• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
It would be helpful if people don't react defensively when the racial element is correctly pointed out as contributing to the notoriety of this case and other cases. It's not on attack on your person if this case has interested you, it's just an undeniable element of how our culture responds to these sorts of cases and it's as valid to discuss as any other part of this. It does not make the death here any less sad not does it take away. It exists alongside. It's not detailing any more than the rehashing of other elements of the case are. If it doesn't interest you, or you don't want to answer it again, then don't. That's OK.

Even if you feel you were drawn to this for other reasons, or that this is all about true crime fascination (which is often focused on cases involving white victims, too), the early pushing of this case in mainstream media came largely from conservative outlets like Fox News, whose racial politics are so well know that they are not debatable.

Frankly, going "but but but" to explain all the ways you think race isn't involved doesn't disprove that race is involved. It just comes across as being overeager and dismissive. All those elements can be true and don't take away from the fact that her race, age and appearance also contributed to the media coverage.
Good post. Thank you. I wouldn't have been half as articulate and clear had I tried to explain this.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of mods locking, can they just instead hand out warnings and thread bans? it gets frustrating following updates when the locks happen and I would like to avoid having to use Twitter and Reddit for information.

As I've replied above, complete dismissal isn't the most common reaction but it has existed in each of these threads. But the way people try to steer people away from discussing it having a similar effect to complete dismissal.

These threads are largely people asking questions that have been answered. It's that and speculation. But for some reason it's people asking about the racial part that is getting treated this way, not people asking about the timeline over and over (I've done this), or what have you. That's weird.
I get people want to ask questions. I also understand that some will look at this case and wonder why it's gained so much attention when many other cases have not especially when it comes to minorities.

The problem is that it's been answered multiple times across different platforms and yet it's still being asked everywhere. It's gotten to a point where I'm seeing sexist trolls use it to dismiss her death and how no one should care about this case.

I really don't think most people that you perceive as being defensive are doing it because they feel attacked. Most know race plays a part in media attention. It's the fact that a lot of people jumping into the discussion about the case only post this question and some see it as trying to dismiss the victim. Now if you're talking outside ERA then sure I have no doubt there is people dismissing racial elements to media coverage.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
As I've replied above, complete dismissal isn't the most common reaction but it has existed in each of these threads. But the way people try to steer people away from discussing it having a similar effect to complete dismissal.

These threads are largely people asking questions that have been answered. It's that and speculation. But for some reason it's people asking about the racial part that is getting treated this way, not people asking about the timeline over and over (I've done this), or what have you. That's weird.

Similarly, you can understand how annoying the potential implications of people getting so dimissive and irritated about bringing up the completely true and relevant racial part of the media coverage, right? Like asking to get that shuttered off somewhere else says a lot, too. I think if it bothers people, they should just know when people bring it up, it's not a personal attack and they don't have to engage with it. But it is relevant.

Yeah I would agree this instance is relevant to the broader topic of racial bias in missing person cases. A new thread could look at various cases to highlight bias in the system and media coverage, and discuss these things more openly. It's just putting unnecessary strain on this thread, which has already been closed and rebooted a few times.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of mods locking, can they just instead hand out warnings and thread bans? it gets frustrating following updates when the locks happen and I would like to avoid having to use Twitter and Reddit for information.
This. I've found that these threads have been the best way to follow the story and collate new information. Them being continually closed is becoming an issue in itself.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Mods please issue warnings. Same here, I don't like to use Reddit or Twitter. To me their format is so messed up, it's hard to know what is the latest info.

I'd like for at least one thread to remain open.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Point of Comparison and Drive-By Thread Derail
I think for me, it's weird that this story has gotten so much traction on resetera. I realize there are a shit ton of true crime junkies everywhere, and that's the primary driver. But stuff I've read in related threads this week had me confused.

For example, ACAB is a widely accepted concept here here, yet the moment we find out the Laundries aren't cooperating, anyone agreeing with their stance of staying silent is dogpiled. How dare they do that to the poor girls parents, let the lawmen do their job!! Pro legal rights, except when we are positive we've got the bad guy. He fled, he's guilty! No press conferences by the Laundries, guilty! A good deal of (justified) pointing out of racist motivations for so many things, but it's a derail if it's brought up while discussing the mystery!

I personally think it's a disservice to her memory at this point, she's been reduced to a crime novel victim character in a book we're a quarter of the way through reading, thirsty to dive back in for the next development. There are online tears being shed looking through happy IG pics and loving postcards to kids like she was our little sister. But nobody gives a shit about her. Gotta catch that killer and finish the book

I'll leave it alone now, no more derail for me...just so wierd

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I get people want to ask questions. I also understand that some will look at this case and wonder why it's gained so much attention when many other cases have not especially when it comes to minorities.

The problem is that it's been answered multiple times across different platforms and yet it's still being asked everywhere. It's gotten to a point where I'm seeing sexist trolls use it to dismiss her death and how no one should care about this case.

I really don't think most people that you perceive as being defensive are doing it because they feel attacked. Most know race plays a part in media attention. It's the fact that a lot of people jumping into the discussion about the case only post this question and some see it as trying to dismiss the victim. Now if you're talking outside ERA then sure I have no doubt there is people dismissing racial elements to media coverage.

I understand this, and I responded to something similar earlier. In a similar way, when people are reacting the way they are to someone bringing up the racial element, and not reacting that way to the other questions that get asked repeatedly, and appeals are made to completely remove that element of discussion from the thread, that also has implications that are not favorable. I just want people to keep that in mind and ideally just not engage with the parts of the thread that would cause such a reaction in them.

Oct 25, 2017
I think for me, it's weird that this story has gotten so much traction on resetera. I realize there are a shit ton of true crime junkies everywhere, and that's the primary driver. But stuff I've read in related threads this week had me confused.

For example, ACAB is a widely accepted concept here here, yet the moment we find out the Laundries aren't cooperating, anyone agreeing with their stance of staying silent is dogpiled. How dare they do that to the poor girls parents, let the lawmen do their job!! Pro legal rights, except when we are positive we've got the bad guy. He fled, he's guilty! No press conferences by the Laundries, guilty! A good deal of (justified) pointing out of racist motivations for so many things, but it's a derail if it's brought up while discussing the mystery!

I personally think it's a disservice to her memory at this point, she's been reduced to a crime novel victim character in a book we're a quarter of the way through reading, thirsty to dive back in for the next development. There are online tears being shed looking through happy IG pics and loving postcards to kids like she was our little sister. But nobody gives a shit about her. Gotta catch that killer and finish the book

I'll leave it alone now, no more derail for me...just so wierd

Don't think it's weird at all. This case has been documented. There is footage that we can follow. A literal timeline of events. Sure we're "watching" how this unfolds but I think it's disrespectful to say we don't care about her. We want her to get justice and get a potential murderer off the streets.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind her body was also in a park for a few weeks, so it was probably scavenged by animals making identification more difficult.

Of course, that goes without saying. But the point is the FBI said the body was consistent with her description.

If we want to argue it might not be her go ahead, but I'm of the opinion they found Gabby.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
As the father of a teenage girl, allow me to extend a hearty Fuck You. My girl is younger than Gabby but this case has made me so emotional thinking about it. I empthatize with the parents so much and I want them to have some kind of peace of mind knowing what they've lost.

For you to dismiss anyone's emotions regarding this is vile. To write the interest off on this as just being "Content" is vile.
It's not worth it. It's not the first time that poster has wrote stuff like that and at this point I think they are trolling. Hopefully mods can step in and thread ban them.
I understand this, and I responded to something similar earlier. In a similar way, when people are reacting the way they are to someone bringing up the racial element, and not reacting that way to the other questions that get asked repeatedly, and appeals are made to completely remove that element of discussion from the thread, that also has implications that are not favorable. I just want people to keep that in mind and ideally just not engage with the parts of the thread that would cause such a reaction in them.
I'm not even for the removal of it from discussion though I think having a thread to discuss it makes more sense. What bothers me and I assume others is when certain posters first and only question is about the media attention with zero care about the case and victim. I'm seeing misogynists online using this tactic to dismiss violence towards women and this case so it's frustrating seeing that same tactic being used here with nothing else about what happened.

Last edited:

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
As the father of a teenage girl, allow me to extend a hearty Fuck You. My girl is younger than Gabby but this case has made me so emotional thinking about it. I empthatize with the parents so much and I want them to have some kind of peace of mind knowing what they've lost.

For you to dismiss anyone's emotions regarding this is vile. To write the interest off on this as just being "Content" is vile.

I can't even deal with this thread anymore. Mods, please help.
Is there a specific reason you quoted their response the way you did? The way you did it implies something very different versus the way it's actually written. The latter part had more context which you removed.

I don't agree or disagree with their post, I just found it weird that I had to search the quote and not find it how you posted it.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a specific reason you quoted their response the way you did? The way you did it implies something very different versus the way it's actually written. The latter part had more context which you removed.
Because that was the part of the post that I got fed up. I don't care how much backpedalling is added.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Why does this story engender so many locks here? I'm not watching it like a hawk but the same topic just keeps getting locked. I don't get it.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
For me the story picked my interest after I saw a couple of titles on reddit and the details sounded really strange. I haven't even seen a picture of the people involved until I actively started looking for details.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Why does this story engender so many locks here? I'm not watching it like a hawk but the same topic just keeps getting locked. I don't get it.
There is already a mod warning about discussing what happened in the previous threads and why they were locked. You can go back and read the threads to see why but otherwise it's best to leave it.

I'm only asking they please don't lock this thread and instead focus on warnings and bans so we don't have to rely on information given outside of ERA.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO

I can't even deal with this thread anymore. Mods, please help.
While I don't disagree with your emotional sentiment, you're sort of cherry picking, no? The post you quoted was taken completely out-of-context compared to the actual content or point he was trying to make.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
For example, ACAB is a widely accepted concept here here, yet the moment we find out the Laundries aren't cooperating, anyone agreeing with their stance of staying silent is dogpiled. How dare they do that to the poor girls parents, let the lawmen do their job!! Pro legal rights, except when we are positive we've got the bad guy.
Most of us are critical of the police, and know they are often unreliable/untrustworthy. However, we also know how to read a situation. We weren't all born yesterday. The Laundrie family's behavior has been lousy with red flags.

That silence was at the cost of the Petito family, who dealt with radio silence for weeks, while their daughter's body was left to the elements.

Brian and his family are due the benefit of the doubt from our legal system, but the rest of us are free to speculate and judge their actions based upon the information at hand.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure that approaching the subject as "it's just another woman dead, what's the fuss?" is helping any discussion.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
While I don't disagree with your emotional sentiment, you're sort of cherry picking, no? The post you quoted was taken completely out-of-context compared to the actual content or point he was trying to make.
But how about we stop applying our personal perspective to other people, assuming the worst in others… the point made by the OG post honestly made me roll my eyes. It's fine if you feel jaded about the subject and other aspect of society, but the way it was expressed is almost violent.
I think we ought to respect the fact that some people are invested for various reasons. Granted, some of them can be verging on strange obsessions, but whose to say that most people in this thread don't actually care about justice being rendered?
I legit cried yesterday for this girl that I don't even know because I'm an hypersensitive person and I react very strongly to situations like these. Perhaps a lot of people see it as some kind of macabre entertainment, but others do find solace into finding elements answering their questions and how can the human mind get to a point of no return like violence.
I feel like the cake girl in Mean Girls, but let's not all be jaded on these subjects. It's a heavy enough subject as it is. No judgement towards anyone.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
New(?) little tidbit at the end of this recap report from today. A text Gabby sent her mom on Aug 27th referred to her Grandpa by name ("Stan" instead of "Grandpa") making her mom think Gabby may not have sent that text either.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much sums up my feelings. Also telling people who bring it up that "this has already been brought up before" isn't really helpful tbh. Some of this seems really defensive and as if a distraction from the elephant in the room.

I didn't write my comment to attack anyone, nor have I been part of the the discussion surrounding this case until I made my comment. I think it's okay to bring this up and talk about it.
it's fine to not have been part of the discussion before, but it seems like you didn't even read the first page of this thread before you jumped in asking if you were the only person to notice an extremely obvious and non-disputed aspect of this case which has been repeatedly been brought up and discussed multiple times already in this thread and every previous thread surrounding gabby's disappearance.

Oct 27, 2017
New(?) little tidbit at the end of this recap report from today. A text Gabby sent her mom on Aug 27th referred to her Grandpa by name ("Stan" instead of "Grandpa") making her mom think Gabby may not have sent that text either.

Yeah, that's not normal. I can't recall ever hearing anyone refer to a grandparent by their first name. Likely he sent it, because he probably didn't refer to Stan as grandpa and slipped up.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
To get things back on topic

Just a correction from earlier in the thread. Josh Taylor, the police officeer from North Port that has taken the PR lead on this, can be seen in a video clip stating that Brian was seen by the officers but they did not speak with him. If that's true, then he was at home at least when she was reported missing and they went over there, possibly Saturday the 11th. After it's not certain.

Yeah, that's not normal. I can't recall ever hearing anyone refer to a grandparent by their first name. Likely he sent it, because he probably didn't refer to Stan as grandpa and slipped up.

Yeah the eerie scene at the van was on camera on the 27th. It's getting more and more likely this happened the 26th, or possibly early the 27th. If he killed her at night, he could have buried the body in the darkness.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018

Lol at "Gabby's fiance"? If this guy was a POC it would be suspected killer of Gabby

WAIT WAIT WAIT

So the call was this guy was slapping Gabby around and hit her and then they drove off?

WTF.

So it wasn't her just hitting him but he was slapping her around in public?

Oct 30, 2017
Lol at "Gabby's fiance"? If this guy was a POC it would be suspected killer of Gabby

WAIT WAIT WAIT

So the call was this guy was slapping Gabby around and hit her and then they drove off?

WTF.

Of course it wasn't just her hitting him. Gabby was triggered by something. Initially it was because BL had criticized the trip and her ambitions and was later suspected of grabbing her face and pushing her back. But I'm not going there again.

But I never believed that he just escaped her without putting hands on her first. Dude is a bastard.

Oct 25, 2017

WAIT WAIT WAIT

WTF.

Someone did say she could have hit him as well as a response to him hitting her. But yea the call definitely says he was hitting her around.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
For sure.

And for the record re: "waah twitter/reddit", r/news is a perfectly fine place to get updates.
It's not that we can't find trustworthy news on both those platforms when we complain about having to. It's that a lot of these have open misogynists, spam and misinformation spread around that I don't feel like engaging with. I was using both while reading this thread and I didn't like it.

That is creepy and was most likely written by him.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
The fake texting stuff is so bizarre, even for this case. Not sure what to make of it.

it's fine to not have been part of the discussion before, but it seems like you didn't even read the first page of this thread before you jumped in asking if you were the only person to notice an extremely obvious and non-disputed aspect of this case which has been repeatedly been brought up and discussed multiple times already in this thread and every previous thread surrounding gabby's disappearance.
Thank you.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Of course it wasn't just her hitting him. Gabby was triggered by something. Initially it was because BL had criticized the trip and her ambitions and was later suspected of grabbing her face and pushing her back. But I'm not going there again.

But I never believed that he just escaped her without putting hands on her first. Dude is a bastard.

Someone did say she could have hit him as well as a response to him hitting her. But yea the call definitely says he was hitting her around.

:-(

This guys was straight lying to police and saying that he never hit her and that the only thing that happened from his end was coming into the van with dirt on his shoes.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
And of course the fact that the body cam footage does seem to give the impression that she took much of the responsibility herself, like she was to blame. Obviously that's not the reality that's unfolding, but I wonder how much that affected the officer's opinions when they were there. Seemed they thought that both were the cause and it wasn't just one-sided.

Oct 25, 2017

WAIT WAIT WAIT

WTF.

Holy shit! That makes the body cam footage and the "bro, emotional woman, am I right" attitude from the cops even worse.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

Yeah, I have never called a grandparent by their first name and I'm goign to guess 90%+ in this thread haven't either.

The fake texting stuff is so bizarre, even for this case. Not sure what to make of it.

Thank you.
It's why it's really looking like it wasn't premeditated. The guy seems to not have had a plan at all. He sends texts the first couple of days after her death for Gabby. He keeps her vehicle in a spot right next to the body for 2-3 days, which is likely why Gabby's body was found as quicky as it was. He hikes for miles and miles for two days, only to end back at the van anyway and to drive it home without her.

He's either the dumbest murderer or he was panicking and changing his mind about what to do on the fly.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have never called a grandparent by their first name and I'm goign to guess 90%+ in this thread haven't either.

It's why it's really looking like it wasn't premeditated. The guy seems to not have had a plan at all. He sends texts the first couple of days after her death for Gabby. He keeps her vehicle in a spot right next to the body for 2-3 days, which is likely why Gabby's body was found as quicky as it was. He hikes for miles and miles for two days, only to end back at the van anyway and to drive it home without her.

He's either the dumbest murderer or he was panicking and changing his mind about what to do on the fly.
Nothing about this guy is screaming "plans." The snippets we have about him make me think he is deeply stupid and that every action he's taken since whatever he did to her has been about immediate self-preservation.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea if he sent that he was just thinking he needs to send something. She was in contact with her family on the trip so her just not responding would no doubt have gotten them worried.