you not getting parole but you'll be spending the rest of your life in prison, it'll be kind of hard reasons to stay alive in prison.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about the punishment she was given, even though I would prefer death penalty to be abolished doesnt change the fact she was sentenced to be executed.

I too love being against the death penalty but for the death penalty if someone is sentenced to death but gets a stay.

This of course is absolutely a coherent world view.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Calling someone a bad person on account of being for the death penalty is uncalled for, no one is in a position to make such a judgement about someone they know nothing about.

If after reading this thread you are calling for the death penalty, and referring to people as "sub-human scum", then I absolutely am in a position to make a judgement call on you. As always I am truly, truly shocked at how fucking evil and awful some posters are on Era when it comes to capital punishment. It's fucking sick, and some of the people in this thread are a terrifying combination of stupid, vindictive and lacking in any semblance of human empathy or emotion.

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Empathy gets thrown out the window when the crime involves strangling a woman and ripping an 8 month old child from its mother's womb
That would be true if it would have been in cold blood without the awful backstory. I mean, it's clear she wasn't sane when that horrible crime happened. I mean, you can be empathic and still say what she did is awful and horrible. But all of that could have been prevented if system would have not failed her.

I mean, you can't look this with binary mindset at all.

Muse98

May 28, 2020
You've already made it very clear from your first post in this thread (that you've now edited) that you don't believe that criminals should be treated like humans. We get it, you think that some people are literal animals and should be caged and euthanized.
For the record you're the one saying this not me.
Not all criminals deserve the death penalty.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Advocating for systemic violence against people you have almost absolute power over is lazy at best. Bit these posters have handily thrown nuance out the window by saying this person is defective and should be disposed of under those grounds.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck at the replies in here.
Put her in an institution for life. Story doesn't say if her abusers got anything thrown at them, did they? Also fucking hell at the complacency of the judges and cops in the story.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
'subhuman scum'.

Yeah, fine people.
I wouldn't defend a statement like that, whomever it was thrown at.
If after reading this thread you are calling for the death penalty, and referring to people as "sub-human scum", then I absolutely am in a position to make a judgement call on you. As always I am truly, truly shocked at how fucking evil and awful some posters are on Era when it comes to capital punishment. It's fucking sick, and some of the people in this thread are a terrifying combination of stupid, vindictive and lacking in any semblance of human empathy or emotion.
I might have been a bit quick to respond, specifically to a general statement made about people that are for the death penalty being bad people, without reading more of what the poster in question had to say. As someone who is staunchly against the death penalty, I can understand why someone would be for it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I am aware and that is good to know...but tell me...

compassion aside...can a person be rehabilitated after committing such an abhorrent crime? To rip a baby out of a mother's womb in cold blood like that...and to kill the mother too...

what good does it do to keep a person like that alive?
Is she really going to be alive spending the rest of her life in a mental institution being tormented daily by what she did?

See what's amazing about this post is it is just the three paragraph version of your initial post of "put her down"

It's not more compassionate and less pathetic because you wrote three paragraphs

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
So here is the question. Should such a crime happened to such a person, do we give the person the right to choose capital punishment of death penalty or life in prison?

I mean I'm sure that some people might not want to spend the rest of their life in prison even after Rehabilitation. If you were in her position and choose between death penalty and Rehabilitation, but stuck in prison for life without parole, what would you choose?
The problem there is how do you assess someone's mental competency to make that decision and also whether they've been pushed into making it by other people?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
It's amazing isn't it. Dehumanisation towards the person that was failed by society.
The circumstances of their life doesn't get taken into account, they're just sub human filth.

What about those people that did nothing? Like her police officer cousin she went to help for and didn't do anything?
To society that let her be abused from birth that didn't save her?

Trump pardoned a person that murdered multiple civilians. I wonder what they thought of that?
Did any war criminal soldiers get the death penalty?

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
It's always funny seeing dumb takes about how the death penalty should totally be allowed and that somehow it's the only way to treat criminals who kill etc.......as others have said, plenty of other countries haven't got a death penalty and have way way lower rates or violent crime and lower rates of criminals re-offending if they have a sentence that allows release, we get on just fine without America's insane need for blood lust.

Also imagine being a person who looks at the American system for prisons and claims somehow they aren't a suitable punishment for a criminal and death is the only suitable one......the fuck is wrong with some Americans when they have a prison system that under international law has been deemed to be committing human rights abuse on the daily, so much so that other countries will refuse extradition requests by the usa pretty often due to not wanting to allow people to be submitted to violations of international human rights laws, and still trying to argue that your prison system isn't a good enough punishment for the insane vengeance you crave.

Also anyone seriously claiming that America's state run/contracted mental health prisons are a hotel style rehab are out of their fucking minds and need to maybe look into how badly the usa has treated mental health issues for decades, or maybe that's the issue. Maybe the Americans claiming such bullshit should reflect on how much reagan and those after underfunded or out right destroyed the way Americans would treat mental health and stop acting like somehow they know know what the fuck goes on in these places before claiming they are all like some celebrity rehab center.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
For the record you're the one saying this not me.
Not all criminals deserve the death penalty.
For the record, you're lying.

"Put her down" were your words. You think she's a sick dog.

And calling rehabilitation centers "luxury resorts" is awfully telling of your worldview. Like if we move prisoners out of iron cages and give them basic human dignity, they'll mistakenly believe they're on vacation.