• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

This is the thread.

Content warning. Graphic violence, sexual assault. Do not read the full thread if these are sensitive to you. It is horrendous.

She obviously belongs in prison. Her crime was horrific, but her life was living hell and the death penalty misses a lot of context in terms of trauma and mental illness. If she had better lawyers, i.e, rich, I doubt this happens.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Death penalty is horrible. I find it awful that so many people stating they're Christians believe in it and support it.

She doesn't even belong in prison, she should be in mental health hospital. Terrible tragedy and terrible story.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i don't even think she should spend her whole life in prison... i hate this whole broken justice system

she need mental care more than anything, just sending her to prison solves nothing in that situation considering what she had to live through... (yeah of course there should be consequences, but there's different circumstance for every crime and they should be taken into account)

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That story is tremendously upsetting. Why are people so fucking awful. These tweets describe an interminable living hell. I don't know what to say.

The death penalty is awful. Fuck this shit.

Muse98

May 28, 2020
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory Rhetoric over a Series of Posts
Put her down

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
I will always be for the death penalty for the lowest sub human scum. Life in prison is not justice imo. I'm a little conflicted on this case because of her upbringing. What happened to her was terrible, but that's no excuse too murder people the way she did. She needs help, but she also must pay for what she did.

Muse98

May 28, 2020
Death penalty is horrible. I find it awful that so many people stating they're Christians believe in it and support it.

She doesn't even belong in prison, she should be in mental health hospital. Terrible tragedy and terrible story.

Can this person be rehabilitated after committing such an awful crime? She's going to be locked up regardless whether it's in a mental institution or in prison.

what's the purpose of keeping criminals alive that cannot be rehabilitated?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Can this person be rehabilitated after committing such an awful crime? She's going to be locked up regardless whether it's in a mental institution or in prison.

You shouldn't need a reason to not murder someone. What's wrong with you?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

Quite a lot of people right here on era tends to come out of the woodworks and declare that they're all for the death penalty in these threads. Some people think the justice system should be a tool for their macabre revenge fantasies.

Edit: Oh shit, unless this is trolling they're already here.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

Had a discussion with people like you some days back on reddit, will never understand that stance.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Seems like a victim of tremendous suffering also. I have no idea if she can be rehabilitated, but if it's possible that she can be helped it seems prudent to try. No one should ever have to endure what she endured, and I have a difficult time placing full responsibility for her actions with her in light of her horror story.

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
she had an awful childhood, but her crime/s were absolutely abhorrent and there is absolute 100% certainty she did it. i'm not opposed to the death penalty in cases like these.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
This story is hearbreaking.

I really wish the teachers at her school went ahead and notified the police, then again the police were told later and never followed it up. They're fucking accountable as far as I'm concerned.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017

Some of us don't want to be party to state sponsored murder. Also the phrase "put her down" which you previously used is hardly appropriate to talk about another human being.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
she had an awful childhood, but her crime/s were absolutely abhorrent and there is absolute 100% certainty she did it. i'm not opposed to the death penalty in cases like these.
If you read the entire thread, similar crimes happen and rarely is the DP used in those cases. Yes, she deserves justice. No arguing there.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Did not expect people in this thread to be in favour of her execution. I have zero doubt someone who went through everything that she did simply cannot be mentally responsible for her actions, no matter how terrible. Nobody with fair judgement and a sane mind would do what she did, executing her solves nothing.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
User Banned (2 Months): Inflammatory and Dehumanizing Rhetoric over a Series of Posts
To me life In prison is not justice, so how do we punish them if we can't kill them ? If these subhuman scum had a conscious, they would just kill themselves and the world would be better off without them.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, great phrasing. Regardless of heinous crimes this is still a human being you're talking about. Want to extend that to people in mental health facilities with no chance of rehabilitation too? I mean, what's their 'purpose'?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Did not expect people in this thread to be in favour of her execution. I have zero doubt someone who went through everything that she did simply cannot be mentally responsible for her actions, no matter how terrible. Nobody with fair judgement and a sane mind would do what she did, executing her solves nothing.
Era has always harbored true dyed-in-the-wool believers of state-sanctioned murder. Thankfully, they're a small minority.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Ban the fucking death penalty. What fucking century is this. What a fucking embarrassment.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Fuck me ragged, some of the comments in here beggar belief. I'm not going to debate them as people in favour of putting others to death rarely change that view.

More on topic though the prison system should be about punishment and rehabilitation. Unfortunately it's mainly a treadmill for big companies to make lots of money. Lock people up, make no effort to help them move past that behaviour, send them back out and then keep the cell nice and warm for when they return (which is likely as around 3/4 of prison inmates in the US will be back in prison within 5 years).

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
i just read the wikipedia and yikes....to be honest I'm against death penalty just because i'd rather nobody be executed than 1 innocent person.

when it comes to this woman obviously she had a tragic life (assuming it's all true), and society does have a part to play when creating a monster but is it enough for her to avoid punishment? IDK but I think considering what she did it's kinda pushing the limits of human empathy.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Well she deprived two other people of that basic human right to life in cold blood, one of which didn't have a chance to see the light of day.
She needs to be punished.
Yes. And she will be.

I just don't
You know the worst criminals, sub human trash

You do know whose terminology you're using here, right?

when it comes to this woman obviously she had a tragic life (assuming it's all true), and society does have a part to play when creating a monster but is it enough for her to avoid punishment? IDK but I think considering what she did it's kinda pushing the limits of human empathy.

How is she 'avoiding punishment'? She'll be locked up for life.

Musician

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
To me life In prison is not justice, so how do we punish them if we can't kill them ? If these subhuman scum had a conscious, they would just kill themselves and the world would be better off without them.

Jesus christ what the hell is up with some of you?

A person who was abused constantly throughout her life INCLUDING BEFORE SHE WAS EVEN BORN , was failed by at the very least the justice system and the educational system on multiple occations finally snaps and does something horrific and your take away is that it's Her and her alone who is at fault?

To execute her and put the blame solely on her is to exonerate all those who did such horrible wrongs. Her mother, her step brother, countless pedophiles, judges, police... the list goes on.

She is a product of a disgusting and broken system. Do not let it wash its hands of the blood she ultimately shed.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK

Compassion is a great answer. I would argue that living in a more compassionate society would be a positive benefit for everybody else, even if it could be proven without doubt that the person in question cannot be rehabilitated at all.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Well she deprived two other people of that basic human right to life in cold blood, one of which didn't have a chance to see the light of day.
She needs to be punished.

Are you serious? Have you read her life story and the trauma she endured? Being abused her whole childhood, gang-raped by her mother "friends" and who knows what else? She would never commit such horrible crime if she had normal childhood. She deserves death because she is ill? That's sick.

Also - you have to be mentally stable to do something "in cold blood". If your worldview is so twisted by huge trauma, you don't know what's really good and evil. You still have to be punished and locked in if you commit crime, but not be killed.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't
You know the worst criminals, sub human trash

At some level I'm appalled. At the same time, it's not uncommon to see human beings being dismissed as "trash" or "a piece of shit" for having a dumb take on twitter these days. If that's the norm I guess it's just a logical step to view actual criminals as completely subhuman.

I hate how the internet so easily enables people to dehumanize their fellow human beings.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Are you serious? Have you read her life story and the trauma she endured? Being abused her whole childhood, gang-raped by her mother "friends" and who knows what else? She would never commit such horrible crime if she had normal childhood. She deserves death because she is ill? That's sick.

Also - you have to be mentally stable to do something "in cold blood". If your worldview is so twisted by huge trauma, you don't know what's really good and evil. You still have to be punished and locked in if you commit crime, but not be killed.

Now now, we can't set the precedent that you can just get away with committing atrocities just because you were habitually raped and abused by your family and denied aid when you sought it for your entire life. If it were that easy then, well, anyone would do it! There must be PuNiShMeNt!!

fucking /s

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if the not knowning when for years and years is almost more of a punishment on Death Row than the actual execution, when / if it happens.